Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 19 of 28)

Oct 162013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving on a surface street at approx 10-15 mph and the power steering goes out. "power steering assist fault" message on dash board. Pulled car over to side and shut off engine. Restarted and issue went away. This happened 5-6 times in the following 9 months. Then on Aug 6 (warranty expired), power steering would not work and message would not go away, even after restart. Took it to the dealer and was charged $1827.88 to fix. (part installed - ae5Z 3504 ce: Gear assy - steering).

- Taylorsville, KY, USA

Aug 102013

After several intermittent losses of power steering when driving the car the past year the power steering gear assembly failed on 8/12/14. Cost to repair: $1987.73. It's a dangerous situation when you lose power steering while driving-especially for women or elderly people. I can't let my wife drive my car anymore in good conscience.

- Midlothian, IL, USA

Aug 152014

Steering locked up due to a faulty steering assist and a traction issue. Luckily my kids were no hurt. The car is new so we shouldn't be having these problems.

- Grenada, MS, USA

Aug 102014

Fusion 6-cyl

I lost power steering while making a turn onto a street. The first occurrence happened about July 12 making a turn onto a busy intersection. It took me by surprise and grabbed onto the wheel so hard to gain control wheel my elbow still is sore. Pulled over, turned off the car. Started the vehicle and power steering was back. Took the vehicle to a service repair shop to run a diagnostics and they couldn't find anything wrong. Then again on August 10, happened twice. Same situation, making a turn, lost power steering. I was able to pull into a driveway. Turned off the car, restarted, and made it home. Took it to the repair shop and informed me it is the rack and pinion that needed to be for $1150 (part only) labor of course was extra. I was so upset, I did call Ford and reported the incident. I tried to make an appointment at a Ford dealer, told wait would be 2 weeks or more. After some on line research, discovered this problem is occurring, not only in the Fusion, but other Ford products like the escape. I can't believe there isn't a recall! the loss of power steering creates a dangerous situation. It is intermittent and happens unexpectedly. The wheel tightens and it takes a lot of power to turn the wheel to get to a safe spot.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Jun 062014

The first incident was at work around the beginning of June 2014, I turned on the car to leave and the "power steering assist fault" message came up and I had no power steering. I turned the car off and then back on again and everything worked. I mentioned it to the dealer and I was told not to worry about it. It happened about 5 more times over the next two months while at home and work. It would happen when I would first turn on the car, I would shut the car off and then restart the car. This last time, August 8, 2014 I was at home and turned on the car, I received the "power steering assist fault" message again. I turned my car off and then back on and it did not reset this time. I tried to restart my car 4 times and it didn't fix the problem. I called the dealer and I was told to disconnect my battery and that might help reset it. This also did not work. I had my car towed in to the dealer and I am now being told that I might need to have the power steering gear box replaced and this will be expensive. I know there are many other models of Ford cars in my year that are having this problem and I am being told by the dealer that it is not related. We will see how much Ford helps with or not.

- Valencia, CA, USA

Aug 092014

Coming out of sloped driveway - entering a main avenue - steering wheel locked. Was able to get in middle turning lane. 2 blocks from home - waited for traffic all to go by - made left turn into parking lot with. Extreme difficulty. Straightened up by backing up - made another right into parking space by backing up and inching forward and pulling on wheel to turn. Wording came up "power steering assist fault" :service advance trac". dealership put thru it's paces on the computer - could find nothing wrong - and did not charge. Keeping overnight and someone going to drive it. Never had anything like this happen and Ford should definitely be looking into this, in my opinion.

- New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA

Aug 082014

Friday I had my 3 year old and 5 year old in the car and we were pulling out into a busy highway when the steering wheel locked up and the power steering assist fault light came on. In a panic I turned the car off an on again but it didn't fix the problem and we were stranded horizontally in the middle of the road, I literally used all the strength I had and pulled it onto the side of the road. The power steering is now out all together. Is it going to take someone dying for Ford to fix this problem? my babies could have been seriously injured or worse.

- Whitney, TX, USA

Jun 142014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the service power steering light illuminated and it was very difficult to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Mcclain, MS, USA

Aug 062014

Was driving about 35 coming to a stop and power steering stopped working message appeared on dash. Service stabilitrac service power steering and tire moniter.

- Benton, KY, USA

Aug 052014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the power steering assist and the service advanced tract warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that the power steering became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the diagnosis was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,000. Updated 6/8/15

- Chaska, MN, USA

Jun 072014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 40 mph, the power steering failed and the power steering fault warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact experienced difficulty turning the steering wheel. The failure recurred multiple times. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Tecumseh, MI, USA

Feb 032014

Fusion 4-cyl

This has happened on numerous occasions but on this particular date I was driving with my two kids and as I was turning with traffic the power steering went out, it was all of a sudden and all the cars were going my same speed. I lost control of the vehicle and side swiped a car and also was rear ended because I stopped since I had no idea what was going on with my power steering. I will never again buy a Ford because when I called the dealership they had nothing to say.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Aug 042014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving 55 mph, the vehicle lost power steering with power steering at fault illuminated on the instrument panel. The steering wheel was hard to turn. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Island, KY, USA

Aug 022014

We have a had a few incidents recently with the electrical power steering in our 2011 Ford Fusion just quitting and the car being hard to turn. Most were occasions coming off a stopped or slowing position on regular Suburban roads.

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Jul 102014

I was driving approx 40 mph onto an on ramp for a highway. As I started on the ramp my steering wheel would not turn normally. It took tremendous effort to steer it. Fortunately there was a dirt road off the ramp back to the road I was on and I was able to muscle the car into a gas station less than 1/4 mile away.

- Petersburg, VA, USA

Aug 012014

My daughter was driving my car and all of a sudden power steering and advance trac system light displays on the dash, cut the car off and restarted no change. With all these complaints I pray that for do something about this, now my car is outside in the parking lot, not sure if im going to be able to pay to get it fix bc I was just laid off my job.

- Timmonsville, SC, USA

Jul 012014

My power steering in my vehicle has been going out while I drive. (very scary) it has happened approximately 4-5 times. I read the manual and it said if "assist failure" comes on, turn off the engine and let it sit for 10 seconds, then turn vehicle on to reset. The first 4-5 times it did reset after doing so. This very last time, the vehicle no longer was resetting. It remains in my driveway because the "assist failure" stays on with no power steering. I called the dealership and the gentleman that I spoke with mentioned that the 2010 has a recall out for that issue but not yet the 2011. I am very upset that I did not get any assistance with this matter due to the problem not being my fault.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Aug 012014

Driving down the road, and the check power steering light came on, and service advancetrac also. Power steering then quit working completely.

- Nappanee, IN, USA

Jun 262014

Fusion 4-cyl

First time it happened I was driving through a parking lot to the exit and my car's steering suddenly became very tight - I could not steer it, the warning chimes turned on, and a warning statement appeared on my dashboard regarding my power steering. I stopped the car. Turned it off and then turned it on and it returned to normal. Second time I was backing out of a parking spot and the same thing happened the steer suddenly became very tight - I could not steer it, the warning chimes turned on, and a warning statement appeared on my dashboard regarding my power steering. I turned the car off and then back on and it went away. I took the car to the Ford dealership that I purchased it from they diagnosed the car and told me my steering gear assembly needed replaced. Since this is a safety issue and I was afraid it would happen at higher speeds I repaired the car (I was no longer under warranty). I googled this issue and it appears this is happening a lot to others.

- Louisville, OH, USA

Jul 282014

Fusion 4-cyl

My 16 teen year old son was driving, he is only on a learners permit when the lights and chimes went off and he lost power steering. It took me and him to pull it off the road. Thank god he was on a straight away! shut the car off and it reset. Next day I am driving 50 mph when I loose power steering I manage to stop and pull off to the side of the road. Tried the turn off trick and did not work. Husband took battery cable off for 15 min, still no luck. Now it sits, it is not safe to drive, you need two people to turn the car!

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA