CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 23 of 28)

Apr 292014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving at 35 mph, and slowing down to about 25 mph to make a right hand turn to enter a merge lane, and my Fusion's message center flashed "service advancetrac" and "service power steering now" messages, followed by the audible chimes. I noticed a failure of the power steering system, and it required great strength and effort to get the vehicle to turn right to enter the merge lane, almost took me into the standard lane. Steering was extremely difficult from that point on, especially at low speeds. Ford dealer diagnosed the issue, said the pscm had failed. They had to replace the steering rack because all the electronics are integrated into it.

- Enid, OK, USA

Apr 242014

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving in rain approximately 40 mph on two lane blacktop highway chiming started then error codes, "service advancetrac" & "service power steering now" warnings displayed on dash. Steering became extremely hard to maneuver continued to drive the vehicle approximately 10 more minutes. I then turned the vehicle off and let the vehicle sit for an hour. I never pulled key from ignition. I restarted the vehicle, steering became even more difficult to maneuver. I drove my car approximately 2 more miles and then shut the vehicle off again. I waited approximately 2 more hours this time before restarting my vehicle. The steering wheel became almost impossible to turn. I experienced an extremely unsafe vehicle while driving approximately 25 to 35 mph for 12 miles to reach my destination. This vehicle was then parked and will be towed to a repair facility to trouble shoot this safety issue. I have two young daughters that are in this vehicle on a regular basis and I am tremendously concerned for their safety and that of others who could be harmed if this incident should happen again while driving. I drive 900 miles a week to and from my job. I can not morally put others at risk and after seeing so many complaints online, I believe that this is a severe safety issue that Ford Motor Company should be financially responsible for and address in a timely fashion by recalling and repairing any necessary parts and labor before a serious injury or fatality occurs.

- Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

Apr 172014

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the power steering and stabilitrac warning lights illuminated and the vehicle became difficult to steer. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found the power steering pump and rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000. Updated 6/10/14

- Fort Meade, FL, USA

Jan 012014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized without warning. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the dealer stated that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 22,000 and current mileage was 94,189.

- Freemont , CA, USA

Apr 092014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was on my way to work my son was driving me when the power steering service light came on within 10 minutes after it came on my steering wheel locked had no power steering at all if I had been driving or my daughter we would of not been able to handle the car. I bought my Fusion just 2 years ago and I have no issues with it until now and I get the first warning light and then no power steering. I have seen other consumer complaints with the same issue as me and I am not understanding why Ford has not done anything about this problem its to new of a car for something this major to go wrong with it. It is a safety issue and then the Ford dealership wants to tell me that its going to cost me $1,624 to fix when in my eyes its their problem something is going on with the 2011 Ford Fusion power steering it should not be going out after just a few years.

- Russellville, KY, USA

Sep 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering went out on the vehicle on several occasions, both while driving and sitting at a stop. The steering wheel would not be able to turn, thus the vehicle would not turn. "power steering assist failure" warning came on during all occasions. Power steering would come back on after turning the car off, but eventually totally went out. The vehicle had to be towed to a local Ford dealership so the electronic power steering rack could be replaced. Luckily my wife was not in heavy traffic during occasions when power steering went out, otherwise the situations could have been very bad. Our toddler was in the car during all occasions as well. I have seen countless other stories on online forums about the power steering failing in 2011 Ford Fusion. There has just been a massive recall for GM vehicles involving the electronic power steering, perhaps they are related. Please help in this matter. Ford needs to address this problem and issue a recall. Hopefully Ford isn't hiding and running from this problem due to money, as we had to pay $1,800 for the repair. Thank you.

- Glen Carbon, IL, USA

Feb 242014

Fusion

We were driving an the steering wheel locked nd wr lost control of ca and hit a pole. My husband not an injury on his leg and inner thigh and some of us openwound from glasswa.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

Mar 262014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle became difficult to steer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Apex, NC, USA

Dec 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

I have owned this car for barely 2 years and all of a sudden I have no steering at all. If it is an extremely cold day it may work ok but other than that it doesn't work at all and is unsafe to drive. I did research and was told it is electric steering and will cost roughly $2000 to fix. This car is too new to have that kind of problem. During my search I have found many people are experiencing the exact same thing and there was an actual recall for the 2013 Fusion with this problem. Not sure why the 2011 hasn't also been recalled. I am still researching that because I definitely can't afford $2,000 out of pocket expense on my vehicle right now.

