2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 12 of 38)

Sep 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was traveling on a two-lane paved road in a 50 mile an hour zone when I felt the car start to decelerate. I pushed on the gas pedal but nothing happened and the car continued to slow down. I was able to pull over at the intersection of a side road where I shut the car off. I started the car back up and proceeded out into the main road. Less than a mile down the road the car started to decelerate again and I turned onto my street and coasted to a stop. Both times the check engine light and the wrench icon on the dash came on. When I had the cause of the check engine light diagnosed, I found out that the car's throttle body had failed. I could only order the part through a Ford dealership and the closest one is 40 minutes away from me.

- Woodsville, NH, USA

Sep 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving approximately 40mph on a six lane divided road, the wrench caution light appeared (indicating transmission/throttle malfunction). The engine RPM immediately dropped and began fluctuating around 1,000 and the vehicle began to shake violently. There was absolutely no response to accelerator inputs. The driver was able to maneuver the vehicle clear of traffic. The maximum speed that could be attained at the fluctuating RPM was 14 mph. It is a miracle the vehicle was not in rear end collision as the posted speed limit was 45mph. Car was allowed to idle at the reduced RPM while driver inspected the engine and pressed the accelerator. The car was turned off and back on (with a little bit of trouble turning over). The incident occurred once on 26aug2013, four times on 13sep2013, and once on 14sep2013. The car has not been driven since the last occurrence. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who recommended taking it to a Ford dealership due to only having 1,400 miles left on the powertrain warranty. The service department was able to pull P2111 code. After receiving an exorbitant quote for the repair ($230 for part, $280 for labor) with no estimated delivery date for the backordered part, the repair was denied to allow for further research. The dealer has absolutely no qualms releasing the car with a known malfunction, presenting a hazard to the driver and others on the road. A car that immediately decelerates should be considered as dangerous as an uncommanded acceleration. To prevent serious injury/death, Ford should issue and immediate recall for the failing throttle body.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Aug 212013

Fusion 4-cyl

Due to the failure of the throttle body, the car engine quits at various speeds or will not accelerate and stalls with on coming traffic. When this happens, the cars power brakes and steering fail to work creating a very unsafe event. Ford has had hundreds or thousands of problems with this according to the local dealership, if fact they have several cars waiting for parts (throttle body) to repair in their back lot. I have been promised by Ford customer service the part would be shipped for over three or four weeks, but they have shipped none due to the manufacture on back order or putting the parts in "new" cars to sell. We have no choice but to keep driving the vehicle doing this time. Ford refuses to provide a rental car since my car is "out of warranty", in the mean time, they will not ship the part to repair. If, according to the dealership, they are having this problem with multiple models, why has this not be a recall by Ford to fix or furnish a replacement while they can't send the part to fix the safety problem. (when the car quits at 35-60mph in traffic, this is a safety problem.)

- Springfield, MO, USA

Sep 132013

Fusion 4-cyl

Sat at stop sign and when I went to pull into traffic the car wouldn't accelerate and went real slow and was sputtering.

- Hobart, IN, USA

Sep 132013

Fusion 4-cyl

When driving through a intersection the car just quits working almost were ran into many times. I took the car to the Ford dealer and they are replacing the throttle body.

- Streamwood, IL, USA

Aug 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

Traveling about 50 miles per hour and suddenly no power when trying to accelerate. Car starts shaking and slows to nothing. Fortunately, no one was behind me at the time because the car continued to shake & then shut off right in the middle of the highway. Very frightening and shocking. So thankful my grandson was not in the car with me at the time. The 2nd time it occurred, my husband was driving it and he turned out onto a main highway from our neighborhood & it turned off on him. Another vehicle traveling at least 55 miles per hour came upon him before he got it restarted & nearly rear ended him. Thankfully, they were able to stop in time, but were quite angry & blowing their horn because they assumed some fool had just stopped in the middle of a busy highway! this happens with not enough warning to get off the road & sometimes that is impossible anyway.the car did this three more times as my husband decided it was going straight for repair. Fortunately he had called me & I was able to follow him in another vehicle him my hazard lights on for safety.I kept a safe distance and was alert for when it turned off. This made me truly realize, as it continued to turn off on him, how very dangerous this was for the person in the Fusion & for the vehicle behind them or coming into an intersection. I knew to be aware, but others wouldn't be. This is very dangerous in intersections & when pulling out onto highways. We know we can't drive this and are trying to get it fixed, but apparently it is a major problem for Ford Fusion because we were just told there is a 3-6 month wait for the throttle body part which is the problem. Very frustrated and frightened for those still driving these vehicles on the highway because who knows when it will happen to the car and what tragic accident may occur. Ford needs to recall & get these vehicles fixed!!!!!!

