CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 7 of 28)

Aug 042015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 15V340000 (steering) and stated that the part needed was not available. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The contact mentioned that a failure was experienced upon reversing out of the driveway. The power steering and the system sensor fault warning lights illuminated. The steering wheel locked and the contact was unable to drive the vehicle. In addition, the instrument panel failed and the gauges were not showing a proper reading. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The failure mileage was not available.

- Smiths , AL, USA

Jun 162015

Fusion

Car started chiming and could not turn the steering wheel.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Aug 012015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering) however, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jul 302015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Cape Coral , FL, USA

Jul 132015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving 20 mph making a left turn, the contact's vehicle crashed into a parked vehicle. The contact stated that the recall notice was received for NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (power steering). The contact's teeth went through her bottom lip, which required medical attention. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. A police report was filed. The failure mileage was 39,000.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

May 012014

Fusion

I took my car in for a recall (15S18) and all they did was reset my sensor. The code my car threw was not in a list of codes that would warrant a gear replacement. The problem is that I have had the power steering fail at least 6 times in the last year and I do not feel that they were taking that seriously. They basically stated at the dealership that if I wanted it fixed I would have to pay for it. I called the Ford company and they were also not helpful. They stated that if it happens again I can bring it back to be checked and it is still fixable until 12/31/2015. I feel that if I am in an accident now because of this they will be negligent in their duties because of this recall and I do noy know what to do next. Do I have an recourse?

- West Bountiful, UT, USA

Jun 222015

Fusion 4-cyl

Power assist when out on the car and it was almost impossible to steer. Moved to a safe place and restarted the car. This is a disaster waiting to happen. I consider this a major safety issue iwth this car. Has happended mutiple times since then. What has to happen before there is a recall? I am having it repaired for safety reasons, but I am having to pay for their defective parts. Updated 09/08/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired at the manufacturer's expense. Updated 12/16/2015

- Garland, TX, USA

Jul 162015

Fusion

We have been told by Ford that our 2011 Fusion is not covered under the safety recall for the power steering failure, but our car's power steering went out last Thursday. We are getting messages that say "power steering fault" and "service advance trac, " and the power steering is most definitely gone. Our car was manufactured at the hermosillo plant listed in the recall notice, but the build date shows August of 2010, throwing it a month earlier than the date they're showing. When tested, we received fault codes U3000-49 and U3000-96 for internal module failure. The code C-1277 is also present. The tests point to the steering gear failure.

- Du Quoin, IL, USA

Jul 082015

Fusion

I was driving the car on the night of July 7th. The mil came on saying service power steering now. The next morning I had no power steering at all.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Jun 012015

Fusion

Power steering went out multiple times, had to replace power steering rack.

- Auburn, IN, USA

Jun 212015

Fusion

Driving I-10 front right tire go's flat pulled over put on a pair tire got back in car to leave message starts in dash service power steering and I have no power steering called dealership they told me it was probably a coincidence that the flat tire and no power steering happened that a flat tire caused electric power steering to quit working searched this problem online a lot of people having same problem some of them just driving no flat tire just quits working some on and off at times

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

Jun 182015

Fusion

My wife was leaving a patient's house, and when she started the vehicle, she had no power steering. She tried turning the car off and back on, but the power steering was still not working. She was able to carefully drive the car to a local mechanic. The mechanic found no codes related to the power steering. A nearby dealer offered to tow the vehicle down and inspect it. They claimed that there was nothing wrong with the car, that there were no codes available, and that there was nothing they could do. The local mechanic found no codes related to the power steering either. The only codes the car was showing were related to a "purge valve" in the gas tank, which was replaced at the dealer. As the source of the problem has not been found, we are looking to replace the car, as the loss of power steering would be dangerous. We will now be required to go drive the car from the dealership to another dealership to attempt to trade it in. Ford media has announced a recall on certain 2011 Fusion built at the hermosillo plant, but we have yet to receive notification or the recall notice on this one. The service center had yet to receive a notification, either. Https://media.Ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/05/27/Ford-issues-two-safety-recalls-in-North-America-.html

- Los Alamos, NM, USA

Jun 192015

Fusion

The vehicle lost power steering in a turn and the driver had insufficient strength to control the vehicle. The vehicle drove over the curb on the side of the road and bent the tire rim. The displayed caution was "power steering assist fault/ service advancetrac." In a different situation, the curb could have very easily been another vehicle or pedestrians. This failure of power steering has occurred at high speeds as well. Service providers do not see the fault in the workshop as the fault clears each time the car is turned off and fails randomly.

- California, MD, USA

Jun 162015

Fusion

While accelerating on the freeway the power steering failed. A warning came on. Turned off the car which reset the system and corrected the problem. This is the second time it has happened.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 122015

Fusion

The power steering assist stopped and a warning light came on, then the traction control light came on. The power steering would not come back on after repeated restarts. This happened several time before but would work after restart.

- Casco, MI, USA

Jun 102015

Fusion

Car notified me of an issue while I was driving. It said power steering assist fault. I was going approximately 45mph. I noticed that the power steering was not working. I was able to make it home, but it was very difficult. When I turned my car off and on again at home, the steering started working again. I haven't had a chance to try it again, but I heard it may be a daily occurance that this goes out. I called my dealership and they said they cannot help me yet because the recall is not officially available.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jun 082015

Fusion

I changed my flat tire to my spare and when I turned on my car to try my car the system "steering now" shows up and my car is not drive able. Steering is stiff. Never had a problem with it before but now all of a sudden it shows up. This is very frustrating for my car is a 2011 Ford Fusion and hearing all these complains and issues made me doubt Ford and its cars.

- San Jose , CA, USA

Jun 092015

Fusion

As my son was driving the car the power steering stopped working making it very difficult to steer. A service power steering now light has come on. Very dangerous for this to quit while navigating. I have restarted it several times and still no power steering.

- Sutton, VT, USA

Jun 052015

Fusion

While driving the power steering assist malfunctioned and power steering was lost. It reset after restarting the car.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 272014

Fusion

Vacation in gatlinburg tn. Driving out of gatlinburg traction light came on with service power steering light came on drove to place to check it turned car off looked under hood could not see anything wrong got back in cranked car service steering now light came on and car would not steer called tow truck carried car to local Ford dealer in sevierville tn cost $1970 to repair plus had to stay extra three days

- Louin , MS, USA