4.7

2. replace door (1 reports)
2003 Ford Expedition body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Expedition:

2003 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Jan 022007

Expedition XLT 5.4L

So the paint issue started some time after the warranty period expired. At first it was just bubbles appearing and I wasn't concerned. I took it into a ford dealer and they said it would need to be repainted which of course i would have to pay for since it wasn't under warranty. I didn't want to do that so i waited. I was then rear ended by a semi which only resulted in very very minor damage to the plastic bumper. (thankfully he was only going 5mph) The damage i had repaired and at the time i asked them if they could fix the paint on the door, they were able to repaint the entire door and it seemed to be fixed. Fast forward to about 5 years ago, 2010 and I noticed the paint bubbling again. It has gotten progressively worse since and now it peeled off in several areas. I took it to a body shop, they said oh yeah ford is aware of this problem. It has to do with the metal they used and the bonding process. Its going to cost you $3000 for a new door. I was told they couldn't fix it because its a problem with the metal. (Frankly i think that's a load of crap) in any event this is an issue with many many fords and ford refuses to address or fix it.

- , Anchorage, AK, USA

Mar 212007

Expedition Eddie Bower 5.2L

click to see larger images

paint peeling off paint peeling off paint peeling off

i am just upset that a few years ago when i talked to a dealer about this they said "it is rust" and i have no coverage on it, and i left!!

now my car has 80,000 miles and that is still a problem.

- , Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Jan 022011

Expedition Eddie Bauer

Ford is horrible not only is the paint peeling off my hood and tailgate but it started happening after the warranty was up I have taken to body shops and it is starting to bubble again. Also fuel coil pack in this vehicle are a pain I have replaced them all and now the stupid radio display is not showing when it is cold outside.

- , Herndon, VA, USA

Jun 012009

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Paint on rear door did not bond to the metal; initially started to bubble and then eventually flaked off. Began after warranty expired so never raised directly with dealer.

- , Ottawa, ON, Canada

Aug 012008

Expedition Eddie Bauer V8

The paint on the window trim is peeling off! I took my car to one of the "no touch" car wash places and noticed a small scratch in the paint around the widow. I dismissed it and drove home. Well, within a week air got under the paint on the trim and started to bubble...then just ripped off. Now I have an ugly patch of missing paint on the drivers side. Well, if that wasn't bad enough the same thing happened within a month on the passengers side. What the heck?????? Ford used the wrong product to paint over. If you look at the newer model Fords they switched to a plastic like trim...not paint on top of some shiny metal. Help!!! I don't want to pay to have this defect corrected.

- , Beaufort, SC, USA

Dec 012008

Expedition

Just another thing that goes wrong with FORD, I suppose!! Does everyone that has FORD have all these types of problems???

- , Speedwell, TN, USA