2001 Ford Expedition wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Expedition:

2001 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 252010

Expedition

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Expedition equipped with Continental contri trac aw tires, line size P275/60/R17. The contact was driving 60 mph when the tread of the rear passenger tire separated. The contact installed the spare tire. He stated that he had not noticed any prior issues with the tire. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The dot number was unavailable. The failure mileage was approximately 85,230 and the current mileage was 85,239.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Jun 242010

Expedition

My family's Ford Expedition had a goodrich long trail T/a tire disintegrate due to ply separation. We did not hit anything and the tire was properly inflated. This happened at 10:30 pm on a 70 mph highway.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Feb 152008

Expedition

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Expedition. The vehicle had Continental grabber aw tires, size P275/60R17 (na) three years ago. At that time, all four tires had to be replaced because the vehicle drove roughly and the tires began to form bubbles. The tires were replaced at 30,000 miles at the contact's expense, even though there was a safety recall. The vehicle currently has general Continental Contitrac SUV tires, size 275/60R17 (na) and they are experiencing the same failure. The contact would like to be reimbursed for the first set of tires that he replaced and to have the current tires replaced. He referenced NHTSA campaign id number 02T012000 (tires:tread/belt). The dot number was unknown. The vehicle current mileage was 68,000 and failure mileage was 30,000. The tire failure mileage was 5,000.

- Loxahatchde, FL, USA

May 192007

Expedition 4WD

My 2001 Ford Expedition with Continental 265/70 tires purchased at wal-mart on 8/05 started vibrating really bad on 5/07, went to wal-mart for balance & rotate and tire inspection. Wal-mart said tires looked fine. Driving on the freeway 1 tire separated. Got in replaced with the same brand. 6/07 another tire separation on freeway.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 212006

Expedition

1. Ford Firestone tire recall: 12/2/02 all tires replaced as per recall requirements. Mileage: 15750. 2. Friday, 4/21/2006: During a road trip this past weekend, my right front tire shredded. I heard thudding noises, pulled off the I-75, checked around my 2001 Ford Expedition, was unable to see anything wrong. However a few miles later, I realized something was seriously wrong and pulled off of the freeway. I called 911 sometime between 3 and 3:15 pm 4/21/06 for roadside assistance. Tim the towman towed my vehicle off the freeway to a nearby gas station. There he observed that the right front tire had shredded. The shredding process caused damage as follows: A) right front bumper now dangles because screws sheared off apparently; B) tire casing needs to be resecured, since it was flapping. C) there may be additional damage to the undercarriage as well as cables. Est. Mileage: 47600. 3. tim the towman replaced the shredded tire with my full-size spare. He used twine to temporarily support the rf bumper. He temporarily secured the tire casing. The following Monday, I called Ford customer no-service. They said that a local dealership would need to corroborate my story before they could determine whether Ford was liable to replace the shredded tire (and possibly replace all of the others, as well), and to pay for the repairs needed on the front bumper and casing. The tallahassee Ford dealership has a poor reputation, so I was permitted to take my Expedition to the Lincoln-Mercury dealership. After hearing my story and examining my vehicle, the service manager said that Ford offered no warranty on the replacement tires. Even if they had replaced defective tires with defective tires, they did not stand behind their product. He offered to give me a discount on Michelin tires (four) to replace the Continental tires. He said there was little tread left on the remaining tires. These tires have slightly over 30,000 miles on them.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Aug 022005

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Since I got the truck the electric system has been failing, also the brakes failed to operate while on the freeway and almost had us killed. The back door locks by itself and can't be opened. Air comes in from the front windshield and it also leaks when it rains. All four tires were very wasted, also I was lied about the interest rate. I was told that my interest would be 6.78% and in the contract it appears as 12.15%.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 022002

Expedition 8-cyl

Tire recall from Continental tires.. the consumer noticed the vehicle had a bumpy ride, when he checked the vehicle, he noticed the right rear tire was damaged, the rubber had partially separated from the tire and the wires were exposed. The consumer experienced the same problem 3 months later. The consumer was informed of a recall, but it had already ended.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Oct 102004

Expedition

Tire separation on a 2001 Ford Expedition causing damage to the front and side panel of the vehicle.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 212004

Expedition

At 30 mph consumer noticed one of the tires was making a rumbling noise. Consumer replaced all four tires. Fireston stelltex, size atlt265/75R16.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 252003

Expedition

While driving rear left tire fell off of vehicle.

