Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion accessories - interior problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 242009

Since buying a new 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid, the head rest/restraints for both front seat passengers are made too far forward and touch the back of the head while driving. Although we are told they are made this way for our safety, they are very annoying. The angle can not even be changed and we are still looking to replace them if we could just find ones that are just 1" further back. I have gone on-line on the internet and see lots of people complaining about the same issue and wonder why the NHTSA has not issued a recall or even required Ford to provide a replacement for a small fee? they bother my wife so much that she has removed them from the seats. Now we do not have any protection from a rear end collision.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Nov 242009

My complaint is not specific to any particular automobile, but instead concerns the front seat headrests in many late-model vehicles. These headrests are angled too far forward and are causing drivers and front seat passengers to experience significant neck, back, and shoulder discomfort. This change in headrest design is too extreme. On the internet, I have read that many car owners are removing the headrests and replacing them with the forward surface facing rearward. Others are removing these headrests altogether. It is understood that whiplash injuries may occur less frequently with the new standards, however the discomfort experienced while driving for even a short period of time is causing people to have headaches and neck and back symptoms that may eventually lead to related chronic conditions.

- Carnegie, PA, USA

Aug 082009

The head rest on my new 2010 Ford Focus (not a Fusion as noted) protrudes forward beyond the top of the seat causing my head and neck to be pushed forward into an unnatural position with my spine. This, in turn, is a very unsafe driving position to be in due to misalignment of my head, neck and spine and causes unnecessary fatigue, neck pain and headache. It is especially awkward and difficult to drive and look toward the right rear of the vehicle while being forced into a "crook neck" position by the forward protruding head rest. I purchased to vehicle new under the cash for clunkers program and without driving it. This was a big mistake as I got myself into an apparent unsafe vehicle. After driving it for only 40 miles, I experienced neck pain. My investigation revealed that the forward protruding head rest was the problem. I promptly notified the dealer where I bought it and was advised by my sales person that several other people have also complained about these head rests. I then notified Ford Motor Company customer services of the problem and was advised, "the head rests are made to our specifications". I indicated that this is a safety issue and suggested that they do something about it before they have another Firestone tire type of problem to deal with. The company rep. Then proceeded to hang up on me. As a remedy to my complaint. The dealer (service manager) removed the head rests from the front seats of my new car and suggested that I, "go to a salvage (junk) yard and try to get replacement head rests that do not cause the problem". I reminded him that I had just turned in a '93 aerostar that did not have the problem and he replied, "we just sell the cars - we don't build them". with the head rests removed, I now have no protection from whiplash which is another safety problem. I respectfully request that the NHTSA investigate these head rests (asap) to prevent injury, death or property damage. A recall is needed here. Thank you

- Canton, MI, USA