2002 Ford Expedition wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Expedition:

2002 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Oct 062006

Expedition

Traveling at highway speed my vehicle developed a distinct vibration shortly followed by a tread separation. We reduced speed and pulled into a service station where the spare was installed. The same scenario took place approximately one week later with a different tire. The vehicle is a 2002 Ford Expedition, purchased new in October 2001, and currently having less than 30,000 miles on it. Tires (General Grabber aw) are original equipment and have been routinely rotated and inspected by the dealer during scheduled maintenance. After the first incident, the spare was put on--it, too, is a General Grabber aw, same age as the others--and a new spare was purchased. That spare was put on after the second incident. I have the two defective tires. General tire was contacted and they will not replace the unsafe tires.

- Cocoa Beach, FL, USA

Jun 152006

Expedition 8-cyl

Vehicle with 29,300 miles. Lightly driven, well maintained, inspected, tires checked & oil changed March of 2006. Borrowed my mom's Expedition. (big mistake), leaving the houston area headed for saint louis we got about 200+ miles before the tread came off. Tomball Ford, Ford company & Continental / General Grabber tires changed our lives. Headed in bound in the right or center lane a grassy steep median seperated the South bound traffic. Felt a small bump so I took my foot off the accelerator to slow down & lightly braked to pull over to the right, I didn't have a chance to hit the brake when the right rear passenger tire tread came off, tried maintaining a straight direction to slow the vehicle down, but being so top heavy no matter how hard I tried it shot toward the median leaning to the passenger side where my teenage son was. Thank god he partially laid back his seat & seat belt on. When it rolled on the passenger side, from this point I am told (we both hit our heads & were unconcious) SUV shot out of the median upside down onto another car we contined to roll across the S-bound lanes & came to a stop facing East. Airbags didn't delploy, all windows were busted out(xcpt 2), driver door is the only door that opened. My son & I are thankful, I received staples to the back of my head, I have to have an mri on my head & neck, son has to have his shoulder & hip checked. Drivers seat broke loose, entire dash was destroyed. People in the other car were visiting from another country (I'm filled with sorrow & a lot of counseling ahead of me) their families are in my prayers & thoughts daily, two of the people in the other car passed away upon impact. I didn't know another car was involved. An er lady was talking about the wreck, mentioned 2 people died. I was thinkng no we didn't we are right here. I got the medic there to give me the details. All due to a faulty tire that had problems 00 & 01 model owners were notified but not 02 owners. P275/grabbers.

- Spring, TX, USA

Feb 172006

Expedition

I have a 2002 Ford Expedition SUV with tire problems. I had a tire tread detachment separation on a General Grabber aw tire P275/60R17 on 2/17/06. The same tires that are on my vehicle were recalled for year 2000 and year 2001 Ford Expedition SUVS in 2002 (reference NHTSA campaign id number 02T012000). I have called the Ford company and they have told me they could not do anything about this problem. All the tires seem to have a slight vibration problem. It has not ridden smoothly since I bought the vehicle in 2002. I had Ford check it in 2002 and they said it just had vibration due to it being a SUV. The tire vibration became worse just before the tire failed and had the tire rubber detachment separation. I would like to see if you can help me to get Ford to replace these tires and pay me for the tire that failed also. These tires are a safety hazard.

- Niceville, FL, USA

Apr 172005

Expedition 8-cyl

There was no accident, but substantial damage to my SUV caused by the tire tread separation at 65 mph. This problem is similar to the class action lawsuit settled last year by Ford regarding tire tred separation on their SUV line. My Expedition had a tred separation on the left front tire at 65 mph, which caused damage to the bumper, wheel well, and running board. The tire was still perfectly inflated, but the entire tread, which is still hardly worn, completely separated from the tire, causing this damage. I talked to Ford customer service, and they said it was my responsibility as it is out of the 36,000 mile waranty. They are lucky my SUV didn T flip over and kill me, like many before me who had this same problem. These are the original factory tires that Ford installed on my new Expedition. I feel they are responsible for replacing the tires and fixing the damage caused by their defective product. I would like Ford to repair the damage to my SUV caused by their defective tire. I would also like Ford to replace the remaining tires so that this doesn't happen again.

- Chuluota, FL, USA

Nov 242004

Expedition 8-cyl

During our thanksgiving holiday, I was traveling at highway speeds with my family on my way from phoenix, AZ to las cruces, nm when the right rear General Grabber aw P275/60R17 factory installed tire of my 2002 Ford Expedition experienced tread separation. There was no police report nor were there any injuries. The tire did not deflate, but it did an estimated $2,241.47 in damage to my Expedition when the tread separated. Please note that the tires were inflated as recommended as indicated on the door sticker. I check the air in my tires prior to each trip as the safety of my family matters most. This right rear tire was inflated to exactly 33 psi the day before the trip. I have submitted a claim to Continental North America who deny any workmanship and/or material fault. They only want to offer $1,000 in goodwill, which will not cover the damages caused by the tire tread separation.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Oct 222004

Expedition 6-cyl

While driving, a loud noise was heard coming from the front. Consumer pulled over, and noticed that the right rear tire tread separated from the wheel. Consumer changede the tire. Continental, general, P265/70R17.

Sep 242004

Expedition 8-cyl

While driving the steering wheel shook and a loud noise was heard coming from the front. The consumer was able to maintain control of the vehicle, and pulled over. The driver's side tire tread separated from wheel. The consumer was able to change the tire, and drove the vehicle to the dealer for inspection. General, Continental, P265/7or17. Two defective tires were found. The tire/tread. GM stopped making these tires due to problems. Another tire may be seperating.

Sep 232004

Expedition

While driving 35 mph the rear passenger side tire tread separated without warning. Please provide additional information.

Sep 102004

Expedition

While driving 70 mph the front driver side tire tread separated without warning. As a result the vehicles bumper was damaged. The consumer stateed this is the third occurrence. Please provide additional information.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Jul 162004

Expedition 8-cyl

The steering was erratic. The vehicle was taken to a dealership, who indicated that 3 out of the 4 tires were defective, and the belts were separating. Also, indicated that the tires weren't covered under any kind of warranty. There was tread separation recall 02T01200 on this issue but the consumer wasn't notified.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Aug 052004

Expedition 8-cyl

Treads separated from the tire, while still inflated and caused damage to rear fender of Ford Expedition. Previously reported problem under claim number 10024727. Contacted Continental under the claim and was told my tires did not fall within the recall dot numbers which contradicted the information provided by your Agency. The tire dealership also told me the other tires were bad. Tires are being sent to Continental for investigation.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Nov 092003

Expedition 8-cyl

Continental tire/ grabber aw dot adt044T4001. While driving on I10 with my wife and four small sons, tread peeled away from R/R tire and caused $5,900 in damage to R/R fender area.

- La Quinta, CA, USA

Jan 292003

Expedition

The vehicle experienced a flat tire.

- Chicago, IL, USA