2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 10 of 38)

Oct 052013

Fusion 6-cyl

While merging onto the interstate, the car's acceleration stopped and the car would not accelerate, found out the throttle body was failing.

- Moore, OK, USA

Sep 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car stopped just as I was making a left hand turn in a busy intersection. Put flashers on, re-started the car and limped through the intersection on a yellow light, and pulled over. Limped to a Ford dealership 7 miles away and had the throttle body replaced for $444.

- Lake Forest , IL, USA

Oct 032013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the engine stalled with the illumination of the wrench warning indicator. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road and restarted, where it resumed normal operation until the failure recurred six times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where a diagnostic was performed and detected a faulty throttle body. The manufacturer was notified and they informed the contact that a voluntary recall was issued, however the contact's VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Fusion 6-cyl

Traveling North bound on interstate 77. Heavy (5pm) traffic. I was in the rightmost lane. Without warning throttle response died. The accelerator pedal had no effect on the RPM. Engine went to a rough idle speed (varying between 800 and 1500 RPM). I was forced to coast the vehicle to the right highway margin. Stopped the car. Turned off ignition. Waited 60 seconds to compose myself. Car then started and ran flawlessly. I then drove straight to the Ford dealer where I bought this car / brand new in 2010. (approximately 5 miles away from where it died). A cursory internet search reveals that Ford has replaced over 27,000 Fusion throttle bodies on 2010's, under warranty. My car is 6 months out of warranty, so dealer said tough luck. I had to pay $438.80 for repair. "regulators and Ford have logged more than 1,000 complaints. Consumer advocates in North Carolina convinced the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to begin an investigation, but in six months, the case hasn't moved past the preliminary stage." Please tell me that Ford will be compelled to fix this known issue. I read online that Ford does not consider this to be a safety issue. That is absurd. I feel very lucky that I did not cause a major traffic accident. It?S only a matter of time till someone dies!

- North Canton, OH, USA

Jun 202013

Fusion

I was driving on a highway going about 40 and the car stalled and lost all power with no response to pressing the pedal. It was idling very rough and the wrench light and check engine light came on. I shut the car off and restarted and it seemed fine until I got on the interstate. While driving on the interstate it stalled around 15 times in 20 miles. It stalled going 75 mph a few times and also stalled countless times in traffic when I was stopped and tried to accelerate. This was very scary and is an extremely dangerous issue. On the way home I experienced the same problem and rode with my hazards on in fear of being rear-ended.

- White House, TN, USA

Sep 182013

Fusion

Vehicle sputters stops and then can be restarted...only to do it again. I had the fuel line cleaned and it did no good..took to a dealer and lo and behold P2111...I received part today and will be hopefuly getting it done tomorrow...im out $400!!!

- Columbia , SC, USA

Sep 182012

Fusion 4-cyl

I was on the highway driving and noticed that my engine light came on as well as a golden wrench. Suddenly, I noticed that the car began to slow down and as I pressed the gas, the car would not speed up. I was on a 4 lane highway and so happen to be in the far left lane during afternoon traffic. It was a very scary moment. I finally was able to get to the emergency lane without causing or getting in an accident. Once I came to a stop, the car seemed to shake. I cut the car off and waited about two mins and started it back. I stayed in the right lane as I traveled home but about 10 miles later the car did the same thing. Today which is the 2nd of October the car did the exact same thing, coming from my newborn daughter doctor's appointment. This is almost gave me a heart attack because my child was in the car with me. Very dangerous and serious problem!!!!

- Covington, GA, USA

Fusion

While going down the road the yellow wrench light came on and car lost all acceleration. Car began to lurch along the road and I was able to get to safety on the side of the road. This has happened three more times and car is now back at the dealership. This is a huge safety issue and this appears to be a common problem.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 242013

Fusion 6-cyl

Car simply started to shake, a wrench warning light came on and car rapidly decelerated. Complete loss of ability to accelerate car, as if thrown into neutral. Only way to correct is to stop and restart the car. This now happens every time I drive the car - no matter the speed. Car has been going 65 mph and shut down.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Fusion 6-cyl

I was making a right hand turn on a red light. I came to a complete stop. Checked both ways & proceeded to make my turn (when making a turn on red, you need to be able to accelerate in order to effectively make the turn, obviously). My car lost all throttle power and response to the engine. My mph dropped drastically low and car started to violently shutter back and fourth. I was left like a sitting duck in the middle of the lane. Two cars swerved out of their way, almost hitting me in the process (as this was a 4 lane road/highway). I had children in the car at the time also. I restarted the vehicle, wrench icon cleared and car drove as normal. However, 3.5 miles later car does the same exact thing. The throttle body is defective on this vehicle. I have called Ford and explained it is a safety hazard and they refuse to do anything about it. My 3yr warranty has expired which voids my warranty out even though I have not even hit 36,000 miles on the vehicle yet! no recalls are being issued. No help/assistance is being given to customers with this similar issue. Ford estimated me at around $450-500 for replacement! please somebody help. I am extremely hard-working and thought I bought a reliable vehicle (at least for a while)...did not expect to have a $500 repair before 36K miles even hits! it is 100% a safety hazard, no matter even if Ford claims it is not... "the car is supposed to be able to idle still and be able to move off the road safely in the event this occurs"..... quite difficult to believe when the car is shaking back and forth violently. Please help.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving approximately 70 mph in the left lane on I-40 when I heard a noise and then realized that I had absolutely no throttle response. I also noticed that the orange wrench light illuminated on the dashboard. This was especially frightening and dangerous given the fact that I was driving during a time of high-volume traffic, and there were cars behind me also going 70 mph. Thankfully, I was able to pull over to the shoulder without endangering myself or other drivers. Upon reaching the shoulder, I realized that the car was bucking and surging, and I turned off the engine. A few minutes later, I attempted to restart the car and continue driving, but upon accelerating towards highway speeds, the same problem occurred, and I moved back onto the shoulder. I had my vehicle towed to the dealership, and after inspecting the vehicle my service representative informed me that the throttle body needed to be replaced. They also informed me that there have been so many issues with this particular part, that it is on back order with Ford on a national scale. Quite frankly, I'm appalled that Ford has yet to issue a recall on this part, and I'm afraid it will only occur after someone is seriously injured as a result of their defective throttle body. I find this extremely disheartening, and I would like an explanation from Ford as to why they have not issued a recall.

- Durham, NC, USA

Sep 262013

Fusion 4-cyl

Last year I had bought one (2010 sel) that suddenly started losing power on the highway. A very dangerous situation. The car was out of warranty so I had to pay $500 in repairs to replace a throttle body. Upon doing research this is a known and very dangerous issue for the Ford Fusion and they have done nothing to correct it. Fast forward to 2013, I purchased my second Ford Fusion about 1.5 months ago. Last week the same issue started yet again, this car had much less miles, a much more upgraded version, and was bought in an entirely different state yet the same dangerous issue occurred. I had to once again pay to have this known defective part replaced. I believe that this is a known Ford issue and it is very dangerous, and as I consumer I should not have to pay for this, and I would like my money refunded. I also think that this is a well known Ford issue, such that no only do dealerships stock these specific parts, they created a specific test for it, and Ford Motor Company should be help responsible. One should not have to be scared that they will die on the highway from the car cutting off without warning. It is unacceptable. I would like either all my money refunded or the money I paid this time. I have called Ford both times and complained and opened cases, but they have been ignored. I appreciate any help with this. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).

- Cane Ridge, TN, USA

Sep 282013

Fusion

Going down highway at about 50 mph when the car just seemed as if it was not getting any gas. The gas pedal would not work. Second time pulling out after stopping at stop sign and when pulled out in the middle of the road it stalled out again, tried pushing gas peddle to make it go and felt as if the gas peddle was not working at all.

- Conover, NC, USA

Sep 142013

Fusion 4-cyl

My car stalled on a busy highway (21 N). Luckily I was in the right lane and could coast off to the side. I turned my car off and then back on and it was fine. It happened two more times; one while going to work and yesterday when dropping my elderly mother off at her home. I was afraid to drive the highway to work as there is a lot of construction and nowhere to turn off the road should it happen again. I am now sitting at the Ford shop and they tell me it is the throttle body and will cost $560 to fix. This car is barely three years old and I am a little disappointed to find that there have been so many complaints about this particular part without a resolution. I no longer feel safe driving in my car.

- Norton, OH, USA

Fusion

Driving at a constant speed of 45mph when my car idles out, lose control of gas pedal function (acceleration) while making a right turn on a red light. (oncoming traffic coming from the left driver-side. Wrench icon comes on my instrument panel. Care begins to stutter and shake, I still can not use my gas pedal. I turn the car off and back on in the middle of the road (things reset and are fine). There is a defective throttle body part that numerous other Ford Fusion are having, yet no recall has been made? my car has very low miles for it's year and should not be experiencing this issue. I could have been seriously injured.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Sep 162013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling 70 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was found that the throttle body had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 40,700.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 172013

Fusion 4-cyl

Vehicle stalled and check engine light came on. Dealer identified problem as faulty throttle body, and replaced it. It was not covered by powertrain warranty.

- Irving, TX, USA

Sep 262013

Fusion

I purchased my Ford Fusion at a dealership three days ago. Yesterday I was driving my car home from work and suddenly I lost the ability to accelerate, and an orange wrench popped up on my dashboard. My car started to sputter so I had to coast to the side of the road and shut down. When I went to start it back up at sputtered but started again. This happened one more time on my trip home. Both times I was nearly rear-ended. Upon researching this issue I've noticed that this is a recurring problem. What I have not come to understand is why you have not recall whatever part is causing this. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. This is extremely dangerous and I really hope that it doesn't take somebody getting killed for this part to be recalled.

- Sugar Grove, IL, USA

Jan 012012

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure caused the vehicle that was following the contact's vehicle to abruptly turn to avoid crashing into the contact however, the second vehicle became involved in a crash as a result. The contact's vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where a diagnostic was performed, which located the failure at the throttle body actuator control system. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred one year later but the dealer was unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000, and the current mileage was 75,500.

- Richmond , VA, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

The rpms on the car surged and then that car shut off, and would only stay running for 15 seconds afterward. The autoshop is have to replace the throttle body.

- Pendleton, SC, USA