Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion fuel system problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Jul 032013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving on the freeway the car went an idle speed forcing me to get off of the freeway at reduced speed. Tried to restart car several times. Would only idle rough. Let it sit 1/2 hour waiting for aaa ran ok after another restart. Repeated several times since. Once I was stalled in the middle of a traffic controlled intersection. Was told I need a new throttle body and they are back ordered could take 6 weeks before one would be available because of long list of orders. This says it is a major design/manufacture fault/issue. I feel it should be recalled and replaced free if there are that many issues with this item.

- Oconomowoc, WI, USA

Jul 102013

I was traveling about 45mph when the car just shut off. Had to coast to side of the side of the road almost got rear ended. This has happened at least three more times in less than a week. The service department claims to know nothing about this problem. I'm sure the service managers are told to act dumb about this issue. I have read that other people have had this same issue. What will it take to get action, someone hurt or killed??

- Beverly Hills, FL, USA

Jul 142013

My car engine "stalled" (the engine was running, but there was no power from the engine to accelerate) while I was driving and in the process of increasing my speed up to the 55 mph speed limit after turning onto a major road. Since there was no engine power to accelerate, I had to let the car roll to the shoulder where I pulled over and restarted it. This has happened about 4 times in the last 6 monthsand I am very fearful that the car will stall while I am on a high speed, high traffic, multi-lane highway, which I use to drive to and from work every day.

- South Riding, VA, USA

Jun 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

Incident#1: traveling on freeway fast lane at around 65 mph, engine appeared to cut out for no apparent reason. Lost all power, but radio still on. Put on emergency flashers and was fortunate enough to be able to get all the way over to emergency lane. Turned off ignition, took out key, turned car back on, and everything started normally. Was able to get back home without any other problem. Incident#2: pulling away from a stop sign at around 5 mph after having driven only about a mile from home. Engine cut out again as I was accelerating. Pulled to the side of the road and turned off car, removed key from ignition, started car again and everything was fine. Fortunately, I have been alone in the car when this has happened, but I have two children under 4 whom I Transport often. It seems like only a matter of time before I'm in a more serious situation and this happens again (such as turning left into oncoming traffic with my kids in the car). Based on many complaints on this site and actual personal accounts of other Ford Fusion owners who have had the exact same problem, it seems obvious that there is a problem with the throttle body. Hopefully there will be a fix for this before someone gets seriously injured.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Feb 272012

Fusion 4-cyl

I brought my Fusion in for service on 2/28/12 (17899 miles) for the first time w/ heavy vibration in steering wheel when applying brakes. I was told they my rotors needed to be machined, & that was covered under warranty. It was not even a month later when I could feel slight vibration in my steering wheel again, & would progress until I finally had to bring in again to be serviced with several other problems w/ my car. On 11/9/12 (32,651 miles) (1.) heavy vibration, they replaced rotors. (2) my advance trac and check braking system message kept coming up, they told me it was due to low battery voltage. (3)vehicle stalls when starting, they replaced battery. (4) skipping gears & stalling, reprogrammed PCM. On 6/15/13 my car loses all power and dies in the middle of highway @ night as I was backing out of a private drive w/ my daughter & her friend in backseat, I had to put it back in gear & jiggle key to turn off, restart car, & be able to drive off all the while cars running off the road to keep from hitting me! brought my car in for service finally again 7/11/12(44158 miles) (waited 2 weeks til they could get me in to diag)with recurring problems above + power loss! (1) car sputters/gears skip/stalling/loses power, & they find a bug mass air flow(as they said) but 1st told me TB then said no & as far as losing power they have no idea! (2)vibration in steering, rotors need to be machined again! never had this much work with rotors on any vehicle. Oh and my whole steering rack assembly needs to be replaced @ 44,158 miles!!! Ford should not be making cars that you can not get at least 100,000 miles before a $2,000+ service needs to be done on car! I told Ford even if they fixed what they said is wrong with my car today, they could not give me $1,000,000 to put myself or my child in it ever again! this car is unsafe, unreliable, and should have recalls & don't trust it!

- Silsbee, TX, USA

Jul 182011

Fusion 6-cyl

Original incident occurred in June 2011. Vehicle lost all acceleration unexpectedly and was towed to dealership. Vehicle was only 6 months old and throttle body was replaced under warranty. Has subsequently happened two more times. The second time the dealership service could not recreate the problem. The third time was July 2013. Again vehicle was towed to dealership. Advised that it was again a failure of the throttle bottle. Part alone will be $400 to replace and will not be available for 10 days to 3 weeks. This will be the third throttle bottle on a car that is less than 3 years old. The failure poses a severe safety risk if occurs on high speed highway while in middle or left lanes.

- Batavia, OH, USA

Jul 022013

Fusion 6-cyl

I have a 2011 Ford Fusion 3.0 L V6. I was driving down the highway with my 4 yr old, when the engine lost all acceleration power and an orange wrench light illuminated my dashboard. I was in the fast lane and had to cross 3 lanes of traffic in a disabled car to get to the shoulder! I would hit the gas pedal with no response and it was not shifting right at all. I cut the ignition and let it sit for a couple min while I looked through the manual to see what the wrench light was all about. When I turned it back on the light was still there and again, not shifting right. I let it sit for another 10 min and started it again. The wrench light was gone so I drove home. Took it to the dealership and they said something about a sensor and the computer needed was under warranty so I didn't really pay too much attention, but when I went online to see if it's happened to others..I was unpleasantly surprised to see that there are hundreds of other complaints on the same exact issue! as another commenter recommended, I called the Ford consumer's hotline at 800-392-3673 to see if there's anything being done. The rep told me there's no recalls and all she can do is document it and to call her back if I need anything else...really" a car with no power on the highway is obviously a safety concern and with this many complaints I'm really surprised Ford and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration hasn't recalled this faulty part.does someone need to get hurt or worse, killed first"

- Middletown, MD, USA

May 102013

Fusion 6-cyl

Experienced a sudden loss of power while traveling at highway speed (55 mph). Was able to pull over to shoulder, and shifted transmission to park. Stepped on gas pedal, but no response by car. Turned car off, waited 10-15 seconds, and then re-started car, with the re-start taking 3 to 5 seconds longer than normal on engine turn over. Drove home without further incident. Happened again the next day, and took the car into dealer. Replaced evaporative purge valve, ($342 charge, car is only 2 years old, but out of warranty on mileage) on 6/14/2013. On 7/7/2013 and again on 7/8, car again experienced the same sudden loss of power. Drove car to dealer and they diagnosed the problem as electronic throttle body ($318 repair).

- Collingswood, NJ, USA

Jun 282013

Fusion 6-cyl

It was raining heavily and my son and I were entering a highway via a ramp and the vehicle lost all acceleration and throttle response. I moved the car over to the side of the road. The car was idling but had not throttle response. Stuck in the rain along the side of road. Called for a tow truck to have the car towed to Ford. Diagnosed as bad throttle body. Part back ordered for days. Seems to be a common problem.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jun 212013

Fusion 6-cyl

2011 Fusion w/ 3.0 liter 6cyl. While traveling at approximately 50 mph the engine suddenly bogged down. I pressed the gas pedal and nothing happened. I was able to pull over to the side and the engine was still running. A wrench light came on. I put the car in park and tried the gas pedal again with no response. I turned the engine off, waited a few seconds, then turned it back on. I was able to drive home, then to the Ford dealership with no incident. I was told that the problem was the throttle body which is on national back order. Ford would not cover the repair even though car was just over the warranty mileage limit. I found out that the NHTSA started an investigation on this issue in February 2013 and Ford is aware of the multiple complaints of this same problem. I was lucky no truck was behind me since my car slowed quickly and suddenly with no warning. The internet is filled with complaints of this same issue. Please do something before someone is killed!

- Schererville, IN, USA

Jun 122013

Fusion 6-cyl

Was driving 65 when the wrench light came on and the gas pedal went dead. Got pulled over and car was idling very rough. Turned off for 2 minutes and after a hard start the car ran normal again. Then it happened again that evening as I was just pulling out my driveway. I was totally unaware of this problem until I read about all the complaints on this web site. I took it to my dealership and guess what, bad throttle body!!!! my dealership is pretty good and they fixed me up in a rental loaner car while they waited for 5 days to get the new part. I've had my Fusion back for 10 days now and its been good and actually feels a little more responsive. A friend of mine suggested a call Ford's consumer's hotline 800-392-3673 which I called a week ago and Ford gave me a case number. I told the rep I thought Ford should at least give me some credit for the repair with the throttle body history and they should step up and do a recall on this before someone gets killed. Ford said they would call me in 4 business days. That was a week ago, didn't hear a word so I called them again today about my case. They said they checked with the dealership and that the dealership had already given me a discount by only charging me $500 on a $900 repair. Amazing I was quoted $500 for the repair the day I brought it in. I told her that my last 4 vehicle purchases were new Ford and I'm seeing an end coming to our relationship if they failed to act on this throttle body thing. My impression is that Ford is in complete denial and if they don't think this is a safety issue I suggest that they should experience it on the interstate in the center lane during rush hour traffic.

- Sun Prairie, WI, USA

Jun 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

2300 RPM, transmission lurches, no throttle response. I have to pull over and cut the ignition off to reset the sensor. Happened multiple times and finally the check engine light glowed. I went to the Ford dealership they said the throttle sensor was bad. I pay them to replace the whole throttle body, which I read online is constantly recurring. Not covered in warranty and the number of times this has happened, Ford should be responsible for a faulty part. Not me.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jun 252013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving and I lost power- I was unable to accelerate, car stalled causing cars behind me to swerve off road to avoid hitting my car. The dealership says it is the throttle body sensor and there is a nationwide shortage of parts.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jun 262013

Fusion 6-cyl

As I was driving down the highway between 65-70mph the gas peddle stopped working, the wrench light came on the dash board and I pulled to the side of the road. I turned the car off and restarted it but did have to pump the gas a time or 2 to get it started. Engine lights went out. This same thing happened 7 times in what should have been a 1hr 45 min trip. I pulled into a Ford dealer along the highway and they ran diagnostics for me and came up with the throttle body problem. I only had 3 episodes on the way home.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jun 202013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was accelerating from stop light. Attempting to reach 55 mph only got to about 45-50 mph..I then lost throttle response(no acceleration). Wrench light was on. Coasted to the side of highway, the engine idled a little rough. Very low RPM. Put the car in park and tried to rev the engine. No response, only idle, low RPM.then I turned the engine off, waited about a minute and restarted it. No more wrench light icon. No problems the rest of the day. I took the car into the dealer to test for codes, no codes were found. Was told to bring the car in when wrench icon is on to test for code. I only have this one car so I'm driving it every day, but I won't drive over 40 mph until the throttle is replaced.

