Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion engine problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 9 of 13)

May 222013

Fusion 6-cyl

Electronic throttle body failure. I was driving down a major highway and my car lost power, the wrench light laminated. After trying to get off to the side of the road I shut the car off and waited a min then restarted the car. Then I proceeded on my journey. I took the car to a friend of mine who is a mechanic and had him run a diagnostic on the car and no codes show up. I have done some research on the internet to see if anyone else has had the same problem. Apparently I am not the only person with this defective part. Looks like Ford would grow a set of balls and make this a mandatory recall. It does cause a safety issue when you lose the ability to move your automobile about. You can not go any wear no matter how hard you press on the gas pedal. The dam car does not move. I guess it will take some one getting injured very badly or killed, and Ford getting a law suite before any sort of recall will be done. If anything should happen to me I will be the first in line to file a law suite because Ford is well aware of the problem but they chose to do nothing about it thus putting millions of peoples lives at stake.

- Salemburg, NC, USA

Jul 152013

Fusion 6-cyl

Engine cut-off going at 5 mph. According to aamco code P2112 appeared on their reader. This code has to do with the throttle actuator control system. Took car to local Ford dealer and was told that the part, throttle body and motor asy., are on national back order. It took at two days or two weeks to receive the part. This is not acceptable; Ford and their dealers should have this part available immediately. Does someone need to have a serious or deadly accident before action is taken?

- Union, NJ, USA

Jul 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

While vehicle was traveling at slow speed, two minutes after starting to drive, the vehicle suddenly loss power and went to limp mode with wrench light on the dash board. It happened twice in two weeks. Vehicle was taken to nearest Ford dealership for check-up but could not duplicate the problem. No action taken.

- Coronado, CA, USA

Jun 292013

Fusion 6-cyl

Engine stalled while driving 30mph flat city surface. No response with accelerator. Pulled over. Re-started engine. Car ran ok for @ 2 miles; stalled again with 'wrench" & "engine" indicator lights illuminated. Pulled over. Re-start again; same scenario 3 more times; finally got "home" (it was midnight Saturday night; using secondary roads only!). "P2111" failure code confirmed Sunday @ "auto zone".

- Middletown, NY, USA

Jul 082013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the malfunction indicator light illuminated and the vehicle entered safe mode. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Bowling Brook, IL, USA

Jul 022013

Fusion 6-cyl

I have a 2011 Ford Fusion 3.0 L V6. I was driving down the highway with my 4 yr old, when the engine lost all acceleration power and an orange wrench light illuminated my dashboard. I was in the fast lane and had to cross 3 lanes of traffic in a disabled car to get to the shoulder! I would hit the gas pedal with no response and it was not shifting right at all. I cut the ignition and let it sit for a couple min while I looked through the manual to see what the wrench light was all about. When I turned it back on the light was still there and again, not shifting right. I let it sit for another 10 min and started it again. The wrench light was gone so I drove home. Took it to the dealership and they said something about a sensor and the computer needed was under warranty so I didn't really pay too much attention, but when I went online to see if it's happened to others..I was unpleasantly surprised to see that there are hundreds of other complaints on the same exact issue! as another commenter recommended, I called the Ford consumer's hotline at 800-392-3673 to see if there's anything being done. The rep told me there's no recalls and all she can do is document it and to call her back if I need anything else...really" a car with no power on the highway is obviously a safety concern and with this many complaints I'm really surprised Ford and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration hasn't recalled this faulty part.does someone need to get hurt or worse, killed first"

- Middletown, MD, USA

May 102013

Fusion 6-cyl

Experienced a sudden loss of power while traveling at highway speed (55 mph). Was able to pull over to shoulder, and shifted transmission to park. Stepped on gas pedal, but no response by car. Turned car off, waited 10-15 seconds, and then re-started car, with the re-start taking 3 to 5 seconds longer than normal on engine turn over. Drove home without further incident. Happened again the next day, and took the car into dealer. Replaced evaporative purge valve, ($342 charge, car is only 2 years old, but out of warranty on mileage) on 6/14/2013. On 7/7/2013 and again on 7/8, car again experienced the same sudden loss of power. Drove car to dealer and they diagnosed the problem as electronic throttle body ($318 repair).

- Collingswood, NJ, USA

Jul 032013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving my 2011 Ford Fusion S with a V4 engine on 07/03/2013 at approximately 19:15 in the evening. I was traveling on a slight incline on a two-lane road at a speed of approximately 50 M.P.H. when all of the sudden the car stalled and would not longer accelerate. I pulled off the road and the car began to shake and the transmission slipped while shifting down. I turned off the car and then turned it on again. I drove to my destination 2 hours away without further incident. I drove the car a second time and the incident did not recur. The third time I drove the car after the first incident, the problem occurred again, which was on 07/05/2013 at approximately 17:00. It occurred in the middle of an interstate and I had to pull to the side of the road by cutting across traffic without the ability to accelerate!!! I took the car to a Ford dealer and they diagnosed the problem as a faulty throttle control. I had to pay for the repair out of pocket because the warranty expired at 36,000 miles (my car has 38000 miles). This is a serious public safety concern. I have read that 2010 Ford Fusion also have a history of the same problem at about 2-3 years after purchase. I am grateful to have avoided a crash, but one could easily find themselves in a situation where they cannot accelerate because of this problem and end up seriously injured or dead because of a crash that it could cause. The car suddenly stops accelerating and this happens apparently at random, usually within 10-15 minutes of turning the car on.

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

Jun 272013

While accelerating on the highway at approximate. 65 mph on 27jun13, at 1745, the 2011 Ford Fusion sel lost all acceleration. We pulled over to the right hand shoulder, put the vehicle in park, and turned it off. We waited a moment, restarted then engine, and proceeded to merge with traffic. Less than two miles later, the same thing happened. We pulled over again, turned off engine and waited a moment. We restarted it and drove it home. Friday 5 jul13 the car went to kolwaski Ford in avon lake oh. The reprogrammed the PCM for the rough shift of the transmission. We picked up the car, and less than 4 miles from the deals hip we had the repairs done, we experienced the same issue of lost acceleration. We called the dealership's service department, and advised the same engine failure occurred. While driving back to the dealerships, the engine once again lost power at an intersection. The car is currently at the service center of kolwaski Ford in avon lake oh.

- Sheffield Lake, OH, USA

Jul 042013

Fusion 6-cyl

The vehicle started to lose power while I was driving 45mph on a major roadway. I hit the accelerator to try and make it go, but the car continued to stall. Luckily I was able to avoid getting hit head on or rear ended. I let the car sit for and hour before I started it. I made it about 5 miles before it lost all power and stalled again. I was almost rear ended again. The only way Ford will fix it is if it registers a fault code which it is not doing. It just loses the ability to accelerate and stalls within a minute or less. They told me I just have to drive it. It is not safe to drive until they fix the problem.

- Bargersville, IN, USA

Jun 262013

Fusion 4-cyl

My wife was driving vehicle at about 65 mph in morning rush hour traffic. While traveling yellow wrench light came on and vehicle slowed down while traveling in the far left lane (fast lane). Had to safely get the car to side of the road as it coasted while traffic still maintained their normal speed. After removing key and letting vehicle sit for a couple minutes, put key back in ignition and started the vehicle back up. Proceeded with no issues. Called dealership and made an appointment for 7/1/2013. Was told that there were no codes and could not get vehicle to perform our stated issue. Was told it may be the throttle body and that they would order one (we are looking at the minimum a two week wait). And that they would not guarantee that this would fix the problem because there were no codes for them to go off of. It should be noted that our extended service contract does not cover this and that we would be looking at around a $400 repair. If we would of had preferred service plan that it would of been covered (imagine that!). so today my wife calls me again to tell me she is on the side of the highway because the issue happened again! and on top of this issue she now had a flat tire probably due to having to coast the vehicle to the side of the highway. We met up and changed vehicles. I proceeded to drive the vehicle back to work, but never made it due to the vehicle not wanting to operate and yellow wrench coming on along with check engine light. Had vehicle towed back to dealership where they offered a loaner car while we wait for part to arrive with no estimated eta" a huge safety concern that Ford seems to not care about and has a casual "we will get to it, when we get to it" mentality"!?!"

- Elyria, OH, USA

Jun 282013

Fusion 6-cyl

It was raining heavily and my son and I were entering a highway via a ramp and the vehicle lost all acceleration and throttle response. I moved the car over to the side of the road. The car was idling but had not throttle response. Stuck in the rain along the side of road. Called for a tow truck to have the car towed to Ford. Diagnosed as bad throttle body. Part back ordered for days. Seems to be a common problem.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jun 272013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving down the road and the car just lost power. I would step on the gas and it would just barely move. I had to coast to a side road. I turned it off and then started it back up. It went a couple of blocks and did the same thing. Then tried it again and it would not stay running. The check engine light came on.

