2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 7 of 32)

Mar 072013

Fusion 4-cyl

After driving for ~20 minutes and the engine warming up, the engine will surge when coming to a complete stop after braking. There is also a smell of gas. Immediately after refueling, the engine is difficult to start. Once started it runs rough for a few seconds and wants to lurch away.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Apr 042014

Fusion

Driving highway speed with the cruise control active, on my way to work. Turned off the cruise and the car "bucked." The wrench warning light came on. It would lose RPM and then go back up again. Turned around and went home. I didn't want to be stranded at 4:30 in the morning. Got home, turned the car off, and restarted, and the light was off. Took it to the Ford dealer and they said it's the throttle body. But...my car for some reason isn't covered under the extended warranty. I have a 6 speed manual. It uses the same throttle body as automatic transmission cars. What gives??

- Beaver Dam, WI, USA

Mar 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving the engine just cut out. There was no response from the gas pedal at all. The engine was surging around 10000 RPM, and running very rough. Then the vehicle went in to limp home mode. I was able to shut it down put it in park and restart, but after a while it started all over again. This happened multiple times during the day.

- Painesville, OH, USA

Mar 152014

Fusion 6-cyl

The car went into 'limp' mode, and lost almost all power. The 'check engine' indicator lit up. I was able to coast to the side of the road and restart it w/O incident, after which it ran normally. This is the first time it happened, but an online search revealed that this is not an unknown issue with these models. I was in heavy traffic and fortunate that no accident occurred.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 082014

Fusion

Went to pull onto interstate and when tried to accelerate the vehicle wouldn't speed up. Also the engine RPM's would accelerate and cause hard shifts which has progressively gotten worse, the vehicle doesn't want to start when the fuel level gets low enough to turn the low fuel light on either. All of the above problems have gotten worse over the past month.

- Williamsburg, KY, USA

Feb 182014

Fusion

Driving on highway and the transmission went out of gear, coasted to edge of highway, had power to engine/car though. Second time happen I was stopped dropping off wife and when I started to go, the car started to shake and sputter and the transmission went out of gear again. Had to coast to empty area. Both times, I shut of engine waited 30 seconds/minute and restarted and continued on without problem.

- Howell, MI, USA

Jan 242014

Fusion 4-cyl

In a nut shell the car would not accelerate properly it kept dying out every time I would mash on the accelerator.went to autozone and had a scanner put on the vehicle and a number of codes came back pointing to the throttle accelerator control when looking for the part it came back as the entire throttle body. Then come to find out the part had to be ordered, then it could nto be ordered from any retailer, went to the dealer one day to get the part and it was purchaseable, went back the next day to find it was a recall on that part went to another dealer to have the recall honored and they gave me this spill about the cost of a diagnostic test, saying it had to be done before they could know for sure if it was the throttle body. Then later that day they call back saying it was some kind of air hose that a rat had chewed through. Sounds like a bunch of hoorah to me. Tell me what do you think.

- Mpls, MN, USA

Mar 052013

Fusion 4-cyl

This is in regards to NHTSA action number: PE13003 my Fusion was having stalling problems leaving my neighborhood. It would act as though there wasn't enough fuel but not enough to stall out. The engine would shake like crazy and throw the entire car into a shake that was incredibly strong. I would have to stop, park and shut off the engine to get it to stop. This happened at least twice a week leaving the house in the morning on my way to work. Once it shook so hard I thought it might tear the engine mounts right out of the car. I took the vehicle to mullinax Ford of apopka where they had to replace the throttle body. They claimed it was not under warranty as it isn't a "mechanical" engine part, that it was an electronic component.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Dec 272013

Fusion

Car had a defective throttle body that caused the car to lose power and shake. Wrench light would come on.

- Rolesville, NC, USA

Mar 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving loose power, have to stop and shut off and restart vehicle to get throttle response back. Had to have throttle body replaced. There are several cases of this listed on internet. Should be the same issue as in your investigation PE13003. I would like to be kept informed if this turns into a recall, as I would like Ford to reimburse me for the cost of replacing the throttle body.

- Dagsboro, DE, USA

Jan 172014

Fusion 6-cyl

My 2010 Fusion car had been using quite a bit of gas, the check engine symbol came on, . I took my car to the dealer and was told I needed to replace the evap canister and the purge valve for $800 as I had P0456 code, and a P2169 code and has raw fuel leakage. I researched the internet and came across several complaints as well as a tsb bulletin, that this is a common failure in this year make/model of the car. I think Ford is aware that these components are faulty/defective and do fail and should be held accountable and made to stand behind their product(s). Consumers should not have to pay car payments and make costly repairs on a 3 year old cars. I believe a recall should be made on this car concering this know problematic matter.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Jan 162014

