Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 24 of 38)

Jul 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car engine unexpectedly jerked and rpms locked at 1000 no matter what was done with gas pedal. Did not recover until turned off and then on. Repeated over the next several days. Also engine would stall when trying to idle. Resolution was replacement of faulty throttle body assembly.

- Point Pleasant, NJ, USA

Jun 292012

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving in heavy traffic the car lost power going up a hill, as if the gas pedal had been disconnected. Luckily I was able to avoid being hit and pulled out of the way. After a few minutes the car did start again but the shifting is strange and it dies a lot. I called Ford dealership and they stated it was probably the throttle body as they had been replacing them left and right. This would not be covered by any warranty and would cost around $500. I then had a private mechanic look at it. He drove it around and the car died on him 3 times in this one trip. So after checking...he confirmed it is the throttle body but the part is on a national back order and would take up to 6 weeks. The manager of the service department at the Ford dealership is very aware of the problem with the Fusion and advised me to contact Ford corporate. I did and their response to the problem was "we apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.we highly recommend that your vehicle be inspected by your servicing Ford dealership to determine the cause of any symptoms your vehicle may be experiencing. They have factory trained technicians, comprehensive service information and specialized equipment to help diagnose your vehicle." Right, more money for them. Someone needs to do something about this before someone gets hurt in an accident. Ford needs to stand behind their product. It's obvious by the national back order that there is a problem somewhere.

- Clarksville, AR, USA

Jul 112013

Fusion 4-cyl Diesel

Lost power while driving on freeway. Engine would only idle, very rough. Wrench symbol lit. Shut car off, opened/closed door and car was ok until next incident. Failure occurred several more times while driving home on freeway and at slower speed. Diagnostic at the dealer was a throttle body failure.

- Keego Harbor, MI, USA

Feb 132013

Fusion 6-cyl

Loss of power at highway speed. Vehicle decelerated and would only idle. Wrench symbol lit. Shut car off restarted and car was ok until next incident. Failures became more frequent including failures in rush hour highway traffic. Additional failures occurred at slower speed. Diagnostic at the dealer was a throttle body failure.

- Belleville, MI, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the vehicle lost power and stalled. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was determined that the throttle body needed to be replaced however, the part needed to correct the failure was on back order. The failure and the current mileages were 77,063.

- Union City, GA, USA

Jun 292013

While I was up to speed (65 mph), the car's wrench light came on, and lost power. All of the electrical systems were still functioning, but the car would not accelerate. I waited a few minutes, tried the car again, and it made it to my destination, and went trouble-free on the return trip home. The car had the same occurrence on Monday, July 8. at that time, I called roadside assistance who came and towed the car to the dealer that services my car. I was told that the throttle body had to be replaced. Estimated repair cost: $387.

- Erlanger, KY, USA

Jun 272013

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the check engine light on two separate occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where it was stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000.

- Fort Mitchelle, KY, USA

Jul 102013

Driving along on a local road (35 mph) the car suddenly lost most of it's power and started shaking. I was able to coast to a gas station and get a tow to my dealership...they tell me it's the throttle control and will cost about $500. Going online to find out more information about this I see there are several thousand complaints about the same issue in this model. The severity of this type of breakdown (some people were on the highway) and with no warning whatsoever makes this a very important issue to be dealt with. I was lucky, but am still out $500.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Jul 102013

Driving car approx. 50 to 60 miles an hour, engine just stops, no accelerator pedal pressure. Wrench light comes on(Ford owners manual shows it to be throttle body/drive-train). This has happened several times previous to yesterday's occurrence. We brought the car from drivetime and took it to their mechanic and he said he could not find a stored code, was I do not believe to be true. After searching online concerning some incident, we noticed that owners of the same model car have had the same problem. Very dangerous while traveling and the car just quits. Apparently Ford knows about because a car a local dealer and the parts department has parts on back order. Yesterday, 7/10 the check engine light came on and the code was P2112(throttle body stuck closed). Something needs to be done about this problem. Thanks for your time.