- Camp Lejeune, NC, USA

Sep 192003

Expedition

While driving front passenger side tire separated without warning.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Aug 112003

Expedition 8-cyl

This is a modified copy of a letter sent to Continental tire of North America, Inc. And to Ford Motor Company. The reason for informing the NHTSA of this is the hope that these companies will be held accountable for the products they sell the american public. I drive is a 2001 Ford Expedition, which at the time of the incident had 26,000 miles on it and came stocked with General Grabber aw tires dot# adt044T4900 size 275/60/17. The reason for this letter is not only to inform you of my disgust, but also to inform you that this tire caused close to $3,000 worth of damage to my vehicle and also put my family and I in danger on that day and every other day we drove on general tires. I also was told by several tire distributorships, the tires were poorly made and in order for Ford to make a buck and Continental tire co to increase their profit margin equipped thousands of Ford vehicles with an inferior product. I donT expect poor quality on any part of a vehicle that costS more then $40,000, which is why I am forwarding this letter to Ford Motor Co. As a result, I have lost all faith and confidence in your ability to produce a tire that is suitable for the american public, as well as Ford to produce a superior product for itS customers. This is why I am asking for total reimbursement for all costs, including replacement of all tires to another brand and cost of a rental vehicle while my car is being repaired. (all receipts are included, but this is an estimate and not a final total.) it should also be noted that I did hurt my back during this incident, but did not receive medical attention. I put this in the claim information report so if anything arises you can be informed. The tire in question will be sent out of gainesville tx this week. Your prompt attention to this matter is appreciated. Cordially, bill coury.

- Helena, AL, USA

Jun 112003

Expedition

Consumer states that while driving at 50mph and with no warning the rear passenger tire blewout. Dealer notified.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

May 052003

Expedition

Vehicle's right rear tire had a blow out while driving without cause.

- Naples, FL, USA

May 022003

Expedition

The consumer received a recall notice on 10/25/02 from Continental which stated that there was a recall on the Continental tires General Grabber aw P275/60R17. The consumer has not received replacement tires because they are on back order. Recall #02T012000.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Feb 242003

Expedition

Consumer inquired about reimbursement program for failed tires.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Jan 092003

Expedition 8-cyl

Consumer is concerned that tire recall replacement does not comply with the owners manual instructions. Tire recall called for replaced Continental tire P275/60R17 General Grabber aw with smaller tires P265/70R17 contential Contitrac tires.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Dec 032002

Expedition 8-cyl

(NHTSA recall# 02T012000) Continental tire told the consumer that the tires on the vehicle were not a part of the recall. They also said that the numbers didn't match, therefore the service was declined. The consumer called the dealer and was told that the recall did in fact include her vehicle's tires and that Continental tires should have reimbursed her. Ts scc

- San Bernadino, CA, USA

Oct 252002

Expedition

Left rear tire went flat in drive way due to road hazard, when tire was changed noticed 3" crack in sidewall. Went to general representative, where they found all other tires had crack in sidewall all of which were at least 1" wide. General rep., states they are unsafe to drive on. Tire manuf. Uncooperative.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 252002

Expedition

Prior to leaving my house for a trip to Napa valley with my family, I checked the tire pressures on all four tires to ensure the safety of my passengers and myself. I have 6 relatively small-sized adult and a child as passengers. 25 miles into the trip, travelling on the slow lane of interstate 880, I heard a popping sound as if something hit the underside of my vehicle. A few seconds later, I can see smoke from behind through my side mirror and a shudder. Realizing I had a flat tire, I was able to pull over to the side of the freeway. The outer sidewall of the tire completely separated itself from the rest of the tire. An officer of the California highway patrol by the name of officer espiritu assisted us in getting back on the road again. I was not able to get pictures of the damaged tire then because of safety concern but I was able to take some pictures of it as soon as I got home. The aaa tow truck driver/mechanic who helped us even commented that the tire is still in good shape. The time and date of the incident was between 9:15 - 9:45 am of August 25.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA