Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 12 of 28)

Feb 142015

Fusion 4-cyl

I got an error on my dash while driving to check power steering, I immediately contacted my authorized Ford dealer to take it in and have it checked out. It was 9:30 or so 2-14-2015, they informed me to bring it in at 10:30 am to be checked, and this was the very first time to receive the error, unfortunately I could not make to the dealer because the steering went completely out before even getting it there. It is however at the dealer for repairs but at my own expense due to my car not being on the said recall list and needs a steering gear replacement. I feel that it does need to be on the recall list due to the fact that I am having the exact same issue as the pending recall, luckily me and my children were not on the interstate and the steering go completely and crash, for needs to be held accountable and I feel they should pay for the cost of my repairs due to their faulty manufacturing. This is a very serious issue and my family's life could have been at stake. When contacting Ford all they can conclude is that they are sorry, my vehicle is not on the list and good luck, something needs to be done and justice needs to be served and by justice meaning my vehicle added to the list of recalls and my repair costs covered this could have been a fatal casualty and these manufacturers of the vehicles response is sorry that's not good enough, are they going to tell someone's family if they had lost their lives sorry for your loss but your vehicle is not on the recall list when clearly it is the exact issue that the recall is for.

- Glasgow, KY, USA

Feb 032015

Fusion 6-cyl

Without warning my power steering failed. With difficulty I drove to the nearest Ford dealership a short distance away. The service advisor told me that the suspension control arms had worn out and resulted in failure of the steering gear assembly. I was able to recover the control arms, however, the steering gear assembly had all ready been returned to Ford for core recovery. When this occurred I was traveling on a paved road and experienced no unusual noise or vibration prior to the failure. The power steering warning light came on at the time of the failure. I was not strong enough to steer the vehicle after the power steering failed unless the vehicle was in forward motion. I have the repair documents to support my complaint. My car is in excellent condition and has been well maintained. This failure appears premature.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Oct 082014

Why is GM recalling steering failure problems for the same type of problem I have been experiencing with the Ford Fusion 2011? I understand Ford recalled a couple other models but has not addressed the Fusion steering failure and many are aware of the Fusion steering loss problem. Complaints & lawsuits have been filed but nothing is being done.

- Brooklyn, MI, USA

Jan 082015

Fusion 4-cyl

Started the car to go home from work and the dash lights indicated "power steering assist fault" and it would not let me turn steering wheel. I turned the car off, turned it back on and it showed up again while I was going about 10mph so I had to stop, turn off the engine and start it up again. I was able to go home but this same thing has happened many times before. This malfunction is incredibly unsafe and I would hate for it to happen at high speeds or with my wife driving.

- Okc, OK, USA

Aug 042014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving and a ding sound was presented so I looked at the dashboard and it said power steering needed. So as I was parking and got out got back in my car and cranked it up it said power steering service needed now and as I took off to drive it was hard to steer the wheel.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Feb 092015

When backing out of the drive way attempted to turn and steering was very difficult and steering assist fault was displayed on the instrument cluster. I was able to get the car back in the garage and turned the car off. About two hours later my husband came home from work and looked at the fuses, didn't find anything wrong. He started the car and the error was gone. I used this car to get myself and my children around town. I do not trust this car to get us to our destination safely with this type of an error being erratic. We just bought this car, how can it be having such major problems at such low mileage?

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 032015

Fusion 4-cyl

When putting car in reverse, power steering assist light flashes and there is no power steering. When I turn ignition off, then restart, it is ok. This incident has happened approx 1 out of every 7 starts during the past week.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Feb 062015

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering assist went off resulting in the loss of power steering. Turned car off restarted and it worked again.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 052014

Fusion 4-cyl

2011 Ford Fusion has had multiple occurrences at low speed either parking or backing in reverse where steering locks up and a warning light for advance trac comes on as well as a warning message about "power steering failed assist." Ability to steer becomes very difficult. Vehicle has under 28,000 miles on it and has always been maintained by Ford dealership. Ford dealer says warranty has "timed out" and the repairs will cost $1,900 and are not covered by any warranty support. Diagnosed part by Ford dealership is replacement needed of the electronic rack and pinion. A case number and complaint was also documented to Ford Motor Company in December 2014.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Jan 312015

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving down my street at 15 mph power steering went out and received warning of "power steering assist failure" and "service advancetrac." There were no prior issues with the steering and the vehicle is driven daily. After reading all of the complaints I can not believe that a recall has not been issued by Ford. This is extremely dangerous!! this is my first Ford vehicle. Prior to this I owned 8 Toyota over the years. I will not purchase another Ford vehicle after this experience.

