Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 24 of 28)

Oct 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

When starting my car the power steering assist warning was displayed. When I shut the car back off and restarted it the problem went away. This happened about 3 times in about 3000 miles. About the fourth time this happened, shutting it off did not correct the problem. Service advancetrac was now also displayed. The car has no power steering or advancetrac at this time. The codes that were stored in the computer were for the pinion sensor failure. This sensor is used by both systems and is not replaceable by itself. The entire rack and pinion needs to be changed. The quote from my dealer was about $1400.

- Seville , OH, USA

Oct 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on the interstate and about to exit off of the interstate when my power steering locked up. I was able to pull my steering wheel enough to get off of the interstate and onto the shoulder but could not turn my steering back and forth. I turned my car off and when I turned the car back on I was able to move my steering wheel. I have had this car since it was brand new and I have serviced it on a regular basis. The car is a 2011 with only 50,000 miles on the vehicle. I was able to get the car safely to the shoulder but could have ended had a very bad accident. I am now fearful to drive the car.

- Durham, NC, USA

Oct 102013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving at about 45 mph the car chimed and posted a warning on the display. It told me to check the power steering. The power steering was still working so I continued driving. Once I came upon a stop light I turned the vehicle off to try and clear the code. When I turned the vehicle back on it chimed again and then posted a service steering now warning. I proceeded from the traffic light and made a right hand turn onto another road. The power steering was gone and the vehicle was very hard to turn. I had the vehicle towed to the Ford dealership and they claim the problem is a steering gear and will cost $1700 to replace it.

- Milford, MI, USA

Sep 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

Backing out of my garage, started hearing warning sounds going off, message board scrolled the following: Power steering system fault. I was unable to steer my vehicle at all. I had to have the car towed to a car repair shop. After a few days of trying to get the computer to read my car to see what was wrong, the car repair shop had to tow my car over to a Ford dealer who was able to tell the mechanic that my entire steering system was out and needed to be replaced. Not only that, this particular part can only be purchased from Ford and the part alone cost $1105.26. This is very much a safety issue and this should be recalled. A couple of days prior to this incident I was driving down 24 hwy going between 40 and 45 mph when this first occurred and I finally found myself in the middle of a heavily traffic area not able to steer my vehicle to the left or right. I was concerned with getting off the road in a safe manor. Thankfully I was able to coast my vehicle to a stopping point, read my manual and discover a resetting processing. It worked and I was able to make it home. Unfortunately, the reset process did not work this last time. I contacted Ford and they did not offer any help, only stated there was no recall on this device and that my warranty was no longer valid and I had no extra coverage. Ford should be forced to recall this system since so many people around the country are having an issue with this system. There is no way the steering system should go out within 60 thousand miles. I would appreciate an investigation into this issue and a response to my complaint.

- Kansas City , MO, USA

Sep 042013

Fusion 6-cyl

The steering suddenly went out as I was in the middle of a curving driving about 58-60 mph. A chime sounded and the advancetrac service light came on. I was able to get to my destination within 7-8 minutes. I turned off the car and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I then restarted the car and drove home without any incident.

- Eden, NC, USA

Sep 182013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving in town at approximately 35mph on 9/18/13, the following message appeared in the instrument cluster display "service advancetrak" and "power steering assist fault". at that moment, the car did not have power steering. I pulled over and shut off the car and restarted it and the car worked normally for a few blocks then did the same sequence again. As of this morning 9/19/13, the power steering is working fine.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Sep 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

While traveling at a speed of approx 35 mph, the I received a vehicle warning on the dash of "power steering assist fault/service advance trac system". the vehicle became hard to maneuver and appeared to revert back to manual steering. Drove approximately another 2.5 miles and turned car off. Upon restart steering returned to normal. Drove vehicle to dealership and was told possible faulty electrical steering sensor and mayneed total steering system replaced. Waiting for final diagnoses at this time.

- Reston, VA, USA

Sep 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

Leaving work on my way home it was fine. I proceeded to get onto the express way, as I went to change lanes the steering got really hard to turn after 10 miles down the road the power steering assist light came on. I pulled to the side of the road to check any fuses but were all good. I then tried to figure out how to reset it. I tried a few but the one that work for me was turning the car off then turn the key to the on position put it in neutral while in neutral turn the key to the off position then put the car in park then start it up and it worked. Then it started doing it again. I think this is a very dangerous component to put on a car, because it goes out while driving.

- Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Jul 182013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 25 mph, the vehicle became difficult to steer and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 52,600.

- Bonneterre, MO, USA

Aug 262013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while attempting to start the vehicle, the power steering warning light illuminated as the steering wheel failed and tightened. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Westminster, MD, USA

Sep 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving approx 25 mph and power steering shut down without warning. I narrowly missed hitting another car. Pulled car over (with great difficulty). An error message appeared "power steering assist fault" and "service advance trac." I turned car off for a minute and restarted. Message was gone and car seemed to drive ok. I was one minute away from a major arterial street (50 mph limit) and could have been killed if this happened there!!

- Naperville, IL, USA

Aug 102013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving about 40 mph when the service advance trac alarm came on. It said service power steering. When I came to a stop and turned off the vehicle, my Fusion had no power steering whatsoever and I could not even turn the wheel. So I had it towed to the nearest Ford dealership. They first replaced the steering gear assembly which three days later it went out again! I took it back to the dealer where they said it was a glitch in the sensor so they manually reset everything. Well that fixed the problem for maybe 2 days, and it went out on me again. Also, there was a piece of plastic that the dealership failed to put on correctly, thus resulting in the piece of plastic dragging the ground and broke off while I was driving. Nearly scared me to death. They replaced the ABS module and that also did not fix the problem. So I am now at a standstill and I refuse to be humiliated with this situation. Ford has to fix my car or give me a new one because this is completely ridiculous. If this isn't a recall on this model then it should be because there is no way this car should have this problem in the three years I have had it. I am very frustrated with this dealership and also with Ford. Help!

- Chapmanville, WV, USA

Aug 272013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the trac control and power steering warning indicators illuminated followed by a complete loss of the power steering. The steering wheel became extremely difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who informed the contact that the failure was contributed to the electronic steering gear. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Muscatine, IA, USA

Aug 072013

On three separate occasions within the last two weeks, (two while pulling out of my driveway, and once while leaving work), my steering has "locked" on me. The code that appeared on the dash was power steering assist fault. Not being too sure of what this was about we took it to the dealer who told us it was the rack and pinion that had gone out. The dealer then stated in order to fix it the rocker arms as well as the rack and pinion would have to be replaced to the tune of 2700 in repairs, that was not including labor and tax. While our vehicle is still under warranty, I feel this should be part of the power train, as without steering you cannot drive. This is also a huge safety issue. I cannot imagine how this would have gone if I had been in traffic, let alone if my children had been in the car. I have seen how many complaints there is about this situation. When will there be results?

- Copperas Cove , TX, USA

Aug 162013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving down the freeway at 70mph on a straight section of road the power steering assist fault and advance trac fault appeared on the dash and the steering wheel became very stiff (difficult to turn). This has happened a total of 4 times, once about a month ago, and twice on the 16th. 3 were on the freeway and the fourth upon starting the car later on the 16th. Every time it was reset by turning the car off and letting it sit for a minute and restarting.

- Shelby Twp, MI, USA

Jul 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering stopped working and the dashboard displayed that the power steering fault assembly malfunctioned and the advance track light came on. Vehicle was unresponsive and difficult to maneuver.

- Glen Rock, PA, USA

Aug 172013

Fusion 6-cyl

Vehicle's power steering failed when shifting vehicle into reverse. "power assist" and "advancetrac" notifications appeared on dash. Fluid normal and no visual defects. Turned off and restarted vehicle, and power steering returned. Internet searches revealed this to be a common problem with no certain solution.

- South Euclid, OH, USA

Jun 282013

Fusion 6-cyl

The message center displayed "power steering assist fail" and the power steering to my car stopped functioning. Research as to what may have caused this resulted in numerous instances of this fault reported by other Ford owners with the same model year and the same approximate mileage. This is a serious safety issue and should be acknowledged by Ford and a recall be initiated.

- Ogdensburg, NY, USA

Aug 122013

Accelerating modestly from 4 way stop, the power steering just went out. There was a beeping noise and the dash read "power steering assist fault, service advancetrac". could be very dangerous on any sort of turn. Very difficult to steer vehicle at that point.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

Dash board reports power steering assist fault. Difficulty steering. Drive to parking place. Turn car off. Two hours later return to car. Turn on car and the power steering is ok. Second fault at 46045 miles. Car was parked. Turn car on. Power steering assist fault. Turn car off. Turn car on. Power steering ok.

- Concord, MA, USA