Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: For the third year in a row, the 3rd generation Focus is experiencing massive transmission problems.

Most notably owners keep complaining about how there's bad hesitation and jerking when starting from a stop. This isn't the result of an old, worn out part. In fact, the average mileage it's reported to us is just over 15k miles.

2014 Ford Focus miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 202014

This problem start since I got the car they told me it was normal but this is the 3 time I almost have an accident on the highway and intersections the car engine stall when that happen the car wont respond this happen all the time if I am driving fast our slow. I already take it to the dealer 6 times to get it fix and the car is getting worse I only have one repair invoice they wont give me anything because they say nothing is wrong with the car they also replace the clutch and restart the transmission a few times.

- Del Rio, TX, USA

Nov 142015

I took my car to get fixed under the recall for the 2014 Ford Focus, it was fixed (so they said) but a month later the problem still persists. It jerks while accelerating and it also stalls.

- Spring Lake, NC, USA

Jul 112015

The powershift transmission jerks and jolts, especially at take off. I drive locally 95% of the time and this is exacerbating my current medical problems with my neck, head, back and hip. I see now that Ford withheld this information about what they called their new and better transmission. Had they told us it does this, we wouldn't have bought it. I knew the day after we got it and I was hurting bad, and the dealer would not take it back, even though they knew this car was hurting me. I took it to them in August and they acted like they knew nothing. When I picked it up two days later, they said they made a software adjustment to make it more comfortable for me. That lasted for a day and a half and dropped the gas mileage to 17mpg in town when it had been getting 25.6mpg. After the day and a half, the aggressive jerking returned and gas mileage went back up. Also, when I picked it up, they then acted like they knew about it and provided me with a two page print out of that transmission and how it works, and they claim this is normal. They also said the salespeople are supposed to tell people about this transmission, yet we were told nothing and it didn't do it on the test drive. If the car sits, it won't do it at take off, but the more you drive it, the more it does it and it is not occasional or slight. It acts like it won't even go sometimes at a green light or loses power significantly. That's how it feels to me but I don't know if it really is. It also feels like gears are grinding or something is. That doesn't seem like a good thing and like something will break down very soon. Not happy at all and would like to join a class action suit. I will be seeking legal counsel for the pain they are causing me with something that I just found out they've known about for a while. This car hurts me every time I drive it, while taking off from every stopped positii N.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Aug 282015

August 28, 2015. While heading westbound on a traveled highway; a vehicle pulled out in front of the westbound car and caused an accident wherein, the airbags did not deploy or the seatbelts did not lock. Vehicle was doing about 45 mph when accident occurred.

- Willard, OH, USA

Oct 262015

Car stopped driving on interstate 66 no power though engine was running this was only two weeks after having a new clutch for juddering and shaking and jumping forward this incident was life threatening

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Jun 022015

When the car is at a stop, while the vehicle is warm, when you start to take off the vehicle jerks and does not properly engage the transmission. At an intersection or when merging into traffic the vehicle does not respond properly and cause a danger to passengers and all other vehicles on the road. The longer the car is running transmission slips more and more causing car to continuously shutter and jerk. Shuttering increased when on the interstate for an hour. This car was purchsed new for my teenage daughter with less than 45,000 miles. We are having a heck of a time getting rountree moore Ford in lake city, fl to replace the transmission, though they have reflashed it once. If my daughter encounters an accident due to this problem I will sue the Ford manufacturer and the local dealership. God help them if its fatal.

- White Springs, FL, USA

Sep 082015

Vehicle was losing power, rough idling and stalling while driving. Took to dealership and was found to have 2 cylinders with low compression and metal in engine. Ford case#7853581 engine was replaced. Vehicle at dealership for 9 days. Ford regional customer service manager does not respond to my emailed questions. After repair car does not start up immediately, gradual problem until 9 days after engine has been replaced, the car does not start at all. Towed to dealership and has now been there for 2 days. I fear that an accident may occur while driving this vehicle and believe that it is not safe.

- Watsonville, CA, USA

Jun 162014

Car jerks and hesitates when you take off. When gears change it jerks and shutters. When you cross in front of traffic, you don't know if you'll make it or not. Has been in shop multiple times. There is no fix. Clutch plates been replaced and been waiting on more for three weeks. Afraid to drive it. Car just sitting here.

- Athens, WV, USA

May 132015

Our car Ford Focus 2014 purchased in tracy Ford, ca generates a horrible smell, localized in the back seat region. We've cleaned and scrubbed this area with soap twice, but the smell does not go away. The smell has been there for many months now, starting a few months after we bought the car brand new. It is an awful strong chemical smell. We are concerned because our two small children sit back there in that section of the car. Also, nobody wants to ride in this car because of the smell. The local Ford repair shop confirms the smell but cannot tell what it is. One dealer (tracy Ford) thinks it is chemical from plastic, the other dealer that made us pay 150$ for not fixing anything much, doesn't know what caused it and will not perform any work other than the basic check because they said it would cost thousands of dollars to take apart more parts than the basic look around check. We are worried about what this smell is, as in is it dangerous or not. We asked Ford 800 number to investigate, but they said the dealer has to confirm that is a defect for them to cover the cost. While the dealer would not perform any further investigation, unless someone will pay the thousands of dollars. So we are stuck with a car that is too stinky to drive, paid 150$ only to be told that if we want them to investigate more, we have to pay thousands of dollars. The brand new car is both too stinky to drive, and too stinky to sell. It is brand new yet we could not drive it. The dealer and Ford are both washing their hands and don't want to cover the cost. We want the manufacturer and dealer to investigate free of charge and to fix the problem for us free of charge.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Aug 052015

After completing a stop, when pressing gas pedal, car/transmission stutters then jerks forward. I've tried accelerating more slowly and then tried it faster with more gas, but it makes no difference. The car won't accelerate fast enough to safely make turns before oncoming traffic. I've had this new car 11 months.

- West Saint Paul, MN, USA

May 152015

The vehicle frequently shakes while idling at a stop and then when pressing the acceleration hesitates and jumps forward and stops like I am pressing the brake and gas pedal alternately which I am not. Very scary. Happen yesterday and I was almost rear ended. Unsafe condition. Please help NHTSA.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 132014

Sometimes when I let off the brake and press on the gas the car jerks and studders it has also done the same thing even when I did not have my foot on the brakes. Been doing this for a long time only got 9,800 miles on it financed it new

- Winterville, GA, USA

Jul 312014

Beginning at 6000 miles and 7 months of operation, my 2014 Ford Focus began operating erratically. The transmission exhibited physical shudders, lurching when coming out of 0mph, and bogging down/failing to shift to accelerate when merging onto the highway. The first and most noticeable time, it resulted in my hitting the bumper of the person in front of me and a more than $5000 repair to their car. At the time, I was a safe distance away at a drive-thru and applied gas to move forward. At first, nothing happened, then the car lurched forward suddenly. I tapped the person in front of me-- no one was hurt and no damage was done to my car, but damage was done to theirs. This has continued to worsen until now the car exhibits violent shuddering coming out of first and second and has problems accelerating, to the point where it has nearly gotten me hit going through an intersection and caused issues merging onto highways.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 162015

While at a full stop on an incline, my brake pedal went back to a neutral position when I took my foot off, but the car stayed fully stopped. Also, when I go to press the pedal again, it is locked up. It is not locked in any kids of pressed position or falling to the floor, but in a fully unbraked, neutral position. This stayed locked for about 10 seconds before I can finally press it again and resume normal driving. This is the second occurrence of this very same incident.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Mar 062015

I bought a brand new 2014 Ford Focus and didn't have any issues for about 3 months or so but then the car started jumping and making grinding sounds and getting worse and worse especially when I would take off at a light or when I would merge into traffic it's especially bad when your sitting in slow traffic you need to give yourself more room or you might rear-end someone. I almost got into a really bad accident trying to pull out into traffic but thank god the person I was trying to get in front of moved over because my car just jumped a little and felt like it stalled out. I took it back to the dealer and they knew all about the problem but there was no recall on it yet which I could hardly believe because I work with someone who had the exact same car and had the same problems. They did replace the clutch in March but now its August and I'm going back in because I'm having the same problems. I'm really disappointed, I really like my car. If I wouldn't loose a lot of money on it I would trade it in for something else, its not safe and its been such a hassle.

- Baldwin, MD, USA

Jun 132014

Car jerks and hesitates when taking off, making it dangerous to cross traffic. Shakes so bad that you can't drive it without fearing an accident.

- Athens, WV, USA

May 222014

The transmission do not shift right, fells like transmission is going out on take off

- Quitman, LA, USA

Jul 122015

While driven I had trouble with car jerking when trying to drive then error message transmission at fault and hill side assit not working. It would go for a little while then driving the message kept coming on. Rmp would jump real high and not moving then it would catch and jerk and continue going.

- Arlington , TX, USA

Jan 012014

My car has a big issue with the gear system. My husband an I bought the car brand new. After a couple of months, we noticed that the car would delay shifting into gear intermittently at first and gradually became worse. I mentioned it to the mechanic at the dealership and was told it was a known problem and it was a simple "computer problem" that could be fixed quickly. He schedule an appointment for it, reprogram the computer (or something like that) but the problem is still the same. The car has a big problem changing gears, that is not safe and there is a lot of complains about that on the internet. I complained with Ford and their final answer was: Furthermore, I have reviewed if there are any warranties on the vehicle and I am not seeing any. I have also checked to see if there are any extended service plan active on the vehicle and there are none at this time. I'm not showing any recalls or customer satisfaction programs for this concern w/ the vehicle either. Regrettable, Ford would not be able to offer any assistance toward the cost of this repair. I have however, documented the concerns you are experiencing. This information will be forwarded to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for possible future recall information. I encourage you to keep your receipts in case a recall is issued and you may be eligible for reimbursement.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 162015

For two months I've been hearing a scraping/grinding noise below my car from time to time. Before I heard the noise although, whenever I drove my car I would feel this hesitation in the car when I would accelerate. Today I took it to the mechanic from the dealer because I couldn't take the grinding noise any more and thought that maybe something below my car fell off or something. They then tell me that it is my transmission and that the hesitation from the car is also because of the transmission. I was in shock! I only have 18 months with this car it's brand new and I'm already having transmission problems"! this is ridiculous. God forbid I waited another day or week what would have happened to my car while on the road"

- Elmhurst, NY, USA