CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 14 of 28)

Dec 312014

Fusion 4-cyl

Steering failure assist light came on first thing this morning at 6:30am. Was wondering if this has ever been a recalled part for the 2011 Ford Fusion.

- Jacksonville, AL, USA

Dec 302014

Fusion

While driving, the advance trac light came on. Then an error message telling me to service power steering. The wheel suddenly became hard to turn while driving. There was no advanced warning. As soon as the light came on, the car became difficult to steer.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 132014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving the vehicle and the skid/slide light came on. Not much longer the power steering/advancetrac warning came on and I completely lost power steering, almost running off the road.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Dec 272014

Fusion

While driving my 2011 Ford Fusion sel V6 on December 25th, 2014, the advance track light came on. It stayed on until I parked the car in the garage about 10 miles (15 minutes) later. Two days later, on a trip from North Carolina to Kentucky, the advance track light came on again. This time it came on and stayed again until the car was parked at the final destination in Kentucky. It stayed on for about 50 miles +/-. later in the day, I got in the vehicle to take a short trip to the grocery store. When I started down the road, at approximately 30 mph, the "service power steering" and " service advance track system" error codes popped up and the power steering just quit working. I still had steering in the car but it took most all the strength I had (and I'm no small guy) to muscle the car to the side of the road and get it stopped. I hate to think what would have happened if my wife, son, or daughter had been driving the car at the time. I towed the car home on 12/28/14 and scheduled an appointment at the local Ford dealer for 2 pm today (12/29/14).

- Hudson, NC, USA

Dec 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

On December 19 I started my car and tried to drive away. However, the steering wheel appeared locked. It would not budge. I cut the car off and restarted it, and the wheel then moved. This happened again on December 21, 25, and 27, but on the 27, a message appeared: "power steering assist fault." On December 28, the power steering went out while I was driving down a nearby street. I had to manhandle the steering wheel and coast to a stop. Again I received the message.

- Douglas, GA, USA

Dec 032014

Fusion

I have lost power steering twice now. It has always been when I have just started my car. I start the car, back out of a parking spot and when I put the car in drive I lose power steering and a power steering failure light comes on. I have been able to drive the car to a safe area and turn it off and restart the car. This seems to reset the power steering.

- Meeker, OK, USA

Dec 012014

Fusion

Driving son to school on secondary road with turns; light came on indicating failure of the power steering assist and the power steering went out. Had to drive several hundred feet to attempt to get the vehicle off the road safely. Turned the car off; then restarted and the system reset. Second occurrence a few days later when is started the vehicle. I put it in reverse and again the indicator lights came on with the same error message. Restarted the vehicle and the system reset.

- Slippery Rock, PA, USA

Dec 102014

Fusion

While pilling out of a parking space the steering assist failed making the vehicle difficult to steer. Car had to sit and be restarted before regaining steering. Since the incident there are steering assist warnings on the dash. The problem appears randomly and very concerned steering will be lost at high speeds or hit someone or something at low speeds.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 302014

Fusion 6-cyl

Called carmx where I purchased the car many times..to no avail I have gotten help. My car now won't work. No power steering. Was backing out of my driveway.

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Dec 122014

Fusion

I was driving into a parking lot and my power steering light came on to service soon I parked my car then when I went to leave and started my car, the light went to service now and I had no power steering at all. I am a college student and just bought this car less than 5 months ago and I am very lucky that this didn't happen on my way home while driving through the mountain areas I have to drive through from college or I could have had a fatal or serious accident. I don't have the money to fix this and I believe Ford Motor Company should recall and repair this serious issue and since there is several complaints.

- Five Points, TN, USA

Dec 112014

Fusion

I was driving my vehicle on the highway at 60 miles per hour when the power steering when out completely. When this happened I was at a off ramp exit and had almost zero steering I panicked and tried to get off the exit which had a sharp radius turn, I could not keep the vehicle on the road and traveled off into to grass until I could skid to a stop. If there would have been a different situation other then the grass I was able to crash off into I or someone else could have been killed or seriously injured. It took every bit of strength I have to try to control the vehicle to keep it from a very serious accident, as my vehicle lost steering I had two dash warnings that came on. Advanced trac and power steering both quit working. With the research I've done I think its a disgrace that Ford has done nothing to fix this issue. I have no way to pay over $2000 to get my car operational again. I will no doubt loose my job do to now not having transportation. My car only has 48500 miles on it. Thanks Ford

- Akron, PA, USA

Oct 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Starting in mid-October 2014, we started experiencing occurrences of power steering failure with an odometer reading of approximately 50,000 miles. Each occurrence was intermittent; typically the power steering assist was disabled when first engaging the transmission in "drive" from parked position. As a remedy, we would stop the car, turn off the engine, and restart the ignition. This procedure would reactivate power steering assist and allow normal steering. However, the last power steering failure in mid-November led to a permanent disablement of the power steering, as restart procedure failed. We contacted Ford dealer to notify of the problem, and received estimate of $1500 for repairs (vehicle's standard warranty expired), and declined to reimburse the repair cost due to no recall. After further discussions, dealership and Ford offered cost share; Ford would bear 60% of the repair cost with the remainder by us. We agreed to the arrangement; dealership performed necessary repair (replaced steering gear including alignment) on November 21, 2014 (odometer reading of 50,774 miles) @ total out-of-pocket repair charges of $583.44. We believe the vehicle's power steering failure was grossly premature. Although out of warranty, we believe the power steering gear was defective, and should be covered by a formal recall or extended warranty. Further, power steering issue was not caused by excessive wear and tear, but was the by-product of a latent defect based on inferior quality. This poses a significant safety hazard as loss of power assist makes "manual" steering extremely difficult for any driver. Our driving habits have been reasonable, and have been in line with the intended purpose of the automobile. Based on the above, we request further investigation of this case, as we believe other Fusion of the same model year may be similarly impacted.

- Kettering, OH, USA

Dec 062014

Fusion 4-cyl

My vehicle lost its power steering. A error message came up "power steering assist fault and service autotrac.. I restarted the car hoping it was just a glitch in the system, but it was not. I had no power steering. I took it to the Ford dealer and they told me it was the sensor the cost of the repair is close to $2000. I had no choice but to get it fixed and it was very costly. I have asked other owners of this same vehicle and a few of them have had the same problem. This is a disgrace that Ford does not see this as a issue for a recall. This is my last Ford vehicle.

- Forty Fort, PA, USA

Dec 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering failed. Received indication of advancetrac needing service as well as power steering failure. I have noticed some issues of this nature for over one year and 15,000 miles as when the car is first started and put into reverse there would be, on occasion, no power steering and I'd get advancetrac needs service warning. By putting the car in drive I could sometimes get the power steering back or if I shut the engine off and restarted. Power steering completely failed now at 43,000 miles and I've been told by the Ford dealership that the module as well as the steering gear--the whole system--has to be replaced per diagnostics.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 262014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on the interstate at 70 mph the steering wheel went firm and the power steering assist warning started flashing on the dash. I had to struggle to get to the car pulled over, muscled it over with everything humanly possible in me. I shut it off, start it again, warning had cleared, and I continued to drive without problems. This area is mountainous and very dangerous. This has occurred 3 other times while starting the car.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Dec 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

When turning on the vehicle, I get a "power steering assist fault" error message. The car loses power steering and I am not able to turn the wheel.

- Macedonia, OH, USA

Mar 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering has gone out at least 5 times since March at different rates of speed. We have been fortunate that no one has been hurt. Asked the Ford dealership about a recall but was told there was not one even thought this is a widespread problem with 2010 to 2012 models.

- Statesboro , GA, USA

Nov 222014

Fusion

Driving down the road, suddenly my dashboard lights up with bells & whistles saying power steering service now. Also advance track service now. There was no crash (thankfully). Tried to restart car, hopefully to clear out error code but it still shows. No power steering. When we tried to go home, it took both myself and my husband to turn the wheel onto residential streets and our driveway. Thankfully a friend followed us home to avoid an accident caused by lack of control in steering. With only having the car for a year and having 57K miles...it should not have these issues!

- Bedford, TX, USA

Nov 182014

Fusion 4-cyl

As the vehicle was being driven down the road the power steer completely went out making it extremely difficult to control and maneuver. I called Ford customer care after learning there has been multiple previous problems with the power assist motor. The agent was polite and concern but offered no help only to say "she hadn't received any info from Ford on any recalls".

- Nixa, MO, USA

Jun 032013

Fusion 6-cyl

Power steering failed while driving. No power until vehicle was shut off and restarted.

- Ivor, VA, USA