- New Ipswich, NH, USA

Mar 072014

Fusion

While driving the warning message "service power steering now" appeared at which time the electric power steering went out making the car almost inoperable. After stopping and restarting the car, the steering wheel could not be turned at all. Apparently this is a "known issue" with 2010-2012 Ford Fusion and it is an extremely hazardous "known issue." It is going to cost us $2,200 to repair plus the expense of having the car shipped home; we were on vacation at the time. Why isn't this dangerous defect being recalled?

- Brighton, MI, USA

Aug 082013

Fusion 4-cyl

Bought the car on Aug 06,2013. While driving home at 60 mph on expressway RPM went from 2 to 6 at 60. Did not want to go over. Suddenly the vehicle stalled on the middle lane. No other vehicles coming. The next day returned to dealership. They said it was not their prob anymore. They had added a extended warranty and said to take it to Ford dealership. Took it they said it was the throttle body. Changed it. The next week it did the same thing again. Took it back. Said the extended warranty was void because problem was existing. Stalled @ 8 times. Car is parked at home. Still paying $400 for 72 months. Piece of junk.

- Weslaco, TX, USA

Mar 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

This should be Ford responsibility to fix I've read where there have been a lot more people with this problem costing 2000 dollars and I think this is a safety issue. And if I wreck I'm suing!!!!

- Hiawassee, GA, USA

Sep 042013

Fusion

Going around a curve at about 60 mph, the steering suddenly went out. A chime sounded and the advancetrac service light came on. I was able to get to my destination within 7-8 minutes. I turned off the car and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I then restarted the car and drove home without any incident.

- Eden, NC, USA

Feb 212014

Fusion 6-cyl

Was turning into a shopping center parking lot and the power steering failed. Vehicle was extremely difficult to maneuver. Put car in park, turned off engine and restarted. Warning lights at the time of incident indicated power steering system failure. Incident occurred again on next day while driving the vehicle on the highway.

- Thibodaux, LA, USA

Mar 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

3 times the vehicle has just shut itself off when driving in traffic. I put it in gear and it then starts again. Some issues with acceleration while driving also. After having the vehicle for a few months the power steering would shut off while driving. Ford has since replaced the steering column. The problem with the car shutting itself off still exists.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Jan 282014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated. In addition, the rack and pinion and control bars became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the control bars and the module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Royal Ppond Beach , FL, USA

Feb 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

The car was parked, and when I put it on reverse to back out, there was a beeping sound that said "power steering fault" and the wheel was super hard I could not continue to drive, so I put the car on park and turned it off. Left the car, and when my husband went to get the car, it turned on fine & drive fine. Two days later the same thing. Wondering if this is a recall or this can be replaced by Ford"???" first a few months ago, the "throttle body" & now this!!!!!

- Hemet, CA, USA

Jan 282014

Fusion 4-cyl

I turned my car on, and went to reverse. The car started beeping, and a light came on. I continued to drive thinking it was because I didn't have traction in the gravel lot I was in. I didn't have any power steering and the brakes weren't working as well as normal. When I turned off the car and let it sit for a half hour, it started up and was working just fine. The warning my car gave me was to service the advanced trac.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Jan 212014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving at 35 mph when suddenly the car couldn't stay going in an straight line, the power steering still worked. I turned off the engine and when started again a warning message appeared in the dashboard saying "service advancetrac" and "service power steering now." At that time I lost the power steering I it was really hard to turn. I took the car to the dealership and they told me that the power steering rack had to be replaced, the problem is in the electronics but since the electronics are inside the rack, the entire part has to be replaced costing me $1960 because my warranty expired last month. This issue have to be recalled by Ford. It's so frustrating that for such a common problem (google "Ford Fusion steering problem") the customer is the one that pays for their mistakes.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Dec 272013

Fusion 6-cyl

Lost power steering. Took it to the Ford dealer the next day. Was told the rack & pinion needed to be replaced. Was told not covered under warranty and the dealer wanted to charge me $1136 for the part and $450 to install. Had the error code erased and was able to drive it for about a week before losing power steering again. Found the part at a local auto parts store for $476 and if I return the defective part I get $170 back. After researching this issue it seems other Ford Fusion owners are having the same problem & Ford is recalling the 2013 for the same reason.

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA