CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 26 of 28)

Jul 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering stopped working, and brakes acting up, very hard to drive to the side of the road and stop. Warning lights came on for power steering default and service advancetrac. Took my Fusion to the Ford dealer in grand haven, mi. To see what the problem was. Without looking at my car they said they couldn't help me, came back to my daughters home. This has happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks, when I shut the car off for awhile, it seems to correct itself. But there is no way of telling when it will happen again. I'm visiting from Pennsylvania in Michigan, and I guess I'm suppose to take the chance of driving my car the 700 miles to pa without it happening again!! considering all the comments I have seen on the internet about the same issues with other Fusion, it would seem to me that Ford might take a look at the problem and help their customers. I wondered about the Ford dealer, if he noticed my pa. Plates and I'm 77 years old, and that was that!! I hope not! right now I'm still in Michigan, deciding what to do?

- Nunica, MI, USA

Jul 032013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on the expressway at approximately 60 mph, power steering stopped working. Vehicle display flashed power steering failure alternating with service advance track. The problem has recurred multiple times under similar conditions, and recently happened on a turn. Took vehicle to dealer on 7/3/13. They could not note anything wrong, but reset sensor anyway. The problem has occurred twice since the sensor was reset. I feel that this could be a dangerous problem, depending on when the malfunction occurs.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 182013

Fusion 6-cyl

***note: This started in May 2013 happened 3 times. Dealership replace an intake sensor and then it happened again as listed below. This is putting me and my daughters in danger everytime this happens without prior warning. ---------------------------------------- July 19, 2013 @ 3:29 am: Without warning this time the "check engine" indicator came on, the car made a weird noise like a dying rumble/purring noise as it became silent and all power left. -she put the care in "P? park -started the engine and it acted normal -------------------------------------- July 19, 2013 @3:28 am: Without warning the ?throttle control/transmission? indicator lit up, the car became silent and all power left. -she put the care in ?P? park -started the engine and it acted normal ------------------------------------------- July 19, 2013 @ 1:20 am : without warning the ?throttle control/transmission? indicator lit up, the car became silent and all power left. -she put the care in ?P? park -started the engine and it acted normal ---------------------------------------------------------- July 18, 2013 @4:30 pm: Without warning the ?throttle control/transmission? indicator lit up, the car became silent and all power left. -she put the care in ?P? park ".I was in the back seat & instructed her what to do. -started the engine and it acted normal ***** Ford dealership service technicians could not find or duplicate the problem. The issue escalated to the Ford engineers. They determined that it was something like the massive intake air flow sensor and installed a new one ( Ford part: Fp 3L3Z-128579-ba sensor assy) June 13 just prior to my business trip on June 17,2013.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Jul 162013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the power steering failed as the power steering assist warning light illuminated. The vehicle was shut down and restarted but the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was determined that the power steering assist needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 44,200.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Feb 272012

Fusion 4-cyl

I brought my Fusion in for service on 2/28/12 (17899 miles) for the first time w/ heavy vibration in steering wheel when applying brakes. I was told they my rotors needed to be machined, & that was covered under warranty. It was not even a month later when I could feel slight vibration in my steering wheel again, & would progress until I finally had to bring in again to be serviced with several other problems w/ my car. On 11/9/12 (32,651 miles) (1.) heavy vibration, they replaced rotors. (2) my advance trac and check braking system message kept coming up, they told me it was due to low battery voltage. (3)vehicle stalls when starting, they replaced battery. (4) skipping gears & stalling, reprogrammed PCM. On 6/15/13 my car loses all power and dies in the middle of highway @ night as I was backing out of a private drive w/ my daughter & her friend in backseat, I had to put it back in gear & jiggle key to turn off, restart car, & be able to drive off all the while cars running off the road to keep from hitting me! brought my car in for service finally again 7/11/12(44158 miles) (waited 2 weeks til they could get me in to diag)with recurring problems above + power loss! (1) car sputters/gears skip/stalling/loses power, & they find a bug mass air flow(as they said) but 1st told me TB then said no & as far as losing power they have no idea! (2)vibration in steering, rotors need to be machined again! never had this much work with rotors on any vehicle. Oh and my whole steering rack assembly needs to be replaced @ 44,158 miles!!! Ford should not be making cars that you can not get at least 100,000 miles before a $2,000+ service needs to be done on car! I told Ford even if they fixed what they said is wrong with my car today, they could not give me $1,000,000 to put myself or my child in it ever again! this car is unsafe, unreliable, and should have recalls & don't trust it!

- Silsbee, TX, USA

Jun 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car is having a hard time cranking and idling high, power steering hard to move because of a power steering assist fault and the car is hard to steer it has done it 3 times. Once while driving and 2 other times while parked but car was hard to crank.

- Erwin, NC, USA

Jun 122013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact started her vehicle and the "power steering assist fault" warning alert illuminated. The contact restarted the vehicle and it functioned properly. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Jul 082013

Fusion

While driving out of a parking lot and turning onto a main road, the power steering became extremely heavy and difficult. I heard beeping inside the car and the message- power steering assist failure light came on. I was able to maneuver the car to the side of the road and turned the car off and back on again and the steering returned to normal. This was scary as it happened with out warning so I immediately called the closest Ford dealer afterwards (Monday) and explained what had just happened and that I was worried it would reoccur and is dangerous but they couldn't take it until Friday. Also, concerned about reading very similar complaints with no recall from Ford to look into and fix before this malfunction causes a dangerous accident. Luckily, I had just made a turn at the time and wasn't moving fast at all but others have written that it happens at higher speeds as well.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jun 252013

Fusion 6-cyl

I turned on my car. The powering steering assist fault light came on and it was hard to turn. I turned my car off and on again. The light was still there.

- Camden , AR, USA

Jul 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

The power steering went of while I was driving at approximately 45mph. The indicator showed check power trac power steering. Took it to the dealer where I bought the car and they put it on a computer to see what was wrong. The computer showed the power gear needs to be replaced at $1600. But the service tech said that may not be all that's wrong, but first need to replace the power gear. This should be covered in the warranty and this should be a recall due to having occurred numerous times before. Neither of which is occurring. This could be very dangerous and cause serious injury if the car, for incidence, is in the passing lane. After the car lost its power steering, I was able to stop and restart, which corrected the steering.

- Saltville, VA, USA

Jun 262013

Fusion 6-cyl

My power steering has gone out on 3 separate occasions now. The first incident was June 26. I had parked the car (pulled over because of a bad rain storm). When I restarted the car and started to pull out of the parking place, the power steering assist default light came on and it became extremely difficult to steer the car. I pulled over again, turned off the engine for several minutes and when I restarted it, the default light was off and it was fine. The second incident occurred on June 28. Again, it happened when I started the car. I was parallel parked and when I started the car, the power steering assist default light came on and the steering was again very difficult to maneuver. I turned the engine off for several minutes, restarted and it was fine. The third incident occurred today, 7/4/2013, and this time it happened while I was driving. I was driving approximately 45 mph when the power steering assist default light came on again. I was able to pull off of the highway safely. I turned the car off for several minutes and once again, it was fine. However, to just suddenly lose the capability to steer is quite terrifying and extremely dangerous, especially on a highway. Since this has happened, I have done some research online and this power steering assist default seems to be quite a common problem with Ford Fusion owners- especially 2010-2012 models. Ford needs to address this issue before there is a really serious accident. I've only made a few payments on my car and I am now afraid to drive it- it is not safe!!

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Jun 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

The car suddenly developed some slop or play in the steering of the car with a clunking noise upon steering. A garage checked it out and determined that the "rack and pinion" assembly housing, which is made a aluminum, had a vertical crack in the middle of it. This is very dangerous situation that could cause steering failure resulting in a total loss of vehicle control. Car is drivable at this point.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Jun 252013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver as the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for a diagnostic testing where the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,250 and the current mileage was 60,344.