Fusion

Car has stalled out before a few times. This time, it chugged with the wrench light on, brown/grey exhaust. Shut it off, tried again. The same. I inched my way over to the side of the street. So glad I was not on the freeway going to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! recall this car so we can get our money back, or give me big discount on new different car/truck. Poor workmanship on this year of vehicle. Car of the year? what a joke.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Jan 092014

Fusion 4-cyl

We were stopped in heavy traffic in orlando 800 miles from home. The car would not accelerate so we limped into a gas station. A tow truck operator was at the gas station as well as a mechanic. They both said it is a very common Ford throttle control failure. Ford quoted us $1000 to fix the problem but a mechanic fixed it for $450. Initially, he cleaned the throttle control and changed the spark plugs. It drove fine in test drive but failed again on our way to hotel. We purchased the part from greenway Ford in winter park fl. They had 24 in stock because it is not uncommon to sell 12 a day since the problem is so common. The problem is now solved because we drove the car to Toyota and traded it in.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Dec 022013

Fusion 6-cyl

I had just ha the oil changed at the Ford dealership in morrow, ga. Who always do and inspection to see if there are other services needed, which they found no one. Two weeks later on my way home the engine ran hot. As it turns out the water pump had failed because of plastic impellers that are in the workmanship. Call Ford in detroit to inquire and they informed me that there was no recall because of the problem. I'm not sure if other owners have had the same failure with this car or not, but I would like to know.

- Conley, GA, USA

Jun 212013

Fusion 4-cyl

The car on multiple occasions would suddenly stop and would stall out or not allow any acceleration. Battery would die while driving car would violently shake. Throttle body was replaced in the summer of 2013 in December of 2013 we started having similar problems again with the shaking and stalling out. The throttle body needs replaced for the second time in less then 1 year. No accidents occurred but I could see this leading to accident injury or even death if this occurred on a highway. Luckily we have always been on side roads when the engine has given out. Ford is aware of this issue on this model of car this needs to be addressed and a recall needs to happen I have read hundreds of reviews since I began having issues and almost every single one has the same complaint about the throttle body this is not fair to the consumers who might purchase this car unknowingly and risk their safety everyone else's safety on the road and pay out of pocket hundreds of dollars for a known defect!

- Braddock, PA, USA

Nov 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate onto the highway, the wrench warning icon illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic for inspection, who advised that the throttle body and engine gasket would need replacing. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 71,000 and the current mileage was 72,000. Updated 3/28/14

- Maywood , NJ, USA

Jan 052014

Fusion 4-cyl Diesel

Car started to lose power and speed while driving. Pressing the gas barely made it go for a few hundred feet, then it died. On busy highway, but was able to make it to side street and push past a drive way. Restarted and was able to drive another couple of miles. After about 1.5 hours of waiting, it died 2X while driving about 2 miles home. This has happened before (a couple of years ago) to this same vehicle (taken to dealer at least 2X for the problem). Based on what I read today online, it sounds like the "throttle body". trying to get the car to the dealer tomorrow.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Dec 222013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was stopped at a traffic light and when the light became green I proceeded to turn right through the intersection. After driving about 25 yards the car lost almost all power and the engine began to vibrate. The car moved forward in a jerking manner with little power (10%). all the dashboard indicator lights came on and then went off except for the wrench light which stayed on. I shut the engine off and waited about a minute before restarting. All indicator lights were off and the engine was vibrating and jerky while driving the first few feet and then all went back to normal. I am very concerned that I would be in a dangerous situation if this were to happen on the highway at a high speed.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 162013

Fusion 4-cyl

My 2010 Ford Fusion stalled many times last weekend. I pulled the car over to the side of the road, put it in park, and turned it off and back on, and it ran fine to get me home. I had no further problems with it until today, roughly a week later. It stalled on me twice at speed, and I had to pull over, turn it off, and restart the engine, upon which it ran fine. Each time it stalled, the wrench icon lit up on the dashboard after it stalled, but did not stay on once the engine was restarted. Today after the third stall, I noticed the car was kind of jerking as I pulled it to a stop, but as I pressed the gas nothing happened. I was told by Ford that this is the throttle position sensor (tps). This switch almost got me killed in heavy traffic more than once and it's a matter of time before someone get killed because Ford has yet to recall this part!!!

- Lancaster, TX, USA

Dec 092013

Fusion

Was driving about 40 miles per hour when the car started to stall as if it was running out of gas and wrench light (check engine) came on. Pulled over to side of road and car began to violently shake. Turned the car off, waited a minute, turned it back on and was able to drive it. Two days later, driving about 25 miles per hour, exact same thing happened. Four days later, 55 mph, same thing. It is now at the Ford dealership and they are unable to find code. Code was previously found as P2112 throttle actuator stuck open. I explained what was going on, the previous code, and that I have seen hundreds of complaints online about the same experience. Apparently they cannot just replace the part if they don't experience it themselves, at least not to be covered by extended warranty. Would appreciate a recall. Dangerous to drive this car with my 11 month old in it.

- Pasadena, MD, USA