1.7

2005 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Expedition:

2005 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 302016

Expedition

My engine said fail safe mode. My spark plugs got stuck in engine costing me 1000 to fix.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jun 252016

Expedition

My 2005 Expedition is maintained normally and spark plugs changed and the engine will either cut off or slow down to about 30 miles an hour while I am on the highway with a error message fail save mode. Most times when I shut off the engine and restart it turns over but doesn't stay on. Totally unsafe for me and my family. Please research and recall what the issue is! this issue has started about 4 years after we purchased the vehicle and has been happening maybe one to two times a month since.

- Lincolnton, NC, USA

Jun 012016

Expedition

For many time that my Expedition has stalled because of the throttle body failing. The engine goes into safe mode and stalls and stops, thi is very danger situation

- Hutto, TX, USA

Mar 012016

Expedition

I have a 2005 Ford Expedition and have maintained my vehicle maintenance and only have 124,000 miles on this vehicle. It continues to shut off the engine and code fail safe mode on code appear and when I'm driving on the highway it is dangerous. After reading so many complaints this is unsafe. Also, the computer issues with locking doors, failure of the transmission (which I had to replace) such a disappointment of a vehicle. Ford should recall engine and computer issues. I purchased this vehicle brand new $50,000 + and have not be able to depend on the stability since I've had it.

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Apr 132012

Expedition

My Ford Expedition, while driving at 40 miles an hour lost power. This is the 3rd time in 2 years it has happened. On the info center it stated engine fail safe mode. The three times it has happened has been on back roads.I consider this a very unsafe condition. My dealer looked at it the first two times and said there were no codes, that I would need to bring it in sooner. But there are no lasting results, and it starts right back up.

- Jarrettsville, MD, USA

Jul 302015

Expedition 8-cyl

My 15 year old son and my life were placed in serious danger, by the gross negligence and deceptive business practices promoted by the Ford Motor Company, regarding scan code P2106. Since as early as February 26, 2013 Ford Motor Company was made aware of a dangerous defect concerning the mechanical and electrical components of their manufactured product released to the consumer public for profit. The vehicles are Ford trucks, manufactured from 2003 - 2008, with the V8 5.4 L engine. Public record reveals case no. 12-7222, jason schmidt, (plaintiff) vs. Ford Motor Company, (defendant) filed in the United States district court for the eastern district of Pennsylvania, that Ford Motor Company is well aware of this issue. I believe that Ford Motor Company has made no attempts to inform Ford dealership owners, the Ford dealership managers or Ford service repair shop managers at the Ford dealerships and consumers who had already purchased their manufactured product of the issue. This issue is very dangerous, I was traveling 70 mph, with my son in the truck. Ford Motor Company has gone on record, via telephone conversation, explaining to me that; "Ford Motor Company has no control over how individual dealerships function or operate their establishment places of business, sorry. But I can take a complaint and be sure that the dealership receives it and provide you with a complaint number". flammer Ford, spring hill, fl replaced a part and neglected to test drive the truck, released the vehicle to me and the part replaced was not what was wrong with the truck. I had my truck towed to autonation Ford in brooksville, fl for the same issue (P2106 code), they did the same thing, without replacing a thing. Only this time, while driving on a highway, my truck and the lost all power. My truck is back at autonation Ford in need of a new transmission.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Nov 182014

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

While moving in traffic the vehicle engine cut-off on its own. Message came up on dash display, something about "elect throttle control". was moving very slowly on an interstate highway bad traffic, with heaters (front and back) and the radio on. I was able to coast off to the side of the highway. Turned off radio, heaters, then was able to restart the vehicle. Battery condition was fine (replaced 2 years ago), no other warning. Vehicle is well-maintained, never driven hard or used for towing. Today I am taking it to a Ford dealer for evaluation.....updated 08/25/15

- Laurel, MD, USA

Mar 102015

Expedition

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Expedition. While driving at various speeds, the engine stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the throttle body sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 121,800.

- Vista, CA, USA

Mar 102015

Expedition

Since purchasing the Expedition in December 2014, I've had several incidents of "check engine throttle" warnings and the engine shut down, suddenly. This seems to also have a secondary issue of the truck hesitating/sputtering around 40-50mph. The vehicle has shut down on me in city traffic quite a few times and once on an exit ramp of the highway. This is a very dangerous situation to experience. The dealer mentioned possible spark plug issues. When the "check engine" icon finally came on, I had it read by the dealer and an independent mechanic. The code is a P2104. The dealer never got back to me on a remedy for this. The mechanic says the electronic throttle control must be replaced and could be the cause of both issues. Both have been reported to the dealer before their warranty expired. I'm finding the repair could cost about $700. An issue of the engine shutting off, regardless of speed, while driving is very dangerous. The truck must be placed in park, turned off, the re-started before continuing my drive. The scariest was upon an exit ramp of the highway at approximately 30mph.