- Austin, TX, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

During morning rush hour traffic, my 2010 Ford Fusion began to lose acceleration and shake violently while I was traveling at approximately 65 miles per hour. Fortunately, I was already in the far right travel lane so I could put on my flashers and pull off the road. I cut the engine and waited for a few minutes. I restarted the car and was able to get to my workplace. Based upon my preliminary research, this appears to be a widespread problem that has serious safety implications. I strongly encourage investigation and study of this issue with Ford to institute a recall to resolve such issues.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

May 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving along and vehicle goes into limp mode. Cannot accelerate. Pull over turn off car and restart. Car starts up and runs fine until it happens again which has happened several times now and more frequent. Can't afford to pay dealer so I have to but the part and install it myself. No codes show up just a wrench. Talked to the dealer and they are very familiar with the problem and told me what to replace but if I take it to them they will charge a fee for the diagnostic even though they know what the problem is, then they charge another fee for replacing the part.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jun 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on a city street and the car lost power. The wrench light came on. I glided to a parking lot and turned the car off. I waited a minute and started the car and it seemed fine. I drove it a week and the exact same thing happened. We brought it to a Ford dealer who had no idea what the problem was. The diagnostics showed no recordings. They performed some maintenance and now I see on my bill a statement that says "may need throttle body if concern happens again" it happened again on the 4th of July 2013, on the expressway going 70 mph. The car stopped accelerating, the wrench light came on, we were able to move over two lanes and get on the shoulder. The car bucked and coughed a few times and we turned it off. We were able to start again and go home, all of us visibly shaken and now very angry at the dealer.

- Homer Glen, IL, USA

Jun 152013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion sel. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, there was a reduction in engine power with the illumination of the power steering warning indicator. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. The vehicle restarted and resumed normally. The failure recurred numerous times. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Glen Carbon, IL, USA

May 152012

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the throttle failed with the illumination of the maintenance light. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Mcarthur, OH, USA

Jul 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was driving the car the engine lost power and the check engine light and wrench light came on this happened at least 10 times in a 24 mile drive (to and from work) auto zone says it is the throttle body sticking. I went to and my car is not the only 2010 Fusion experiencing this issue I feel Ford needs to recall these vehicles and fix the throttle body before someone gets killed.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jul 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving my 2010 Ford Fusion at around 25 mph, the vehicle stalled while in motion and I could not accelerate. The wrench warning light also came on. Luckily, I managed to get my vehicle safely to the side of the road, and when I placed it in park, the car started to shudder. I turned the car off, and when I re-started it, the warning light was gone and the car was operating normally. I am very lucky that the stall did not occur on the highway at a faster speed. A co-worker of mine also has a 2010 Ford Fusion and had this same issue a few months ago.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Jul 022013

I was stopped at a light when trying to accelerate through the intersection the car acted like it was getting no gas. It was a rainy day and I assumed the undercarriage had gotten it wet. I stuttered through the intersection and was able to pull the car over and stop the car. After sitting for 5 minutes I was able to restart the car and get off the road into a parking lot. I then let it sit for an hour and was able to make it home the 10 miles without incident. I drove the car for 2 more days without incident, then on 7-5-2013 during a 30 mile trip it did the same thing. Stopped at a light and suddenly the car acted like it could get no gas. We parked it for an hour and made it home. The following day when trying to take it to the dealer, car would speed up and slow down on a sidestreet! was a scary 2 mile drive to the dealership. After 9 hours they figured out it was the "throttle arm". after the diagnosis I find that this is a common issue with my 3 year old car. I bought the car new, and having to spend $427 to get this fixed is ridiculous. There should be a recall on this part.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Jun 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

We lost all acceleration while pulling out of the store parking lot. We turned off the car, started it up again and it did the same thing while turning left into our neighborhood. Luckily no traffic behind or oncoming while making these left turns. We got it to the dealer and they said it was the throttle body, not under warranty, not on recall, advised against driving our car, did not have a car for us to drive, would not pay for a rental, and the part was on nationwide back order for a month! we called Ford customer service told them our situation (my wife is six months pregnant without a vehicle for a month). They agreed to pay for a rental car and put us on an expedited list. However, we have yet to hear when that part is coming in.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Jul 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving at 45mph lost throttle control. Gas pedal had no response. Was able to coast to side of highway. The "wrench light" came on the instrument panel. I restarted the vehicle and the throttle was responsive, dove approx 1/4 mile and the same situation occurred; however, this time the check engine and wrench lights were illuminated. Turned vehicle off and on and warning lights reset and I had throttle control. Drove approx 1000 feet and lost throttle control again; however, this time I was making a turn through an intersection. I was able to coast through the intersection and off the highway onto the shoulder of the road. The check engine and throttle control/transmission(wrench) lights were illuminated. At this point I had the vehicle towed to the dealer.

- Berlin, NJ, USA

Jul 072013

Fusion 4-cyl

Engine wrench light comes on, car will not maintain speed, engine drops to rough idle, accelerator is unresponsive. Car must be stopped, with trans mission in park, turned off and restarted. It has done this 9 times in the last day and a half... once while turning across traffic. This puts my life and passenger's lives at jeopardy.

- St Charles, MO, USA