Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion fuel system problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Oct 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

My wife had my 6 month old sign in the backseat when she was pulling out from a stop sign into a 4way when the car lurched and the accelerator quit responding in the middle of the street a truck nearly T boned her on the driver side where our son was in his car seat upon diagnostics the electronic throttle body was stuck open. I've found similar issues with similar vehicles although the dealership informed me my vehicle is not currently on a recall list.

- Cherokee Village, AR, USA

Sep 252013

This has happened multiple times varying from accelerating from a stop to highway speeds of 60+ mph. 2011 Ford Fusion sel suddenly loses all power and wrench icon illuminates and no acceleration happens at all. The engine remains at idle with fluctuations from 800-1200 rpms. Had to cross multiple lanes and was almost ran into by three cars going a lot faster than me while I was listing to the emergency lane. Once car is turned off and restarted the problem will go away. After much research and the one time it showed a check engine light I ran the codes and it all was pointing to a defective throttle body. I noticed that there are a lot of complaints with this aspect on this car and just hope someone doesn't have to get killed on the road like I almost did to get a recall on this car and part.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

As with most of the above filings, throttle body quit working while traveling, causing the gas to not function. Turned on yield lights, and luckily there was a shoulder to pull onto. Replaced the throttle body at a cost of the part $171, while the dealership offered to install for $600, an installation that takes literally five minutes. It seems Ford is fully aware of this issue, and the safety hazards it causes, yet chooses to do nothing about it.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 182013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving home going 45 mph when my car stalled without warning. When I tried to give it gas, it started jumping and jerking the wrench light came on. I was able inch by inch to move my car to the adjacent turning lane, turn on my flashers and call my husband on my cell phone. He was on his way home also and pulled up behind me. He tried to give it gas too but it would not budge. He turned the ignition off and then cranked the car. The wrench light went off and the car had power - just like turning it off had reset something. We were only a couple of miles from our house, so he drove by 2011 Ford Fusion home and I followed in his truck. I then called my dealer, jim tidwell Ford on barrett parkway and told them what had happened. They suggested that I call a wrecker and have it towed to their location as driving the car might due further damage or the incident might re-occur. So, that's what I did. A service technician called me first thing this morning and I went over what had happened with him. He called me this afternoon and said my car was ready for pick up. The problem was the throttle body and motor assembly and since it was under warranty there would be no charge to me. I can't believe Ford isn't declaring a recall on this part. If I had been on the expressway, I feel certain I would have been rear ended. This problem will cause someone to get killed. I'm just lucky no one hit me. It happened so suddenly and without warning. This type of situation will make you fall out of love with your Ford product. I don't believe I will ever buy a Ford product again, even though I prefer to buy american products.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Sep 152013

On September 15, 2013 I was driving on a major surface street at approximately 35 miles per hour when the car just stopped working. Completely powerless. I saw two lights on the dashboard: The battery and the oil. There may have been more but I was more focused on safety and oncoming traffic than the lights on the dash. I decided not to take a chance of getting rear ended (injured or killed) so at the first big break in traffic I safely exited the vehicle and walked over to the sidewalk (one lane over). A local apartment resident saw the incident and grabbed a safety cone to put behind my car as a warning. Thankfully there were no accidents but there were some close calls and last minute lane changes as drivers came upon my car. I called Ford roadside assistance and they sent a tow truck to get the vehicle. It started up perfectly for the driver, but I had it towed anyway. It has been at the dealer for two days. They have been unable to duplicate the situation and have received no "codes" to indicate a problem with the vehicle. They have called Ford to ask for assistance and Ford has asked them questions regarding lights going on, my speed at the time of the incident, how far I had been driving the car before the incident, etc. This is the second time I have had a problem with my 2011 Fusion completely failing. The first time was in September 2012 when the throttle failed on the freeway. It was supposedly fixed. This time the lost of power did not feel like the throttle. It just stopped working. Had power. Didn't have power. I am extremely concerned that the dealer will find nothing wrong with the vehicle and it will be returned to me in an unsafe condition. Others have reported this and similar issues. Please get these vehicles recalled before someone loses a life.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Sep 042012

While driving in the center lane on the southbound I-5 freeway my 2011 Ford Fusion began to feel like it was driving through mud and lost acceleration. When I attempted to compensate by accelerating the car, it resisted and continued to slow significantly. Thankfully traffic was not extremely heavy at the time and I was close to a freeway exit. I pulled to the right, avoiding oncoming traffic (barely) and coasted down the off ramp. By the time I got to the off ramp (about 10 seconds) the car had gone from 65 mph to less than 5 mph. If it wasn't for the momentum of the vehicle I would not have been able to make it and would have been at a dead stop in the middle of the freeway with oncoming traffic (and semi trucks) going between 60 and 75 mph. The engine was throbbing, the car was shaking, and I had no acceleration capability at all. I had enough momentum on the off ramp downslope to turn right and stop my vehicle at the side of the road. I called a tow truck and the car was taken to a dealership for repairs. I was told the throttle was the problem and it was replaced under warranty. Had timing not been exactly right, this problem could have caused a very serious or even deadly accident for me and for other drivers on the road. I have since learned about this ongoing issue online and wish I would have known at the time that it was a problem and known how / that I could submit a concern to the NHTSA.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Sep 122013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving 35mph when the vehicle lurched a couple of times and decelerated on its own to 2mph. No matter how much I pressed on the gas or let off on the gas, the vehicle stayed at 2mph. The "wrench" icon illuminated on the dash. The engine stayed mid-way between hot and cold, but the RPM's never got above 1 & 1/2. took the car to a dealer and found out that the throttle body is going out. I was so thankful I was not driving on the interstate at 70mph (or turning into traffic) when the deceleration suddenly occurred. I was powerless.

