CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 24 of 28)

Jan 042014

Fusion

Ran into the store left car running when I came out the traction light was on and an error code stating service advancetrac soon and service power steering soon was on. I drove less than a mile home at low speed and the power steering was seeming to get a bit tight. About an hour later I went back to the car started it up and the error code said service power steering now and I had complete loss of power steering.

- Braddock, PA, USA

Dec 282013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving down the road at about 35 mph ironically headed to an auto store when the warning light came on. The warning said "service advancetrac" and "service power steering now." I had my wife and kids with me at the time, and it could have been very dangerous if there was an accident. Luckily I was driving at the time because the wheel was so hard to turn that my wife would not have been able to turn it. I then took it to the shop where only a Ford mechanic can order the part to the price of $1,300 not including labor. I thought I was buying a reliable car but I was wrong. What car's power steering goes out shortly after the warranty does and has to be taken to the dealership where only a Ford mechanic can fix it? a Ford Fusion. It looks like they wanted more money and made a cheap car that would break down so you had to take it back to them.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA

Dec 282013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact was driving 20 mph when the power steering warning light illuminated simultaneously as the power steering failed. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic for inspection. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Pawtucket, RI, USA

Dec 052013

Fusion

My wife was driving and lost power steering advance trac warning and service power steering now went on. She went into on coming traffic luckily no accident. Took it to Ford dealer est cost was 2800 dollars for new rack for steering. Was told the internals were damaged. Not happy and I wasn't sure that was the problem. Argued with them and told them they were wrong and refused repair but was still charged a diagnosis fee. Brought car home and took the wheels off and cleaned every thing that has to do with steering and traction. I now have power steering. Bad design on this car the sensors will pick up a problem and turn items off to protect them from overheating. I hope this helps others don't trust your Ford dealer they will take you for the most expensive item.

- Almont, MI, USA

Dec 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was turning and suddenly the steering became very stiff and hard to turn. The message on the dash is showing "service the power steering now".

- Bloomfield, MI, USA

Nov 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was going about 55 mph and lost all steering ability, the service powersteering now light came on and I lost all ability to steer. I almost crashed. Also along with that message another message saying to service advance trac now. The power steering is a total lost. I tried turning the car off and there is nothing. Also about 3000 miles ago the same message with the service advance trac with a message saying powersteering fault. Then I turned the car off and it was fine up until the last incident.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Aug 222013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was turning when my steering locked up and steering failure light lit on my dash. I lost control of my steering and could have crashed.

- Union City, NJ, USA

Nov 112013

Fusion

Purchased the vehicle used apprx 3 months ago. Twice in the 3500 miles we have put on it, the power steering has cut out while driving. After taking it to our local Ford dealership, we were told the steering gears need replaced and will cost us almost $1500. None of which is covered under the warranty that came with the vehicle. After contacting Ford customer assistance, we have been told that there are "not enough complaints" to warrant a recall. I do not think this is something we, the customer, should be held responsible for paying for as it is a manufacturers defect. How many complaints do they need? it's a safety issue and Ford needs to step up and take care of it.

- Littlestown, PA, USA

Nov 202013

Power steering failure.

- Hurley, NY, USA

Nov 132013

Fusion 4-cyl

Traveling at 55mph, when the service power steering now and advance trac light came on, , no power steering, ,made it home, , tried it again in the morning still no power steering, had it towed to a Ford dealer, who said they cleared the codes and cant duplicate the problem, , the 4 codes stored were P07ae, U0415, , C1277, , C1963, , we live a rural area with no guard rails and between 20 to 150 foot drop offs, , if this would have happened to the wife, , which is her car to drive, , she wouldn't be able to steer this vehicle, , took me all I had to get it home, , not very confidant on letting her drive this car, , Ford needs to resolve this problem.

- Elroy, WI, USA

Oct 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

When starting my car the power steering assist warning was displayed. When I shut the car back off and restarted it the problem went away. This happened about 3 times in about 3000 miles. About the fourth time this happened, shutting it off did not correct the problem. Service advancetrac was now also displayed. The car has no power steering or advancetrac at this time. The codes that were stored in the computer were for the pinion sensor failure. This sensor is used by both systems and is not replaceable by itself. The entire rack and pinion needs to be changed. The quote from my dealer was about $1400.

- Seville , OH, USA

Oct 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on the interstate and about to exit off of the interstate when my power steering locked up. I was able to pull my steering wheel enough to get off of the interstate and onto the shoulder but could not turn my steering back and forth. I turned my car off and when I turned the car back on I was able to move my steering wheel. I have had this car since it was brand new and I have serviced it on a regular basis. The car is a 2011 with only 50,000 miles on the vehicle. I was able to get the car safely to the shoulder but could have ended had a very bad accident. I am now fearful to drive the car.

- Durham, NC, USA

Oct 102013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving at about 45 mph the car chimed and posted a warning on the display. It told me to check the power steering. The power steering was still working so I continued driving. Once I came upon a stop light I turned the vehicle off to try and clear the code. When I turned the vehicle back on it chimed again and then posted a service steering now warning. I proceeded from the traffic light and made a right hand turn onto another road. The power steering was gone and the vehicle was very hard to turn. I had the vehicle towed to the Ford dealership and they claim the problem is a steering gear and will cost $1700 to replace it.

- Milford, MI, USA

Sep 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

Backing out of my garage, started hearing warning sounds going off, message board scrolled the following: Power steering system fault. I was unable to steer my vehicle at all. I had to have the car towed to a car repair shop. After a few days of trying to get the computer to read my car to see what was wrong, the car repair shop had to tow my car over to a Ford dealer who was able to tell the mechanic that my entire steering system was out and needed to be replaced. Not only that, this particular part can only be purchased from Ford and the part alone cost $1105.26. This is very much a safety issue and this should be recalled. A couple of days prior to this incident I was driving down 24 hwy going between 40 and 45 mph when this first occurred and I finally found myself in the middle of a heavily traffic area not able to steer my vehicle to the left or right. I was concerned with getting off the road in a safe manor. Thankfully I was able to coast my vehicle to a stopping point, read my manual and discover a resetting processing. It worked and I was able to make it home. Unfortunately, the reset process did not work this last time. I contacted Ford and they did not offer any help, only stated there was no recall on this device and that my warranty was no longer valid and I had no extra coverage. Ford should be forced to recall this system since so many people around the country are having an issue with this system. There is no way the steering system should go out within 60 thousand miles. I would appreciate an investigation into this issue and a response to my complaint.

- Kansas City , MO, USA

Sep 042013

Fusion 6-cyl

The steering suddenly went out as I was in the middle of a curving driving about 58-60 mph. A chime sounded and the advancetrac service light came on. I was able to get to my destination within 7-8 minutes. I turned off the car and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I then restarted the car and drove home without any incident.

- Eden, NC, USA

Sep 182013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving in town at approximately 35mph on 9/18/13, the following message appeared in the instrument cluster display "service advancetrak" and "power steering assist fault". at that moment, the car did not have power steering. I pulled over and shut off the car and restarted it and the car worked normally for a few blocks then did the same sequence again. As of this morning 9/19/13, the power steering is working fine.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Sep 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

While traveling at a speed of approx 35 mph, the I received a vehicle warning on the dash of "power steering assist fault/service advance trac system". the vehicle became hard to maneuver and appeared to revert back to manual steering. Drove approximately another 2.5 miles and turned car off. Upon restart steering returned to normal. Drove vehicle to dealership and was told possible faulty electrical steering sensor and mayneed total steering system replaced. Waiting for final diagnoses at this time.

- Reston, VA, USA

Sep 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

Leaving work on my way home it was fine. I proceeded to get onto the express way, as I went to change lanes the steering got really hard to turn after 10 miles down the road the power steering assist light came on. I pulled to the side of the road to check any fuses but were all good. I then tried to figure out how to reset it. I tried a few but the one that work for me was turning the car off then turn the key to the on position put it in neutral while in neutral turn the key to the off position then put the car in park then start it up and it worked. Then it started doing it again. I think this is a very dangerous component to put on a car, because it goes out while driving.

- Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Jul 182013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 25 mph, the vehicle became difficult to steer and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 52,600.

- Bonneterre, MO, USA

Aug 262013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while attempting to start the vehicle, the power steering warning light illuminated as the steering wheel failed and tightened. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Westminster, MD, USA