- Martinsville, VA, USA

Jun 202013

Fusion

Was stopped at red light in right turn lane. Light changed and I started forward the steering locked up and lights and buzzers went off there was no one stopped at light in other lane so I was able to steer safely to right and clear traffic. Lights on dash said power steering assist failure and something about advance trac. Called the local Ford place and they sent man to check problem. He cranked engine and everything was back to normal. Couldn't make it do it again.

- Teague,, TX, USA

Jun 142013

Fusion 6-cyl

In the beginning while driving I had the warning light of "power steering assist failure" come on, the wheel would become difficult to turn so I pulled into the shoulder and turned off the vehicle to check the power steering fluid and when I got back in and started the vehicle it would reset and work fine. I thought it was a fluke at first. Then it happened again a few weeks later so I called the Ford dealership, spoke to the service manager who told me they wouldn't be able to figure out what it was if the vehicle didn't store a code that it would be best for me to bring it in once the warning light stayed on and it wouldn't reset itself. He told me this because a few weeks prior same thing happened with the wrench warning light and when I took it in the vehicle didn't store a code.. they kept my car for a week and couldn't figure it out. I had to pay to get my vehicle back. No work was performed 2 days later same issue, I have since fixed the wrench light issue and unable to pay for the power steering issue. These 2 items went out when I was on the highway and are unsafe conditions to loose acceleration on the highway all of a sudden is not good at all and to have power steering failure on a 2011 vehicle is not acceptable.

- Longview, TX, USA

Jun 232013

Fusion 4-cyl

While taking a freeway exit ramp, an alert popped up on my dashboard and my steering immediately became labored. I wasn't doing anything unusual at the time, so my immediate assumption was that I had a flat tire. I began to slow as I neared the exit ramp, and at this point my dashboard showed a "power steering assist fault" error and a "service advancetrac" error message, which resulted in the loss of all power steering. At this point I pulled off the highway and into a parking lot, shut off my car, and let it rest for approximately 15 minutes while I read the Ford owner guide for more information. After inspecting the engine and finding nothing unusual, I started the car and the power steering had returned. I have not experienced this issue again and it has been 24 hours, but I'm still weary of traveling at higher speeds lest my power steering suddenly fail again.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jun 172013

Fusion 6-cyl

Traveling down the highway, the advancetrac light came on and system chimed. Message center displayed service advancetrac and power steering assist fault, I lost all power steering, the vehicle became very hard to control. Upon turning the vehicle off and back on I was able to regain power steering. Bringing vehicle to dealership today for investigation.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

May 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

Myself along with my three children were traveling on I-45 from dallas to houston. While traveling 75mph, the indicator light for the power steer assist fault came on along with the service advancetrac. Once the alarm went off, I no longer had power steering. This seems to be a common occurrence with this specific vehicle, and can be very dangerous depending of the driving conditions.

- Keller, TX, USA

May 012012

Fusion

About one year ago, the power steering failed while driving. After turning off the vehicle and restarting it, it was fine. It happened only a few times within the last year. Just this week alone now, at 35,000 miles, it has happened numerous times. I've stopped driving it due to this. I live in a busy city, and should it fail again at the wrong turn there could be a serious accident. I've seen numerous complaints about this, why has it not been recalled yet?

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 252013

Fusion

Drove the car for about an hour, for about 20 miles. Parked the car. Turned on car after it was parked in a parking lot for about 1.5 hours. As we attempted to pull out of our spot, it was apparent that the power steering was not working. Seconds later, the warning message appeared that there was a power steering failure, check the advancetrac system. We attempted to turn the car on and off to no avail. We added 3 bottles of power steering fluid and it didn't seem to fill up the tank nor did it help the power steering. Car was towed to the dealer, where they told us the rack and pinion needed to be replaced.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA