1.2

2003 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Expedition:

2003 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 042014

Expedition 8-cyl

Driving down state highway when the battery gauge went to "L" and the ABS light came on. The engine was still running. Pulled into apartment complex parking lot and the engine shut off. All lights and bells were still working. Aaa was called and performed a diagnostic and determined the starter was going bad. The starter is less than 2 years old as is the battery. Was told it was safe to drive home. Took vehicle to local repair shop where another diagnostic test was performed and was told it was not the starter nor the battery and another diagnostic should be performed to determine cause. Engine has not shut off while driving since but am apprehensive to drive very far from home. Will wait for 3rd diagnostic test.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 202013

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Expedition. The contact stated while driving various speeds the engine stalled without any warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle each time however, the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that there were no recalls for the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 154,000. Updated 02/27/14 updated 02/27/14

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jul 012013

Expedition

Was driving the 2003 Expedition on interstate 10 near pensacola, when the vehicle shut off. The car coasted to a stop, luckily I did not cause a wreck and my family and I was safe. It has happened several times, at least 10 so far. We have replaced the fuel pump, fuel pump relay switch, the fuel filter, had the injectors inspected and it still does it. I did some research into the problem and it turns out the right side front passenger window leaks down onto the interior fuse panel and is causing the electrical system to short out. In all cases once the vehicle cools down, the car starts right back up again. I have taken it to 4 garages and now I have it at the Ford dealership in pensacola. Where they are looking at it. It turns out that the P0231 code keeps re-appearing in the system (fuel pump relay circuitry) which shows the problem could be the fuse panel since the fuses are soldered to the board and not plugged in. Hopefully Ford recognizes this problem and will order a recall soon.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jun 172012

Expedition

We moved it around in our shed at about 10pm on 6/16/12 and we awoke at 4 am to our shop, machine shed, and chicken coop engulfed in flames. We lost over $100,000 in property. The fire marshall determined that our Ford Expedition was to blame and that it started under the hood, somewhere in the electrical. We only had liability only on 2 of the 3 vehicles in the shop along with our motorcycle and trailer so they were not covered by insurance. I think Ford should of compensated us for the items we did not get paid for. They should do a recall on this vehicle, and compensate the people that had fires with this vehicle.

- Grove City , MN, USA

May 032013

Expedition 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where the fuses and the computer were replaced. The contact stated that the failure recurred one week later. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 180,000.

- Donalsonville, GA, USA

Oct 232012

Expedition

I was traveling home to philadelphia from charlotte. As I got closer to my house suddenly there was loud pop and a sound as if something was popping in the engine. I parked the truck on the corner of my block afraid to drive it any further. I looked under the hood and I saw a spark plug sitting on top of my battery. After looking this problem up on the net I found out that Ford has had this problem consistently with the Triton engines. No recalls have been issued and to me Ford needs to own up to this issue..

- Philadelphia , PA, USA

Jul 232012

Expedition 8-cyl

Was driving on with family at posted 70 mph speed. Car lost all power with no warning light or error codes. I had no power steering or power brakes. I managed to pull steering wheel to get off hwy. I turned key off. The car started right back up with no problem. Drove another 2 miles with same results. It was night and out of town. The car started right back up with still no error codes. Drove home with no problems. Took in to mechanic next day with no help. Was told to bring in when service engine light comes on. They can't fix with no idea why and still no error codes. Left there drove towards home died again on way home in town. No error codes.

- Azle, TX, USA

May 202012

Expedition 8-cyl

Spark plug blew out, threads in cylinder head gone!

- San Jose, CA, USA

Feb 012008

Expedition

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Expedition. While driving the vehicle at any speed the contact noticed it would suddenly stall without warning. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The current and failure mileage was 97,000.

- Locaint, CA, USA

Dec 012011

Expedition 8-cyl

Why is there no warning light, or signal of any kind when the PCM fails? our PCM failed, which caused our catalytic converters, 02 sensors, & fuel pump to fail. Our ignition coils had to be replaced. Would have been nice if a warning light came on the dash. This has caused our Expedition engine to randomly shut off while driving countless times! I have miraculously been able to maneuver my Expedition to the side of the freeway &have it towed eight times without killing myself, my family or any one else! we have had odd electrical and performance problems since August of 2002 when we purchased it. Not one Ford mechanic (3 different dealerships) could ever diagnose or repair issues. Because there is no warning light/code when the PCM is out, the damage snowballs. There are no computer codes, or warning lights to show up on the dash board when the PCM is out, which befuddles the mechanics. We are literally $5,000 in the hole so far! Ford dealership "repaired" our Expedition by replacing the PCM ($1,300). 48 hours after they replaced the PCM, and 18 miles after we drove Expedition off the Ford lot, the "service engine soon" light came up on the dashboard -for the first time ever! we drove back to the Ford dealership, and he said for $3,400 plus tax he could replace our new catalytic converters in "bank one" that were destroyed again, & the "bank two" converters which are now very weak, not up to spec. The driver's seat motor that has been fickle since Aug of 2002, stopped working when we went to pick it up, so I can't drive it, because I can't reach the gas or brake pedals. $800 will fix that, Ford says. If you google "2003 Ford Expedition eddie bauer engine shuts off randomly", thousands of people are reporting the same issues. Until someone crashes and dies, I don't think Ford cares. The consumer also stated the vehicle had electrical problems. The consumer stated the driver's seat motor stopped working while being serviced at the dealer, there were problems with the windows as well.

- La Canada Flintridge, CA, USA