- Greenfield, WI, USA

Jun 172013

The wrench icon popped up and the vehicle stalled while going down the highway out of town. Turned the car off and it acted like it didn't want to crank back up. Tried again and drove 2 miles down the road and it stalled out again. Put in park, put in drive and all it did was roll backwards. Cut it off and sat awhile and drove less than a mile down the road to a safe place to have it towed in.

- Dillon, SC, USA

Jun 212013

I was on my way to work Friday, 6/21/13, traveling at 65mph and lost all power/acceleration in center lane on freeway. Unfortunately, I had to cross two lanes of heavy traffic to get to the right shoulder, while losing power. An amber wrench light was on along with the engine light. I put car in neutral, and put pressure on the gas pedal - no RPM's, no power - at this moment the engine begins to sputter and shake and I cannot keep the car running. I turned the car off and waited a few minutes. I started the car again, no dash indicator lights, and the engine acted normal when I put pressure on the gas pedal. Gas delivery and RPM's seemed appropriate. I entered freeway again and approximately 1.5 miles later, the same thing happened again. Amber wrench on and no power. Again, the engine is running very rough and then stalls. I am near my dealership, so it takes two more attempts, before I make it there. Now, it gets better. I am informed that it is my throttle body and there are 2000 parts on backorder from Michigan. It could be one week, maybe Wednesday, 6/26/13, and I would be on a waiting list with 8 other people. What!!!!! went back the next morning, Saturday, 6/22/13, and was given an update. It is possible that it could be up to two weeks for repair at over $500. I quickly research this issue, and find many owners of all different Ford models are having the same issue. Some are lucky enough to be under warranty. This seems to be a defective part and as a loyal consumer to Ford - the company needs to do right by its customers. I believe this is a safety issue for some owners, because a lot of us are traveling freeways and a loss of power in our vehicles can put us in a dangerous situation.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Jun 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving down the road and all of the sudden I loose acceleration power and a wrench symbol appeared on the dashboard. I was able to pull off the road. I had to turn off and restart the car to get going again. This has also happened two other times since with the same scenario. Local dealer diagnosed as a defective throttle body.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 172013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving in the high-speed lane on rt. 3N in Plymouth, MA when all of a sudden I had no power coming from the gas pedal. Luckily the traffic was not heavy at the time and there was enough momentum for me to be able to steer the car to the breakdown lane. As I was coasting to the roadside the wrench symbol light came on the dashboard. My passenger and I were able to come away from this dangerous incident shaken but unscathed. After the car was towed to the Ford dealer it was determined that the problem was a faulty electrical throttle body in a two year old car with less than 30,000 miles. After five days I am still waiting for the car to be fixed, because the part is backordered. By looking on the internet I now know why the part is backordered. If so many Ford are having a throttle body problem, why hasn't there been a recall issued for this part?

- Melrose, MA, USA

Apr 052013

Fusion 6-cyl

First incident 4/5/13: While traveling approximately 70 mph southbound on interstate 5 near stadium way my 2011 Ford Fusion without warning lost power and would not respond to any change in throttle position via the accelerator pedal. However, I was able to coast to the far right-hand lane and continue uphill on the transition lane to the southbound 110 freeway as the engine continued to sputter near idle. A chp (California highway patrol) officer escorted me off the freeway. After approximately 10 minutes I attempted to start my vehicle and it ran fine. I purchased a obd II scanner and checked for any stored codes, no codes were found. I continued to monitor my vehicle via the obd II scan tool and no codes were recorded. Second incident 6/13/13: While traveling approximately 65 mph eastbound in the number 1 lane on interstate 10 my 2011 Ford Fusion once again vehicle lost power without warning and would not respond to any change in throttle position via the accelerator pedal. In my attempt to move to the right shoulder I was nearly involved in an accident. After exiting the freeway I plugged in the obd II scan tool and it captured diagnostic trouble code (dtc) P2111 throttle actuator control system żż stuck open. My vehicle would only idle very roughly. I attempted to drive home in this mode. However, after approximately 4 miles the engine stopped completely and I required a tow to my residence. While waiting on the tow vehicle I researched and found out Ford has issued technical service bulletin (tsb) 09-23-5 addressing this defect for vehicles manufactured after October 15, 2009. This defect will unfortunately result in the loss of life if these vehicles are not recalled.

- Carson, CA, USA