Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 14 of 28)

Oct 302014

Fusion 6-cyl

Called carmx where I purchased the car many no avail I have gotten help. My car now won't work. No power steering. Was backing out of my driveway.

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Dec 122014

I was driving into a parking lot and my power steering light came on to service soon I parked my car then when I went to leave and started my car, the light went to service now and I had no power steering at all. I am a college student and just bought this car less than 5 months ago and I am very lucky that this didn't happen on my way home while driving through the mountain areas I have to drive through from college or I could have had a fatal or serious accident. I don't have the money to fix this and I believe Ford Motor Company should recall and repair this serious issue and since there is several complaints.

- Five Points, TN, USA

Dec 112014

I was driving my vehicle on the highway at 60 miles per hour when the power steering when out completely. When this happened I was at a off ramp exit and had almost zero steering I panicked and tried to get off the exit which had a sharp radius turn, I could not keep the vehicle on the road and traveled off into to grass until I could skid to a stop. If there would have been a different situation other then the grass I was able to crash off into I or someone else could have been killed or seriously injured. It took every bit of strength I have to try to control the vehicle to keep it from a very serious accident, as my vehicle lost steering I had two dash warnings that came on. Advanced trac and power steering both quit working. With the research I've done I think its a disgrace that Ford has done nothing to fix this issue. I have no way to pay over $2000 to get my car operational again. I will no doubt loose my job do to now not having transportation. My car only has 48500 miles on it. Thanks Ford

- Akron, PA, USA

Oct 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Starting in mid-October 2014, we started experiencing occurrences of power steering failure with an odometer reading of approximately 50,000 miles. Each occurrence was intermittent; typically the power steering assist was disabled when first engaging the transmission in "drive" from parked position. As a remedy, we would stop the car, turn off the engine, and restart the ignition. This procedure would reactivate power steering assist and allow normal steering. However, the last power steering failure in mid-November led to a permanent disablement of the power steering, as restart procedure failed. We contacted Ford dealer to notify of the problem, and received estimate of $1500 for repairs (vehicle's standard warranty expired), and declined to reimburse the repair cost due to no recall. After further discussions, dealership and Ford offered cost share; Ford would bear 60% of the repair cost with the remainder by us. We agreed to the arrangement; dealership performed necessary repair (replaced steering gear including alignment) on November 21, 2014 (odometer reading of 50,774 miles) @ total out-of-pocket repair charges of $583.44. We believe the vehicle's power steering failure was grossly premature. Although out of warranty, we believe the power steering gear was defective, and should be covered by a formal recall or extended warranty. Further, power steering issue was not caused by excessive wear and tear, but was the by-product of a latent defect based on inferior quality. This poses a significant safety hazard as loss of power assist makes "manual" steering extremely difficult for any driver. Our driving habits have been reasonable, and have been in line with the intended purpose of the automobile. Based on the above, we request further investigation of this case, as we believe other Fusion of the same model year may be similarly impacted.

- Kettering, OH, USA

Dec 062014

Fusion 4-cyl

My vehicle lost its power steering. A error message came up "power steering assist fault and service autotrac.. I restarted the car hoping it was just a glitch in the system, but it was not. I had no power steering. I took it to the Ford dealer and they told me it was the sensor the cost of the repair is close to $2000. I had no choice but to get it fixed and it was very costly. I have asked other owners of this same vehicle and a few of them have had the same problem. This is a disgrace that Ford does not see this as a issue for a recall. This is my last Ford vehicle.

- Forty Fort, PA, USA

Dec 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering failed. Received indication of advancetrac needing service as well as power steering failure. I have noticed some issues of this nature for over one year and 15,000 miles as when the car is first started and put into reverse there would be, on occasion, no power steering and I'd get advancetrac needs service warning. By putting the car in drive I could sometimes get the power steering back or if I shut the engine off and restarted. Power steering completely failed now at 43,000 miles and I've been told by the Ford dealership that the module as well as the steering gear--the whole system--has to be replaced per diagnostics.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 262014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on the interstate at 70 mph the steering wheel went firm and the power steering assist warning started flashing on the dash. I had to struggle to get to the car pulled over, muscled it over with everything humanly possible in me. I shut it off, start it again, warning had cleared, and I continued to drive without problems. This area is mountainous and very dangerous. This has occurred 3 other times while starting the car.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Dec 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

When turning on the vehicle, I get a "power steering assist fault" error message. The car loses power steering and I am not able to turn the wheel.

- Macedonia, OH, USA

Mar 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering has gone out at least 5 times since March at different rates of speed. We have been fortunate that no one has been hurt. Asked the Ford dealership about a recall but was told there was not one even thought this is a widespread problem with 2010 to 2012 models.

- Statesboro , GA, USA

Nov 222014

Driving down the road, suddenly my dashboard lights up with bells & whistles saying power steering service now. Also advance track service now. There was no crash (thankfully). Tried to restart car, hopefully to clear out error code but it still shows. No power steering. When we tried to go home, it took both myself and my husband to turn the wheel onto residential streets and our driveway. Thankfully a friend followed us home to avoid an accident caused by lack of control in steering. With only having the car for a year and having 57K should not have these issues!

- Bedford, TX, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

As the vehicle was being driven down the road the power steer completely went out making it extremely difficult to control and maneuver. I called Ford customer care after learning there has been multiple previous problems with the power assist motor. The agent was polite and concern but offered no help only to say "she hadn't received any info from Ford on any recalls".

- Nixa, MO, USA

Jun 032013

Fusion 6-cyl

Power steering failed while driving. No power until vehicle was shut off and restarted.

- Ivor, VA, USA

Nov 182014

I was slowing to make a right turn, power steering assist failed, forcing me to steer manually, with great difficulty, to safely stop. Warning light came on indicating power steering assist failure. I turned engine off, then restarted and system functioned properly. Research on the internet indicates I am not the only case. Ford should issue a recall for repair of this potentially dangerous failure.

- Chatham, MA, USA

Oct 012014

While driving one Saturday evening out of no where the car idles down to about 5 mph until it stops, the steering wheel and gas pedal locks up and my husband and I are stuck in the middle of the road with traffic behind us, thankfully there was no accident. I then put the car in park, switched to key back to turn it off and back on to try and move it from the road to the gas station that we were right in front of (thank god). We eventually got the car in the parking lot and noticed the wrench light and the check engine light were both on. We did our research and found out it is a problem concerning the throttle body, in which I heard is very costly. The problem stopped for about a week then started again and happens randomly while in traffic, again thank god no accident has occurred. This car is my husband and I only means of transportation right now and I am 4&1/2 months pregnant so we need this car to travel not only to and from work but also my doctor visits. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this problem but it's a huge safety problem and we've only had the car for about 9 months.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Nov 182014

As we were driving home tonight from walmart my display said service power steering now and service advancetrac and we lost all power steering thank god my husband was driving because there was no way I could have been able to control the vehicle. It was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me in a vehicle along with our 6 year old daughter. We were in the middle of a sharp turn if I had been driving we surely would have went over an embankment.

- Cambridge, OH, USA

Nov 172014

The power steering assist default has gone out on my car causing my whole steering to lock up it has done it more than once even as I was turning in a intersection.

- Glendale , AZ, USA

Nov 162014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving I received an alert to service power steering and advance trac. I drove 1 mile and parked at my home, 11/17/2014 started the vehicle to go to work and had no power steering at all. My car is undriveable and is being towed to near by dealership.

- Salem, IL, USA

Nov 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

While turning into a parking lot the steering became very difficult. Once the car was in the parking spot I noticed that several warning lights had come on including the advanced track and power steering lights. The car was turned off then restarted. The advanced track light flashed while the power steering light stayed on. At that point the steering wheel could not be turned and the car had to be towed to a Ford dealership. They advised that the entire rack and pinion assembly had to be replaced. Prior to this event there were no indications of a problem.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Nov 152014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 35 mph, the service power steering light illuminated and the steering wheel locked. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 67,000. The VIN was not available.

- Van Buren, AR, USA

Nov 172014

Fusion 4-cyl

Was driving and my power steering stopped working. Dash indicates power steering assist fault. Service autotrac. I have no power steering and it is extremely hard to turn my steering. I have noticed that this is a problem with multiple Fusion owners and the car is quite new to be having such a serious problem. Not being able to steer or control your vehicle seems very dangerous.

- Eagan, MN, USA