CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 20 of 28)

Jun 072014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 40 mph, the power steering failed and the power steering fault warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact experienced difficulty turning the steering wheel. The failure recurred multiple times. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Tecumseh, MI, USA

Feb 032014

Fusion 4-cyl

This has happened on numerous occasions but on this particular date I was driving with my two kids and as I was turning with traffic the power steering went out, it was all of a sudden and all the cars were going my same speed. I lost control of the vehicle and side swiped a car and also was rear ended because I stopped since I had no idea what was going on with my power steering. I will never again buy a Ford because when I called the dealership they had nothing to say.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Aug 042014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving 55 mph, the vehicle lost power steering with power steering at fault illuminated on the instrument panel. The steering wheel was hard to turn. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Island, KY, USA

Aug 022014

Fusion

We have a had a few incidents recently with the electrical power steering in our 2011 Ford Fusion just quitting and the car being hard to turn. Most were occasions coming off a stopped or slowing position on regular Suburban roads.

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Jul 102014

Fusion

I was driving approx 40 mph onto an on ramp for a highway. As I started on the ramp my steering wheel would not turn normally. It took tremendous effort to steer it. Fortunately there was a dirt road off the ramp back to the road I was on and I was able to muscle the car into a gas station less than 1/4 mile away.

- Petersburg, VA, USA

Aug 012014

Fusion

My daughter was driving my car and all of a sudden power steering and advance trac system light displays on the dash, cut the car off and restarted no change. With all these complaints I pray that for do something about this, now my car is outside in the parking lot, not sure if im going to be able to pay to get it fix bc I was just laid off my job.

- Timmonsville, SC, USA

Jul 012014

Fusion

My power steering in my vehicle has been going out while I drive. (very scary) it has happened approximately 4-5 times. I read the manual and it said if "assist failure" comes on, turn off the engine and let it sit for 10 seconds, then turn vehicle on to reset. The first 4-5 times it did reset after doing so. This very last time, the vehicle no longer was resetting. It remains in my driveway because the "assist failure" stays on with no power steering. I called the dealership and the gentleman that I spoke with mentioned that the 2010 has a recall out for that issue but not yet the 2011. I am very upset that I did not get any assistance with this matter due to the problem not being my fault.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Aug 012014

Fusion

Driving down the road, and the check power steering light came on, and service advancetrac also. Power steering then quit working completely.

- Nappanee, IN, USA

Jun 262014

Fusion 4-cyl

First time it happened I was driving through a parking lot to the exit and my car's steering suddenly became very tight - I could not steer it, the warning chimes turned on, and a warning statement appeared on my dashboard regarding my power steering. I stopped the car. Turned it off and then turned it on and it returned to normal. Second time I was backing out of a parking spot and the same thing happened the steer suddenly became very tight - I could not steer it, the warning chimes turned on, and a warning statement appeared on my dashboard regarding my power steering. I turned the car off and then back on and it went away. I took the car to the Ford dealership that I purchased it from they diagnosed the car and told me my steering gear assembly needed replaced. Since this is a safety issue and I was afraid it would happen at higher speeds I repaired the car (I was no longer under warranty). I googled this issue and it appears this is happening a lot to others.

- Louisville, OH, USA

Jul 282014

Fusion 4-cyl

My 16 teen year old son was driving, he is only on a learners permit when the lights and chimes went off and he lost power steering. It took me and him to pull it off the road. Thank god he was on a straight away! shut the car off and it reset. Next day I am driving 50 mph when I loose power steering I manage to stop and pull off to the side of the road. Tried the turn off trick and did not work. Husband took battery cable off for 15 min, still no luck. Now it sits, it is not safe to drive, you need two people to turn the car!

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Jul 032014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the power steering failed. The power steering assist illuminated on the instrument panel. There was a chime that sounded throughout the vehicle. The vehicle was pulled over and was turned off. The vehicle was restarted thirty minutes later. The vehicles steering wheel would not move. The vehicle was towed to the dealership. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. There was no diagnosis or repairs completed on the vehicle. The failure and current mileage was 27,542.

