CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 24 of 28)

Sep 042013

Fusion

Going around a curve at about 60 mph, the steering suddenly went out. A chime sounded and the advancetrac service light came on. I was able to get to my destination within 7-8 minutes. I turned off the car and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I then restarted the car and drove home without any incident.

- Eden, NC, USA

Feb 212014

Fusion 6-cyl

Was turning into a shopping center parking lot and the power steering failed. Vehicle was extremely difficult to maneuver. Put car in park, turned off engine and restarted. Warning lights at the time of incident indicated power steering system failure. Incident occurred again on next day while driving the vehicle on the highway.

- Thibodaux, LA, USA

Mar 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

3 times the vehicle has just shut itself off when driving in traffic. I put it in gear and it then starts again. Some issues with acceleration while driving also. After having the vehicle for a few months the power steering would shut off while driving. Ford has since replaced the steering column. The problem with the car shutting itself off still exists.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Jan 282014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated. In addition, the rack and pinion and control bars became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the control bars and the module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Royal Ppond Beach , FL, USA

Feb 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

The car was parked, and when I put it on reverse to back out, there was a beeping sound that said "power steering fault" and the wheel was super hard I could not continue to drive, so I put the car on park and turned it off. Left the car, and when my husband went to get the car, it turned on fine & drive fine. Two days later the same thing. Wondering if this is a recall or this can be replaced by Ford"???" first a few months ago, the "throttle body" & now this!!!!!

- Hemet, CA, USA

Jan 282014

Fusion 4-cyl

I turned my car on, and went to reverse. The car started beeping, and a light came on. I continued to drive thinking it was because I didn't have traction in the gravel lot I was in. I didn't have any power steering and the brakes weren't working as well as normal. When I turned off the car and let it sit for a half hour, it started up and was working just fine. The warning my car gave me was to service the advanced trac.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Jan 212014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving at 35 mph when suddenly the car couldn't stay going in an straight line, the power steering still worked. I turned off the engine and when started again a warning message appeared in the dashboard saying "service advancetrac" and "service power steering now." At that time I lost the power steering I it was really hard to turn. I took the car to the dealership and they told me that the power steering rack had to be replaced, the problem is in the electronics but since the electronics are inside the rack, the entire part has to be replaced costing me $1960 because my warranty expired last month. This issue have to be recalled by Ford. It's so frustrating that for such a common problem (google "Ford Fusion steering problem") the customer is the one that pays for their mistakes.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Dec 272013

Fusion 6-cyl

Lost power steering. Took it to the Ford dealer the next day. Was told the rack & pinion needed to be replaced. Was told not covered under warranty and the dealer wanted to charge me $1136 for the part and $450 to install. Had the error code erased and was able to drive it for about a week before losing power steering again. Found the part at a local auto parts store for $476 and if I return the defective part I get $170 back. After researching this issue it seems other Ford Fusion owners are having the same problem & Ford is recalling the 2013 for the same reason.

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jan 042014

Fusion

Ran into the store left car running when I came out the traction light was on and an error code stating service advancetrac soon and service power steering soon was on. I drove less than a mile home at low speed and the power steering was seeming to get a bit tight. About an hour later I went back to the car started it up and the error code said service power steering now and I had complete loss of power steering.

- Braddock, PA, USA

Dec 282013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving down the road at about 35 mph ironically headed to an auto store when the warning light came on. The warning said "service advancetrac" and "service power steering now." I had my wife and kids with me at the time, and it could have been very dangerous if there was an accident. Luckily I was driving at the time because the wheel was so hard to turn that my wife would not have been able to turn it. I then took it to the shop where only a Ford mechanic can order the part to the price of $1,300 not including labor. I thought I was buying a reliable car but I was wrong. What car's power steering goes out shortly after the warranty does and has to be taken to the dealership where only a Ford mechanic can fix it? a Ford Fusion. It looks like they wanted more money and made a cheap car that would break down so you had to take it back to them.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA

Dec 282013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact was driving 20 mph when the power steering warning light illuminated simultaneously as the power steering failed. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic for inspection. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Pawtucket, RI, USA

Dec 052013

Fusion

My wife was driving and lost power steering advance trac warning and service power steering now went on. She went into on coming traffic luckily no accident. Took it to Ford dealer est cost was 2800 dollars for new rack for steering. Was told the internals were damaged. Not happy and I wasn't sure that was the problem. Argued with them and told them they were wrong and refused repair but was still charged a diagnosis fee. Brought car home and took the wheels off and cleaned every thing that has to do with steering and traction. I now have power steering. Bad design on this car the sensors will pick up a problem and turn items off to protect them from overheating. I hope this helps others don't trust your Ford dealer they will take you for the most expensive item.

- Almont, MI, USA

Dec 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was turning and suddenly the steering became very stiff and hard to turn. The message on the dash is showing "service the power steering now".

- Bloomfield, MI, USA

Nov 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was going about 55 mph and lost all steering ability, the service powersteering now light came on and I lost all ability to steer. I almost crashed. Also along with that message another message saying to service advance trac now. The power steering is a total lost. I tried turning the car off and there is nothing. Also about 3000 miles ago the same message with the service advance trac with a message saying powersteering fault. Then I turned the car off and it was fine up until the last incident.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Aug 222013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was turning when my steering locked up and steering failure light lit on my dash. I lost control of my steering and could have crashed.

- Union City, NJ, USA

Nov 112013

Fusion

Purchased the vehicle used apprx 3 months ago. Twice in the 3500 miles we have put on it, the power steering has cut out while driving. After taking it to our local Ford dealership, we were told the steering gears need replaced and will cost us almost $1500. None of which is covered under the warranty that came with the vehicle. After contacting Ford customer assistance, we have been told that there are "not enough complaints" to warrant a recall. I do not think this is something we, the customer, should be held responsible for paying for as it is a manufacturers defect. How many complaints do they need? it's a safety issue and Ford needs to step up and take care of it.

- Littlestown, PA, USA

Nov 202013

Power steering failure.

- Hurley, NY, USA

Nov 132013

Fusion 4-cyl

Traveling at 55mph, when the service power steering now and advance trac light came on, , no power steering, ,made it home, , tried it again in the morning still no power steering, had it towed to a Ford dealer, who said they cleared the codes and cant duplicate the problem, , the 4 codes stored were P07ae, U0415, , C1277, , C1963, , we live a rural area with no guard rails and between 20 to 150 foot drop offs, , if this would have happened to the wife, , which is her car to drive, , she wouldn't be able to steer this vehicle, , took me all I had to get it home, , not very confidant on letting her drive this car, , Ford needs to resolve this problem.

- Elroy, WI, USA

Oct 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

When starting my car the power steering assist warning was displayed. When I shut the car back off and restarted it the problem went away. This happened about 3 times in about 3000 miles. About the fourth time this happened, shutting it off did not correct the problem. Service advancetrac was now also displayed. The car has no power steering or advancetrac at this time. The codes that were stored in the computer were for the pinion sensor failure. This sensor is used by both systems and is not replaceable by itself. The entire rack and pinion needs to be changed. The quote from my dealer was about $1400.

- Seville , OH, USA

Oct 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on the interstate and about to exit off of the interstate when my power steering locked up. I was able to pull my steering wheel enough to get off of the interstate and onto the shoulder but could not turn my steering back and forth. I turned my car off and when I turned the car back on I was able to move my steering wheel. I have had this car since it was brand new and I have serviced it on a regular basis. The car is a 2011 with only 50,000 miles on the vehicle. I was able to get the car safely to the shoulder but could have ended had a very bad accident. I am now fearful to drive the car.

- Durham, NC, USA