CarComplaints.com Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

2014 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Nov 112016

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 58,858.

- Niagra Falls, NY, USA

Aug 102016

Focus

The vehicle shudders when the automatic transmission shifts between first and second gear. The problem occurs when accelerating from a standing stop.

- Key Biscayne, FL, USA

Jun 142016

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving at low speeds. The vehicle hesitated while at a stop sign. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The dealer replaced the clutch module, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Blairsville, PA, USA

Oct 022014

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, but it was not diagnosed or repaired. Shortly after, the check engine and tire pressure warning indicators illuminated. The failure occurred at least four times per week since the vehicle was purchased. The dealer was notified several times. The failure mileage was 100.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Sep 262016

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. Whenever the vehicle accelerated from a stop, it vibrated without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Deli, LA, USA

Oct 132016

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving 5 mph, the vehicle jerked violently without warning. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Tuskegee, AL, USA

Aug 122016

Focus

Repeated issues with transmission, shuttering when driving. Also have had the care hesitate when accelerating from a stopped location almost causing an accident two different times. Took car into dealer to get fixed and they stated they were unable to find issue. Contacted Ford Motor Company corporate office requesting a buyback due to the unsafe conditions, they did an "good faith review" and informed me that they would not buy back my car. The would not explain the reasoning or issue and paperwork showing the review, "Ford does not have to release the findings since it was a good faith review".

- Moses Lake, WA, USA

Sep 282016

Focus

Power loss to drive train and vehicle displays "stop safely now" message. This had happened repeatedly while vehicle was in motion on public roads.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Sep 242016

Focus

Going less than 10 mph the car was making a wide turn on my street in front of my house when Focus accelerated and went through a wire fence, taking down a metal stake, over limestone boulders before hitting a tree, stumps, and bushes on my property. Air bags did not employ. Windshield totally shattered with holes from tree branches. Body of car severely damaged if not totaled. Insurance adjuster will determine on Wednesday 9/28/2016

- Dripping Springs, TX, USA

Jun 272016

Focus

When stopped at a light or something, car hesitates like it's gonna die. The RPM's shoot way up and if I go to brake, they like almost get stuck in high RPM. Transmission shutters. Tire pressure warning light stays on when I've checked the tires pressure and everything

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Sep 062016

Focus

When I put it in drive mode it goes back words.when I'm driving for about 20 min it shows my E brake is on and says transmission at fault and engin at fault

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 082016

Focus

We are experiencing exactly the same issue as many other people (41) reported on this website and more people on other websites on internet. NHTSA conducted official investigation on this issue (NHTSA action number: PE13031). We have to unfortunately report that Ford has not addressed this issue till this date (9-3-2016). Our car was multiple times in different Ford dealerships but none of them were able to resolve the issue. The replaced battery, high voltage harness, reprogrammed PCM and tpm modules several times but the serious safety issue is still present. We have experienced this issue more than 10 times since 2014 (we stopped counting), even 5 times in one day. Issue: The vehicle, while in motion, suddenly loses power and driver receives a red triangle indicator and the message "stop safely now" in the instrument cluster. Driver unfortunately cannot stop safely because the vehicle losses all engine power and is decelerating very fast so the driver doesn't have time to pull over while in traffic or driving on a freeway. We would like NHTSA to take action again as the issue was not addressed in 2013 as stated under NHTSA action number: PE13031. This is safety issue not only for the driver and vehicle occupants but also for other people in surrounding vehicles.

- Concord, CA, USA

Sep 152014

Focus

When starting from a start, the vehicle frequently jumps, surges, and occasionally stalls for several seconds. My wife was nearly hit from behind when entering an interstate highway when the vehicle stalled for several seconds.

- Ennis, TX, USA

Jul 072016

Focus

The transmission is defective, it stalls and has issues changing from 1st to 2nd gear but it was an automatic. It hesitates to go causing safety issues. Countless times I have felt unsafe as the car heisted to turn or cross lanes.

- Davenport, FL, USA

Jun 242016

Focus

Almost immediately after purchasing I noticed the vehicle had difficulty shifting properly. It seemed to be jumpy when I accelerated after a complete stop. Then, I began to notice the car struggling to accelerate while I merged into traffic. I felt what could be best described as a frog hopping when I was in stop and go traffic. Turning corners also made my car launch forward then backwards suddenly. Car was repaired. Condition slightly improved but I could still feel a constant hesitation upon acceleration. I became used to having to mash my foot onto the gas to get the car to accelerate normally, then taking my foot off as it violently jumped into each gear. After a few weeks, the problem began to occur upon deceleration too, lunging forward suddenly after I had come to a complete stop. I then began experienced a loss of acceleration while sitting at red lights, or in the middle of intersection, while merging onto a on highway, or going around corner. This annoying condition quickly became a serious safety issue when was almost hit on two occasions because of a failure to accelerate. Clutch was then replaced again. Immediately upon receiving my ¿fixed¿ vehicle for the second time, the sputtering continued. This time it was worse. The vehicles rpms seemed to be out of sync with the gear shifts. The car was constantly revving up and down when I was at a consistent speed. When I accelerated the vehicle jerked, skipped, and seemed to lose power before suddenly kicking into drive. When I came to a stop my vehicle always jerked forward before completely stopping. There were several occasions where I nearly rear ended the car in front of me because it suddenly lunged forward after I braked. Just received my car back after the third fixing and I am still experiencing the same shaking, grinding, jolting, and jumping. I have never felt more unsafe in a vehicle.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Jul 022016

Focus

While I was driving my Ford focuse SE it lost the power at the red light. The car died on me, it was the scariest moment, I almost lost my life getting hit by another car trying to push the car to the side. Very unsafe car, would never drive that car again !

- Encino, CA, USA

May 062014

Focus

I have owned this car for 2 years. I purchased it on 5/3/2014 and took it home to notice 2 days later that the trim of the body frame was coming undone and also the front bumper was detaching (it was parked in my garage). I took it back and got the parts fixed. Then a month later I returned it back to the shop for stalling, hesitation, RPM's going up to 5, vibration of car and got the PCM/tcm reprogrammed. This was all going on while driving down any road and going on the gas from a light/stop sign. I've had the clutch replaced (took 3 months of car in shop to do that). Had the PCM/tcm reprogramed about 8-9 times. My car has been in the shop at least 11 times in the last 2 years. I just picked it up last night for another reprogram of the trans and its still hesitating, has a rattling noise when going on the gas and a very serious shake to the whole car. But I get told the car is fixed or nothing is wrong. Open your eyes because there is definitely something wrong with these cars......... I have documents and pictures to prove it.

- Reading, PA, USA

Jun 082016

Focus

Transmission is jerky, difficult/slow to accelerate making for unsafe driving conditions. The car has other is issues but this is the worst. It is unsafe to drive and fails to accelerate with power or speed when pulling away from a stop, changing lanes, getting onto a freeway, or during typical driving conditions. Ford makes excuses - first it was the computer, now it is the clutch. This has been ongoing since I leased it as a brand new car Dec. 2014.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

May 202016

Focus

We've taken our 2014 Ford Focus in many times for the clutch/shuttering/shaking issue we've had. The first time we took it in they stated that they adjusted the sensor, gave me some printed out transmission information and did not document the fact that I even took it in. The car seemed fine for about two days and it was back to normal. We took it in to that same dealer about a week later and once again adjusted the sensor and said everything was in manufacturer standards. I'm pretty sure when I buy a car I buy it for a smooth ride, not some stuttering loud engine making car. It's loud enough people stare at my car. We got the recall notice and they said they replaced the clutch and the sensor and it's been fine for about a month and now the loud noise is back so I'm assuming that it's just a matter of time before the shaking/stalling comes back. We've almost been in a couple accidents because the car stutters so bad that we can't move from the start. Oh, and one funny note, we were told by the dealer not to push the accelerator pedal more than 30% of the way down when driving from a stop. So I guess I need to measure how far I put my foot down. This is by far the worst and most unsafe car I've ever had. Something needs to be done about it before someone really gets hurt.

- Baldwin, WI, USA

Apr 012015

Focus

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle suddenly slowed down and would not accelerate. During the incident, the "engine fault, service now'' message displayed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. In addition, when accelerating from a stop, the vehicle would shutter. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutch was faulty. The PCM and tcm were reprogrammed and the clutch was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 500.

- Stacy, MN, USA