2008 Ford Expedition body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Expedition:

2008 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Jun 082011

Expedition

Ford Expedition 2008 purchased new in 2009 from mullinax Ford in lake park fl had paint blister on the hood and back end in 2011 which is a well known problem. Mullinax body shop said paint not covered after 1 year and quoted expensive paint job. I asked if that is what I should expect from a Ford motor vehicle since this was my 1st Ford. I also asked if this was good advertisement for Ford with the obvious paint peel everywhere we go. I tell the story to everyone I see or asks with a 7 member family playing sports, school, work, church, etc. Now that it's time to replace, I wonder if Ford expects us to purchase a Ford SUV for over $60,000+ versus all the options out there. Hmmm Ford could have done a simple paint job at their "cost" years ago for our loyalty many many cars going forward. Burn us once, shame on you......twice....bad decision mullinax Ford.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jul 082011

Expedition

Paint is blistering on aluminum hood and tailgate. A well known problem with Ford Expedition.

- Fenton, MI, USA

Mar 232015

Expedition

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Expedition. Upon inspection, the contact noticed that the bracket that held the fender had light to moderate corrosion. The vehicle was diagnosed, but not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 112,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 282011

Expedition

I have called Ford about the paint peeling on the back hatch and front hood. They have told me that they do not have a recall or problems with the paint. I have told them that many Ford Expedition owners have had the same issue as indicated by NHTSA reports and fixed their vehicle at no cost. Any given day you can drive by one of these vehicles and you will see the exact locations are peeling paint. I would ask for you to check why some are covered and others are not to then issue a recall to fix all affected. Thank you for your assistance.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Sep 242012

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

I have called Ford about the paint peeling on the back hatch and front hood. They have told me that they do not have a recall or problems with the paint. I have told them that many Ford Expedition owners have stopped me on the road and that Ford had repainted their vehicle for nothing. Any given day you can drive by one of these vehicles and you will see the exact locations are peeling paint. I would ask for you to check why some are covered and others are not. Thank you for your assistance.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Jul 312013

Expedition

The paint on the rear of my truck starting coming off. I read online that many Ford Expedition owners have this same complaint and that some owners have taken Ford to court to fix this. This is not right. It is a well maintained vehicle and the paint only in the rear starts bubbling up and then falling off. I think this should be fixed by Ford. This is a very expensive vehicle. I have a 2000 Crown Victoria with no paint falling off.

- Channahon, IL, USA

Jun 202015

Expedition

This vehicle is equipped with the factory installed automatic deploying running boards. The vehicle occupants become reliant on this very important step up for ease of occupant entry and exit from vehicle. These style running boards are found on almost all higher-end luxury Ford & Lincoln sport utility vehicles manufactured from 2006 to present. On two random occasions, with no warning given, the motor ran, but the running board on driver's side failed to deploy. While exiting vehicle, expecting this transition step to the ground to be there, as was designed, driver fell from vehicle spraining ankle and injuring head. Medical treatment was given locally with no doctor. This surprising and unexpected height change of approximately 12 inches is equivalent to removing or missing a stair tread while descending stairs. After researching on internet it seems to be a reoccurring issue among owners. This could prove deadly in a fall to an older occupant that assumes a false sense of security that this "helping step" down is always there while exiting vehicle, when it is not.

- Ponce Inlet, FL, USA

Jun 012012

Expedition

Body corrosion of the aluminum hood and tailgate causing paint to bubble and peel off.

- Bend, OR, USA

Jun 032013

Expedition

The paint is peeling and bubbling on the hood and trunk. The paint is peeling and bubbling also under hood and trunk.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Apr 012012

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Paint is peeling off hood and rear lift gate. This is a known problem for Ford. It has apparently been going on for over a decade. The paint flakes off on any aluminum body panels that have been contaminated with iron. I spoke with Ford and they cannot issue a recall on the paint until more complaints are filed with Ford Motor Company. Call 1-800-392-3673 with your VIN to file your complaint. It only takes 5 minutes.

- Fredericksburg, PA, USA

Mar 302013

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

The paint on my hood and tailgate is bubbling and peeling. I was told these parts are aluminum and the problem is being caused by improper preparation of the surfaces. Have any other Ford owners reported a similar problem ? Ford is not willing to do anything to correct this. I don't believe a 6 year old vehicle should have peeling paint.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Aug 012014

Expedition

Paint is peeling on the tailgate along with blisters in several spots.

- Hanover, MA, USA

May 012014

Expedition 8-cyl

Water is collecting in the driver's side rear door. A sloshing sound was heard and when the door was opened and the vehicle was faced uphill water began to exit the bottom of the door at the weather stripping. Each time it rains water is entering this door. From the exterior the door looks the same as the others.

- Cranberry Twp, PA, USA

Mar 012012

Expedition 8-cyl

Paint flaking off hood and rear lift gate. These are no magnetic parts, possibly aluminum.

- Cranberry Twp, PA, USA

Jul 032013

Expedition

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that the bracket that holds the hood down was corroded and was oxidized under the paint. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Englishtown, NJ, USA

Dec 022013

Expedition 8-cyl

Paint peeling off under front of hood and under rear lift gate. This is a known problem for Ford, I am finding out. It has apparently been going on for over a decade. The paint flakes off on any aluminum body panels that have been contaminated with iron. I have taken my vehicle to the dealer and they refused to repair it free of charge. I also called Ford directly to complain and was told that there is currently no recall for the paint since there are not enough complaints.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Sep 192012

Expedition

The tailgate on my 2008 Ford Expedition el is bubbling and cracking where the lift gate is. I believe this to be a major defect in the way this model vehicle was built. I have seen numerous '08 el's with the same problem. It looks as if underneath the paint has sever rusting. This is definitely something that Ford needs to take responsibility for.

- Braintree, MA, USA

Aug 152012

Expedition 8-cyl

Paint started bubbling on tailgate at about 80,000 miles. Car was brought to dealer for inspection of the tailgate and issue was forwarded to Ford Motor Co for approval under extended warranty. Approval was denied as the body panel was not yet visible under paint (as it was explained to me). At 95,000 miles (vehicle still covered under extended warranty) paint had flaked off and there was visible corrosion of the aluminum tailgate. Paint has also started flaking off the underside of the tailgate, under the lower lip, exposing the body panel beneath. Even with the exposed body panels and corrosion and oxidation of the aluminum tailgate coverage was still denied. This is an obvious issues with the workmanship or process used to apply paint to aluminum body panels as the paint on the rest of the vehicle is in very good condition.

- Basking Ridge, NJ, USA

Oct 032011

Expedition

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that the driver side interior door handle fractured and the contact was unable to exit the vehicle without opening the door from the exterior. The manufacturer was notified of the failure who advised that there was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 08V058000 (latches/locks/linkages: Doors: Latch) but her VIN was not included in the recall and offered no further assistance. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Augusta, GA, USA

May 182011

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2008 Ford Expedition that has paint corrosion around the front hood latch. I had an estimate done by a local body shop and he pointed this out to me. He said it will eventually corrode through and the hood will fly open.

- S. Weymouth, MA, USA