Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 27 of 28)

Mar 292012

Steering just quit all kinds of lights came on the dash they replaced it twice. And it still isn't right.

- Lake City, FL, USA

Jan 032012

Fusion 4-cyl

On 1/3/2012 I was driving at 40 mph, and my service advance track light came on. I took my car to the dealer and they told me they couldn't duplicate the problem, they also told me the only code they could retrieve from the computer analysis was related to the car being started with an unprogrammed key. I questioned their explanation, but took the car and continued driving it. Today 8/30/2012, I was driving on the highway 65-70 mph, a service advance track and power steering assist fault message came on, and my power steering quit working!!! I called the dealer, talked to the service manager, explained the problem, told him it was the second time I had had the issue, that I considered it a safety issue, and that I was not going to leave the dealership without an appropriate resolution. He told me he would need to keep my car and drive it for several days to see if he could recreate the problem. He further told me that if my car was hooked up to diagnostics and again failed to provide his technician with a repair code that he wouldn't be able to do anything to repair my car because Ford wouldn't pay him to repair it. Once on the internet I literally found hundreds of the exact same complaint, for 2010, 2011, 2012 Ford Fusion....all levels including hybrids. I also found similar stories about dealers claiming to need to drive the cars to replicate the problem, dealers claiming no code was provided during analysis, dealers admitting there is a problem, but not being able to fix the car because apparently there is a large back order for the part. Bottom line, the dealers know it happens, and what is causing it, worse Ford knows they have a problem and what is causing it. My young daughter is in my car at least 80% of the time. Come on Ford, Ford dealers, and NHTSA this is a no brainer. Get a recall going now. Hello steering!!!

- Park City, KS, USA

Aug 072012

I was driving home on the highway all of a sudden power steering froze. Warning light "service advancetrac" and "power steering failure came on. Next day 8/8/12, took it to the dealership where it still sits. Was told that the part that is bad (the rack and pinion) is on back order. Was just told today 8/17/12 that it will be October before the part will be shipped. Called Ford (company) and was told that my case was made a priority and I would have to wait until September 10th for a follow up (ridiculous). A customer who is spending this kind of money shouldn't have to wait a month to get help or wait two months to have his/her vehicle fixed. As of next Thursday Aug. 23 it will be 16 days without my car. I will then send a letter to the Ford for a "last chance to repair my car." After that they have 10 days to fix it. After ten days I can demand a refund or a new car. If Ford doesn't comply then I can file a suit against Ford according to the Mississippi lemon law (consumer protection division of the Mississippi attorney general's office) Ford I will see you in court! sincerely a disappointed customer.

- Saltillo, MS, USA

Aug 052012

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving the vehicle I received a service advance track and a power steering malfunction notification and then the steering froze. I was able to pull to the side of the road. I turned the car off and then back on which seemed to reset something. The vehicle is presently at the dealer and I was informed there was a back order for 2000 of the defective parts.

- Arnold, MD, USA

Aug 072012

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the steering box needed to be replaced. The part was on backorder and was not available for repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 17,000...updated 09/12/12 updated 09/12/2012

- Granbury, TX, USA

Aug 062012

As early as January this year I turned a corner and the power steering failed. I parked the car as I had arrived at my destination and when I restarted it the steering was working fine. This has happened at least three times since then while I was on the highway. I would turn off the ignition for a few seconds and turn it back on without stopping and the power steering would return. Monday I parked the car at my office and when I restarted it I got two alerts one was for a steering fault and the other was for advance track needs service. I got the car to a dealer today and the problem can't be repaired. The steering column must be removed from the car as the dealer is not allowed to repair the electronics. I thought this was a minor problem with a sensor receiving the wrong signal but Ford has turned it into a major repair job. If this problem is something that could happen to any Fusion it could be very dangerous as the car is very hard to steer. The computer should not be allowed to switch off the power steering while there is not a problem with the actual power steering mechanism.

- West River, MD, USA

Jul 022012

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle powers steering failed. The contact was able to manage the vehicle by exiting the roadway. The power steering warning light illuminated prior to the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 11, 000 and the current mileage was 11,400.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Jul 082012

When taking a right hand turn off main road steering froze, warning beep sounded and power steering message showed on dashboard. This is the first incident with this car, but my wife had this same problem with her 2011 Fusion about two weeks prior. It took two trips to the dealer to "fix" the problem.

- Milton, MA, USA

Jun 082012

Turning left off main road when power steering went and message showed "advance track problem and power steering problem ". turned car off, restarted and car seemed ok. No problem for about a week, then messages showed again. Took car to dealership \. they kept it over a weekend and then said it was all fixed., having replaced some small parts. Service manager stated that it was "probably one in a million cars that had this problem". following Friday, had same problem again. Car is currently in dealership. Service manager stated that they were now going to replace the whole system.

- Milton, MA, USA

Jun 012012

While driving my vehicle at the red light started to make a left turn when the light change as I was turning my steering failed which caused the car to be hard to turn, I pulled over and turn the car off and it reset itself. Also while backing out of my garage the same happen had to turn off the car to reset itself. It is now at the shop and they said it has not happen while they have been driving.

- East Point, GA, USA

Jun 112012

Fusion 4-cyl

On 6/7/12 was driving car and check engine light and wrench light came on while driving on the road, 30 seconds later, engine shut off completely, could not accelerate and had to get the vehicle towed to the dealership. I was told that the purge valve and fuel filler pipe had to be replaced. On 6/11/12, picked up my vehicle from the dealership and was charged over $500 dollars for the service. 20 minutes later while driving on I45 North at 65 mph. Same thing happened, car completely turned off, had to "coast" to the shoulder and avoid any vehicles. My vehicle, again, was towed to the dealership. This is very dangerous and must be taken care of immediately. The fact that I was charged over $500 to take care of the issue and for it to happen again is absurd.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

May 302012

Was driving on I5 South toward the off-ramp when a the following warning came on service advancetrac power steering assist fault. Then the power steering failed though the car was otherwise running. This almost caused an accident and the off-ramp was a hard curve. I turned off the ignition and restarted the vehicle and it was back to normal.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Oct 262011

Fusion 4-cyl

I have 2011 Ford Fusion, it has happen several times since I got the car, but everytime I turn it off it would reset itself, but yesterday I was going to my nieces house and I was in a turn and power steering went out and it was hard to turn the steering wheel. I have been reading how there been a lot people been having the same problem I have been having. I don't know why there has not been a recall to get this fix.

- Jewett, TX, USA

May 242012

Fusion 4-cyl

Yesterday, as I was driving up an on ramp, my advance trac light and alarm came on and the power steering failed. Steering was very difficult as the steering wheel was basically frozen. I was able to pull off to the side of the road.I turned the car off and back on and everything seemed to go back to normal and the power steering worked. Today I took it to a dealer to get it repaired. At first they told me my car must have stalled while I was driving and they replaced the throttle body. I insisted the car did not stall or turn off or decelerate and that only the power steering was not working. I left the dealership. Later in the day they contacted me after discussing the problem with some peers, they realized what the problem was and asked me to return. I took it back and they told me I would need the power steering rack replaced. I'm really surprised that there has not been a recall--in doing a google search, I see that it is not a new problem with Fusion and it has happened to quite a few people. I spoke to 2 colleagues today with the same car who also had their power steering malfunction.

- Windermere, FL, USA

May 202012

Fusion 6-cyl

Started to drive and suddenly error light message of power steering assist needs serviced, and there was no power steering. Luckily I was going at a low rate of speed and was not on a major road at the time. Drove car with no power steering for approx 1.5 miles, pulled over turned car off and then back on and error was gone and the power steering seemed fine again. Took car to the dealership today and they cannot get the issue to happen again? they state Ford has not issued any technical bulletins or recalls about this, however in researching on-line it seems this has been a common issue for other Ford Fusion owners.

- Huber Heights, OH, USA

Apr 292012

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact was in a parking lot driving at very low speeds when the power steering assist failed. The contact shut off and restarted the vehicle, and the power steering has reset independently. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 28,649.

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Aug 172011

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving the vehicle the steering will turn off. Driver will get a beeping message followed by this error message on display power steering assist fault. Service advancetrac the car will operate normally just without any power steering at all. If you turn the vehicle off and back on, the error will disappear with no errors be logged in the computer memory. The car will operate as normal (until the next occurrence). This has happened 5 times in a year with our 2011 Ford Fusion. Two of the times my wife was on the highway doing 60mph when the steering just cuts off. Dealer has done nothing to resolve the issue. Without an error code they will not replace any parts or attempt to fix it.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Jun 122011

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving at any speed, the vehicle steered to the left abnormally. In addition, the contact stated that the front driver and passenger seat head rests were made too close to the head, forcing the contact to sit in an uncomfortable position. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 200 and the current mileage was 3200. Updated 12/16/11 the consumer also stated the vehicle pulled to the left while braking. Updated 01/19/12

- Fishers, IN, USA

Aug 062011

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving car on 100 degrees in Texas the power steering light came on. Parked the car at home and could not steer the car. Towed car to the dealer. They clear code returned the car and again 5 days later same problem towed to dealer. They kept the car for 3 days returned the car and now its handle like a truck. Different steering. Now going for third time tomorrow to see what happen. Very disappointed with the vehicle.

- Texas, TX, USA

Jul 302011

2011 Ford Fusion 3300 miles. Power steering and stabilitrac failed. Taken to Ford garage where three components were replaced. Steering now requires excessive wheel pressure to respond and then tends to over steer.

- Crossville, TN, USA