2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 23 of 32)

Jun 172013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the check engine and the mil warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken a dealer for a diagnostic test. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 75,000.

- Oregan, IL, USA

Apr 112013

Fusion

The check engine light comes on along with a wrench light. The car no longer accelerates and starts stopping. When the brake is applied it starts shaking. It has happened a few times since the first occurrence with the last on the expressway with my daughter driving. She as traveling in the left lane when the car stopped accelerating and eventually came to a stop. She managed to somehow get it over to the right shoulder as it was dying and shaking. I have done some research and this appears to be a known defect with the throttle body. I took the car in and there is a national back order on the part so it can't be repaired immediately. It seems if this is a known issue and can be extremely dangerous that there should be a recall.

- Allen Park, MI, USA

Jun 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

Was driving down highway approx 40 mph and vehicle shut off, coasted to side of rode, turned key twice, no luck, then 3rd time it cranked back up, then drove slowly another mile to home.scared me, having recently been in an auto accident (no fault of my own) could have easily been rear ended again!!! maybe a throttle body issue that needs to be recalled"?"

- Florence, SC, USA

Jun 122013

Fusion

Multiple times engine just would die and restart after pulling over to side of road and restarting. I just chucked it up to bad gas as we have had a slew of reports on this in my area. On wed June 12th while on the interstate at 70mph in busy traffic I in the middle of 3 lanes it decides to again loose accelerator pedal and idle...no where to go cars zooming up on me and honking and slammin on there brakes!. I pull over finally and turn key off and restarts easily. Upon gettin off interstate it continues to stall at will. Pulled into autozone and have it checked for error code and said was faulty throttle body. Upon looking up on line I was amazed that this is so common with the motor trends car or the year in 2010! and still no recall from Ford! I feel this is as big safety issue! what if this happens into a merge situation" or turnin into high speed traffic???" please help.

- Portage, IN, USA

Jun 122013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving at approximately 35 mph when without any warning the car stopped accelerating and began to shake and the wrench light on the dashboard lit up. There was no indication at all that anything was wrong prior to the decelerating and shaking. The rapid deceleration caused the car behind me to have to swerve into the other lane to avoid hitting me. I hit the emergency lights to warn drivers behind me and with some difficultly (due to the shaking) was able to pull to the side of the road. Once I was safely out of traffic I turned the car off. I waited a moment to calm myself as it was frightening to have no control of my vehicle on a busy street. When I turned the car back on the dash light was no longer on and the car performed normally. When I got back to my office I looked for similar incident on the web and was horrified to find hundreds and hundreds of complaints about the very same thing. This is an extremely dangerous issue. Having no control of the speed of a vehicle is life threatening. Had this happened on a busy highway it would very likely have caused an accident. I called Ford and was told to take the car in to the dealership so they could diagnose it and fix the problem. My concern is that if there is no recall on this part that causes this problem - what guarantee is there that the new part will not do the same thing. I find it difficult to believe that after all of the complaints about the same problem Ford does not think it important enough to recall or at the very least warn their Fusion owners!

- Abilene, TX, USA

Mar 012012

Fusion

When driving the vehicle it will seemingly randomly bring the engine down to idle or stall the car completely and send a P2111 or P2112 error code (throttle body stuck open/close, respectively) and the car needs to be completely shut off in order to bring the car back into a normal running state. Resetting the car does not guarantee that the issue will go away, and about 40-50% of the time the car stalls again right after attempting to re-enter traffic. This issue will commonly happen when making turns, although it is not limited to that situation.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Apr 012010

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the wrench warning icon after the failure occurred. The failure recurred several times. The check engine warning light was also illuminated and remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure; however the dealer was not able to determine a cause for the failure. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for inspection where the vehicle was test driven and the failure was duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure approximate failure mileage 1,000 and the current failure mileage was 40,000.

- Atlanta , GA, USA

Jun 022013

Fusion 6-cyl

Engine stopped responding to accelerator and only coasted. Orange wrench light came on. Unable to move car forward other than coast. Engine rough idled but would not respond. Especially dangerous problem at highway speed in traffic. Serious safety issue.

- Myerstown, PA, USA

May 242013

Fusion 4-cyl

On 5/22 dashboard message to check gas inlet after fueling. After doing that the message went away. 5/23 check engine light came on, took it by the dealer. 5/24 dealer cleared codes and said they couldn't find a problem. 6/4 my car started sputtering, lost acceleration when pressing the gas pedal. Coasted to the side of the road, car sputtered some more and shut off. Sat a minute, turned it back on and drove home about 2 miles. Check engine light went off. 6/5 check engine light came back on. I scheduled an appointment to have it rechecked. Was told I needed to have the evap canister purge valve replaced and the gas inlet assembly replaced. I opted to have the evap canister purge valve replaced because no warranty and couldn't afford $700 repair. 6/6, husband drove the car home, all was fine. 6/7 the car lost acceleration, I pulled to the side of the road again, it sputtered and shut off. The wrench light came on but then went off. Pulled over, restarted it, it was fine for about 3 miles. With no warning, the car lost all power pulling out into the road way. I coasted the car, put it in park and restarted it. There was no lane to pull over so I was in the road way. Started driving again, car shut off with no warning at a traffic light. Did the same thing, put it in park and restarted. Got going again so I could pull over somewhere safer, and got into a turn lane, it shut off and I had to coast across the intersection to park it. Very scary!! got car towed back to Ford. 6/7 and 6/10 mechanic still couldn't figure out the problem. 6/11 I get a "recommended repair" email, $1800 to replaced vct solenoid phaser, bolt, valve cover gasket, frt crank seal, diamond washer and crank bolt, ta-30 sealer, oil and filter. Code P052B, said it's a timing issue. The car is only 3 years old. Warranty expired, no recalls and Ford service can't be sure this will fix the problem!!

- Mechanicsville, MD, USA

May 122013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle would not accelerate. The contact shut the engine off and was able to drive without failure after restarting the vehicle however, the failure soon recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the throttle body would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 39,000.

- Louisville, OH, USA

Jun 062013

Fusion

I was driving around 70 miles an hour, southbound in the hov lane of I-95 near exit 2B in alexandria va. The area is a construction zone with barricades on either side of the two lane hov facility. Suddenly, and abruptly, I lost all acceleration and had to coast to a stop in a manner that blocked the right lane of the hov facility. The engine remained running in a rough idle, and the engine/wrench light came on. I tried restarting the car (shutting off and turning the car back on trying a variety of shifting the transmission to N or P). The car would run, but always at a rough idle with no ability to accelerate. During this time, there were several near rear-end collisions due to motorists traveling at a high rate of speed before encountering my completely stopped vehicle. Realizing the peril I was in, I quickly exited the vehicle and hopped the construction barricade. I called 911 due to the danger of the situation and it took around 25 minutes for the roadside assistance vehicle to arrive. After the engine cooled, the issue seemed to resolve itself, and I was able to drive the vehicle to the nearest dealership. The diagnosis was made by the Ford dealership technicians within 90 seconds of me describing the problem. The throttle body was the problem. I researched the issue to discover that this issue is extremely common and well known to Ford. The issue is so pervasive that there is a nationwide back order on the part with a lead-time of more than 2 weeks. I was angered to learn that Ford is aware of this issue yet has not sent notice of the problem or a recall and is charging customers for parts and labor to fix this problem. Most importantly, I am angered of the peril that I was placed in when this known issue impacted me in one of the worst possible places to have it happen. I cannot imagine what I would have done if my kids were in the vehicle.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

May 142013

Fusion

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion and have been having this problem for a while now where my car while driving will jerk really hard than start vibrating and then come to a halt, I will put the car in park and turn the car off and restart and drive again then the same thing will happen this time the engine light comes on I took my car to the mechanic and the Ford dealership and both told me that its the throttle body and its on back order and has been on back order for sometime now I have driven my car and its keeps happening over and over again now I am no longer driving my car and had to rent a car which is causing a financial burden but I have no choice til the part come in for my car to be repaired. I was also told by the Ford dealership that this is a very big problem with the Ford Fusion I hope this problem is resolved soon and my car is either repaired or replaced I need my car to get back and forth to work ! I also feel that I should be reimbursed once my vehicle is repaired and for the rental of another vehicle to get back and forth to work as I can no longer drive my car due to this safety hazard.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Jun 082013

Fusion

Vehicle completely lost power while driving and virtually shut down while driving on a major highway. I brought the vehicle to lamarque Ford and was told that it was the throttle body. Last week, I was again getting on the interstate and the same thing happened. This time I have 40300 miles on the vehicle. I was told that it would not be covered because the vehicle was out of warranty and the parts warranty was only good for a year. In addition, I was told that the part is on back order and it will take 2 to 3 weeks for the dealership to get the part. This is very well known with this car and a major safety issue. I am afraid to drive this car since it just completely shuts down and hesitates to start back up. It has left me stranded many times.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Jun 072013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle returned to normal function when it was restarted. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 50,000.

- Drummonds , TN, USA

Jun 062013

Fusion

While driving at 50 miles an hour the engine lost power and would barley move when the gas pedal was pushed, I was able to drive two blocks to an auto repair shop and was told it was the throttle body assembly, I contacted Ford Motor Company and found out there have been numerous complaints about the throttle body so much so that the parts are on a two month back order unless they order under an emergency condition then it still takes two weeks. I am wondering why there has not been a recall by Ford before someone is seriously injured or killed? I am now having to pay over $500 for the repair.

- Evans, GA, USA

May 222012

Fusion 6-cyl

The vehicle loss power while driving and completely shut down while driving in the interstate. I brought the vehicle to lamarque Ford and was told that it was the throttle body. Last week, I was again getting on the interstate and the same thing happened. This time I have 40300 miles on the vehicle. I was told that it would not be covered because the vehicle was out of warranty and the parts warranty was only good for a year. In addition, I was told that the part is on back order and it will take 2 to 3 weeks for the dealership to get the part. The dealership told me that this was not a common problem, but after reading on your site, it is very well known with this car. I am afraid to drive this car since it just completely shuts down and hesitates to start back up. It has left me stranded many times, including late at night while picking up my child.

- Harahan, LA, USA

Sep 042011

Fusion 4-cyl

Selling / servicing dealer began advising of carbon build up in throttle body ~15000 mi. ~20000 mi with cruise control engaged engine lost power, service engine soon light and throttle control / transmission light both illuminated, vehicle rough idled. Shut off engine and restarted after ~ 30 seconds. Engine ran normally. Read/cleared dtc P2111. Reported to dealer on 07 Sept 2011 but was unable to diagnose any problem. Problem has been intermittent since. Due to battery failure prior to 35000 mi service (19 Nov 12) engine codes were lost. Dealer performed induction service. After 40000 mi service (24 May 13) had multiple instances of the above failure with dtc P2111 with increasing frequency. On 8 June 13 had 3 occurrences at vehicle speeds of less than 45 mph with one at less than 25 mph while accelerating (entering traffic). Vehicle was diagnosed by a different deal with a failed throttle body requiring replacement.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jun 052013

Fusion

Powering down of vehicle consistent with a throttle body failure. This happened on multiple occasions between June 5-7 2013. Vehicle is at Ford dealer in gaithersburg, md with unknown time for completion. This is the 5th time N the 3 year history of the vehicle that I will be without the car for more than 2 weeks. Since I am out of warranty I was told I will have to pay for this repair. This is completely ridiculous.

- Boyds, MD, USA

Jun 082013

Fusion

Was driving on the freeway with cruise control on and all of a sudden the car shook and there was a beep and then my wrench light came on and started losing speed fast. Was able to get over to the shoulder. I turned the car off and then turned it back on. Was able to drive a few hundred yards when it happened against this time the engine light came on and stayed on. I took it to the dealer and with in 30 minutes told me was the throttle body intake with an error code of P2111. Could have gotten bad quickly.

- Encinitas, CA, USA

May 152013

Fusion 6-cyl

I had been driving my 2010 Ford Fusion sel for about 15 minutes on the highway at speeds of 65mph when suddenly I lost the ability to accelerate or maintain speed. There was no prior warning anything was wrong, and when it happened it was not accompanied with a loud noise or jolt. Instead, the wrench light on the dash illuminated and I began slowing down. Applying pressure to the accelerator had no effect. I quickly had to navigate across three lanes of traffic while quickly slowing as I coasted to the shoulder of the road. As the car slowed below 20 mph, it began noticeably shaking and surging. This continued once at a complete stop. I then shut the car off and waited approximately 10 minutes before trying to start it again. It cranked for a while before finally catching. I was then able to drive normally again and get off the highway to a safer location. Since this occurrence, I have taken my car to the Ford dealer twice. The first time they could do nothing for me as "the service engine light did not illuminate and thus no code was registered". as the issue continued and increased in frequency (now occurring at speeds as low as 20mph and 45mph, and as quickly as 2 minutes after leaving my house), I took the car back to the dealer where they were able to get it to replicate the issue while driving it. They determined it was a bad throttle body. I am now waiting on this part which is currently on back order. I was told there are over 8,000 orders ahead of me and it could be over a month before the part is ready. As a result, I have a car which is unreliable and tends to stall every time I drive it.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA