Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You should probably steer clear of the 2012 Focus. Otherwise, you might not be able to steer at all.

2012 Ford Focus steering problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 4 of 15)

Jun 292016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. When the vehicle was started, the steering wheel was difficult to operate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the power steering module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Mt.Airy, MD, USA

Oct 292015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while making a turn, the steering malfunction warning light illuminated as the steering wheel became extremely difficult to maneuver. The contact mentioned that after turning off the vehicle and restarting it, the vehicle resumed to normal function. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the tcm needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired, however, failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who stated that the steering column might need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 59,365.

- Angelica, NY, USA

Jun 162016

The electrical steering system stopped working in this car. The steering wheel became very heavy feeling, and was very difficult to steer. The vehicle was in motion on a city street when this first started.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jun 212016

Power steering has intermittently gone out on car. On June 21, 2016 the steering fault light came on while backing out of a parking place. The steering locked up, the fault light appeared and stated service was required. Dealership says computer recorded default message but Ford Motor Company will not authorize repairs unless the steering locks up, light and default message appears while in the dealership's possession. We have contacted Ford Motor Company and they refuse to take any action. I have filed a complaint and received a case number -cas9882100- as of June 22, 2016.

- Rocky Point, NC, USA

Jun 172016

While driving the electric steering assistance fault code showed up. I lost the power steering on the vehicle. The wheel was extremely hard to steer. I was able to limp it home. If this my wife or daughter driving when this happened, I'm not sure if they could have been able to control the car. Doing a search on this issue I found multiple complaints file on this issue. This is a extreme safety issue that needs to be addressed by Ford before someone is seriously hurt or killed if it hasn't happened already.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 212016

Steering wheels locks up and I get a message stating "steering assist fault". this is the second time in 2 weeks that the vehicle has done this when I started the car. The only way I have found to clear it is to stop the car and restart.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Jun 152016

For three years from 2013 to current I reported my car having intermittent electrical issues where my power steering would just fail and my speedometer would cease to function this could happen while driving or stationary.... I reported this to Ford and over the course of three years had the issue inspected but they could not resolve the issue.. now the car is out of warranty but say it is due to faulty censors.

- Pinellas Park, FL, USA

Feb 012016

My power steering started working only intermittently and has now completely stopped working. My car is necessary for my job and so I have no choice but to drive it this way. I have done research and found that Ford is aware of the problem and has recalled other models, but not the Focus. I have contacted Ford and was told that there is no recall for this on this model and that I would have to repair it at my expense.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jun 122016

On the 6/9/2016 and on the 6/12/2016 I went out to start my car, an indicator light comes on that say stirring assistant or system, it does it very fast, failure. Then the stirring wheel becomes impossible to turn. I couldn't leave my drive way.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 082016

On 6/82016 I was driving to work in the early morning, as I accelerated forward while turning the corner at a elementary school zone, a steering assist fault error message appeared on my instrument cluster. Then I lost all steering and I could not turn the wheel to avoid the small children and parents that were at the corner waiting for me to pass.I slammed on the brakes and avoided a life changing tragedy. I towed the car to santa margarita Ford who informed me that the electronic power steering box failed and the repair was going to be $1,895. I called Ford and talked to alex (case # tas-9779156-D5J4Q5) who took my report, checked and quickly returned with bad news that there was nothing they can do. I asked him if someone needed to die for Ford to take resposiblity for this unsafe system, but got no reply.

- Potrero, CA, USA

Jun 062016

Power steering fault service assistant

- Window Rock, AZ, USA

Oct 012015

Power steering assist indicator comes up intermittently when starting the car or while driving and it is extremely difficult or impossible to steer the car. Now it has not gone off for days and I am unable to safely operate my vehicle. It has happened to my mother a couple of times on the highway and she almost got into an accident at 70mph. Ford needs to address and correct this before there are anymore accidents or deaths. They did it in their other vehicles, why did they leave out the Focus"?? and for that matter, when is the NHTSA going to finally step in???"

- Manahawkin, NJ, USA

Jun 022016

In 2012 I purchased the vehicle from future Ford in sacramento California. Over the past four years, the car has problems with the transmission, PCM module, transmission control module, clutch, starter, steering wheel, electrical system. I took the car to two Ford dealerships for repairs. The service technicians cannot repair the car. I contacted Ford Motor Company many times and they refuse to refund my money and recall the vehicle the car is very dangerous to drive and a risk to my life and safety. Updated 07/19/16

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 262016

Takata recall // for several months I have experienced the power steering going out on my car. Most of the time it happened as I started the car. I was able to turn off the car and start again and it was fine. Few times I was driving and the power steering went out. I looked online and see other Ford cars are under recall for rhis problem but not for my Focus. Ford obviously is aware of this problem and is ignoring it. So does someone have to die before Ford takes notice of how many cars they manufactured are faulty and they are putting us comsumers at risk every time we have to be on the road. Not everyone can afford an extended warranty or the expense of getting problem fixed. And it should not be up to the consumer to fix faulty car made by Ford, it is Ford that needs to place recall on this car and fix to have all thier consumers safe on the road. If not I can guarantee I will not recommend anyone to buy Ford.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 212016

Electric steering gear out. $1650 dollars to replace at the dealership. This is an ongoing issue with Ford's bad design of electronic steering. 150 plus complaints with crashes and deaths. This is my 20yo daughters car and thank god she wasn't driving it when it went out. Basically a yard ornament now until we can afford to fix it. Still making the payments but no chance of driving the hazard to the road car.

- Piggott, AR, USA

Oct 252015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving 25 mph, the power steering light illuminated and the steering wheel became difficult to turn to the right. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the steering gear was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Ft Wayne, IN, USA

Apr 262016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the power steering seized without warning. The contact was able to stop and restart the vehicle where the vehicle resumed to normal. The contact stated that the failure recurred approximately two weeks later. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering had failed and would need to be repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 71,000.

- Lenoir, NC, USA

May 062016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving 25 mph, the steering failed and a "steering assist failed" message displayed. The contact pulled over and turned off the vehicle. When the vehicle was restarted, the steering returned to normal. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Apr 152016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 30 mph, the power steering seized and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering gear moduler needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000. Updated 06/29/16

- 904-545-9012, FL, USA

Apr 252016

I have had transmission problems from day one. The car studded and stop from time to time. I almost got into an accident with my daughter when the car suddenly stopped on me because of faulty transmission. The radiator also went out. The steering gear locked up on me while I was driving and I almost had an accident with my kids in the car.

- Houston, TX, USA