- Anderson, SC, USA

Jun 282013

Fusion 6-cyl

I just purchased this car on June 26 2013 with 25580 miles. I pulled out of a parking lot and with no warning an orange wrench indicator came on the instrument panel followed by a complete loss of throttle response. I was able to pull over, put the car in park and restart the car. The wrench disappeared and the car was driving well. After about two miles I entered the interstate. After several miles traveling in heavy traffic I was able to cruise at about 65 to 70 miles per hour. With no warning just as described in the first occurrence, the wrench light came on and I had no use of the throttle. I had to pull over to the side of the road and this time the car was bucking and shuddering. I was able to restart the car and continue the rest of my trip. I have to bring it to the dealer on 07/01/2013 to have it diagnosed, but it is running ok now. The only other problem I have had is a random wavering idle speed. A few times the car has hunted between 600-900 rpms while in drive sitting at a traffic light. At first I thought this just the car making adjustments but now I wonder if it is all related. I am nervous driving the car because you have to pull over, stop, restart and then proceed. I tried both times the throttle died to shift into neutral, restart and continue to no avail. I have a 2009 Ford Fusion and have no similar issues.

- Jefferson, LA, USA

Jun 252013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving and I lost power- I was unable to accelerate, car stalled causing cars behind me to swerve off road to avoid hitting my car. The dealership says it is the throttle body sensor and there is a nationwide shortage of parts.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jun 262013

Fusion 6-cyl

As I was driving down the highway between 65-70mph the gas peddle stopped working, the wrench light came on the dash board and I pulled to the side of the road. I turned the car off and restarted it but did have to pump the gas a time or 2 to get it started. Engine lights went out. This same thing happened 7 times in what should have been a 1hr 45 min trip. I pulled into a Ford dealer along the highway and they ran diagnostics for me and came up with the throttle body problem. I only had 3 episodes on the way home.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jan 092013

Fusion 6-cyl

While approaching a red light, the vehicle seemed to slip out of gear and lose power. The wrench light went on and when I went to accelerate, the vehicle would not do so. I was able to limp the car to the side of the road and turned if off. When I restarted, it ran fine. I took the vehicle to the dealer the next day and they could not find anything wrong as no codes had been tripped. I did not have another incident until June of 2013 at which time I was driving at 55 miles per hour and again, the vehicle just lost acceleration and the wrench light went on. Luckily was not in heavy traffic and able again to get to the side of the road, turn it off and restart. I took the car back to the dealer and again, no code tripped, nothing could be found. On the way home from the dealer and driving at a speed of 60 mph, again the same problem. I took the vehicle back to the dealer the next day which was June 12, 2013 and they gave me a loaner car to drive until they determined the problem.. on June 18, the dealer called me and said I had to bring the loaner back because the part they needed to repair my vehicle (the part being a throttle body) was on back order and would take a few days to come in. It is now June 26, 2013. The part is still not in, according to the mechanic at the dealership, this part is in high demand!! what should that tell anyone"??" my car to date on average loses acceleration at least 5 or 6 times a trip no matter how far I drive, it's extremely dangerous! thus, I now I have to rent a vehicle at partially my expense ( have extended warranty) it seems to me I shouldn't have to pay anything for a rental!! this is a Ford manufacturing issue, and in my opinion should be investigated for recall!!!

- Staatsburg, NY, USA

Jun 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, there was a sudden loss of power as the wrench light illuminated. The contact stated that on another occasion while driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 80,000.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jun 252013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving on a busy road in rush hour traffic going about 40-45 miles per hour my car engine was still running but would not accelerate. I looked down at the dash and the wrench light was on. I managed to coast out of the traffic and get to a safe spot. I tried to call dealer but they were not open yet. I sat with car still running for a few minutes to see if it would shift into gear but nothing happened. Engine still running but when gas pedal was pushed nothing happened. I feel this is a safety issue because the car just slows down with no warning and could have caused an accident. Not sure what I should do at this time so, I shut the car off and restarted it. It seemed to be working, so I started back on the road only to have it happen again. I turned the car off and back on again and it managed to get me to work. I have not gone to the dealer as of yet but it appears that the Fusion are having a throttle body issue. If I go to the dealer and the car is not acting up, I will be paying for them to tell me they can't find anything wrong. According to the complaints this is a major safety issue.

- Oxford, MI, USA

Jun 242013

Fusion 6-cyl

I traded in my Mercedes for a 2011 Ford Fusion with FFV to buy american. Everything was fine until up to the point that the car stalled & surges at 60 mph on the freeway. I limped into the freeway shoulder and stopped the car. My family has never been in this very dangerous situation before. I was very disappointed that a car with 30,000 miles will have this kind of a problem. I think Ford still has a problem with reliability. I'm going back to german cars.

- Houston, TX, USA