Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 23 of 28)

Dec 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

I have owned this car for barely 2 years and all of a sudden I have no steering at all. If it is an extremely cold day it may work ok but other than that it doesn't work at all and is unsafe to drive. I did research and was told it is electric steering and will cost roughly $2000 to fix. This car is too new to have that kind of problem. During my search I have found many people are experiencing the exact same thing and there was an actual recall for the 2013 Fusion with this problem. Not sure why the 2011 hasn't also been recalled. I am still researching that because I definitely can't afford $2,000 out of pocket expense on my vehicle right now.

- New Ipswich, NH, USA

Mar 072014

While driving the warning message "service power steering now" appeared at which time the electric power steering went out making the car almost inoperable. After stopping and restarting the car, the steering wheel could not be turned at all. Apparently this is a "known issue" with 2010-2012 Ford Fusion and it is an extremely hazardous "known issue." It is going to cost us $2,200 to repair plus the expense of having the car shipped home; we were on vacation at the time. Why isn't this dangerous defect being recalled?

- Brighton, MI, USA

Aug 082013

Fusion 4-cyl

Bought the car on Aug 06,2013. While driving home at 60 mph on expressway RPM went from 2 to 6 at 60. Did not want to go over. Suddenly the vehicle stalled on the middle lane. No other vehicles coming. The next day returned to dealership. They said it was not their prob anymore. They had added a extended warranty and said to take it to Ford dealership. Took it they said it was the throttle body. Changed it. The next week it did the same thing again. Took it back. Said the extended warranty was void because problem was existing. Stalled @ 8 times. Car is parked at home. Still paying $400 for 72 months. Piece of junk.

- Weslaco, TX, USA

Mar 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

This should be Ford responsibility to fix I've read where there have been a lot more people with this problem costing 2000 dollars and I think this is a safety issue. And if I wreck I'm suing!!!!

- Hiawassee, GA, USA

Sep 042013

Going around a curve at about 60 mph, the steering suddenly went out. A chime sounded and the advancetrac service light came on. I was able to get to my destination within 7-8 minutes. I turned off the car and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I then restarted the car and drove home without any incident.

- Eden, NC, USA

Feb 212014

Fusion 6-cyl

Was turning into a shopping center parking lot and the power steering failed. Vehicle was extremely difficult to maneuver. Put car in park, turned off engine and restarted. Warning lights at the time of incident indicated power steering system failure. Incident occurred again on next day while driving the vehicle on the highway.

- Thibodaux, LA, USA

Mar 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

3 times the vehicle has just shut itself off when driving in traffic. I put it in gear and it then starts again. Some issues with acceleration while driving also. After having the vehicle for a few months the power steering would shut off while driving. Ford has since replaced the steering column. The problem with the car shutting itself off still exists.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Jan 282014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated. In addition, the rack and pinion and control bars became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the control bars and the module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Royal Ppond Beach , FL, USA

Feb 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

The car was parked, and when I put it on reverse to back out, there was a beeping sound that said "power steering fault" and the wheel was super hard I could not continue to drive, so I put the car on park and turned it off. Left the car, and when my husband went to get the car, it turned on fine & drive fine. Two days later the same thing. Wondering if this is a recall or this can be replaced by Ford"???" first a few months ago, the "throttle body" & now this!!!!!

- Hemet, CA, USA

Jan 282014

Fusion 4-cyl

I turned my car on, and went to reverse. The car started beeping, and a light came on. I continued to drive thinking it was because I didn't have traction in the gravel lot I was in. I didn't have any power steering and the brakes weren't working as well as normal. When I turned off the car and let it sit for a half hour, it started up and was working just fine. The warning my car gave me was to service the advanced trac.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Jan 212014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving at 35 mph when suddenly the car couldn't stay going in an straight line, the power steering still worked. I turned off the engine and when started again a warning message appeared in the dashboard saying "service advancetrac" and "service power steering now." At that time I lost the power steering I it was really hard to turn. I took the car to the dealership and they told me that the power steering rack had to be replaced, the problem is in the electronics but since the electronics are inside the rack, the entire part has to be replaced costing me $1960 because my warranty expired last month. This issue have to be recalled by Ford. It's so frustrating that for such a common problem (google "Ford Fusion steering problem") the customer is the one that pays for their mistakes.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Dec 272013

Fusion 6-cyl

Lost power steering. Took it to the Ford dealer the next day. Was told the rack & pinion needed to be replaced. Was told not covered under warranty and the dealer wanted to charge me $1136 for the part and $450 to install. Had the error code erased and was able to drive it for about a week before losing power steering again. Found the part at a local auto parts store for $476 and if I return the defective part I get $170 back. After researching this issue it seems other Ford Fusion owners are having the same problem & Ford is recalling the 2013 for the same reason.

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jan 042014

Ran into the store left car running when I came out the traction light was on and an error code stating service advancetrac soon and service power steering soon was on. I drove less than a mile home at low speed and the power steering was seeming to get a bit tight. About an hour later I went back to the car started it up and the error code said service power steering now and I had complete loss of power steering.

- Braddock, PA, USA

Dec 282013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving down the road at about 35 mph ironically headed to an auto store when the warning light came on. The warning said "service advancetrac" and "service power steering now." I had my wife and kids with me at the time, and it could have been very dangerous if there was an accident. Luckily I was driving at the time because the wheel was so hard to turn that my wife would not have been able to turn it. I then took it to the shop where only a Ford mechanic can order the part to the price of $1,300 not including labor. I thought I was buying a reliable car but I was wrong. What car's power steering goes out shortly after the warranty does and has to be taken to the dealership where only a Ford mechanic can fix it? a Ford Fusion. It looks like they wanted more money and made a cheap car that would break down so you had to take it back to them.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA

Dec 282013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact was driving 20 mph when the power steering warning light illuminated simultaneously as the power steering failed. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic for inspection. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Pawtucket, RI, USA

Dec 052013

My wife was driving and lost power steering advance trac warning and service power steering now went on. She went into on coming traffic luckily no accident. Took it to Ford dealer est cost was 2800 dollars for new rack for steering. Was told the internals were damaged. Not happy and I wasn't sure that was the problem. Argued with them and told them they were wrong and refused repair but was still charged a diagnosis fee. Brought car home and took the wheels off and cleaned every thing that has to do with steering and traction. I now have power steering. Bad design on this car the sensors will pick up a problem and turn items off to protect them from overheating. I hope this helps others don't trust your Ford dealer they will take you for the most expensive item.

- Almont, MI, USA

Dec 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was turning and suddenly the steering became very stiff and hard to turn. The message on the dash is showing "service the power steering now".

- Bloomfield, MI, USA

Nov 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was going about 55 mph and lost all steering ability, the service powersteering now light came on and I lost all ability to steer. I almost crashed. Also along with that message another message saying to service advance trac now. The power steering is a total lost. I tried turning the car off and there is nothing. Also about 3000 miles ago the same message with the service advance trac with a message saying powersteering fault. Then I turned the car off and it was fine up until the last incident.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Aug 222013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was turning when my steering locked up and steering failure light lit on my dash. I lost control of my steering and could have crashed.

- Union City, NJ, USA

Nov 112013

Purchased the vehicle used apprx 3 months ago. Twice in the 3500 miles we have put on it, the power steering has cut out while driving. After taking it to our local Ford dealership, we were told the steering gears need replaced and will cost us almost $1500. None of which is covered under the warranty that came with the vehicle. After contacting Ford customer assistance, we have been told that there are "not enough complaints" to warrant a recall. I do not think this is something we, the customer, should be held responsible for paying for as it is a manufacturers defect. How many complaints do they need? it's a safety issue and Ford needs to step up and take care of it.

- Littlestown, PA, USA