2012 Ford Focus steering problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 10 of 18)

Focus

What has happened with my 2012 Ford Focus on August 18, 2015 has now happened 2 additional times since then. On 8/21/2015 my vehicle was dropped off at skinner & damulis to reprogram the transmission control module (field service action: 15B22 transmission control module reprogramming for overt tcm failure warning). On August 27, 2015 while driving down the road at 55 mph again I had the same loss of power, this time had an 18 wheeler behind me that was not slowing down, I pulled over to the shoulder and needed to use reverse and the vehicle would not go into reverse, it just revved like it was in neutral. I turned the vehicle off, called Ford, again, and told them my issue. After restarting the vehicle after the phone call I was able to put in reverse. I returned vehicle to skinner & damulis on 9/3/2015, vehicle was "repaired" on 9/4/2015 and invoice stated my concern: Car having issues with revving and won't go into reverse at times and their correction was they found tcm & PCM software update and performed software update. On 9/25/2015 I again had the same issue with revving while driving (35-40 mph) and was again unable to get the vehicle into reverse. Car had 90,111 miles at the time. Contacted Ford and was given case# cas-7944030 and will be in contact with john from Ford by Monday evening. This no longer works for me. This car needs to go, it is going to kill someone, me, people in another vehicle, something and I am not going to have my family sued because this problem occurs again. I need a vehicle as an outside sales person and no longer feel safe in my 2012 Ford Focus. This car needs to be taken back by Ford and destroyed. It has no trade value and I do not want another family to have this car and get killed because of it. Please do something about this, I know I am not the only one with these issues. Kevin fike

- Ilion, NY, USA

Oct 102014

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice where the transmission control module was replaced. Weeks later, there was an abnormal noise coming from the radio and it randomly failed to work. While driving, the steering wheel seized and the contact had to apply force to the steering wheel each time the failure recurred. The contact also mentioned that the eps warning light illuminated. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000. Updated 11/12/15

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 142015

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. When the contact started the vehicle, the steering assist fault service required warning indicator illuminated and the steering ability became very difficult. The contact stopped and turned off the vehicle. After approximately two minutes, the vehicle was restarted and operated normally. The dealer could not duplicate the failure. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000.

- Fairborn, OH, USA

Jul 032014

Focus

Total unexpected loss of power steering. Unable to safely steer vehicle. Power steering assist fault light came on. After stopping and re-starting the vehicle the warning light went off and normal steering was possible. This has happened twice to date.

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Aug 282015

Focus

Excessive shuddering/shaking upon acceleration, vehicle does not seem to have any power. On 8/28 I was stopped at light in drive and vehicle would not move, after changing gears I finally was able to drive it, a short time later vehicle would not move again in drive but the engine light came on, on the way to the dealership vehicle lost power and would only go 15 mph crawled to the dealer with emergency flashers. Dealer had the vehicle for 5 days and completed the software update program 15B22, since receiving the vehicle back I am still experiencing low power and shuddering. Have been rear ended tapped once because it doesn't have any power, very concerned to drive vehicle to to loss of power and excessive shuddering. Contacted Ford customer care and they did not have a sense of any long term fix to this issue nor does the dealership. Dealer states they are slammed with these vehicles every day.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Nov 262013

Focus

I purchased the car used with 25,000 miles, shortly after the car began shuddering very badly and did not accelerate correctly. The problem progressed to a loud metal grinding noise, the clutch was deemed to be bad and replaced. Six months after the clutch failed again and was replaced and now a year later the clutch needs to be replaced again, making it the fourth clutch for a car with under 70,000 miles. Ford has extended the warranty so it is covered however the part is on back order for 4-6 weeks. Ford does not offer a replacement vehicle during this time. I do not feel safe driving this car with the transmission not working properly. This car also had the steering and suspension repaired within the first year of ownership.

- Derry, NH, USA

Sep 092015

Focus 4-cyl

While driving at a low rate of speed, the vehicle became difficult to steer and the power steering assist malfunction light came on. I was able to muscle the car safely and get to my destination (the grocery store). Thinking that perhaps it was the power steering fluid, I checked it and saw that it was a little over minimum, so I added more. I turned the car back on and the issue was still present. I drove home and turned off the car. The next morning, the code was not on and the power steering was working though there was a groan coming from the steering wheel every time I had to turn. I drove to work trying to ascertain what would go on and about 25 minutes into my drive, while doing 50 miles an hour, I lost power steering again. I got to work, turned off the car, and came back out 9 hours later and the power steering had again reset itself and worked all the way back to my house. I have not been driving the car since and have to say that this is the second major issue with the car I have had; the transmission went out after having the car for 2 years. I have done research and there are many other Ford focuses of this year with this issue. I am now extremely concerned about the safety of this car and regret buying it most sincerely.