- Elkton, VA, USA

Aug 222013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 75 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the maintenance light. The failure recurred on three occasions. The contact was able to pull over and restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Griffin, GA, USA

Sep 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was slowing to exit the interstate when the yellow wrench light came on and the car lost power. I was able pull the car to the side of the road. The engine was running extremely roughly and I turned it off. After about 15 seconds, I was able to restart the car and it acted normally. I was able to continue on my way. I parked the car several times and had normal restarts. I headed home. I only got a few miles before the yellow wrench light came on and then the yellow engine light. I was not possible at this point to restart the car without the yellow wrench light coming on immediately. I had the car towed to a local dealership. They determined the car had an error code P2111. The dealer replaced the throttlebody.

- York, ME, USA

Sep 052013

Fusion 4-cyl

While traveling on Ohio route 306, the car lost all throttle power abruptly, in heavy traffic. Due to the failure of the throttle body, I went from 45 to zero on an incline with many cars behind me honking. I restarted the car but while the engine was running I had no throttle power at all. Ford does not see a problem here and said it is not a major issue. Had my daughter been driving and this happened to her, I would have been concerned for her safety with the heavy traffic and dangerous conditions getting out of the vehicle. Though I was not as concerned for myself, the failure put me in an extremely vulnerable and dangerous state.

- Aurora, OH, USA

Sep 082013

Fusion 4-cyl

While traveling on I64 Sunday September 8th on the way home from williamsburg, my car, while in a lot of heavy traffic on the interstate, stalled and the " wrench " light came on. Luckily I had good control of the car to pull off the interstate. The car lost all power and wouldn't response to throttle input. The car was shut off and after 10 minutes, attempt to restart car which was successful. Car run normally for about 140 additional miles, then stalled to low power and lack of throttle response yet again. Turning off and then turning back on was unsuccessful in getting the vehicle to run normal again. Tow truck was called and vehicle towed to local Ford dealership. Was informed that the throttle body was the culprit and was on backorder. If this is a known problem, why are people being put at risk for serious injury or death, without being informed of the potential of probable stalling.

- Grottoes, VA, USA

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle stalled. The contact also mentioned that the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 29,000.

- Raymore, MO, USA

Sep 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

This is the third incident (different days) where I've been driving and the car starts to lose power. The wrench light came on and the car stutters and loses power. The past two times (different days), it happened once and I shut the car off and restarted and it was fine. Today I went 3-4 miles in the city and it happened 5-6 times in a short period. I have a scheduled appointment with the Ford dealership in our area. They said they do this same repair (throttle) 2-3 times a week. I am very frustrated and disgusted with Ford. There have been numerous reports and still no recall. Are they waiting until someone gets killed before they will do something? the dealership said it would cost about $500 and luckily they have the part in stock.

- St. Johns, MI, USA

Sep 092013

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving to work on a busy highway, going approximately 62 miles per hour, when my car just started to die. I went from 62 miles per hour, down to about 5 miles per hour in a few seconds, my wrench warning light and check engine light were on, I cannot believe that I was not rear ended or that I was not the cause of an accident. I pulled over to the side of the road as best I could, turned the car off. When I restarted it and tried to move, it chugged and there was not any power. I sat for about 15 minutes, and tried again, I was able to get another couple of miles to work. I took my car to the dealership and they stated that it was the throttle body, the cost is $425 plus tax to fix, made me sick. After seeing all of the complaints about this, I cannot believe that the throttle body is not a recall item, it is truly a safety concern. My car is a 2010 Fusion, I had to spend $325 at 30,000 miles for new rotors, so this really is upsetting.

- Lodi, WI, USA

Sep 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

Ongoing issue with acceleration developed into a malfunction in the throttle body. I had noticed intermittent stutters during acceleration and deceleration. This time, the car lost power to accelerate, vibrated violently, and forced me to pull over for fear of causing an accident. Now it is recurring and although the code erases and it seems to be fine, it will suddenly fail to operate properly and cause me to cut out of traffic as quickly as possible.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Sep 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

Drove off from work and shortly after I noticed the car slowed down and started to vibrate and finally lost power. I was able to pull over, I turned off car then tried to restart but it did the same thing. I then decided to shut it off again and give it more time surely after a few minutes it seemed to be fine but right before getting home it happened again. Husband drove to autozone and had a diagnostic check and results were..."trouble shooting problem from auto zone code P2111 the throttle actuator control system".

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 242012

Fusion 4-cyl

While I was driving, the car would loose power. It would not die but would not have any acceleration. When I pulled off the road the idle would get very rough. I shut the car off and started it back up, then it would operate properly for awhile. Then it would do the same thing at different times and different speeds.

- Houston, TX, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

While on highway the vehicle stuttered, lost all throttle power (no acceleration) and the wrench light came on. Had to pull over to the nearest shoulder while losing speed. Once stopped the car jittered and tugged and continued to do so even while in park! after turning the vehicle off and then waiting a while, it started up without the issue and without the wrench light on. After taking it to the Ford dealership they told us it was the throttle body and that we would have to wait until it was ordered because it was backordered and also they said we would not be covered for this under warranty. I suspect they know of their faulty products and had the audacity to charge so much to get it fixed. This is truly a safety hazard.

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

Fusion

Throttle body faults w/out warning (Ford part 9E926). When driving at highway speed the engine light (wrench) appeared and the car abruptly lost acceleration decreasing immediately from 70 mph to approx 10 mph in high speed interstate traffic. Engine idle bounced between 1.5 and 3.5 RPM causing the car to jerk and feel like it was going to stall. I was driving with my 5 year old son and was almost rear ended and nearly struck several times by other cars on the interstate still traveling at a high rate of speed while I had to switch lanes limping at 10mph. I was able to restart the car and clear the engine error after I reached the should and proceed. However this has continued to occur and even when the car is running without the engine light the RPM bounces around and the engine will not idle properly. The second time this happened I was in the middle of a busy intersection and lost thrust stalling and blocking oncoming traffic. In the last month I would estimate this has occurred 3-4 times per week during normal driving. I contacted Ford and was informed there was no recall however the part is on indefinite back-order and unavailable to me for repair. It may be several weeks before I can even obtain the part. I am forced to drive this car not knowing when it's going to shut down again and hoping that I am not involved in an accident while I wait for the part. This is entirely unacceptable.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Aug 072013

Fusion 4-cyl

Was driving on a state road going approximately 40-45 mph. Began to accelerate to go up an incline and then engine sputtered and then shut off. Same thing happened a week later going about 5-10 mph while accelerating from a stop sign on a residential street. Took the car to the dealership and the problem was a bad throttle body which was replaced.

- Cheshire, CT, USA

Sep 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

Wednesday, two days before the incident I had taken my vehicle to Ford for the $423.74 recommended 60,000 miles service. The car had never stalled before this scheduled service. Friday I was traveling on a three lane interstate in traffic and passing a vehicle in the left hand lane when I realized that I had completely lost power. Everything was working, steering, air, radio, etc. But there was no power when pressing the gas pedal. I was placed in a dangerous situation as I made my way without power to the right hand lane and the side of the road coasting slowly. As I slowed I once tried moving the car from drive to low but still no power. When my car had almost stopped I could feel a bumpy low power as I pressed the gas. The car stopped and I turned off the engine. I immediately tried to start the car again but nothing happened. It was like the starter was bad, but after 5 minutes the car started and behaved normally. I immediately took the car back to the Ford dealer and was told it was the throttle body and that there is a problem with it but not a recall. It costs over $500 to fix. I was lucky not to have been involved in an accident because of this problem. There needs to be a recall. This is unacceptable.

- Zionsville, IN, USA