7.8

2. ford should refund my car (5 reports)
2014 Ford Focus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Focus:

2014 Ford Focus Owner Comments

May 162014

Focus 2.0L 4 cyl

This car makes a terrible grinding, rattling noise when turning corners or sometimes on straight aways. The noise started at about 5000 miles....I had only had the car for 6 months! I complained to the service dept and they said that there is a problem with the clutch system and that Ford has sent out letters notifying people of the problem. He asked if I got a letter and I told him no. He said that the problem doesn't exist for the 2014 model but I told him it most certainly does. He ordered a new clutch and they replaced the "old" one, which he said was in really bad condition. I told him that the car is only a year old! I told him I am very unhappy with this car and asked him if I should expect the same noise again. His answer was yes.

This type of issue should have been told to me when I bought the car! If I knew that the noises I am hearing were to be expected, I would have never bought it.

- , Port Orchard, WA, USA

Mar 082014

Focus Titanium 2.0L

Mar 2014 traded in Shelby GT500 (yes a Shelby) for brand New Focus Titanium from James Ford, Half Moon Bay. They got my money, so guess what, they feel they don’t have to do anything else with me and the LEMON Focus they sold me, and refuse to help me in any way whatsoever, except call me a liar and kept saying they did US a favor! The Salesman Lacy, didn’t even test drive the car, ie: lazy. I am on Incident # 3, and I believe # 4, 5 & 6 are forthcoming.

First one, immediately off the dealer lot, 400 miles (GM, Jim Brent says it's my fault, called me a liar) (Owner Bob Jamison has not returned any emails or calls) Second: 17,669 miles Third: 19,500 miles Focus repairs take 7 – 10 days to fix , and rent-a-car is NOT covered, so I must pay out of pocket. Ford is choosing NOT to cover it, and even worse, blaming the owners. This is Not what I signed up for. The nice parts lady at Napa Ford, Stephanie, has this same car, same issues and is extremely worried even she won’t be able to get this car fix properly. She hates it too. When I press the gas pedal, I don’t think I should have to hear the transmission aluminum grinding first!!!

My wife and I stay up nights trying to figure out how to get out of it, it’s that bad. We have no faith in this car. Over the weekend went to Santa Cruz 400 mile round trip and my wife now never wants to step foot in the car as a driver or a passenger. We are afraid of what the car is going to act like and if the gas pedal is going to get confused with the transmission, hesitate, stumble and HOPE the car will kick in, not know exactly if it will or in order to get the car moving properly, just how much extra gas we might have to step on the pedal to get clear, and out of it own way. No Faith at all.

I can duplicate the problem every time, just press on the gas pedal and wait. Seriously. Do you hear the gas first? Or the transmission first?

I did a pole: Budget rent-a-car says the same problems are happening in Focus & Fiesta. Ford is also sending out bulletins to Dealers to teach us the owners about the transmission noise, that this is a normal thing for these transmissions, and we must adjust. I enjoy driving, want to feel safe in my cars, but we can’t here. My enjoyment is gone.

Bottom line: This transmission is NOT normal, please STOP saying that. If you drive this Ford, you will HATE Fords forever. Please recognize this grinding noise as a PROBLEM! And stop saying I personally have to adjust my driving habits and turn UP the volume on my radio so I won’t think about it.

I rent Focus all the time, this aluminum grinding problem is NOT happening to their Focus’s, just mine.

Show of HANDS: How many people heard these noises FIRST from the car, and continued to accept and Buy this car? Saying that NEW noise is normal? I'm guessing ZERO!

Lastly, the Engineers who built this car with this transmission must have stock in Chevy cause after you own this car, you’ll never buy Ford again. Please stop giving me the attitude, I honestly never signed a piece of paper saying I would be OK with this. Never!

- , Napa, CA, USA

Jan 022014

Focus SE 2.0L

Very annoying problem, especially when you get no answers for a permanent fix. The car jerks and makes a grinding noise from a stop to second gear, also some problems when passing at highway speeds. My father had a 2013 Focus with the same problem, he traded it in because the problem was not fixed by Ford. This is my first new car and will definitely make me think about buying another Ford product!

- , Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada

Sep 012014

Focus

OK so the service department can not guarantee me a vehicle to get me back and forth to work if I drop off my car--this is the second time they said they can't help me with a loaner--however I Told them I do not feel safe diving my new vehicle

It feels like I have a stick shift--I have an automatic

it "jerks" sometimes while I pull out and this makes me nervous in traffic

it also feels like its going to stall

sometimes while turning it makes a grinding noise

they ACE MOTORS do not seem concerned about it

- , Brooklawn, NJ, USA

Mar 312014

Focus

I brought the car back into service department after leasing it in Feb 2014--I was told this is a normal feeling---it felt like it was shifting--they said it is the new engine--they feel like that so of course I believed them since they were the service department. Now its Sept and im returning to service department

- , Brooklawn, NJ, USA

Sep 222014

Focus SE

bought car six months ago...hadn't even had oil change yet only 6000 miles took to 3 different dealerships before finally getting an answer about clunking noise and shift issues they did a programming update made it worse now having to replace the clutch.... manual automatic transmissions what a bunch of junk haven't liked car since day one sign of future problems to come I am sure. I also have an issue with oil leaking around valve cover on front of engine and on top off the valve cover somehow oil sitting not a lot but for a new car why is ford saying their standard is as long as its not dripping its not a leak???? what the hell they said seeping is normal... why is it so hard to find a dealer that sticks behind there product instead of always sayings its normal up to this point,whatever never buy another focus or likely a ford again trade this one out asap but I heard no one wants to trade in for these probably lose a couple grand in the process of refinancing thru dodge ... dart looks nicer every day!!!

- , Buckland, OH, USA

Jul 012014

Focus SE 2.0L

In addition to slipping gears, which makes acceleration unpredictable, the transmission grinds regularly, at times loud enough to drown out my music. This particularly happens at slow speeds or when trying to go up a hill. I was aware that this was happening in 2012, but I thought Ford fixed it after having 3 years to do so. Shame on me for having faith in them. At this rate I do not expect the transmission to last long.

The dealer has acknowledged the problem, but has simply refused to fix it. I would presume that the problem is unfix-able or would require a re-engineered transmission, and they are just hoping I will go away. They would not even bother themselves to help me get through to someone at Ford Motor Company. I spoke to Ford's national service line several days ago and was told I would be called back in 1 business day, but still no response.

My only hope now is lemon law protection, or taking them to court over refusing to honor the warranty.

- , Harrisburg, PA, USA

Jun 032014

Focus Titanium 2.0L

I just bought a ford focus 2014, received it 2 days ago, and already want to sell the car. The car makes a lot of noises, grinding and crunching sounds, there is a problem with its transmission, one minute the car pauses, the other it just accelerate at once uncontrollable.

I took it already to the dealer, and they said it normal, that's the way it is...I cant believe it.

We have been ford customers for over 15 years, we have had an two expedition, an explorer, and two escapes. We have never had any problems, we have been always satisfied with ford cars.

* I don't think all these noises are normal, nor should a new car make such noise.

* I also don't think it is safe, as its pauses and accelerates on its own on situations where an accident can not be avoided.

* I want to be refunded fully, I cant keep using this car and take risks.

- , Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Aug 012014

Focus SE

I get this grinding noise sometimes with I make a turn or sometimes even when I start to accelerate. I asked Ford about it and they said they heard it once but they couldn't hear it again to tell what it was. I still don't know WTF! They brushed it off as nothing to be concerned about.

- , Inwood, WV, USA

Mar 212014

Focus SE 2.0L

6 days after I bought the car i started hearing the noise. Grinding noise...no wait, sounds like a aluminum cans being crushed, well I don't really know the exact words to describe it. (Freaking' annoying!) The noise happens at slow acceleration; between 15-21 mph. With my car it doesn't matter if am driving it uphill or on flat roads, making a right or left turn as long as I drive it slow I hear it. Clutch slipping? Oh hell yeah! After I make a full stop, a light tap on gas pedal and it would skid. Freaked me out the first time it happened! Thank goodness there's no car in front of me.

My car is in service right now for the fourth time! I just received a call from the service advisor, I was told that whatever noise i hear is normal characteristic of the car. (What?) A brand new car making unwanted noise is normal? Was the car designed to make that noise in the first place? I guess so.

- , Daly City, CA, USA

Nov 152013

Focus SE 2.0L

Similar to others grinding noise , clutch is slipping . Very bad in the beginning , grinding noise is coming just because the clutch is slipping . It is very annoying to drive this car in the city or on the HWY , Will you pass someone with a slipping clutch ? will you turn somewhere quick like right on red ? no . Is that safe ? no

Ford has its opinion , sounds like soon all cars will have a slipping clutch soon and that is normal

After TBS update its little better but not enough . Your car is learning the way you drive !!!! mmmmm How often have yo seen a dry clutch doing better after it slips , never !!!!

2014 Ford focus noticed the problem at 700 miles . Oil leakage maybe the problem , many people said that it is fine after seals replacement in the begging but not after . I am very mechanically included guy and I am thinking that there is something is wrong about the transmission shafts or crankshaft , no matter how many seals they will install , if those mentioned above are bent, not machined correctly or have a play the seals will always leak . In the result the oil will contaminate the clutch .

Please if u are the same as me and many other file a complain here and at http://www.safercar.gov/.

Do not let them go away about that .

- , Bountiful, UT, USA

Oct 182013

Focus SE 2.0L

Bought a great looking car 10/09/2013. I thought I was smart, took two weeks to make the right purchase. 10/18/2013 took it in for a grinding sound when car shifted gears, sounded like a manual transmission shifting from someone NOT KNOWING HOW TO SHIFT. Sunland Ford, Victorville service department went on a test drive with me and said they can't fix the problem and it's normal for this Power Shift 6 Speed transmission. Then handed me a two page detailed document explaining why I hear GRINDING then I drive. The Service Manager, said I drive like an "OLD LADY," I will keep that comment in my pocket to serve me later.... I said,"I want my MPG". I was told by the sales department that MPG depends on the way I drive. www.fueleconomy.gov reports," Aggressive driving, speeding, rapid accelerations and braking wastes 5-33% of gas.Sensible driving is safer for you and other." I have filed complaints with DMV Investigations, www.NMVB.ca.gov, and Consumer Affairs and Traffic and Safety. I have also contacted a Lawyer who loves class action law suits. We will see how this plays out.

- , Pinon Hills, CA, USA

Oct 202013

Focus SE V6

Low grinding sound, (sounds like aluminum cans grinding), after making turns, starting inclines, going up hills. Sound seems to be coming from bottom of front end of car. Cannot hear grinding sound if radio is on low. Just bought the car on 10/01/2013, and it is my first new car purchase. I would not have bought it if I knew about transmission problems on previous year models of Ford Focus.

- , Lake Forest Park, WA, USA