- Benton, AR, USA

Mar 052013

Car dies while driving, surges at times, had been happening on and off. Died part way through a large intersection on 7-13-13, luckily I just avoided a collision. It would start and go a few feet, then surge and die. Called crater lake Ford in medford, or, they stated very busy that day and had not heard of the symptoms I described. Placed a call to dave's import service they said they would look at the car. Within 45 min they had diagnosed failed throttle body.

- Medford, OR, USA

Sep 122013

Fusion 6-cyl

I have been sensing a surge in engine power for several months in my 2011 Fusion. I suspected a throttle body problem and googled for information. I found all of the information on the NHTSA website about throttle body problems for this car as well as information in other forums. It was a good thing as I was prepared for what happened today. I had just left my house when the dreaded (and expected) loss of engine power with the wrench light being illuminated. I experienced the same symptoms reported by so many complaints logged for this issue: Loss of power, rough idle, just enough power to barely move the car, certainly not enough to limp anywhere, much less home, even though the engine was in "limp home" mode. I had my code scanner with me and was able to retrieve the P2111 (throttle stuck open) code before I restarted the car to restore full power. This only worked enough to get the car turned around when limp home was triggered again. I restarted again and was able to get within a block of my house when limp home triggered once more. The third time I was able to get to my house. I called the dealer and then roadside assistance to get my car towed to the local Ford dealer after verifying that they had a throttle body in stock. The car was towed there and a defective throttle body was diagnosed and replaced. This is not a case of if the failure will happen, but rather when. I was fully expecting it any day and sure enough, it happened. I was extremely fortunate as I was less than a mile from home, knew what to expect and how to deal with it, and my car was still in warranty, but only by 1,806 miles! any other situation would have resulted in me being in a very dangerous predicament with a car that was basically dead in the water. I was almost to the point of purchasing a new throttle body on my own in the interest of being proactive rather than being stranded.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Sep 102013

Vehicle stalled out during highway speeds. Took car to Ford and they said it was the throttle body and it was not covered under warranty.

- Saint Cloud, FL, USA

Sep 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

My 11 Fusion died in gear (lemp mode they call it) in the middle of an intersection where I was almost hit and stopped traffic for a good amount of time due to it being in gear and unable to move. After being towed to a dealer and being told it was my battery; I left the dealer paying for the tow, diagnostic and a battery. I went back a week later for an oil change and was told my car was in good running condition. Around the corner from the dealership is the on ramp to go home. As I was accelerating up the on ramp to highway speed it went into lemp mode again leaving me with no power entering onto the highway. Thank god the semi and other vehicles behind me were paying attention and avoided rear ending me at high speed. I was again towed around the block from to the dealer where they have informed me that it is my throttle body position sensor and is not covered under my extended warranty, or the federal emissions warranty. $600 later; I am trading this car in because it is not safe to be driving with this possibility of losing all power at a critical time. Some one needs to have them account for this error and get these cars off the road. I was close to being killed because of this and sooner or later this will cause a death.

- Saint Louis , MO, USA

Aug 282013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving at low speed, the vehicle slowed and stopped, requiring me to pull off the road. The engine remained running, but at a very low RPM - applying gas did nothing to rev the engine. After turning the vehicle off, I was able to restart it and limp it home. The next time I drove it, approximately 3 days later, it acted similarly, threatening to cut off when not applying gas. I took it to the Ford dealer for diagnosis and was immediately told this was probably a "throttle body" problem. The dealer confirmed this the next day and placed an order for the part. The part is on back order, I suppose due to the demand for correction on this part. I left the vehicle with the dealer for the 5-7 business days needed to get the part as I was not comfortable driving the vehicle without the repair. Thankfully it is still under warranty. I understand this is a $500+ part.

- Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

Feb 012013

Car began on multiple occasions acting like it was either not getting power or fuel. Taken to a Ford dealer in 04/2103 and they disregarded the symptons I was describing and said nothing was wrong (still under warranty then). By August 2013 it was having incidents of shuddering, losing power and would have to be turned off. By 09/03/2013, it was undriveable. A complaint was filed with Ford in mid August. Car was out of warranty and quoted repair was $871. Ford agreed to repair at 50% and work was completed on 09/06/2103.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Sep 042013

Driving at 35 mph lost acceleration, engine idles but when gas peddle is pushed to the floor no power. Called dealership and without hesitation I was told it was the throttle body and that it was a very common problem. Cant believe this is not a safety recall. Very dangerous and scary!!!! and of course car is no longer under warranty. I truly hope this does not happen to someone driving down a highway in heavy traffic. Ford really, really needs to consider a recall, put money on it there will be multiple incidents in the very near future. I have also heard that Ford is aware of the problem and changed the part number but are not recalling the original part.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 212013

Fusion 4-cyl

I am writing in regards to an issue with my 2011 Ford Fusion. On August 21, 2013 I was driving at 70 mph on a busy hwy when it felt as if my car had completely shut off. I had absolutely no accelerator. I found myself coasting in traffic. I managed to put on the hazards and merge to the shoulder without being hit, thankfully. Once over I shut off the car and after a minute started it back up and it was as if nothing had happened. Thinking this was some kind of fluke we continued to drive the car. It happened again 3 days later, again in very heavy traffic on a main highway at 65 mph. Again we were fortunate enough to be able to pull off without being hit. Internet research showed that this was a very common problem with this car and the dealer knew exactly what was wrong with it upon hearing our story. A defective throttle body. He said ours was the third one being dropped off that same day for the same problem. We were very disappointed to hear that there is no recall on this part considering how dangerous the situation is. There have been numerous accidents due to this defective part, yet still no recall. Even worse is that Ford isn't even covering the cost of replacing it under the engine warranty, we had to pay for it. Does someone actually have to die in one of these accidents before a recall is done??

- Crestview, FL, USA

Aug 192013

I was sitting at a drive up window and my rpms went way up and the car died and when I'm driving I have a lost of power like it tryed to die then recovered I, M being told this is the (fuel injection throttle bodies) this is be coming a big problem where it starting to die more I don't want my wife to get in to a wreck and get hurt so I'm going to replace the throttle bodie but I think this should be a recall asap, this is a very high priced part I would like a refund

- Wichita, KS, USA

Aug 302013

I was driving on my way to work, driving about 55-60 mph and all of a sudden the car jerked and the throttle went off and the wrench light came on. Everything still worked in the car but when I pressed on the gas, nothing happened. Luckily I was near a turn off and I was able to coast onto the road and pull off. I turned my car off and back on, and was able to drive to a local dealership. They knew immediately what the problem was and said they could order the part but it would be few days. In the mean time I am just supposed to pull over and turn my car off and on if it happens again. I have an hour commute to work in the morning driving in several lane interstate traffic and this could be really scary if it were to happen then. Especially with all of the semi trucks that I am traveling with at high speeds. It is also our family car so I am scared to drive with my family in the car.

- New Lexington, OH, USA

Aug 212013

While driving the car shuddered, lost power, had no gas peddle response and ran very rough. Put car in park and shut off. Turned ignition, car turned over for 10-15 seconds as if starving for fuel. Finally caught and ran for about 2 miles, then happened again. In a span of 4 miles it did this three times. A few days later it did the same thing 3 times in a matter of about 10 miles. That time was on the highway doing 65 mph.

- Fairview Heights, IL, USA

Aug 272013

Fusion 6-cyl

My 2011 Ford Fusion, which I purchased only a few months ago... lost speed while driving home from work today. I'm still shaky and upset. I was a very busy 2lane up/2lane down avenue when my vehicle lost speed! I was in the inner lane and had to decide if I wanted the delivery truck to hit me from behind or risk side swiping someone in hope of getting off the road before I slowed completed. Through the grace of god I was able to make two hard rights before my Fusion began to stop, shake, and sputter. The first hard right was into the right lane in front of another car then onto the side street. My goodness never been so scared in life except the next two time it did while still trying to make it home. This time though, I knew to stay in the left lane. I also relied on the fact that once you get to a safe place and turn the engine off and on again it starts back up!!! I'm scared of my car! and scared for my life and others that this vehicle malfunction may affect during my commutes. I'm going on the record as saying if I die in my 2011 Ford Fusion during an accident single/multi vehicle please do a forensic check on the throttle!

- Rex, GA, USA

Aug 222013

On Thursday 8/22/13, I was driving about 55 mph on the highway and I experienced what seemed like an engine stall. My 2011 Fusion would not accelerate so I pulled off the side and my car started shaking so I turned it off. I waited a bit and started it back up and kept driving. I could still feel a lag when I stepped on the gas. I had a mechanic look at the car but he could not find any issues. On Saturday 8/24/13, the same issue happened to me 3 times within a 4 hour span. I poured in some seafoam to rule out any moisture that may be in the engine. I did some research online and discovered others have had similar issues that have all been linked to a faulty throttle body. On Sunday 8/25/13, the issue happened twice during the day. Today I finally took my car to the Ford dealership and told them what I was experiencing and told them that I think it is the throttle body. The guy told me that they would not know until the computer displayed the error code. Several hours later I received a call from the dealership telling me it is a faulty throttle body and the repair would cost $650. If this is a known issue, why hasn't a recall been issued?

- Victoria, TX, USA