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Feb 272015

Expedition

This is the 4th time in 5 weeks that my car has shut down while driving and it says "engine fail safe mode". it has been in the shop after the first 3 incidents and different things have been done to it. I just got it out of the shop and it happened the 4th time. So it's going back to shop. I have been fortunate, and have not been in a accident as a result of it shutting down. Looking online it's amazing how many people have experienced this same issue. Why has Ford or NHTSA not done something about this" will it take someone getting killed before they take action"

- Danielsville, GA, USA

Jan 132014

Expedition 8-cyl

While driving the vehicle went into a heavy vibration from the motor and the smell of raw fuel was present. After turning off the vehicle it would not start. The vehicle was towed to the Ford dealer and the dealer stated that a fuel injector became stuck open. The injector filled the cylinder with fuel and caused the engine to blow up (severe damage). It was found that this occurred on Ford Expedition numerous times and Ford extended the warranty to 11 years, 120,000 miles and my scary experience occurred at 129,000. I previously replaced the motor at my own expense 2 years prior and Ford did not replace the injectors or notify me of an injector issue. Ford is stating that they will not honor the warranty and the engine damage was caused by the injector that was not replaced. It was found that Ford was aware of the injector issue since 2007. I'm not sure these issue are getting reported.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Apr 162013

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

While driving along at 55 mph engine shut down. No power brakes, steering, etc. Indicator message on dashboard said "check electronic ignition". repair cost $ $724.19.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Aug 302014

Expedition

Vehicle check engine light stays on. Vehicle turns off when sitting idle. Brought vehicle to dealership and they said they fixed it, but after leaving the dealership and paying a large bill the check engine light came back on and still cuts off when just sitting idle in "drive". scared that this can cause an accident if someone behinds me doesn't realize that my vehicle cuts off.

- Fort Lee, VA, USA

Feb 182012

Expedition 8-cyl

I have had an engine check light and no one can find the problem. Some mechanics tell me its one thing and the others something else. Took to a.V Ford and quicklane in North hollywood. My truck stayed several days at shop and still cant find problem. Mechanic even called detroit plant to get advise. Still not resolved. Paid too much just trying to figure the problem. Has there been any issues brought to you about engine light on for Ford trucks. I have documents of visits to mechanics if you guys need them.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Nov 192014

Expedition 8-cyl

For the 3rd time in the past year I am driving down the road at about 40 mph - engine lights comes on, message "check electronic throttle control" comes on - I have no power, I coast to the side lane turn on hazard lights, turn key to off position. Restart the car (takes a couple of tries) and continue - this is extremely dangerous and should be addressed by Ford ( I have reported this issue) looking on line and on one site www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Expedition/2005/engine/vehicle_speed_control.shtml there are 52 complaints with the same issue. There are many other sites reporting the same exact problem. I am taking my vehicle to the dealer tomorrow - what else should I be doing to resolve this issue. - it's apparent that many other people are having this same exact issue- does it take someone dying to get the car manufacturers to listen to their customers?

- Cooper City, FL, USA

Nov 182014

- Laurel, MD, USA

Oct 192014

Expedition

While driving on the highway the car completely shut down. All lights on dash lit up, radio went off. Seconds later the car restated itself and the radio went back on. This happened twice on 10/20/2014 and once about two weeks before that.. no warning lights come on, no bumps the road was smooth, no rain puddles. It just dies and restarts itself each time. For about 6 months now the car dies completely when I am backing up every now and then not each time. We had 5 people in the car and got very scared. I have had lots of work done to the car and have receipts. Mechanic said it sounds like ran electrics problem that could be one of a hundred things. Please help with a solution.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 142014

Expedition

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. Additionally after restarting the vehicle, the electronic throttle control warning light illuminated. The failure occurred on two occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Nov 012012

Expedition

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Expedition. While driving on an incline, the vehicle stalled and the electronic throttle control indicator illuminated. The engine resumed normal operation after the vehicle was restarted. The failure occurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Bremen , GA, USA

Jun 092014

Expedition 8-cyl

Accelerated engine to pass, engine coughed and heaved. The RPM climbed but vehicle acted like it was dying. Car eventually died. Turned car off re- started it. Chk engine light came on. Engine ran rough wanted to ramp up in rpms but still acted like it was going to die. (this is not the first time, it is very intermittent) the last time it seemed serious and continuous they changed the transmission. The problem did not leave. I read numerous post on the web site as the problem continues to come back. Never showing codes. Just runs like crap. Numerous identical problems on the internet. Bought a new maf. No help. Replaced coil packs no help. Checked and cleaned vct solenoids. No help. Replaced camshaft position sensor. No help. No chk eng lights. Will not exceed 3500 RPM.

- Crown Point, IN, USA