CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 14 of 28)

Nov 182014

Fusion 6-cyl

I have a 2011 Ford Fusion that started having power steering issues to where I would intermittently have increased steering resistance while driving. This went on for a few weeks but I was still able to steer the car however it was a major annoyance. No warning lights ever came on however eventually it came to where when I went to start my car the wheels would lock up and I could not turn the steering wheel at all. After restarting or warming my car the steering would occasionally come back, but it was extremely frustrating. I had no choice but to take it to my Ford dealership and pay the $1500 to have the steering rack replaced. With 64000 miles on the car this is truly unacceptable and I'm hoping after a recall investigation I will be able to have my repair cost refunded.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Oct 292014

Fusion

The steering completely locked up in driveway, 3 people tried to turn the tires, stuck at 11 oclock position, we could not turn wheels, and towed to shop. This is the shop writing this.

- Dillingham, AK, USA

May 222014

Fusion

The power steering is not working.the vehicle is hard to make turns. I only had this car almost 3 years and I purchased it used. The power steering is gone and I have seen a lot of complaints about this model with power steering problems. I know there should be some kind of recall on this vehicle. I can not afford to have this fixed. I am hoping that you all will check into this. It is unsafe. I am considering the news about this because I keep getting the run around. I love my car and I just can't afford to have it fixed because of this mechanical problem.

- Erwin, NC, USA

Jan 012015

Fusion

I lost power steering when coming down my street, if I had been on open highway I have no doubt I would have crashed. Now the car sits in my driveway, because I have no warranty to cover the needed work, my first and last Ford !!!!!

- Mdison, WV, USA

Jan 042015

Fusion

While driving on the express way the car lost power steering and the power steering failure light came on. Became almost impossible to turn the vehicle. The dash messaging system read service advancetrac. We tried resetting everything, turning the car on and off, nothing fixed it so we are taking it to the dealership. But read it was a common issue and we believe it should be recalled so something like this does not happen to someone else and end in a fatality.

- Newark, OH, USA

Jan 012015

Fusion 4-cyl

This has happened a few times in my Ford Fusion sel. Usually I will be driving about 10-15 mph, when suddenly the power steering fails and I get a message, accompanied by a loud beep, on the dash, warning me that it has failed. The car becomes almost impossible to control when the steering fails. Most of the times it fails, it does it while turning into a parking lot. A few times it has happened while backing out of a parking spot. This is extremely dangerous and highly annoying, since I still owe money on this car, and I was promised up and down what a safe, reliable, and affordable car it was.

- St. Charles, MO, USA

Dec 292014

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was pulling into my driveway the power steering shut down and the "power steering assist default" warning came on. At that point I was already in my driveway but could no longer steer the car at all. Now I cannot drive the car.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Dec 302014

Fusion

I drove to wal-mart it was fine but when I left wal-mart I drove.back home the service power steering and advantrec light came on I had to struggle turning.the wheel the fastest I was going was 35.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Dec 312014

Fusion 4-cyl

Steering failure assist light came on first thing this morning at 6:30am. Was wondering if this has ever been a recalled part for the 2011 Ford Fusion.

- Jacksonville, AL, USA

Dec 302014

Fusion

While driving, the advance trac light came on. Then an error message telling me to service power steering. The wheel suddenly became hard to turn while driving. There was no advanced warning. As soon as the light came on, the car became difficult to steer.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 132014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving the vehicle and the skid/slide light came on. Not much longer the power steering/advancetrac warning came on and I completely lost power steering, almost running off the road.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Dec 272014

Fusion

While driving my 2011 Ford Fusion sel V6 on December 25th, 2014, the advance track light came on. It stayed on until I parked the car in the garage about 10 miles (15 minutes) later. Two days later, on a trip from North Carolina to Kentucky, the advance track light came on again. This time it came on and stayed again until the car was parked at the final destination in Kentucky. It stayed on for about 50 miles +/-. later in the day, I got in the vehicle to take a short trip to the grocery store. When I started down the road, at approximately 30 mph, the "service power steering" and " service advance track system" error codes popped up and the power steering just quit working. I still had steering in the car but it took most all the strength I had (and I'm no small guy) to muscle the car to the side of the road and get it stopped. I hate to think what would have happened if my wife, son, or daughter had been driving the car at the time. I towed the car home on 12/28/14 and scheduled an appointment at the local Ford dealer for 2 pm today (12/29/14).

- Hudson, NC, USA

Dec 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

On December 19 I started my car and tried to drive away. However, the steering wheel appeared locked. It would not budge. I cut the car off and restarted it, and the wheel then moved. This happened again on December 21, 25, and 27, but on the 27, a message appeared: "power steering assist fault." On December 28, the power steering went out while I was driving down a nearby street. I had to manhandle the steering wheel and coast to a stop. Again I received the message.

- Douglas, GA, USA

Dec 032014

Fusion

I have lost power steering twice now. It has always been when I have just started my car. I start the car, back out of a parking spot and when I put the car in drive I lose power steering and a power steering failure light comes on. I have been able to drive the car to a safe area and turn it off and restart the car. This seems to reset the power steering.

- Meeker, OK, USA

Dec 012014

Fusion

Driving son to school on secondary road with turns; light came on indicating failure of the power steering assist and the power steering went out. Had to drive several hundred feet to attempt to get the vehicle off the road safely. Turned the car off; then restarted and the system reset. Second occurrence a few days later when is started the vehicle. I put it in reverse and again the indicator lights came on with the same error message. Restarted the vehicle and the system reset.

- Slippery Rock, PA, USA

Dec 102014

Fusion

While pilling out of a parking space the steering assist failed making the vehicle difficult to steer. Car had to sit and be restarted before regaining steering. Since the incident there are steering assist warnings on the dash. The problem appears randomly and very concerned steering will be lost at high speeds or hit someone or something at low speeds.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 302014

Fusion 6-cyl

Called carmx where I purchased the car many times..to no avail I have gotten help. My car now won't work. No power steering. Was backing out of my driveway.

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Dec 122014

Fusion

I was driving into a parking lot and my power steering light came on to service soon I parked my car then when I went to leave and started my car, the light went to service now and I had no power steering at all. I am a college student and just bought this car less than 5 months ago and I am very lucky that this didn't happen on my way home while driving through the mountain areas I have to drive through from college or I could have had a fatal or serious accident. I don't have the money to fix this and I believe Ford Motor Company should recall and repair this serious issue and since there is several complaints.

- Five Points, TN, USA

Dec 112014

Fusion

I was driving my vehicle on the highway at 60 miles per hour when the power steering when out completely. When this happened I was at a off ramp exit and had almost zero steering I panicked and tried to get off the exit which had a sharp radius turn, I could not keep the vehicle on the road and traveled off into to grass until I could skid to a stop. If there would have been a different situation other then the grass I was able to crash off into I or someone else could have been killed or seriously injured. It took every bit of strength I have to try to control the vehicle to keep it from a very serious accident, as my vehicle lost steering I had two dash warnings that came on. Advanced trac and power steering both quit working. With the research I've done I think its a disgrace that Ford has done nothing to fix this issue. I have no way to pay over $2000 to get my car operational again. I will no doubt loose my job do to now not having transportation. My car only has 48500 miles on it. Thanks Ford

- Akron, PA, USA

Oct 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Starting in mid-October 2014, we started experiencing occurrences of power steering failure with an odometer reading of approximately 50,000 miles. Each occurrence was intermittent; typically the power steering assist was disabled when first engaging the transmission in "drive" from parked position. As a remedy, we would stop the car, turn off the engine, and restart the ignition. This procedure would reactivate power steering assist and allow normal steering. However, the last power steering failure in mid-November led to a permanent disablement of the power steering, as restart procedure failed. We contacted Ford dealer to notify of the problem, and received estimate of $1500 for repairs (vehicle's standard warranty expired), and declined to reimburse the repair cost due to no recall. After further discussions, dealership and Ford offered cost share; Ford would bear 60% of the repair cost with the remainder by us. We agreed to the arrangement; dealership performed necessary repair (replaced steering gear including alignment) on November 21, 2014 (odometer reading of 50,774 miles) @ total out-of-pocket repair charges of $583.44. We believe the vehicle's power steering failure was grossly premature. Although out of warranty, we believe the power steering gear was defective, and should be covered by a formal recall or extended warranty. Further, power steering issue was not caused by excessive wear and tear, but was the by-product of a latent defect based on inferior quality. This poses a significant safety hazard as loss of power assist makes "manual" steering extremely difficult for any driver. Our driving habits have been reasonable, and have been in line with the intended purpose of the automobile. Based on the above, we request further investigation of this case, as we believe other Fusion of the same model year may be similarly impacted.

- Kettering, OH, USA