Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

2014 Ford Focus miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jul 102015

The vehicle has problems during initial acceleration from about 10-25 mph range where it exhibits a bucking or vibration. Also, it seems to have problems shifting at times at the right times where you may hear a winding sound, as if it's not getting into the right gear properly. I took it to the dealership and they concede that they have been getting these complaints. They just tried reprogramming as they call it, but this has not resolved the problem. On going issue, which I will tell them needs resolution. Definitely a safety issue.

- Sicklerville, NJ, USA

Jul 012015

When accelerating from a stop the transmission jumps, shutters, slips, since this seams to be a problem with most 2014 Ford Focus cars what can we as consumers do to get this problem fixed?

- Lebanon Junction, KY, USA

Jul 012014

My 2014 Ford Focus, which I purchased a little over one year ago, has had constant transmission problems from the beginning. It slips, shudders, and makes strange noises while accelerating. I have brought it in for service with Ford and they have repeatedly "fixed" it. The problem quickly returns. They have acknowledged that "nearly all the 2014 Ford focuses they have sold have experienced this problem." I think the car is unsafe and I'm planning on filing a lemon claim with the state of Virginia.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jun 222015

The 2014 Ford Focus SE. My mom and I traded in another vehicle for this car. It was working fine at the first 3 months of having it, but then after the second month, the transmission on this car started to fail. It would start to shutter and cause you to have problems accelerating trying to keep up with the car ahead of me after each full stop, or during traffic hours on a freeway/highway. This vehicle also had a problem when I was just barely getting on the freeway I tried pushing the gas peddles to reach 65mph, but for some questionable reason the gears were having trouble switching and as I look at the meter gage it showed 50mph. I push more on the gas peddle to get more speed and it would not move higher than 55mph. For some appearent reason it stayed stuck at 50-55mph. I'm quite disappointed on the dealers who sold us the car which they knew the issue of these particular vehicles, and also the manufacturers who have cause concern for who ever had bought this type of vehicle. I would appreciate if they would just recall any Ford Focus or any other vehicles that have such malfunctioning. America is suppose to be at the top, but what's going on with this issue that needs to be resolved. I'm was born in the philippines, but I was raise in the usa. I always thought the us was one top notch place to live. America is the life and I expect alot from thee higher up's/bosses.. for sure though, safety first for all vehicles designed and created and manufactured here in America or wherever they got their vehicles.. this place is one great place to live. We should live up towards true future expectations of any type of crucial designs of what so ever or some sort. America lets step up the richter scale of exclusiveness. God bless to all with peace and respect always.

- National City, CA, USA

May 042015

I bought my Ford Focus as a Ford certified car on 04/06/2015. Car is used, had approximately 22,000 miles on it. About the beginning of may I started having problems with the car shuttering when I would accelerate. It became worse and took it into dealer for service. The service person that it is the clutch. He said that it would take 2-3 months to get the part as the clutch is on back order due to so many cars having the same problem. I asked why I was not told about this defect when I bought the car. Why didn't dealer fix it before selling it. The problem has escalated and I am afraid to drive around with my grandchildren. I am also scared as the shuttering is amplified going up hill and when accelerating. I complained to Ford motor but they have not gotten back to me. I feel that I was sold the car under false circumstances. If I had known of this problem I would have bought something else. I am 71, this probably my last car and I cannot even enjoy it as afraid of crash. This not an isolated incident. There are so many clutches that need to be replaced; why no recall?? the dealership has not fixed it and says the car is safe. I do not agree. They said there is nothing they can do until part is in.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Jun 172015

The transmission shutters very badly typically when accelerating from a stopped position. Sometimes the car will not move forward when I press on the gas and then suddenly jolt forward unpredictably. Sometimes it will get stuck in an intersection with virtually no acceleration because the transmission does not shift to the correct gear. I do not feel safe driving this car. Ford dealership looked at my car on 6/16/2015 and said they have to order a new transmission, but it will not come in for 8-12 weeks. So I am stuck driving this unsafe car for a long period of time until the new part comes in to fix the problem (if it even fixes the problem).

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Jun 122015

Since I purchased this vehicle in March of 2014, it has bucked at slow acceleration at speeds of 10-25 miles per hour. This caused vibration of the rear end and inconsistent acceleration. It occurs more often in hot weather. I have had it check twice, but the dealers say that it is normal with this type of transmission. It also is more prevalent in stop and go traffic.

- Ballston Lake, NY, USA

Oct 012014

Several times the sun roof intermittently does not close. Once it's open, it will either not stay open or will not close at all. It repeatedly opens and closes over and over and stops when the sun roof is open. Sometimes after 10 or twenty times it stops at open position or it will close. There is no way to close it unless trying over and over until it finally closes. Sometimes it will not close at all no matter how many times of trying and must wait until some other time to get it to close. Speed of driving or weather conditions seem irrelevant to the condition. It doesn't matter if the car is turned off and then re-started.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

May 202015

Ever since around 10,000 miles, my 2014 Ford Focus has been experiencing delayed acceleration and deceleration, grinding noises coming from the transmission, shaking, rough starts, and shuttering. It's caused the vehicle to lurch forward rapidly after not initially accelerating, with a few close calls in traffic. Ford is aware of this problem. I've taken this vehicle in to be serviced, only to have them tell me the part isn't available. It's been 4 months, still waiting. This is unacceptable.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

May 052015

When trying to accelerate from being stopped at a light to complete a left turn the car would not accelerator and began to shutter even though I was pressing the gas the car did not move. I was finally able to move from traffic and narrowly avoided being hit by oncoming traffic. This is unacceptable as I need my vehicle to Transport my children.I do not feel safe driving this vehicle. The vehicle is all shuttering when the transmission is trying to shift gear. If it had been disclosed the the automatic transmission was a manual transmission in this vehicle I would not of purchased it. I have had this problem for over 1 year (since I purchased the vehicle new) and I have brought to Ford 4 times and each time I am told it is operating within normal peramators. The dealership replaced the clutch only after I had the car for only 3 months. I also reached out to Ford corporation and was told the same thing and that there is nothing further they can do.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 282014

Ford Focus St '14 : on startup the engine revs to 1500 then down to <500rpm and almost stalls. In addition, sometimes while driving, if the clutch is depressed the engine revs will rapidly decrease to this near stall point causing lots of engine shutter. There is a tsb (13-9-7) released, but the engine is throwing 0 codes when the engine shutter happens.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA