2012 Ford Focus steering problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 12 of 18)

Apr 022015

Focus

While driving the car around a slight bend in the road at around 45 miles per hour, I began receiving notifications on my console saying hill assist start was not functioning and that I had a steering issue and to pull over safely. The vehicle had no power steering and was difficult to control on the road because the car wanted to swerve. It was also pulling to the right. After taking the car to the local garage they told me that it needed to go to a dealership to be repaired and that the parts are on back order. After speaking with a Ford dealer in kane Pennsylvania they notified me that it has happened in numerous other focuses and that it would $1600 to repair it.

- Smethport , PA, USA

Mar 092015

Focus

Could not move steering wheel at all when I started car. After multiple restarts, steering finally worked normally. This same steering lock has happened when I start my car approximately 20 to 30 times since the first incident. Ford dealer could not find anything wrong. They told me I needed a code for them to investigate the issue. This has not happened while driving, but am somewhat worried my steering may lock up in this same manner while on the road.

- San Juan Capistrano, CA, USA

Apr 012015

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While reversing, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 34,200.

- Winter Haven , FL, USA

Apr 222015

Focus

I was driving to work one more when my car dashboard lite up saying steering assistance service required. An at that point my power steering went out on me. I pulled over and turned the car off as steering became very hard. After turning my car off and back on the light went off and my steering was back to normal. Called the dealership who said at this point don't worry about if it happens again to bring it in. Well 5/14/15 rolls around and I'm leaving work get in my car an turn the car on the my dashboard lights up again with the same message and my steering is out again. Called the dealership they said to bring it in. I bring it in on 5/15/15 and they said that my power steering rack assembly needs to be replaced an since my warranty ran out that it isn't covered and they quoted me over a thousand dollars to fix it. I don't have that kind of money and to me since that is a saftey issue that is something Ford should be fixing for free as that can cause me to get into an accident.

- Camden, NC, USA

May 052015

Focus

While driving the power steering went out and I briefly lost control of the vehicle. Regained control and made it to my destination. This has happened before and when I turned the car off and back on it fixed itself. This time I've turned the car off and back on 5 times within the past 5 hrs and it still isn't working. I have an appointment with Ford in the morning but not sure how I'm going to make it the 30 miles to get there.

- Clarksville, IN, USA

Apr 102015

Focus 4-cyl

Steering assist malfunction when starting vehicle, making it impossible to drive. However when restarted and "warmed up" vehicle function. Ford seems to be ignoring the issue as it did with transmission malfunction. Today May 5 I return to metro Ford.

- Miami Beach , FL, USA

Oct 142014

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving at approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver. The contact was able to regain control. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the steering column assembly and the column steering cover were both replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Mar 132015

Focus 4-cyl

First time: Was merging from one highway to another and power steering went out. Warning came on. I got off immediately. I turned the car off and the warning message went off and the car was fine. I took it directly to the dealer. They said they could not get the car to do it again and that they checked the connections and all was fine. Second time: Was parked and went to turn the car on. The warning message came on and I could not turn the steering wheel. Turned the car off again and it cleared itself. I am going to take the car back in to Ford so that I can get the dates that this occurred on record. This is twice within months that this is happening. It is scary to think of what could happen if this were to occur again.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Apr 272015

Focus

Started vehicle and pulling out of street parking when the wheel locked suddenly and there was a steering wheel assist warning light that came on dash. Turned car off and back on and it cleared. Another vehicle had to maneuver around me by the time I had turned the car off and on. Luckily it was not too dark or else it may have caused an accident.

- Denver, CO, USA

Apr 202015

Focus 4-cyl

As I was backing out of a driveway my power steering failed. Had to have my car towed.

- Elyria, OH, USA

Apr 132015

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the power steering failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer stated that the steering rack would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 172015

Focus

I started noticing this 3 days after I had my transmission shudder fixed. I got to the point that any time I started my car and tried to turn my wheel while going in both forward and reverse that I had no power steering assisting me in my turn. It would take all I had to turn the wheel, and sometimes it would give the alert for needing to take it in for service. I took it in, and the first time the dealer did a service update. I drove it around for a few more days before I noticed when I slowed down to take turns my wheel would physically stop turning while in mid turn. I took it back in to the dealership, where they did another update to my power steering. 2 days later it's doing the same thing. I've been fortunate for this to not happen while trying to pull a quick avoidance maneuver. It's proving to be too dangerous to drive.

- Coulterville, IL, USA

Apr 102015

Focus 4-cyl

Power steering electrical system failed without notice. Noticed that there is currently a class action suit against Ford for this issue and other issues. Not on recall list at moment, and may have to pay for repair due to faulty design.

- Westbrook, CT, USA

Apr 072015

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving various speeds, the vehicle would abnormally hesitate when shifting. Also, the steering assist error warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer stated that the hesitation was a normal occurrence and the steering gear assembly would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Moorpark, CA, USA

Apr 082015

Focus

First time 04/06/2015 started car like normal dashboard read power assist faliure contact service. Turned car off then back on dash cleared. Ran system check no issues. Called local Ford dealer was told glitch in system shouldn't happen again no need to bring in car. 2 days later... was driving on freeway when suddenly steering went out. Car was going almost 65 could bearly move steering wheel felt like it was stuck in wet sand. Almost crashed when approching curve had to slow down to about 10mph. What if 1yr. Old was in car what if I crashed.

- Berea , OH, USA

Mar 132015

Focus

I was driving at approximately 30mph on a busy road when the alert sound went off in the car. The message on the dash said that there was a power steering malfunction. It immediately became very difficult to steer. I was able to arrive at my destination just up the road without incident. The steering had returned to normal when I turned the car on again about 30 minutes later. I have not experienced any steering issues since.

- Bright, MA, USA

Sep 232014

Focus

1.power steering goes out at any given time, whether its initial crank or driving at any speeds. It appears to occur more so in the warmer months of the year. 2. transmission slips, chatters, rollbacks while in gear, hesitation, delayed response. I have taken vehicle to dealership multiple times, they said they cant get the power steering to re-occur so there was nothing wrong with car! they said the transmission acts within their specs, as this is does come and go but appears 90-95% of the time. However I did receive an extended warranty out of no where for the transmission in which I heard they do nothing but clean oil off the clutch plate which will resolve nothing. My wife is 100lbs soaking wet and cannot control the vehicle in turns when the steering goes out. She has already blown out a tire on a curb due to not being able to correct the path of the vehicle in a turn.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Feb 252015

Focus

On several instances while entering a turn the power steering shut off and a failure notification was displayed on the dashboard. This resulted in several near accidents, especially while having to quickly adjust to the increased strength required to complete the turn without hitting another car or curb. Turning vehicle off and back on resolves the issue temporarily, but power steering fails seemingly randomly every time.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Feb 122015

Focus

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was coasted to a safe location. After restarting, the vehicle resumed with extreme difficulty in turning the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering assist would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Crystal River, FL, USA

Feb 132015

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel seized and the steering assist fault warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000. Updated 4/29/15

- Crystal River, FL, USA