Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 8 of 38)

Sep 252013

Fusion 4-cyl

The throttle body on my 2010 Ford Fusion SE failed. My car lost power and stalled out four times while driving in traffic. I have replaced the part and would certainly like to see Ford recall this part.

- Auburn, NY, USA

Jul 172013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving about 40 mph. Car jerked then shut off. Brought it to a mechanic and was told it was the full body throttle.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jun 212010

Fusion 6-cyl

On a highway I started from a stop and my 2010 Ford Fusion moved forward and then dropped into idle with no response to the accelerator and I was forced to pull drift off the highway into the nearest parking lot. I called the dealer and moved slowly to the dealer for an assessed faulty original electronic throttle assembly requiring replacement for $629 with a backlog of 9000 of those parts in the Ford supply system.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Oct 262013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact was driving 50 mph when the vehicle began to lunge and jerk. The vehicle failed to accelerate and stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnosis but was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 35,600. Updated 12/24/13 the throttle body failed. The consumer stated he purchased the part from a local Ford dealer and installed it himself. There have been no further problems.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 132013

My 2010 Ford Fusion *just* turned 30K miles;the basic warranty ended 7/31/13. On 10/13 driving 60 mph on I-95 in the middle lane in heavy traffic the car suddenly stalled-no engine power/response when I pressed on the accelerator. A wrench light was lit on my dash. With no engine power to quickly pull over, I was afraid of being hit & barely coasted over 3 lanes to the breakdown lane. I came to a complete stop & it started bucking.I realized the car had not stalled--it had lost engine power. I put it in park, turned the ignition off & on to start the car. It started fine, idled fine, no wrench light lit; I eased my way back into traffic. Almost immediately the same thing happened: The car seemed to stall-lost all ability to accelerate.the wrench light was lit; this time the engine light was lit.fortunately, I was in the right-hand lane & could coast into the breakdown lane; the car started bucking again. I again put the car in park, turned the ignition completely off & on again to start the car. Again, the car seemed to run fine, the wrench light went out, & the engine light stayed lit. I gingerly reentered traffic & drove home slowly in the right-hand mechanic retrieved a service code of P2111 which is the throttle body assembly. I researched-this is known problem, there have been many complaints, there is a tsb, & there has been communication between NHTSA & Ford Motor Company. I called my dealer, explained, gave them the code, told them what I found & that it should fall under the emissions defect warranty (it is technically an emissions defect), it is a known issue and since my car was barely out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty & only has 30,000 miles on it, it was a goodwill matter.fearful of breaking down again I had the car towed ~30 miles to the dealer.they said it was the throttle body assembly & it was not covered by warranty. The repair cost would be $420.58!!

- Barrington, RI, USA

Oct 252013

When accelerating the cars engine suddenly stalls. Had to stop, and turn off the car completely, and re-start.

- Holt, MI, USA

Oct 022013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the throttle body and motor assembly would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 56,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 052013

I was driving car three different time when the transmission shifts strangely and loses power then idles erratically and cannot accelerate, car displays error code on dash. I turn off car and restart and code goes away and runs good.

- Monrovia, IN, USA

Oct 232013

Fusion 4-cyl

Tried to start vehicle after filling up on gas, already had about 1/4 tank prior to fill up, recently driving for several miles (car is warmed up fully) and it immediately stalled. This had never happened to me, and it occurred to me that just before the gas fill up I noticed somewhat rough engine response in a very short drive from across the street. I've read that there are issue with throttle body faults on Fusion and escape that do not log under normal odb 2 codes after turning engine off. I never saw the check engine light come on.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 182013

I was driving on a main road and after accelerating through a light, my car stopped accelerating and my "wrench" light came on. I could no longer accelerate and the car began jumping back and forth as if it were trying to switch gears. Luckily I wasn't on a major highway. I shut the car off and turned it back on and the light went away briefly. After pulling onto a side road it happened again and when I put it in park, my RPM gauge began fluctuating and I was not pressing the gas also began hard shifting and it seemed as though the transmission was going to drop. Not sure if this is a computer issue, but it is clearly not safe. It stalled several more times on the way home. It's definitely not safe to drive and thankfully I was not on a major highway where lives could have been at risk. I researched this weekend and clearly other people have had the same issue. I can't believe this isn't a recall. Hopefully Ford takes care of this before someone gets seriously hurt.

