CarComplaints.com Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

2014 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 23)

Jan 172017

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. The vehicle was repaired per a recall for the transmission and the computer was reprogrammed. The vehicle received another recall repair regarding the transmission; however, the contact was unable to remember the recall repair. The contact stated that the transmission failed to shift properly without depressing the accelerator pedal with immense force. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer did not indicate a failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000.

- Jamestown, KY, USA

Dec 022014

Focus

My transmission will slip out of gears lose power while accelerating and stops completely when that happens dealership replaces tcm twice and clutch once but the jerking gears slipping out and sudden loss of power has never been resolved also my A/C lines have had holes rubbed into them from serpentine belt another problem is electrical the sync and radio stopped working at 30000 miles was fixed under warrenty and stopped working again at 70000 miles told not under warrenty any more it is very dangerous because out of nowhere the speakers will crack at full volume startling driver. Another problem at 40000 miles a car pulles into my path causing me to slam into the side of there car at 45 mph with no time to stop my airbags did not deploy causing me to smash face of windshield and seat belt was fastened told dealership about this they said the car has a smart airbag that calculates the rate of deceleration of when to deploy airbags not sure how 45 mph to 0mph is not enough deceleration.

- Lower Burrell, PA, USA

Jan 162017

Focus

When pressing gas from a stop the car shutters causing a stalling then jerking motion.

- Hobart, IN, USA

Jan 132017

Focus

Transmission fault: As I was driving the vehichle began to swerve and slow down. As I tried to maintain control I attempted to give the car gas but it would not move. Luckily I was able to hit the flashers and cars behind me went around. Transmission fault appeared in the info screen. The car was purchased in 2014 and has always had a stutter and shake during acceleration and deceleration. Also when putting it in gear a grinding sound is heard. I have taken it to the dealership several times and they say "oh it just takes getting used to". they have also claimed to "reset" it. With the car stopping and swerving I was very fortunate not to be in a sever accident. This happened right near the turnpike and large semis and heavy traffic were around. I was able to get to the roadside and call for help. Ford knows there is a problem. They have extended the warranty on transmission until 100,000. But this problem is dangerous. It needs to be recalled asap. Several thousand complaints and lawsuits have been filed. (see attachment)

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 242016

Focus

Traction control is a hazard, when you need power to the wheels and the traction control engages you have zero power. While going up a slight incline with snow on the surface the wheels spun briefly and engaged the traction control, lost all power to the front wheels and had to back down. Talking with the dealer they said it is normal, not safe, but normal. Now, you can turn the tc off but requires multiple steps with programming switch in the steering wheel, plus, every time you turn vehicle off it resets tc to on. There needs to an easy access switch to turn tc off while driving or at the very least, Ford needs to reprogram the vehicles so when you turn tc off, it stays off until you turn back on. Loosing power in traffic on a hill could be very dangerous and at the best causes you to back down.

- Helena, MT, USA

Dec 052016

Focus

I bought this car used in December 2015. It has been in the shop twice since I bought it. It shudders when taking off and going up a hill. It also rolls backward by itself. It is definitely unsafe to drive. I bought additional warranty with it. I was just informed when I picked it up after being repaired the last time that Ford Focus has a junk transmission and will got out again. I realize that it is not covered under the lemon law because it was purchased used but the main concern is the safety. It rolled backwards on a slight hill even though I had my foot on the brake. It was a city street. Luckily, the person behind me was not too close and the I had stopped a little ways from the person in front of me, because I had to gas it to get it to quit rolling backwards.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Sep 272016

Focus

The tranmission/engine hesitates/stalls while driving. Rough accelaration.the first time this happened I was driving on the freeway 65mph and notice the vehicle was driving weird when trying to accelerate, when I slowed down the car would shake when trying to gain speed again. I immediately got off of the freeway pulled into a parking lot to look the car over. Turned off the car to call someone, tried turning the car back on within 5 minutes and the car had completely locked down, had to call a tow truck to tow to dealer car had 21,000 miles on it. Dealer stated the issue would be fixed some type of update needed done to the transmission. The update did not fix the problem but the dealer states everything is working properly. The car still hesitates on acceleration. I bought the car for my teen driver but I am afraid to let him drive it because I don't know how safe the car is. There is a serious issue with how this car operates on acceleration.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Dec 012013

Focus

My car was not fixed. The car continues to hesitates or putters while driving. I was wondering if the government could file a class action suit against Ford concerning this problem. I talked to a representative at corporate office and that person seems to not be concerned. He told me that the only open recall was concerning the door latch. Recalls were VIN specific. How outrageous is that. Please help me with this problem. I am a faithful Ford purchaser. Ford should be held accountable for its product. Can an recall be reissued due to lack of effectiveness? thank you for your time and response. I dont know when the problem first started.

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Jul 122016

Focus

I contacted Ford local and corporate. Ford corporate told me that recalls were VIN specific. I told them that was concerning. I am still having problems with my puttering car. I took the car in for a recall previously and the problem was not fix. The general manager called me in response to my not being satisfied. He left a message. I did not return his call. Recently, I got another recall concerning door latch. I set up an appointment for that recall. The previously recall with the switch was not fixed properly. Now my car defrost system is not working. Sometimes my seatbelt won't buckle. Why want Ford take responsibility concerning their products. I am an avid Ford buyer. Please document my concerns concerning by engine stalling, defroster and seatbelt. I noticed that there were 8 recalls for the 2014 Ford Focus. I relayed this to Ford. They told me that recall were VIN specific. I have contacted you before concerning a complaint. I am schedule to visit local Ford service department for the door latch recall tomorrow. Thank you for your response and help. I really don't remember the dates of all these problems. Brenda sharpe 2304 liriope drive rocky mount, nc 27801

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Jan 242016

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While starting to drive the vehicle, it shook violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutch failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,343.

- Gretna, LA, USA

Dec 142016

Focus

Engine over revving to shift. No engine revving or acceleration while turning. Rough shifting. Engine hesitation. Cannot maintain highway speed.gears slipping. This is the second clutch pack (they last about 10K miles) on a vehicle with 21,000 miles. The car was dangerous to drive and had to be towed to the service center.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Dec 112016

Focus

Since I purchased the vehicle (new), I have had problems with the engine. I have taken it to be repaired to an authorized Ford deal during the 3 years I have owned it - once, they replaced/rebuilt the clutch, twice for updates to the computer, and a separate time for the tires and wheel well (the dealership said some of the problems were caused by unevenness in tires, the wheel well also needed repair after my tires were rotated). The car consistently struggles to accelerate after coming to stop, such as at a yield, merge, stop sign, stop lights, or from slowing down. It shakes, jerks, stutters, makes a creaking metal sound, and most concerning, stalls. I have been told by the dealership the vehicle needs to learn my driving style, however, three years is an unacceptable amount of time. I take the car to the dealership for all maintenance. I have my oil changed and tires rotated regularly, in addition to the inspection done by the dealership at that time. When I press on the gas from a slowed or stopped position, the car should accelerate, but it stalls. It consistently stalls every time I drive it. This is not safe, especially since this is a brand new car. I have continued taking it for repairs to a Ford authorized dealership only, leaving the vehicle for days at a time, and the problem has not been resolved. Additionally, the mileage I get with the car is lower than expected and a Ford employee asserted to me it is due to the engine issues.

- Mays Landing, NJ, USA

Mar 092015

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving at any speed and merging onto the highway, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle hesitated and would not accelerate. The vehicle was diagnosed with transmission failure. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred numerous times. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 21,000.

- Woodenville, WA, USA

Dec 072016

Focus

Transmission shudders while changing gears. Had bommarito Ford dealership in hazelwood, mo inspect on 12/7/2016. Was told the clutch needs replacement. The car has 19,674 miles when inspected. Clutch is backed order and the car has not been fixed.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Dec 082016

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving various speeds, the vehicle shuttered when the brake pedal was released. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutch and seal needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 73,500.

- Iowa Falls, IA, USA

May 012016

Focus

My car has bad hesitation incredibally jerky when starting grinding noises transmission not shifting properly Ford mechanics have admitted to knowing about the problem and has told Ford that it is dangerous. Hesitation when accelerating especially at lower gears. Make sit very dangerous to cross busy intersections. Currently don't have any pictures but plan to start recording my car.

- Sturbridge, MA, USA

Nov 142016

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle lost power while driving 75 mph on the highway. The check engine indicator illuminated on the instrument panel when the failure occurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 86,000.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Nov 212016

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While attempting to make a left turn, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that there was an issue with the transmission. Also, the PCM/tcm clutch needed to be re-learned. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 27,300.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Mar 012014

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. After attempting to drive, the vehicle reached first and second gear, stalled, but continued to roll. The dealer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was operating as designed. The contact mentioned that the failure was progressing and felt unsafe driving the vehicle. The failure mileage was 40.

- Corinth, MS, USA

Feb 252016

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving various speeds, the vehicle jerked or accelerated as soon as the brake pedal was released and without depressing the accelerator pedal. There were no warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the transmission module was reprogrammed. The issue persisted and the vehicle was taken to the dealer again where the clutch was replaced. The failure recurred 1,000 miles later. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for a third time where the transmission module was reprogrammed again. The contact stated that the clutch also needed to be replaced, but the part was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified and the contact was given the number csp:14M01 to have the warranty extended. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Columbus, IN, USA