2012 Ford Focus engine problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 212014

Focus

This Ford Focus exhibits strange and dangerous shaking and stuttering between gears 1 and 2. it has done this with increasing frequency since we got this car in 2011. It feels like it will stall at any moment. It also has nearly stalled several times when stopped at a light and sometimes rolls backwards while in drive even though it is an automatic. The dealership says these things are normal because it is a 'sporty-model car' and it takes the engine time to adjust to a person's driving style. The Ford Focus model years affected with this problem should be recalled by Ford asap.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 112011

Focus 4-cyl

2012 Ford Focus. Consumer writes in regards to ongoing transmission issues. The consumer stated each time visited the dealer, she was informed it was only a programming adjustment. The consumer has been to the dealer 10 times, for the same problem. The consumer stated the transmission was unpredictable. Not only did the clutch slip between first and second gears, the vehicle intermittently hesitated when taking off from a complete stop. Also, the engine would shake at 55 mph and continued to shake even at 70 mph.

- Summerfield, FL, USA

Mar 132014

Focus

On March 13th, I was driving at approximately 55 miles per hour. All of the sudden I lost complete power in my car. The rpms revved up extremely high and I gained no power when pushing on the accelerator. I lost all speed in a matter of seconds and was forced to pull over. I was almost hit by another car as I was attempting to get out of the way. Steering became hard and it took more effort to break and slow the car. I turned the car off as soon as I came to rest. I attempted to restart the car and the car would not even turn over. I called a tow truck and had my car towed to Ford. They had the car for 4 days and replaced the transmission control module (tcm). The part was covered under the emissions warranty according to Ford. I was told the car was fixed and sent on my way. On March 24th the car broke down again. The car did the same thing as the first time and again almost caused a car accident in which serious injury could have resulted. I sat with the car turned off for approximately 5 minutes and then tried to restart the car. The car restarted on the 4th time. I called my local Ford and asked if it was safe to attempt to drive over, they said it was. They have now had the car for one week and are unable to locate an issue. I was given a loaner vehicle which they have now demanded they get back. I been told the process of Ford deciding what to do can take up to 2 months. I am no left with no car and Ford is claiming no responsibility and providing no customer service. Ford needs to fix this issue and refund those affected.

- Buellton, CA, USA

Mar 142013

Focus

During a tight turn on a bendy road going about 55 mph the vehicle lost all power. As if someone turned they key off. Lights, enfotainment, steering, brakes, everything was effected. Luckily steering doesn't lockup on a Ford Focus. And can be steered but without power assist. Once at a complete stop, the car could be restarted with no instrument lights on, as if nothing happened.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

May 092012

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, a metal to metal rattling noise emitted outside of the vehicle. The transmission slipped gears and the vehicle began to vibrate with hesitation. The failure occurred sporadically when shifting into second gear. Additionally, when the brake pedal was depressed when driving on an incline the vehicle would roll. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer twice where each time the computer module was reprogrammed. The vehicle was not repaired for the most recent failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 14,000.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Apr 152013

Focus

Shuttering and stalling upon acceleration.car tends to roll backwards for no apparent reason on slight incline. Speed acceleration and speed deceleration at random times. Car hesitates badly when accelerating on to on ramp to merge with interstate traffic or to pass a vehicle on the highway. It's luck of the day if you accelerate and actually live or get hit when car shutters and hesitates. Good luck Focus owners.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jan 272013

Focus

The transmission "skips, flutters or just not kick in" when moving from a stopped position to an accelerated speed. Seems like the transmission stalls out and then grabs. It does it quite often and I was almost rear-ended on several occasions so far by this hick-up in the transmission. I am going to take it back to baxter Ford in omaha and see if the problem can be fixed or not. They may get the car back.

- Milford, NE, USA

Apr 042012

Focus

I purchased this vehicle on March 21, 2012 and first took it into the dealership April 4, 2012 because the transmission boggs for the startup 0 to approximately 20 mph. This created a safety hazard when pulling into oncoming traffic because the vehicle had no power, especially when in a stopped position. Passing vehicles was unsafe if you were in the lower gears of the transmittion due to lack of power. Another safety hazard is that the vehicle drifts backwards when I take my foot off of the gas pedal, as if it was a standard shift transmission. This was especially dangerous on a hill or a grade. This vehicle also drifts backwards when you put your vehicle in park and release the brake pedal, causing danger to pedistrian or vehicles behind you. I have taken this vehicle back numeous times since I have owned it for the same types of problems with the transmission (now at various speeds) and drifting backwards. The dealership has made numerous adjustments and changes to the transmission, but to date this vehicle basically remains, in my opinion, a safety hazard. To date, Ford company states that all of the above has a reason and states that it is "normal" for this new type of transmission. In my opinion, this transmission evoved to save gas, not lives.

- Mercer, PA, USA

Jan 312014

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus SE. The contact stated while driving, the car would violently shudder, a grinding noise could be heard in the front of the vehicle and it stalled intermittently. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer stated that the control module was defective and a new seal was installed. The dealer repaired the defect; however, a day after picking up her vehicle the failures persisted. While driving she also heard a "clucking" noise in the same place she previously heard the grinding noise. The vehicle was towed again back to the dealer who stated that they could not find any defects she "just have to get use to her vehicle". when the contact drove the vehicle home the transition over warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000 miles. Updated 04/17/14

- Tarzana, CA, USA

Aug 202012

Focus

My car has almost goteen me in 3 accidents and it rolls bake on hills I was pulling into a drive way and it started to roll bake then it sloed down and there was a load noise and we started rolling backwasrs it was just a drive way. The car has absolutley no power at all it studders and when you are driving in busy places and your car wont pick up enough ton enter on the highway or freeway its scary and its unsave it will shake the wole car when it pulls back and studders. It is awful and I went on a 3 hour drive to go on vacation I actually rented a car instead of taking my brand new car that I got to last me years fro now was the plan if it makes it another 1 year I will be surprised very dangeroud Ford

- Moreono Valley, CA, USA

Jan 102014

Focus

After about 30-45 mins of driving the car will begin to shudder going from 1st to 2nd gear. It occurs most noticeably driving from a stop. I have brought my car in numerous times and have been told numerous excuses. At this time it is getting annoying, however it becomes a concern when turning onto roads because it does not produce any power during this time. Its only a matter of time before a accident occurs because of this issue. There needs to be a recall on the transmission on the 2012 Ford Focus. Updated 03/25/14 also, an oil leak was found, the vehicle would shudder in reverse and it felt as though the traction control was engaging.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jun 292012

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated while traveling at various speeds, the vehicle began to shake. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 400. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 2/11/14

- Brewster, NY, USA

Dec 152013

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while sitting at a red light, she attempted to accelerate but the parking aid malfunction, check engine and ABS warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection but they could not determine the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 33,300.

- La Puente, CA, USA

Nov 012013

Focus 4-cyl

This is an ongoing problem!!!! my vehicle vibrates when trying to accelerate from a complete stop. It hesitates and does not want to accelerate and it appears to not want to shift gears. Does the same thing at low speeds as well.when pulling of from a stop position sounds like a rattling or something making a cranking noise. Also car stalls at times. Taking off from stop sign car stalls when gas is pressed. My car rolls back when taking off from an incline and a flat surface.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Nov 172013

Focus 4-cyl

While traveling down the interstate there was a sudden loss of power while pressing the gas and hesitation when power finally returned.

- Fountain, CO, USA

Jul 012012

Focus 4-cyl

Vehicle vibrates when trying to accelarate from a complete stop. Hesitates and does not want to accelarate. Appears to not want to shift gears. Does the same thing at low speeds as well.

- Weslaco, TX, USA

Oct 012013

Focus

Clutch quit at approx. 26,000mi. This was preceded by heavy shuddering and vibrations (for approximately three weeks). The manufacturer, fomoco, diagnosed the problem two weeks ago but was unable (or unwilling) to immediately replace the part, putting me in a long, "backorder" queue. My personal feeling is that the transmission is defective and should be subject to a recall.

- Wrentham, MA, USA

Sep 182013

Focus

Car stops dead and the "stop safely now" light comes on.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Aug 232013

Focus 4-cyl

I have only owned this 2012 Ford Focus for approx. 6 weeks. It has been hesitating, sputtering, and jerking upon acceleration and when driving at low speeds since the first day I owned it. At first it was intermittent but now it happens most all the time. When I stop and take off it feels like it is going to stall out. When on an interstate ramp I feel I cannot get up to a higher speed fast enough. I took it to the dealer for service. The dealer said that they would need to drop the engine, replace the seals (there is leaking around the seals) and replace the clutch. And, the seals are on back-order for 2 to 3 weeks! they say it is safe to drive and to let them know if it worsens (how can it get worse). They may say it is safe, but I sure do not feel safe or comfortable driving this car. I have read hundreds of complaints from other Focus owners on this same issue. Ford needs to recall these cars and listen to consumers. This is a defect that needs Ford's ownership. I have been in contact with Ford and have a case number. Thank you.

- Mount Jackson, VA, USA

Sep 212013

Focus

While driving approx 30 miles per hour on a B road, just after turning right the car displayed a "stop safely now" warning and the car lost all power to the drive train and the car literally stopped moving. Luckily, there was no one behind me when the fault occurred. I power cycled the car and I was able to drive away after a few minutes. I have never had an issue with the car until last night.

- Valencia, CA, USA