- Everett , MA, USA

Sep 122013

Fusion 6-cyl

As I was going to work just before 5 pm - I was traveling about 35 mph but lost power yet was able to roll slightly off the road. I pumped the gas pedal to no avail. I call the service department of Ford in our town and made an appointment for the next morning. (this had happened to me about a week before as I was pulling into my mother's driveway.) I was able to restart the car and continue to work. As I was leaving work, I only got about 1/10 of a mile and it happened again. I pumped the gas pedal but had no power. Each time I noticed a "wrench" light on the dashboard. I again pulled off the road and called roadside assistance. When the tow truck driver arrived he said he had towed one the previous day with the same trouble. Luckily, mine was still under warranty. I was told the next day by the service department that it was the "throttle block". it was ready for pick up later that day, but I was going out of town and when I returned to pick it up - they pulled the paperwork for another car (not mine) at first that had the same problem. I also learned that my granddaughter 2010 Fusion had the same problem within a few weeks. This has to be a defective part ! I hope that Ford will make a recall for the "throttle block" and repay all those who have had to pay because their warranty had expired.

- Cookeville, TN, USA

Sep 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. The engine was restarted after several attempts however, the vehicle stalled several times afterward. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body motor assembly and the throttle switch needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 43,485 and the current mileage was 44,000. Updated 11/14/13

- North Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jul 082013

Driving on highway to vacation, after 1 hour my car began to shake and slow down. Car did not respond to gas pedal and continued to decelerate on one lane highway. Due to no pull off area had to continue on hwy with possibility of crash imminent. Cel light came on and wrench light came on. Pulled off hwy and at stop car shake and stalled. After a few minutes restarted car and continued trip. Car repeated sequence of events 3 more times before reaching destination. On return home next day car repeated sequence. Car remained off for 15 mins during which time I pressed the reset button. Car restarted and did not stall and returned home. Next day I took car into dealer. My car stalled 3 times on the highway on trip to dealer. After throttle body was replaced, had incident with engine racing to 6 rpms.

- Davidsonville, MD, USA

Sep 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving southbound on Georgia 400 in center right and car engine stops. Pushed gas pedal a few times, but car would not respond and slowed down quickly. Was heading uphill just South of the chatahoochee river. Electrical was working as radio remained on and I was able to apply hazard lights and coast to the shoulder. Placed card in park and turned ignition off. Immediately turned ignition on and car started. Was able to drive car to destination with no issue. I paid Ford dealership to replace throttle body and motor assembly.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jun 222012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle decelerated and would not regain acceleration. The wrench warning icon illuminated. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact stated that the manual indicated that the wrench illumination was related to a throttle body failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 26,400.

- Barberton, OH, USA

Oct 182013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving my vehicle on the highway the throttle response became very unresponsive, and the car shut off at speed of approximately 55mph leaving my wife and infant daughter to slowly drift off the road at the best possible place. There was a "shuttering" of the vehicle, and poor throttle response before it shut off while at operating speed.

- Belews Creek, NC, USA

Oct 142013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway and the car loss power to accelerate. I pulled the car to the side of the highway and turned the vehicle off and restarted the vehicle. I returned back on the highway and the car once again loss power and was stuttering and would not accelerate the engine. I pulled the car off the highway again and turned the car off and restarted the car once again but this time the check engine light stayed on. I took the car to the dealership and they replaced the throttle body.

- Ofallon, MO, USA

Oct 092013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving vehicle the speed became to rapidly decrease while the check engine light came on and the car begin shake and sputter. Tried driving again and realized that I was fine as long as I did not go over 40mph. Had to have me car towed home because of the distance between my job and home. Called around, had the code read on the car and it was a "P2112" error code which pointed to the throttle body failure. Contacted Ford and was told that although this is a known issue, I would have to pay for my own part-labor. Paying $445 on tomorrow to have the car repaired. I just purchased the car in January 2013, and me paying for repairs on tomorrow means that I cannot pay my car note. This is horrible since the representative at Ford customer assistance stated that this is a known issue. I've seen multiple posts online regarding the same thing. This is also a safety hazard, had I been going faster on the interstate (I had not made it on yet when the issue first started) myself or someone else could've been seriously injured or killed because of the sudden stop.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Oct 162013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving down interstate and lost all throttle response. Fortunately was able to pull over to the side and turn car off. Re-started and was able to make it home. P2111 error code; sounds exactly the same as hundreds of other complaints about these models. Mechanics all say the same thing, faulty throttle body and needs replacement. Someone needs to step in at some point and force Ford to issue a recall.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Oct 022013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle did not respond. The engine was then turned off and upon restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA