CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion engine problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 10 of 13)

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, there was a sudden loss of power as the wrench light illuminated. The contact stated that on another occasion while driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 80,000.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jun 252013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving on a busy road in rush hour traffic going about 40-45 miles per hour my car engine was still running but would not accelerate. I looked down at the dash and the wrench light was on. I managed to coast out of the traffic and get to a safe spot. I tried to call dealer but they were not open yet. I sat with car still running for a few minutes to see if it would shift into gear but nothing happened. Engine still running but when gas pedal was pushed nothing happened. I feel this is a safety issue because the car just slows down with no warning and could have caused an accident. Not sure what I should do at this time so, I shut the car off and restarted it. It seemed to be working, so I started back on the road only to have it happen again. I turned the car off and back on again and it managed to get me to work. I have not gone to the dealer as of yet but it appears that the Fusion are having a throttle body issue. If I go to the dealer and the car is not acting up, I will be paying for them to tell me they can't find anything wrong. According to the complaints this is a major safety issue.

- Oxford, MI, USA

Jun 242013

Fusion 6-cyl

I traded in my Mercedes for a 2011 Ford Fusion with FFV to buy american. Everything was fine until up to the point that the car stalled & surges at 60 mph on the freeway. I limped into the freeway shoulder and stopped the car. My family has never been in this very dangerous situation before. I was very disappointed that a car with 30,000 miles will have this kind of a problem. I think Ford still has a problem with reliability. I'm going back to german cars.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving down the road and all of the sudden I loose acceleration power and a wrench symbol appeared on the dashboard. I was able to pull off the road. I had to turn off and restart the car to get going again. This has also happened two other times since with the same scenario. Local dealer diagnosed as a defective throttle body.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 202013

Fusion 4-cyl

At approximately 30 mph the car suddenly lost all throttle response, the car was driven to the side of the road and ignition turned off. The car immediately restarted and was driven approximately 20 miles. On the way to a Ford dealer while in the middle of a U-turn the throttle response was again lost, the ignition was turned off and the car again started normally......Ford diagnosed the problem as a faulty throttle body which they did not have and had to be ordered.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Jun 212013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving the vehicle on a four lane highway at a speed of 55 mph. The wrench (mechanical) warning light illuminated and the engine rpms dropped. I steered the vehicle to the shoulder of the road. The vehicle would not accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. I parked the vehicle and turned the engine off. I restarted the car and the wrench warning light no longer illuminated. The vehicle accelerated when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The engine rpms increased and decreased while the vehicle was at idle. I have dropped off the vehicle to the Ford dealership to get the problem diagnosed. I had another issue on or about 16 May 2013. I was driving the vehicle on a four lane road in heavy traffic at a speed of 45 mph. I was accelerating the vehicle up hill. The rpms on the engine surged and the vehicle accelerated to about 65 mph. The vehicle speed continued to increase. I quickly removed my foot from the accelerator. The rpms did not decrease when I removed my foot from the accelerator. I had to brake with my left foot and tap on the accelerator pedal with my right foot in order to get the accelerator unstuck. I almost rear ended the vehicle in front of my vehicle and was lucky I was able to get the accelerator unstuck before I reached a red light and would not been able to stop the vehicle. I did not take the vehicle to the dealership, because the vehicle seemed to drive fine without further instances until today.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

May 052013

Fusion

Twice within the same week while driving, the engine throttle suddenly disengaged. The first time I was making a left hand turn with oncoming traffic. Second time was driving on surface street which forced me to pull off the side of the road. Extremely dangerous!

- Brook Park, OH, USA

Jun 142013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway at 65mph during heavy afternoon traffic when my car all of a sudden died and I had to quickly veer off to the service lane dodging honking, angry drivers nearly almost getting hit by one. Luckily an accident was diverted by smart driving by me. After coasting to a stop, I turned the car off and turned it back on. Thinking it was a minor hiccup, I drove back onto the road. After 10 miles the incident happened again and nearly another brush with death/accident, I got off the freeway and drove slowly all the way home which it died 2 more times.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 012012

Fusion

My car will randomly stall out. The engine will shut off while driving and come to a rough stop. When this happens a wrench comes up on the dashboard. Now when this started happening the events were few and far between. Recently its gotten so bad that I was on the interstate and this happened to me 9 times in under a mile. When I take it to get the readout the computer says code P2112.

- Chester, VA, USA

May 092013

Fusion

My wife in busy traffic at rush hour felt her car begin to shake badly, then lose power, she coasted to the side of the road nearly being hit by passing traffic. At the time the wrench light came on, we brought the vehicle to Ford on May 10th, picked it up on June 10th, on June 11th the same problem... this car is again at Ford dealership with what is being called a throttle body issue. We were scheduled to travel over 900 miles each way at the end of this month and have chosen an alternative. We're not even sure that we'll have our vehicle back. This is a very scary situation, in researching I'm finding many complaints for this same issue and it doesn't appear close to having a solution.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Apr 152013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated the vehicle stalled without warning and the wrench light illuminated on the instrument panel when the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who determined there could be a problem with the throttle body. The throttle body was cleaned and the failure occurred within two weeks. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, but the vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown. The current mileage was 15,797.

- Arnold , MO, USA

Mar 252013

Fusion

I purchased a 2011 Ford Fusion on 2/28/13 with just 24,320 miles. Approximately 1 month later I was having trouble starting my vehicle due to continual stalling. Initially, the vehicle will start (cold engine) in the morning without any problem. The problem occurs primarily when the engine is warm and almost daily. If I leave work at lunchtime to run an errand (4 hours later) the vehicle will stall numerous times and is followed with idling very high RPM?S (2,000). There is also a very strong smell of gasoline present. I took the vehicle back to the dealership to fix the problem. The dealership claimed they found nothing wrong. The problem continued and I again went back to the dealership for further inspection. The dealership kept my vehicle for 1 week and acknowledged the stalling problem and claimed that this is most likely due to the change over from winter gas to summer gas. On 6/15/13 I could not get the vehicle to start with the smell of gas present once again. After 2 hours of sitting in the garage I tried once again and the vehicle started up. I was so excited when I bought this vehicle and now I am much stressed, frustrated and wanting a new operable vehicle.

- Vandalia, OH, USA

Fusion 6-cyl

Traveling on Pennsylvania 476 South (toll road). Construction currently in area I was traveling so 2 lanes of traffic with no shoulder. Emergency pull off ramps located approximately every 2-3 miles along construction. Traveling during rush hour in am, pressed accelerator and received no response. Wrench light and check engine light appeared however car continued to run just with no power (later learned that this is what Ford calls "limp mode"). had just passed and emergency pull-off when this happened so had to drive at very low speed (approximately 10 miles per hour) to get to next emergency pull off 2 miles ahead. Very, very unsafe as I was blocking traffic on a major highway with no shoulder (jersey barriers on both sides of 2-lane highway). Managed to "limp" to emergency pull off without being hit from behind. Vehicle towed to Ford dealer and was diagnosed with needing a throttle body (known Ford problem for 2011 Ford Fusion vehicles)....if Ford is aware of this issue, why no recall? I was lucky as this incident happened in the worst possible area yet I was not hit from behind or injured.

- Macungie, PA, USA

Jun 052013

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving on highway, left lane at 72 mph, car made a clunking noise and shuddered, instantly lost ability to accelerate engine, tach dropped to 720 RPM, transmission acted as if it was in neutral. Pulled off highway to shoulder. Engine continued to run, but no response from accelerator.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Oct 152012

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that whenever traveling over 40 mph, the wrench warning icon illuminated and the vehicle would loose power. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal would also become heavy and resistant when the failure occurred. The vehicle had not been to the dealer for inspection of the failure. The failure mileage was 28,000 and the current mileage was 41,000.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Fusion 6-cyl

*** this placed my family in danger. I had the gas pedal pushed to the floor and it would not go. It died. June 11, 2013 @ 8:15 pm: Driving from eugene to springfield. Everything was normal. I took the center city exit in springfield and the throttle control/transmission indicator lit up, the car became silent and all power left. So I did a test -I put the care in it idled normal and smoothly -I put the care in the idle sounded spotty like it was skipping and then it sounded wav Y. not smooth and even like it did in ¯. -I put the care in he idle sounded spotty like it was skipping and then it sounded wav Y. not smooth and even like it did in ¯. -I put the care in the idle sounded spotty like it was skipping and then it sounded wav Y. not smooth and even like it did in ¯. -I put the care in the idle sounded spotty like it was skipping and then it sounded wav Y. not smooth and even like it did in. -started the engine just like you normally do when you get into the car. The key acted like it was stuck a little bit before it returned to the normal position. -on the way home from springfield, at red lights the car idled spotty and wavy not smooth.

Jun 112013

Fusion 6-cyl

** I was giving it gas before it just died and it seemed like the gas was not getting to the engine to make it go. It put my family is danger!! something I would never get back if I lost. June 11, 2013 @ 7:30 pm: Driving from springfield to 13the street in eugene. Everything was normal, but then when I made a right turn onto 13th street then about 1 ½ blocks later the throttle control/transmission¯ indicator lit up, the car became silent and all power left. -I put the care in park -started the engine just like you normally do when you get into the car. The key acted like it was stuck a little bit before it returned to the normal position.

May 172013

Fusion 6-cyl

Note: The Ford dealership could not find and engine code May 17, 2013 @ 2:00 pm: Pulling out of the parking lot at work for lunch.the "throttle control/transmission" indicator lit up, the car became silent and all power left. -I put the care in "P? park -started the engine and it acted normal -took it in to Ford, they said that they could not find a code related to that and instructed me that the next time it happens to drive directly to kendall for them to read the ?code? off of it. June 11, 2013 @ 7:30 pm: Driving from springfield to 13the street in eugene. Everything was normal, but then when I made a right turn onto 13th street then about 1 ½ blocks later?the ?throttle control/transmission? indicator lit up, the car became silent and all power left. -I put the care in ?P? park -started the engine just like you normally do when you get into the car. The key acted like it was stuck a little bit before it returned to the normal position. June 11, 2013 @ 8:15 pm: Driving from eugene to springfield. Everything was normal.I took the ?center city exit? in springfield and the ?throttle control/transmission? indicator lit up, the car became silent and all power left. So I did a test?.. -I put the care in ?P? ??it idled normal and smoothly -I put the care in ?R-N-D-M? ??the idle sounded spotty like it was skipping and then it sounded wavy. Not smooth and even like it did in ?P". -started the engine just like you normally do when you get into the car. The key acted like it was stuck a little bit before it returned to the normal position. -on the way home from springfield, at red lights the car idled spotty and wavy not smooth.

Nov 082012

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on the freeway, the engine stalled. A wrench symbol came on the dashboard. The car started lurching forward and was nearly hit by two other vehicles from the rear. I was able to stop. I turned off the engine and after a few tries, the car started up again. This has occurred at least another 20 times since then. I've spoken with Ford over the phone repeatedly and explained that there are numerous web sites discussing this as a throttle body problem. But Ford refuses to acknowledge the problem and have told me that they're not even sure if it would be covered under the power train warranty.

- Glendale, CA, USA

May 192013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving the highway with cruise set at 75 mph, my car suddenly lost power, and I experienced no response while stepping on the accelerator. Though this was very scary in the traffic I was in, I was eventually able to coast to the right shoulder (after upsetting many drivers around me) and came to a stop on the right shoulder. After a minute, I decided to shut off my car, and was able to restart, and drive as nothing happened. Unfortunately, I experienced the same situation the next day, only at a lower speed (55 mph), and not with as much traffic. On the 3rd day, while on my way to the dealer, it happened again. After diagnosis, Ford says I experienced a P2112 code, and almost 3 weeks later, Ford still has my car because the part (throttle body assembly) is not available; completely unacceptable.

- Wichita Falls, TX, USA