- Norco, LA, USA

Jan 292015

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering went out while exiting the freeway and almost caused an accident. Has happened several times.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 282015

Turning corner to park, loss of power steering. Service advancetrac light and also anti slip light came on. I took to dealer and they just reset codes. Worked for 3 days andnthen total failure of advanctrac. Suburban Ford now says I need whole new rack and pinion assembly. Looks like this is a major issue with units.

- Bruce Township, MI, USA

Dec 222014

While driving on 12/21/14, a service power steering and service advancetrac warning lights came on. I was able to get home but the following morning had no power steering whatsoever. Leo kaytes Ford in warwick, NY performed a software update which seemed to correct the issue but said I would need to replace the ps system at a price of $2200 if it occurred again. On 1/28, the same warning lights came over an hour from home on a busy highway. I was just barely able to get home and lost all power steering altogether as soon as I turned my car off. This is an extremely dangerous situation that seems to impact Ford Fusion from 2010 to 2012. Ford needs to issue a recall.

- Warwick, NY, USA

Jan 242015

Fusion 4-cyl

Vehicle was in motion when the ability to steer failed. As I was turning into a shopping center the steering failed. Nearly missing impact I was able to get the vehicle into a safe spot in the parking lot. This was a complete component failure. Dealer is charging $1,811.95 to make the repair. Called Ford Motor Company customer service. They refused to pay even though the car is a 2011, Ford Fusion with only 40,457 miles.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Jan 232015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,178.

- Middlesex, SC, USA

Jan 192015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel seized as the power steering and check advance track system warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the power steering system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Oct 022014

Fusion 6-cyl

I took my vehicle to a dealer for evaluation because I got a "power steering assist fault" error message. The steering became very stiff and I turned the ignition off and back on and was able to get steering. The dealer told me that they were unable to duplicate the message and said the steering was fine. I told them that this is a known issue with this vehicle and that in fact there was a class action lawsuit against Ford for it. They claimed no knowledge and repeated there was nothing wrong with the steering. On 12/30/14 I attempted to use my vehicle late in the afternoon. I again got this message and when turning the wheel heard a terrible grinding/groaning noise in either direction. Turning off the ignition and restarting did not resolve so the next morning I called a tow truck to take my vehicle back to the dealer. This time I was told there is indeed a problem and that I need a new steering rack. My repair bill was $1,821.48. Had I been on the road when this occurred who knows what might have happened. I think it is unconscionable that Ford is aware of this issue but refuses to address it.

- Estero, FL, USA

Jan 152015

Twice now my vehicle has lost power steering while driving. The lights suddenly come on saying "service power steering now" "service advancetrac". the first time this happened they were able to reset the computer stating it was an issue with the electronic computer. Now it has happened again and it is completely unsafe. This is not the only electrical issue I have had with this car. About a year ago the electronic throttle body sensor went on it. This was an intense safety problem that was thankfully recalled. Ford really needs to realize the implications of electronic issues in this vehicle.

- Mansfield, MA, USA

Oct 232014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the electrical steering gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Cape May Court House , NJ, USA

Jan 152015

I was leaving school and put my car in reverse, a chime came on and a message was shown saying power steering assist fault. I put it back in park and turned it off and back on again and drove straight home. This just happened and by reading the comments I am terrified to drive my car anymore, even to the shop. I do not make enough money to pay for the maintenance. This is definitely a safety hazard and needs to be addressed right away. This sounds to me like it needs to be a recall!!! if it happens while I'm driving I could be liable to hit something or someone else and my car be damaged. I feel a recall is very necessary!

- Sellersburg, IN, USA