1. replaced complete fuse box (4 reports)
  2. replaced fuse/relay circuit board (2 reports)
  3. replaced pcm relay (1 reports)
2003 Ford Expedition electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Expedition:

2003 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Jan 162015

Expedition LX 4.0L

I have a 2003 Ford Expedition 4.6 V8, engine at a 12,000 miles. On 01/16/2015 my wife was driving it on the 5fwy in Los Angeles California (south CA), the truck turned off, she was going at 70 miles, luckily there was no heavy traffic so she was able to pull to the emergency line.. She called me, told the problem, got the car to our house with a tow truck that a friend of mine owns. I'm a SE ratified mechanic technician, fuel injection, carburetors, electrical, etc. so I started to diagnostic the problem and I found out that the gas pump had shut off. I checked the pump, it worked, I check the fuse, it was fine.. The problem was that there is an internal relay for the fuse pump and that is the problem. I have three videos posted on YouTube, look under 2003 Ford Expedition XLT4.6 Cranks Won't Start. I replaced the fuse box and saved me $$ because I did the work,,

Update from Feb 1, 2016: Has been a year since my first incident, at exactly a year the problem came back this time on 01/19/2016, my wife and I where driving on the 118 West FWY and the truck turned off again, completely shut off. Again, luckily not heavy traffic on the fwy. I was able to pull to the emergency lane, tow my truck to my house and I'm working on getting the fuse box refurbish by a company named gaugerepairman, it's on eBay.

This is a serious problem someone or family's can result in danger, fatality. Please, if any one else is going through this, post complaints so Ford Can take care of this problem or maybe we all just should do a lawsuit for Diligence.

- , Panorama City, CA, USA

Mar 022015

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Back in March 2015 I was driving my 2003 Expedition to work since my wife mentioned that it was dying on her. It did not die on my way to work but on my way to help a friend out it died! Now I am stuck on the freeway was going 60 mph had to pull over really quick since it was heat of the day traffic (5pm). Had to wait up to a minute than it started right back up. Drove another few miles and bam same thing happens.

Now I had to tow home which was only $50 because I can't trust it to stay running. Went through common issues first spent about 2 hours checking fuses, battery, alternator. got no where with that hooked up a MAC code reader to it and it came back with Fuel problems. I than checked all fuel injectors and fuel filter all were fine but replaced fuel filter any way $12. Then I went to fuel tank to check the fuel pump (you have to drop the fuel tank usually a good idea to have another person along with you to help with the weight.) which checks out fine. NOW I am scratching my head as to what could be the problem.

Just to remind you the SUV still starts but never stays on for more than a min or 2 at this point. Went online scouring the internet to see if anyone else has run into same issues that I have. Finally found a helpful tips on Youtube which shows if you take the fuse box completely out and completely apart there is a circuit board in there that has a melted relay that runs for your fuel pump.( Tada found the problem now the bad thing is you can't find just the circuit board or the relays because they are soldered into the board.

There are a few people online (Ebay) that will fix that portion for you but the main problem is that water is allowed to get in there via the sun roof. So I have since bought a brand new fuse box which doesn't allow water into the box and also redirected the drain tube for the sun roof. So if you have this issue please take the time to do as I have and post something on here or anywhere so that others can find a solution to there issue ten times faster than going through a ton of things and most likely a lot of money.

- , Salem, OR, USA

Feb 272015

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Ford does know this is an issue and should be issuing a recall. If there is a sunroof, the drain runs down the passenger side and somehow gets in behind the fuse block causing condensation to build up on the block and causing it to short out after time. They should look into this to find out where the leak is, and fix the problem, and replace the block.

- , Harrisonville, MO, USA

Feb 142013

How can a car with less than 100k miles have problems

- , Brooklyn, Kings, USA

Feb 032013

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

This was a problem that would happen irregularly. The picture shows a hole melted in the corner of the integrated fuel pump relay and discoloration on the circuit board caused by a bad solder connection.This situation is potentially a dangerous one when the vehicle stalls in an intersection with my wife driving. The vehicle was really undependable until spending a lot of time and money and hours on computer forums to repair the problem myself. A lot of 2003 Expedition and Lincoln Navigator owners have had the same problem. I truly believe that Ford Motor Company Knows about this problem (poor quality control) and should have been a recall situation.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 272009

Expedition XLT 4.6L

The car would not start had it towed from Jackson NJ to Elizabeth NJ cost 250.00

then after replacing the 18.00 Relay it happened again

- , Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Feb 062009

Expedition XLS 4.6L

Vehicle would shut off w/o warning. No computer error stating problem. Wasted time, missed work, could not tell or know when it would shut off. $350 of my own money spent at useless ford dealer by a FORD CERTIFIED mechanic did not fix, just took my money. Independent auto mechanic garage made correct diagnosis in 20 minutes, ordered board and replaced. Has worked fine since

- , Cumberland, MD, USA