- Green Springs, OH, USA

Aug 062015

Focus

Steering assist failed. After multiple restarts it worked again. This has happened now 10 times.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Jun 302015

Focus

The steering light had come on before then went off because the steering wheel ended up being able to move. This happened acouple other times and everything was fine. Then when it finally quit working was when I, the owner, had parked it to go inside somewhere, then came out to leave and the light came on and the steering wheel wouldn't turn. I had to have it towed to the dealership and pay $1,245 to have it fixed. They had it for 2 weeks.

- Nitro, WV, USA

Sep 032015

Focus

While driving, my car suddenly stopped functioning. The engine light came on, followed by all other lights. I was able to pull the car over, but unable to restart. I called for a tow truck (aaa). After waiting for an hour, I tried the ignition again, and the car started right up. The same problem occurred the following night. The car was towed to the dealership, tom's Ford in keyport, New Jersey, where it still remains.

- Keyport, NJ, USA

Aug 292015

Focus

Power steering assist failure notification light came on and loss of power steering. Went away with a restart of the car. Next time we turned it on the same message was there as well as the loss of power steering and now it seems to be permanent problem. Research shows that Ford has recalled several other models with the same issue and although it is aware of the problem it has yet to recall the Focus. This is absurd.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 022015

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While traveling approximately 30 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel was extremely tight and difficult to turn. The vehicle was turned off and on to reset the computer due to the failure, but it progressed randomly. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Focus

After starting car a warning bell sounded and notification on dash said "steering assist failure". called Ford and spoke with service and explained the issue. I gave him my information. He told me that my car was out of warranty and this would be a out of pocket expense for them to even diagnose. He also acknowledged that he has seen a "few" Focus's with the same issue. After researching online there are numerous complaints of the exact same nature. I have called Ford and am awaiting a return call from them. There has been a class action lawsuit filed in California (phillips et al vs Ford Motor Company) on this same issue. Ford does have a recall on the Fusion #15S18 concerning this same malfunction.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Focus

While backing out of the driveway there was a complete loss of power steering along with a warning in the information center: "steering assist fault -service req'd". the vehicle was steered to the curb. After the car was turned off and back on, the power steering worked normally. The car was taken to a local Ford dealer the next day to see if any computer codes were registered. No codes were found and the dealer had no advice on what caused the problem and whether or not it would recur.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Aug 132015

Focus

63000 miles on car. Power steering rack needs replaced. 1800 dollars to fix.

- Mars, PA, USA

Aug 042015

Focus

On August 4, 2015 I was driving my vehicle and when I went to turn at the red light, my steering wheel locked up and then I heard a beeping sound. I looked down at my dashboard and a messaged appeared. I was unable to read the message right then because I was having to jerk my steering wheel to get the car to make the left turn and not run up on the curve. Traffic was coming so I couldn't just stop in the middle of the intersection. Once I got to the parking area I read the message on the dashboard and it displayed, "power steering assist fault." As of today Aug 14, 2015 I have not been able to drive my vehicle and I am very afraid to drive it. I have called the local dealership and they want me to pay for diagnostic because they said that there's no recall on theses vehicles. I refuse to pay for any service because my concern is that this is a safety issue that the Ford company should be responsible for. When I called Ford to report the issue and to see if there's a recalled, I was told that this is the first that they have heard of this problem but when I researched the issue, I found plenty of complaints about the 2012 Ford Focus. Can someone address this issue before there's a fatal accident. I will be willing to allow someone to come drive my vehicle, see the message that appears on my dashboard still and investigate the vehicle in order to save my life and someone else's life. Ford dealership says that they have not been able to duplicate the issue, well, my vehicle is more than available for someone to duplicate it because it is totally a locked steering wheel sitting in my parking lot. I had to have my male friend to drive my vehicle 2 miles home because it scared me so bad that I couldn't drive it on top of a torn rotator cuff and not being able to turn the wheel. Please help all of us having this problem.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Aug 132015

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to steer and the power steering assist warning light illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle did not regain steering capabilities. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,362.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Aug 102015

Focus

Electronic power assist failed and I have no power steering

- Parma Heights, OH, USA

Aug 062015

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact started the vehicle and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was then able to operate normally. The failure recurred two times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 94,520.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Aug 052015

Focus

While driving down the highway the steering started to act weird. It would give a lot and go tight then give again. A lot of play in the wheel, when it was perfectly fine before. Then after 30 seconds or so of this, the information light popped up and said "steering fault stop safely". I pulled over to side of road and stopped. Then it turned red, locked the steering wheel and said "steering loss stop safety". now the car is stuck and I am on the side of the road calling a tow truck. It went to the mechanic who did something to get the car to work again, and 15 minutes of driving the car again this cycle repeated itself. It has happened to me 3 times as of the writing of this message. I am scared to get back in the car at this point as I have a newborn and don't want to risk it. I don't know what to do. I have to drive in order to get to work.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA