2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 9 of 38)

Oct 162013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving down interstate and lost all throttle response. Fortunately was able to pull over to the side and turn car off. Re-started and was able to make it home. P2111 error code; sounds exactly the same as hundreds of other complaints about these models. Mechanics all say the same thing, faulty throttle body and needs replacement. Someone needs to step in at some point and force Ford to issue a recall.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Oct 022013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle did not respond. The engine was then turned off and upon restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 122013

Fusion

I was on my way to my grandsons wedding when all of a sudden the cars power went off, fortunately was able to get off road but had I not been could have easily been in accident, turned off engine and was able to get the next few miles and then back home. However on my way to work Monday the 14th of October 2013 the car did the same thing three times and I maneuvered to side and called mike fitzpatrick Ford newnan Georgia and they came and got me.only to be told it was throttle body which would cost me over $400. The car has a little over 26,000 miles, I mean really"???" meanwhile my daughter had already went on line and knew it was the throttle body and that several others had complained with the same thing in the 2010 Fusion. So come on and insist on recall before a major accident. Could be one of your family members. I will not let this go.

- Sharpsburg, GA, USA

Oct 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

Traveling at approximately 25 mph, the engine appeared to be quitting. I punched the accelerator a number of times, however, the car didn't respond and the engine simply quit. When attempting to restart the car (after having had to flag cars to go around me to avoid a rear-end collision), it initially would not re-start. I waited a few minutes and the car started. So far it has run fine, but having this same issue with throttle body on a previous vehicle (Toyota Camry), I know that this is what the problem is and that it is only a matter of time before the engine will quit again while in motion or idling. I am now afraid to take the vehicle onto the highway for fear of a serious accident. Seeing numerous posting on this issue of the Ford Fusion throttle body, it is apparent that the company needs to issue a recall.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Oct 152013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 73,000.

- Dunn, NC, USA

Oct 122013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was sitting at a red light with my 21 month old son in the back seat. When the light turned green I pressed on the accelerator and proceeded into the intersection. The car "stalled" and stopped moving. It did not die but I could not accelerate and we were left sitting in the middle of the intersection with no movement. The car continued to idle and you could feel it trying to go but it wouldn't and I was left trying to coast out of the middle of a busy highway. I eventually managed to coast to through the intersection where I pulled off onto the shoulder of the road. When I would step on the gas the car would slightly "lurch" like it was trying to go but it wasn't getting any gas and the rpms would not climb (so not the transmission). Instead the needle on the RPM would bounce slightly up and down as the car tried to move forward. Once I put the car in park, turned it off and restarted it, the car proceeded to operate fine but continued to hesitate when trying to accelerate from a stopped position.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Oct 132013

Fusion 6-cyl

My wife was merging into traffic on a main highway, while accelerating the car entered "limp home mode" and she was unable to accelerate. She managed to pull off onto the shoulder and restart the vehicle which reset the problem. This was a couple of weeks ago, today during normal driving the problem recurred and she was left waiting on the side of the road, we were again able to reset the problem and get the car home. The drive was less than 10 miles and the problem recurred once. Since then while trying to diagnose the problem I have driven the car less than 20 miles and the problem has recurred numerous times. This car dose not have bad weather floor mats.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated to 30 mph with the illumination of the wrench warning icon. The contact shut off and restart the engine, as the vehicle resumed normally. The failure was also experienced later while driving 30 mph. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 35,000.

Fusion 4-cyl

Drive down the road and car starts to jerk then dies. I wait a minute or so the start up again and go a mile or so and it does it again, this happen all the way to the Ford dealership. They are telling it the throttle body and it happening to a lot of the Ford Fusion.

Fusion 4-cyl

On my way home from work while going 65 mph on I-65 while in the far left lane, car decelerated to 30mph and began shaking. Had to pull over and avoid being hit by 4 semis and 5 cars, thankfully managed to get in median, just in time. Car had to be restarted which it did fine, but later happened again. Called dealership and they said to bring it in that it is a known failure with a diagnosis of throttle body failure!! please do something about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 042013

Fusion 6-cyl

Upon attempted acceleration from 43 mph the car made a loud "popping" noise. The car immediately slowed and the accelerator became unresponsive. The car also began shaking and jerking. The longer the car remained on the more violent the shaking became. The second incident occurred during acceleration onto a highway. Car again slowed and would not respond to pressing the gas pedal and started shaking and jerking again. Both times I nearly avoided driving into oncoming traffic of 55+ mph.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Mar 282013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving along in traffic about 40mph car just shut off. Pulled off road turned key off and restarted car. This happened several times. Took car to my mechanic they tried to check problem but it did not stall for them. They did not want to replace throttle if they were not certain that was the problem and said if it happens again to go back at that time. About a month went by without a problem. When it happened again I took it in to the Ford dealer they said they just got a new program to test for specifically throttle trouble. My car failed the test and they replaced the throttle kit- costing me $392.20. Not only was it very dangerous to drive the car not knowing when it would just stop running but it was expensive to replace. Hope this helps with your investigation and will get a recall so I can at least recoup my expenses. The fear of being rear ended was frightening when driving in any traffic situation.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Oct 082013

Fusion 4-cyl

My wife was leaving a location in simpsonville SC and was driving on a two lane road when she felt a vibration in the accelerator pedal and realized the engine had lost power. She started looking for a pull off since a large truck was behind her and did find one across the road. She sat on the side of the road for about 3 - 4 minutes and restarted the car and drove home. This is first time this had happened and she was lucky she was not on the interstate at a high speed.

- Fountain Inn, SC, USA

Aug 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

We were driving down a busy road when we suddenly lost acceleration and could not move to safety. The wrench light came on and we had to get towed. We later found out that it was the throttle body, which was a common, known problem with this particular model.

- Canonsburg, PA, USA

Jul 182012

Fusion

My 2010 Ford Fusion lurched forward and then stalled while on the highway driving with the cruise control on. The service engine light and a wrench appeared on the dash. I was losing speed and had to get to the side of the highway causing the semi and other vehicles behind me to slam on their brakes... the semi narrowly missed me. Once to the side of the highway I turned my car off waited a second and restarted it. It ran fine for about 5 miles and it did it again. It did this a total of 4 times on the way to work and 5 on the way home. I took the car in to a service center and the code they got was "P2111 throttle actuator stuck open". I looked online and found that 2011 and 12 Fusion had been recalled for this problem but not the 2010 but see that many 2010 owners have had this same issue as I have had. Why are 2010 Fusion not being recalled for a bad throttle body? it is a very scary and serious problem and only a matter of time before someone is injured or even killed. I was lucky.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Jul 012013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while attempting to merge onto the highway, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure was experienced several times. The contact was able to coast onto the road shoulder, restarted the engine and resumed normal function. The engine and the wrench warning icon illuminated after the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic where a diagnostic was performed, which located at the throttle body. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000 the failure mileage was 65,820.

- Indianapolis , IN, USA

Oct 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

Spontaneous throttle body failure multiple times over the course of one week. On the highway, in a parking lot and driving down a normal street. Car stalled and lurched forward repeatedly. Had to quickly pull over while coasting with no ability to accelerate, then turn the car off, then turn it back on to continue driving. Very dangerous. Ford dealership replaced throttle body today at cost of $100 out of my pocket. I drive a 2010 Ford Fusion.

- Berea, OH, USA

Oct 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was approximately 2 miles from my starting point traveling at a speed of 55 mph. Suddenly, the 2010 Ford Fusion lurched while shifting into overdrive. When it lurched all ability to accelerate was lost. With cars on each side, I had no ability to accelerate; I lost speed quickly and worked my way to the side of the road (very dangerous situation). I immediately noticed the ┐┐wrench symbol warning light on the dashboard, but did not know what that warning signified. During the loss of acceleration, the car did not lose power steering and it remained running, but the engine was sputtering and not idling at a steady pace. When I got to the side of the road, I put the car in park and tried to ┐┐rev┐Ł up the engine, but I had absolutely no control of the throttle. The wrench light was still on. I then turned off the ignition and waited about 1 minute then restarted. The car again had no acceleration ability and sputtered which sounded very much like a cough. I turned the car off again and called for assistance. Approximately 5 minutes later, when assistance arrived, I started the car again. At this time, the wrench warning light was off and the car appeared to idle normally. Upon research, I found that the wrench symbol means: Throttle control/transmission problem. The driver of the car should contact the authorized dealer for service as soon as possible.

- Edwardsville, IL, USA

Feb 242013

Fusion

Traveling on the pa turnpike the engine just stalled. We had to negotiated to the side of the road with no ability to negotiate around traffic. Notified Ford and sands red hill Ford and they said there was nothing wrong. It happened again traveling around 45mph. I saw complaints online (web) and paid sands to have them replace the throttle body. After replacement the problem was fixed. The cost was $385.51.

- Boyertown, PA, USA

Sep 292013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was at a stop light. The light turned green and I began to accelerate to about 10 mph when the car suddenly began running rough and I could not increase speed. It slowed down to about 3 mph and the wrench light came on and no matter how far I pushed the pedal it would not move past 700 RPM. The car behind me which had seen me start to go assumed I was going to keep accelerating and had to brake hard to avoid running into the back of me. I sat in the left lane until the right cleared so I could literally roll it onto the shoulder to avoid getting rear ended by traffic. I shut the car off and re-started it. It seemed to work fine after that. The next day, it did it again to my wife. She was starting to accelerate, the wrench light came on and no power, gas pedal was inoperative and it was running rough. This repeated itself several times more that day. Did it again and it seemed it was increasing in frequency. Took the car to the dealership and they said the throttle body failed and that it is a common occurrence. It had an error code of P2111. This part should not fail so easily and it nearly caused my car to get rear ended. I did a little research while at the dealership because I felt that this part failing so early and with so little mileage (which most is easy highway) was odd. I come to find out that this is not an isolated incident and it seems more and more are failing. Ford even acknowledged they had made some defective ones. This part should be recalled.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA