CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 19 of 28)

Jul 242014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was taking off from my parents front yard when I received a message stating advanctrac power steering failure the first time. I then was on the road driving around 50 mph when I received the same message on August 10 2014 then again it occurred while driving 5 mph in a parking lot and turning I received the same message again advanctrac power steering failure in reading online I am not the only person to encounter this problem and I feel this is a manufacturer issue as its not only me. Please advise thank you!

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 272014

Fusion 6-cyl

Upon traveling at slow speed steering completely failed--no power assist. Could not turn--very dangerous almost had near collision. Shut down car and waited 10 minutes. Started up and ran ok. If this was at highway speed I could have been killed.

- Alton, NH, USA

Jul 012014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at no particular speed, the vehicle lost power steering and the power steering light illuminated. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that a new power steering rack was needed to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Walhalla , SC, USA

Aug 242014

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle at 25 mph I lost the power steering. I was able to safely pull the vehicle into a parking lot and place the auto in park. I turned the car off and back on and receive a service message to have the advance trac system and the power steering system serviced soon. I allowed the car to sit for a few minutes, turned the car off and on again and this time the warning messages changed to have the advance trac system serviced and the power steering system serviced now. I was unable to drive the auto. I called a tow and the car is now sitting at Firestone auto repair. I'm on the phone with Ford now. They have a recall for this issue but only for 2011's manufactured at the Kansas City plant. My car was manufactured at the hermosillo plant in Mexico. I'm on hold now with Ford customer service waiting to discuss this to see if they are willing to broaden the recall to cover the Mexico plant. I drive on interstates in Chicago every day. If this happens during a daily rush hour commute I will be in serious trouble. The Firestone auto repair doesn't really know how to approach this issue. I have read that it may have something to do with the road angular sensor or the voltage on the battery. Supposedly the dealer that I purchased this auto from (milady Nissan in crystal lakek) gave me a new battery. I have had the car for 5 months.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Jul 232014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving 5 mph, a traction control, service power steering message illuminated on the control panel. Seconds later, the power steering stopped working. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the power steering rack had an internal failure and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 63,145.

- Sparta, MI, USA

Aug 212014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving 45 mph, the power steering warning indicator illuminated and the power steering failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Aug 182014

Fusion 4-cyl

The vehicles power steering completely turns off and will not turn on until it is brought to a Ford dealership and they clear the code. The problem seems to be very consistent with Ford Fusion models and I cannot understand why there is not a recall on this as the repair will be coming out of my pocket.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Aug 182014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving car, steering locked and power steering assist fault message appeared on dashboard.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Aug 162014

Fusion

Driving to work 25 mph and suddenly my power steering went out, then the traction control system(tsc) lights went on.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

After having my car for 3 months or so I had the first incident with the power steering failing on my car while driving with a warning message that stated "power steering assist fault, service advancetrac" I was able to pull over turn the vehicle off and back on and the problem would be corrected, the last event with.with this same problem did not clear the message, I have read a number of blogs with peep owning Ford Fusion to.know this is not an isolated issue and yet Ford Motor Company still has yet to take corrective action against this problem and at around $1900 for repair costs of this issue that is unacceptable.

- Girard, PA, USA

Oct 162013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving on a surface street at approx 10-15 mph and the power steering goes out. "power steering assist fault" message on dash board. Pulled car over to side and shut off engine. Restarted and issue went away. This happened 5-6 times in the following 9 months. Then on Aug 6 (warranty expired), power steering would not work and message would not go away, even after restart. Took it to the dealer and was charged $1827.88 to fix. (part installed - ae5Z 3504 ce: Gear assy - steering).

- Taylorsville, KY, USA

Aug 102013

Fusion

After several intermittent losses of power steering when driving the car the past year the power steering gear assembly failed on 8/12/14. Cost to repair: $1987.73. It's a dangerous situation when you lose power steering while driving-especially for women or elderly people. I can't let my wife drive my car anymore in good conscience.

- Midlothian, IL, USA

Aug 152014

Fusion

Steering locked up due to a faulty steering assist and a traction issue. Luckily my kids were no hurt. The car is new so we shouldn't be having these problems.

- Grenada, MS, USA

Aug 102014

Fusion 6-cyl

I lost power steering while making a turn onto a street. The first occurrence happened about July 12 making a turn onto a busy intersection. It took me by surprise and grabbed onto the wheel so hard to gain control wheel my elbow still is sore. Pulled over, turned off the car. Started the vehicle and power steering was back. Took the vehicle to a service repair shop to run a diagnostics and they couldn't find anything wrong. Then again on August 10, happened twice. Same situation, making a turn, lost power steering. I was able to pull into a driveway. Turned off the car, restarted, and made it home. Took it to the repair shop and informed me it is the rack and pinion that needed to be for $1150 (part only) labor of course was extra. I was so upset, I did call Ford and reported the incident. I tried to make an appointment at a Ford dealer, told wait would be 2 weeks or more. After some on line research, discovered this problem is occurring, not only in the Fusion, but other Ford products like the escape. I can't believe there isn't a recall! the loss of power steering creates a dangerous situation. It is intermittent and happens unexpectedly. The wheel tightens and it takes a lot of power to turn the wheel to get to a safe spot.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Jun 062014

Fusion

The first incident was at work around the beginning of June 2014, I turned on the car to leave and the "power steering assist fault" message came up and I had no power steering. I turned the car off and then back on again and everything worked. I mentioned it to the dealer and I was told not to worry about it. It happened about 5 more times over the next two months while at home and work. It would happen when I would first turn on the car, I would shut the car off and then restart the car. This last time, August 8, 2014 I was at home and turned on the car, I received the "power steering assist fault" message again. I turned my car off and then back on and it did not reset this time. I tried to restart my car 4 times and it didn't fix the problem. I called the dealer and I was told to disconnect my battery and that might help reset it. This also did not work. I had my car towed in to the dealer and I am now being told that I might need to have the power steering gear box replaced and this will be expensive. I know there are many other models of Ford cars in my year that are having this problem and I am being told by the dealer that it is not related. We will see how much Ford helps with or not.

- Valencia, CA, USA

Aug 092014

Fusion

Coming out of sloped driveway - entering a main avenue - steering wheel locked. Was able to get in middle turning lane. 2 blocks from home - waited for traffic all to go by - made left turn into parking lot with. Extreme difficulty. Straightened up by backing up - made another right into parking space by backing up and inching forward and pulling on wheel to turn. Wording came up "power steering assist fault" :service advance trac". dealership put thru it's paces on the computer - could find nothing wrong - and did not charge. Keeping overnight and someone going to drive it. Never had anything like this happen and Ford should definitely be looking into this, in my opinion.

- New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA

Aug 082014

Fusion

Friday I had my 3 year old and 5 year old in the car and we were pulling out into a busy highway when the steering wheel locked up and the power steering assist fault light came on. In a panic I turned the car off an on again but it didn't fix the problem and we were stranded horizontally in the middle of the road, I literally used all the strength I had and pulled it onto the side of the road. The power steering is now out all together. Is it going to take someone dying for Ford to fix this problem? my babies could have been seriously injured or worse.

- Whitney, TX, USA

Jun 142014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the service power steering light illuminated and it was very difficult to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Mcclain, MS, USA

Aug 062014

Fusion

Was driving about 35 coming to a stop and power steering stopped working message appeared on dash. Service stabilitrac service power steering and tire moniter.

- Benton, KY, USA

Aug 052014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the power steering assist and the service advanced tract warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that the power steering became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the diagnosis was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,000. Updated 6/8/15

- Chaska, MN, USA