1.5

2003 Ford Expedition fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Expedition:

2003 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Aug 162016

Expedition

The vehicle will randomly shut off at any speed, under any condition. Engine dies unexpectedly at highway speeds creating a panic to get out of the roadway. Power to steering and brakes are gone when the engine dies. Vehicle will restart after a couple minutes. The faulty part is the fuel pump relay. It is integral to the fuse box and cannot be changed without changing the entire fuse box. The fuse box is only available from a Ford dealer for $485.20 parts only.

- Wrightwood, CA, USA

Aug 042016

Expedition

Fuse relays keep burning out! I have brought over 10 relays in 2 weeeks. I have done my research and this is a common problem with all 2003 Ford and is very exspensive to fix. I was shocked to find that it has not been recalled! there are videos on you tube to prove that all of these trucks have this problem. I was told I had to replace the entire fuse box but eventually I will have the same problem out of that fuse box because thus is a defect in all 2003 Ford Expedition. The car cuts off while driving and has almost caused me to be in 2 very dangerous car accidents! it has stopped on me on the highway and street! when I saw that this is a very common problem with the fuel emmision relays and the fuse box I decided to file this complaint in order to get this recalled!

- Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 012016

Expedition

I was having problem my car of it losing power until one day it just lost power completely at a stop light I was lucky I was waiting for the light to turn green so I quickly put on my emergency blinkers and I was luckily no one hit me from behind this was around 8:30 P.M. my car had to be towed to the mechanic well it was at the mechanic I went ahead and google what happened with my car and I came across a whole bunch of complaints from the cars doing the same thing my car was doing but I found out a lot of people ended up wasting a lot of money to figure out at the end what the problem was if you're traveling on the freeway and this happens you can be in serious trouble I think this should be a recall and investigate on this part

- Wylie, TX, USA

Jan 212015

Expedition

The truck just quits like running out of gas stall no steering now braking very unsafe it is because the fuel pump relay is built into the fuse junction box not serviceable and if you have a moon roof the drain runs down that side the water drips on fuse box shorts out the relay and off your truck goes they only did it 2 years and they obviously now about it and changed it and the new part different number

- Reading, PA, USA

Jan 142015

Expedition

2003 Ford Expedition XLT 4.6 fuse box fail fuse pump relay burn, on 01/14/2015 while the truck was in motion on the 5fwy going 70 miles the truck shot off luckily my wife was able to pull to the emergency lane with out hitting any other car on the fwy. I replace the fuse box for another used one that I bought at a junk yard, the truck run got for a year, on 01/05/2016 it happen again while driving the truck on the 118 fwy going 75 the truck shut off again same problem fuse box, fuse relay is burn in have post it 3 videos on you tube look for 2003 Ford Expedition XLT 4.6 cranks won't start is under javalosrealestate

- Panorama City, CA, USA

Oct 032015

Expedition

Cars stalled while turning left against traffic. Would not start right away. Had to wait a few minutes trying to start it and finally it started and I could clear the intersection. Very dangerous and fortunate that oncoming traffic was able to stop. Have cleaned throttle body, aic but fuse on fuse box is melted causing intermittent operation. Started out once a month and now frequently to include this last one in traffic.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jul 032015

Expedition

Truck shut off at 60mph towing a camper because my fuel pump relay blew because of a defect in the fuse box!! almost killed us........ not happy at all. I've spoken to many mechanics and been on many forums and this seems to be a wide spread and dangerous issue Ford should take care of. Spoke with the local Ford parts department and they are aware of the issue. This is not a cheap part by any means, but on top of that it almost killed my wife and family! please do something about this defect. I can send you pictures of the fuse box board so you can see the burns.

- Goldendale, WA, USA

Jun 162014

Expedition

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Expedition. While the vehicle was undergoing routine maintenance by an independent mechanic, it was discovered that the medal strap was missing that secures the fuel tank. The dealer stated that the missing part was no longer manufactured. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- La Palma, CA, USA

Jul 012013

Expedition

Was driving the 2003 Expedition on interstate 10 near pensacola, when the vehicle shut off. The car coasted to a stop, luckily I did not cause a wreck and my family and I was safe. It has happened several times, at least 10 so far. We have replaced the fuel pump, fuel pump relay switch, the fuel filter, had the injectors inspected and it still does it. I did some research into the problem and it turns out the right side front passenger window leaks down onto the interior fuse panel and is causing the electrical system to short out. In all cases once the vehicle cools down, the car starts right back up again. I have taken it to 4 garages and now I have it at the Ford dealership in pensacola. Where they are looking at it. It turns out that the P0231 code keeps re-appearing in the system (fuel pump relay circuitry) which shows the problem could be the fuse panel since the fuses are soldered to the board and not plugged in. Hopefully Ford recognizes this problem and will order a recall soon.

- Pensacola, FL, USA