2002 Ford Expedition miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Expedition:

2002 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Jan 212013

Expedition 8-cyl

During inspection it was noticed that the upper and lower rear control arms were rusted through and unsafe. Had them replaced including the rusted through shocks. Hood and roof paint shows serious paint peeling and bubbling.

- Landenberg, PA, USA

Jun 182011

Expedition 8-cyl

I pulled my Ford Expedition 2002 into a gas station, turned off the engine, and got out to pump gas. I began to notice that everyone else began frantically leaving and telling me to run. I saw smoke coming from my hood and assumed that it was just running hot but soon realized that the engine was off. Within seconds I began to see flames and ran in fear that the entire gas station was going to explode. Luckily fire trucks came within a minute a put the flames out and no one was harmed.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Nov 252008

The spark plug in my 2002 Ford Expedition blew out while I was driving the speed limit on the highway. After this happened, I tried unsuccessfully to get my car repaired at a non-dealer mechanic. Every mechanic I called said that they would not touch my car because of the engine and the threads being insufficient. And that most of the repairs are not lasting so the situation escalates to the point where they are losing money to fix this problem that they did not create. The dealer fixed my car and said that the fix has no warranty even though it cost me $1116.98 to repair. I was also told that the problem is common. And that 1 in 100 of the repairs do not hold. The spark plug repair is recommended at the 100K tune-up mark. My car has had all maintenance recommended by the manufacturing including the every 3K mile oil changes. This should not have happened to my car. It was near but not over the 100K mark. And even if the spark plugs had been changed as recommended, the coil would have still blown because the problem is with the thread on the engine, not the plug itself. This item should be recalled and Ford knows that they are responsible for putting safe cars on the roads. Thank you, vicki bezio

- Spring Valely, CA, USA