2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 18 of 38)

Fusion 6-cyl

Car suddenly lost power at highway speed, had to pull over, rough idling; amber wrench lit up. Car towed to dealership. Could not find problem but sounds like throttle body failure as described over internet and by another dealership's service manager. Advised to see if occurs again.

- Mystic , CT, USA

Jun 122013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the accelerator pedal was engaged and failed to respond. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. After waiting a few moments the engine was restarted and the vehicle operated normally. The malfunction recurred two times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the throttle body was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Car loses power and stalls at city or highway speeds (have to pull over). Car shuts down when idling. Ford was contacted by our service center and we're told we need a new throttle body, but they are on back-order. There are at least 5000 orders ahead of us. Service person said he is not aware of a recall for this problem. Car was purchased new.

- Marshfield, WI, USA

Aug 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

8/11/13 driving home after church, traveled approximately 1.5 miles when wrench light came on and vehicle lost power. No throttle response. Coasted off highway and after three cranking cycles it restarted with no lights activated. Drove next 15 miles home with no problem. 8/12/13 driving in town after approximately 1.5 miles the same thing occurred. After three cranking cycles it restarted and drove home with no lights. Plugged scanner in at home and found code on freeze frame of P2111 indicating throttle stuck open. Looked online in Ford Fusion forum and found several others with same issue. Ford indicates the throttle body needs replacing. I believe this a safety issue that Ford should recall and repair at no cost to the consumer. My 16 year old daughter drives this car and stalling in the middle of traffic or losing throttle response is not a safe situation for her to be in, especially if this occurs when pulling into traffic.

- Starke, FL, USA

Aug 122013

Fusion 6-cyl

Sitting at a light and the vehicle started idling very rough - dipping below 500 RPM and surging to about 1200 RPM. Car went into limp mode when I hit the gas. Pulled into a gas station, shut car off, restarted after about 30 seconds. Ran fine for about 5 minutes. Then proceeded to idle rough at the next three stoplights - this time not surging. Car eventually stalled and had to be restarted all 3 times. Seemed to run ok on the highway, but stalled once more at a light after getting ff the highway. Idled it in driveway when I got home. Idling very rough but hasn't surged or stalled now.

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA

Aug 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving down I-95 at 70mph when the throttle cut out. An amber wrench trouble light was illuminated on the right side of the instrument panel. Pulled of to the side of the hwy. Able to restart the car, but the engine cut out again about 2 miles down the road. Started up again and limped to a parking lot. This time the amber, check engine light was on. Called dealership and they said it sounded like a throttle body problem. I was able to limp home for 15 miles. Had to maintain the engine at 1500 RPM or below. As soon as I went above 1500 RPM, engine would cut out or start choking and had no throttle.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Fusion

After accelerating to approximately 55 mph, leaving off accelerator, engine lost power. Had to pull off the road. Engine was at a rough idle. After shutting engine off and re-starting check engine light came on. Would have been dangerous in traffic.

- Bretz, WV, USA

May 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

On three separate occasions, the car completely lost power. It completely ceased to function without warning. Fortunately, my daughter was not injured. However, if this would have occurred as she drove at highway speed, she could have been killed. After during some research, I discovered that the problem was most likely the throttle body. We took it to the dealership where it was purchased. They confirmed my suspicions. It took close to a week for the part to come in - because - the service manager told me - there was a huge waiting list for this part because they keep failing. (plus, she was without a car.) he told me that Ford really doesn't see the need for a recall at this time, even though they are well aware of the problem. People could die. On one occasion, her car failed going down a very steep and winding hill. Fortunately, she was able to pull off of the road. Ford's attitude about this is criminal. My other daughter also has a Fusion. I worry daily about her safety. I am considering getting the throttle body changed just to keep her safe.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Fusion

After accelerating to approximately 55 mph, leaving off the accelerator, engine lost power. Had to pull off the road. Engine was at slow rough idle. After shutting engine off and turning back on, check engine light came on.

- Bretz, WV, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Was going 60 in the middle of rush hour and car just went to nothing in seconds. Had my 14 month old son with me. Scared me. Car was puttering wouldn't go over 10 miles an hour. Didn't know I could shut it off and back on. Found out later by doing research it could be the throttle body. Took to shop and they said that is what it is. Costing me 600 dollars to fix and they consider it a hazard. Noticed after doing research that this is happening on alot of 2010 - 2012 Ford Fusion. Not sure why a recall hasn't been done. I would like my money back if there is was or gonna be one..

