CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 16 of 28)

Nov 022014

Fusion

While exiting the highway my car suddenly become extremely hard to steer my wife, child and myself where in the car at the time. I have bad the car looked at the can not find anything wrong with the rack assembly.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Nov 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering assist fault. Over the last 3 months, have had multiple random power steering assist faults. By shutting down vehicle and restarting, these have cleared in the past, but on Nov.2, 2014, upon start of vehicle, power steering assist fault occurred and would not clear. Was forced to drive car home without power steering and almost crashed multiple times. In addition, this fault sometimes has occurred at same time as advancetrac warning. Appears that whatever electrical device is failing is related to both systems.

- Anderson, SC, USA

Oct 272014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving to doctors appointment, electric power steering failed and caused extreme discomfort to right wrist with existing disability; which requires power assisted steering.

- Willard, OH, USA

Oct 302014

Fusion 6-cyl

The first two times, I was backing out of a space and then start to turn the wheels while driving away and the steering locks. I can drive back forward into the space, then turn off the car and turn it back on and things are fine. The third time, I was simply turning out of my subdivision and the steering locked again.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 302014

Fusion 4-cyl

My wife was driving then car she went into a parking lot and the power steering went out. Now she has to drive the car another forty five miles to our house with the baby and my younger son and I worry for their safety.

- Taft, CA, USA

Aug 202014

Fusion

Driving and power steering goes out and am unable to steer vehicle warning lights come on stating advance service trac and power steering. Has happened 3 times first time power steering came back on after car shut off. Next 2 car was taken to Ford.

- Fruita, CO, USA

Apr 112014

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn without warning. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 51,717. Updated 12/17/14 updated 6/2/2015

- Oskaloosa, IA, USA

Oct 162014

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving 25 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering vault light illuminated. The dealer stated that the power steering gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 7/9/15

- Pontotoc, MS, USA

Aug 012014

Fusion

The power steering assist is failing. It will continually fail and vehicle is hard to steer/control. Numerous complaints this vehicle needs to have a recall issued.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Oct 112014

Fusion 4-cyl

First, we received a "power steering assist failure" message followed by a "service advancetrac" message. Then the power steering went out and the car became extremely difficult to control. I am thankful that my wife was not driving at the time; I don't know that she would have had the strength to maintain control and maneuver the car safely to the side of the road.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Oct 242014

Fusion 4-cyl

Started up the car and the power steering assist failure warning light came on. Was unusable to steer the car at all.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 252014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving with my family my service advancetrac and service power steering warning lights came on. After we got home and went to go back out later our power steering was completely gone. Car isn't drivable as it has no power steering at all. Very dangerous situation my family was put into by this problem!!

- Whitesville, WV, USA

Oct 242013

Fusion

I was going approximately 60 mph and the power steering went away. I pulled over and turned off the car and restarted and it was fine.

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Aug 082014

Fusion

I was driving with my two children going aprox 25 mpg, I attempted to turn right into a parking lot, and power steering was completely lost. I then drove to work aprox 20 miles with no power steering. I took my car into the Ford dealership, they spent 4 days trying to determine what the issue was, and ultimately decided the entire power steering needed to be replaced, at a cost of $1900. Being a single parent, and only one vehicle, I was left no choice but to pay and get the car fixed.

- Nappanee, IN, USA

Oct 182014

Fusion

Steering power assist completely failed when vehicle was started, flashed messages for power assist failure and advancetrak needs to be serviced. Car was parked at time of failure, the car would be undrivable for most as the force required to turn the wheel without assist requires great effort. Had this occurred suddenly while the car was in motion as others have reported my wife would most likely not have been able to steer the vehicle to a safe stop location. Further, the cost to repair this issue is overwhelming, dealer advised over $1700 out of pocket with no support from Ford on this 3 year old vehicle despite the number of complaints currently filed on this specific issue with this vehicle. Filing this complaint to document another occurrence of this issue to the NHTSA in support of other owners who have or will experience this problem.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jan 192012

Fusion 4-cyl

The power steering has gone out now a few times. Each time the car has to be placed in park, shut off and turned back on for it to be reset. It just happened again at 91, 777 miles. Enough is enough and this should be addressed before someone gets killed. My wife was driving this time on a fairly busy road with our daughter.

- Seymour, TN, USA

Oct 152014

Fusion

I got in my car after work and there was dinging and a notification appeared on the dash that my power steering needed service now. I could not move my wheel or steer at all. After taking it in to the service station I was told the my electronic steering gear had malfunctioned, I believe they referred to it as the epas system. It is a complete malfunction of the power steering system and I am lucky that I was not driving the vehicle when it went out.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

May 222014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving to work all of a sudden my advance trac light went on and there was no steering at all. All the lights went dead and I had to stop in the middle of the street. I tried to get the car to the side of the road before stopping but wasn't able to maneuver it, it was too hard to steer. After stopping short I finally was able to force the steering wheel to turn and moved to the side of the road. I read the manual and it said turn off the car and restart, I did and nothing happened. I called aaa and they towed me to Ford in toms river, NJ. It cost me $2,152.14 for the steering rack to be replaced as well as having my car for 6 days and having to rent a car for additional costs.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Oct 152014

Fusion 4-cyl

Got in my car to start morning commute. Once I pull out to drive through the neighborhood the steering service and advance trac notification displays on the dash. I pull into a gas station turn off the car and pop the hood to see if its anything obvious. When I turn the car back on the light immediately pops up service power steering now. And I have no power steering from this point on.

- Owasso, OK, USA

Sep 292014

Fusion 4-cyl

My daughter was killed in a 2011 Ford Fusion when she hit a tree the police are saying she fell asleep I don't believe that my daughter's worked night shift for the last six months and this was her daily schedule she was the perfect driver of the family to drive 17 hours straight she did all that road trips I believe she tried avoid a deer and then lost control of her vehicle this was a really horrific crash everything that was on the front and went in to the car including the motor the front tire the bumpers everything the driver seat was pushed all way back to the rear seat I hope this car could be investigated I believe my daughter lost control of the steering and that's why she crashed. Updated 4/28/2015

- Port Norris, NJ, USA