- New York, NY, USA

Jul 222014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving down a residential street going about 30 mph and all of the sudden 3 little dings happened while a light came up with the car that looked lop sided then on the odometer it said "power steering assist fault". I could barely turn the corner and get home. Luckily I was almost home, but by the time I got home I couldn't even turn the wheel anymore. It was terrible.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Jul 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

Over the last few weeks the steering wheel of my 2011 Fusion locks up everyday from a cold start and sometimes after being powered off for over an hour. The car works after turning it off and back on. Luckily it hasn't locked up while driving (unlike the throttle body problem which caused my car to totally stop while driving at 50mph! it was very scary!). I have read many reports that say other people with the same car have had the steering wheel lock-up while driving at a high speed. I bought the 2011 Fusion for my 17 year old to drive since we had good luck with our 2008 (with higher mileage) and 2013 Fusion. But, I will not allow her to drive the 2011 until I get this problem fixed. The Ford dealer said it will cost me $2,000 to fix the steering problem. Why is Ford not recalling the 2011 Fusion for the "power steering" problem and it is recalling other Ford models with this problem" is my 17 year old daughter not important enough to fix what is obviously a known problem with many complaints" I am upset and will end my family's 50 year family tradition of buying Ford if Ford doesn't recognize this 2011 Ford Fusion problem.

- Aurora, OH, USA

Jul 202014

Fusion

While driving down a very busy highway at 65mph I attempted to change lanes to avoid a driver that had just pulled out in front of me. When I turned the wheel, however, there was no power steering at all resulting in the turn being much slower and requiring more turning power on the steering wheel than usual. I stopped and pulled over to investigate the steering, but after recranking the car the steering returned to normal. I had the hobby shop on base check it and there was nothing wrong with it diagnosticians. However as I backed out of the hobby shop it went out again. While I avoided an accident, the sudden dramatic change in the power steering is making the car increasingly difficult to drive because it is unpredictable.

- Havelock, NC, USA

May 052012

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was restarted and resumed to normal. The failure occurred on five different occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering and that the electronic power steering assist/steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 10,000 and the current mileage was 30,000.

- Burke, VA, USA

Jul 092014

Fusion

The power steering had been failing in the car last year. Was given the run around by Ford. Finally was able to have the steering gears replaced in January for a hefty price tag, $1400. A week ago it started failing again! it fails when the car is on and being driven, then it will come back after the car is turned off and on again. Today, the power steering failed and will not come back. I am furious as I have put alot of money into the car and actually like the Fusion. I am just not enjoying this problem.

- Littlestown , PA, USA

Jul 172014

Fusion

Power steering assist fault message appeared when the car was started. Turning the engine off ad back on did not correct the problem. Car has no power steering now. I have been reading similar complaints thy have occurred while the car is in motion. Please investigate this issue before someone gets hurt or killed. A similar issue was recalled in other 2011 model Ford vehicles that had similar or the same steering system. I'm thankful the error occurred as I was pulling out of my driveway instead of on the interstate.

- Abingdon, VA, USA

Jun 252014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the power steering assist fault warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel and the power steering failed. The vehicle resumed normal operation after it was restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 84,000.

- Marengo, IL, USA

Jul 092014

Fusion 4-cyl Diesel

While my wife was driving our 2011 Ford Fusion, the "power steering assist fault" light became illuminated and she lost all power steering. She became stranded in a lane of oncoming traffic. She finally turned the vehicle off, waited a few seconds, and restarted the vehicle. The power steering finally came back and the "power steering assist fault" light shut off. After taking the vehicle into our local Ford dealership, the diagnostic recommended the epas rack be removed and replaced. This service totaled over $1,500. This failure in the power steering function is potentially life-threatening.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Jul 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

All of a sudden, my power steering froze and I got the "power steering assist fault, service advancetrac" warning light. This happened on several instances last summer, and all I had to do was stop the car, turn it off, and start it up again and there was no problem. I took this to the Ford dealership and they were unable to duplicate the problem and unable to do anything. This did not occur again over the winter, but it did again on the Thursday before memorial day. I took it to the Ford dealership, as they asked if I could bring it in with the problem, but they did not look at it. Today (July 15, 2014) I had the same instance again of the power steering freezing when I was backing out of my driveway. However, when I shut the car off and restarted it, it has not fixed the problem. I plan to take it to the dealership today, but this is a serious safety problem for the power steering to go intermittently, and I have read similar complaints on various websites. If this is a recurring problem, there ought to be a recall.

- Needham, MA, USA