- Anna, TX, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Was driving on highway with cruise control set. Vehicle began decelerating as if cruise control had shut off. I attempted to resume the cruise control with no success, as the car continued to decelerate. I pushed on the accelerator in an attempt to regain speed, because a vehicle behind me almost struck me in the rear. I had to maneuver onto the shoulder and came to a stop, because the car would not accelerate. I shut the car off and restarted it. It ran rough, but would accelerate and I was able to continue my 85 mile journey home. I have since learned this is a common problem with the 2010 Ford Fusion 2.5 liter engine, as the throttle body is defective.

- Clinton, MO, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

My pregnant wife was driving my car home on the highway when the car suddenly died on her while she is in the fast lane. She pulled the car over to the side of the road and turns the engine off and then back on. About 20 minutes later the car dies out again, this time the shoulders are non existent and she is forced to turn the car off and on in the far right lane. My wife and unborn child could've died last night and it seems this is an issue that Ford is aware of. When are they going to recall these faulty vehicles or at least replace the faulty parts that they put in them. We shouldn't have to pay one penny for their mistakes.

- Campbell, CA, USA

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving at 45 mph and the car jolted then the wrench symbol came on the dash. The car than began to slow and the RPM would not go above 1000. I pulled over and the car was idling very badly. I turned the car off waited a few minutes then turned it back on and it was fine. My husband has a code reader and when we hooked it up and there were no codes. I started looking on the internet and found a lot of complaints regarding the throttle body and that Ford is under investigation for this.

- Channahon, IL, USA

Aug 012013

Fusion

I was driving on the freeway and the car jerked I tried to give it gas and it wouldn't go anywhere had to pull over on the side of highway and turned the car off and it worked fine I hooked a code scanner and trouble code P2111 popped up throttle body stuck open..

- Dallas, TX, USA

Fusion

Call stalled in the middle of driving 2 xs in the worst part of the city. Would restart but stall after a few more minutes of driving...had to coast into parking lot and get towed to downtown Ford in canton Ohio to be repaired. Downtown Ford said throttle body...over $600 to repair on a vehicle with only 39000 miles.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Jul 152013

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis, who stated that the throttle body would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,036.

- Leesburg, IN, USA

Jul 232013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car lost acceleration, power, there was shaking had to pull over turn car off and continue on. Happened again on Aug 8th, 2013.

- Garden City, MI, USA

Fusion

I was traveling on the interstate at highway speed. Traffic had slowed alittle so I began to slow as well. When I pressed the accelerator nothing happened. The wrench light came on the dash. I had no control over the acceleration of the car. After almost being taken out be a semi I was able to get the car off to the side of the interstate. The car was idling very rough. I shut the car off and waited a few seconds. I restarted the car and the light was off. I was able to drive home with no more problems. Seems that Ford has a major issue. I thing they should be made to recall these cars before someone gets killed.

- Charlestown, IN, USA

Aug 032013

Fusion

I was traveling North on I-75 at about 65-70 mph, when all of a sudden I lose power, as though the car's not getting any gas. Nothing happened when I tried to continue accelerating. I coasted it off the interstate, I was in the far right hand lane, so I was able to do this rather easily. When the car stopped, it began shuddering and shaking, idling very rough. The little wrench light came on. When I got my wits back as I was in a panic being 156 miles away from home, and still 800 miles away from my destination, I tried to continue driving because I couldn't tell where I was at. The car crept along extremely slow, but I was able to get close enough to read the sign, I was half a mile from the altoona rd emerson exit 283. I turned the car off to call someone. After a few minutes of multiple dropped calls, I tried to start the car, and it did. I was able to drive it to the exit and as I was approaching the stop sign at the end of the off ramp, it stalled. I tried again and was able to get it into love's truck stop. I ended up having it towed 156 miles back home. It's sitting in my yard, I haven't done anything yet with it, I'm too disgusted as I just bought it a month ago, and have been reading numerous incidents just like mine. And where Ford doesn't seem to care enough about the people buying their product. I'm paying a lot of money for a car that I no longer trust. My husband took it to one of those auto stores no code could be read. I can say with certainty that had I been further up in one of the bigger cities in heavier traffic and out in the center lanes, it would not have been good. It seems to me, that it's a no brainer, a recall verses a criminal negligent suit. Because it's only a matter of time..

- Seale, AL, USA

Aug 072013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway at about 70 mph. The car suddenly shut down and started coasting. Pressing the gas pedal did nothing. The throttle control/transmission warning light came on. I coasted off of the highway and turned off my car. I turned the car back on, warning light was gone, car drove fine the rest of the way to my destination. Next morning the exact same thing happened. Stopped at an auto repair shop. They could not diagnose the problem. Got back on the highway and made it to my destination without incident.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA