CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 7 of 28)

Jun 182015

Fusion

Power steering assist fault - causing power steering failure. Restarting car fixed problem. Happen a few times up until August 18th (at 39,500 miles) when I had a complete power steering failure. Power steering assist fault warning on car dash. No fixing it this time. Had to have car towed to a garage for repair. Once the correct rack & pinion part was located - was only one available in the entire us. It is on order for my garage however I'm not sure it is even going to fix the issue. This exact problem is being recalled on #15S18 - however my car was not included due to the month it was manufactured. This is according to Ford customer care. The recall needs to be expanded to include my car.

- Pine City, NY, USA

Aug 012015

Fusion

On August 1st, 2015, I was on my way home at about 10 pm at night. I was going up a hill that curved to the left and suddenly lost control of my steering wheel. Instead of turning left the car proceeded to go straight where I then began to panic. I then slammed my brake to the floor and it somehow unexpectedly sped up. I crashed into a power line and smashed the front end into a tree that had totaled my vehicle. I have seat belt burns on my neck, stitches on my knee, abrasions, suffered from a minor concussion, a large amount of bruises, small cuts on my hands and forehead. I have full medical documents of my injuries including pictures. I later found out there were 2 recalls on the vehicle a power steering and 1 full throttle body recall. The power steering was completely replaced previously in 7/16/2013 & 10/26/2013 and there was no solution to the throttle body recall except a extend warranty. I also went to the car dealership where I purchased my vehicle 2 days before the accident and they mentioned nothing about any of the recalls. They also had no clue why it was making the strange noises and told me it was fine after 4 hours of service. I'm still currently experiencing pain in my shoulder that was diagnosed at the orthopedics on August 18th. I have to attend physical therapy twice a week for 6 weeks. I currently have shooting pains in my left shoulder & muscle spasms. Also my leg has nerve damage where I'm still experiencing numbness at this time. There is also permanent scarring from the seatbelt burns & the air bag ripping off the skin of my left thumb. We have documentation of everything including the police report, car diagnosis and the vehicle is still at the tow lot. No one else was involved or injured however there is documentation of the previous power steering recall accident.

- Woodbine, MD, USA

Sep 132011

Fusion

On August 1st, 2015, I was on my way home at about 10 pm at night. I was going up a hill that curved to the left and suddenly lost control of my steering wheel. Instead of turning left the car proceeded to go straight where I then began to panic. I then slammed my brake to the floor and it somehow unexpectedly sped up. I crashed into a power line and smashed the front end into a tree that had totaled my vehicle. I have seat belt burns on my neck, stitches on my knee, abrasions, suffered from a minor concussion, a large amount of bruises, small cuts on my hands and forehead. I have full medical documents of my injuries including pictures. I later found out there were 2 recalls on the vehicle a power steering and 1 full throttle body recall. The power steering was completely replaced previously in 7/16/2013 & 10/26/2013 and there was no solution to the throttle body recall except a extend warranty. I also went to the car dealership where I purchased my vehicle 2 days before the accident and they mentioned nothing about any of the recalls. They also had no clue why it was making the strange noises and told me it was fine after 4 hours of service. IżżM still currently experiencing pain in my shoulder that was diagnosed at the orthopedics on August 18th. I have to attend physical therapy twice a week for 6 weeks. I currently have shooting pains in my left shoulder & muscle spasms. Also my leg has nerve damage where IżżM still experiencing numbness at this time. There is also permanent scarring from the seatbelt burns & the air bag ripping off the skin of my left thumb. We have documentation of everything including the police report, car diagnosis and the vehicle is still at the tow lot. No one else was involved or injured however there is documentation of the previous power steering recall accident.

- Woodbine, MD, USA

Aug 092015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel became extremely difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagosed that the power steering gear assembly needed to be replaced. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 86,214. The VIN was unavailable.

- El Dorado, AR, USA

Sep 082014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 24,800.

- Ocean, NJ, USA

Aug 032015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed. After starting up the engine and attempting to turn the steering wheel, the vehicle lost power. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the power steering rack was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was not available.

- Kingsland, GA, USA

Jul 142015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, there was a loss of power steering without warning. The vehicle was driven with caution and difficulty in maneuvering the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where the power steering control module, rack and pinion and other related components were replaced. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign id number: 15V340000 (steering) however, the recall remedy was performed prior to the receiving the recall notification. The contact was upset because the manufacturer refused to reimburse for previous repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 93,941.

- Lawson, MO, USA

Aug 092015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. After the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The contact powered the vehicle off and back on; however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000.

- Firth, NE, USA

Aug 042015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 15V340000 (steering) and stated that the part needed was not available. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The contact mentioned that a failure was experienced upon reversing out of the driveway. The power steering and the system sensor fault warning lights illuminated. The steering wheel locked and the contact was unable to drive the vehicle. In addition, the instrument panel failed and the gauges were not showing a proper reading. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The failure mileage was not available.

- Smiths , AL, USA

Jun 162015

Fusion

Car started chiming and could not turn the steering wheel.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Aug 012015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering) however, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jul 302015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Cape Coral , FL, USA

Jul 132015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving 20 mph making a left turn, the contact's vehicle crashed into a parked vehicle. The contact stated that the recall notice was received for NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (power steering). The contact's teeth went through her bottom lip, which required medical attention. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. A police report was filed. The failure mileage was 39,000.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

May 012014

Fusion

I took my car in for a recall (15S18) and all they did was reset my sensor. The code my car threw was not in a list of codes that would warrant a gear replacement. The problem is that I have had the power steering fail at least 6 times in the last year and I do not feel that they were taking that seriously. They basically stated at the dealership that if I wanted it fixed I would have to pay for it. I called the Ford company and they were also not helpful. They stated that if it happens again I can bring it back to be checked and it is still fixable until 12/31/2015. I feel that if I am in an accident now because of this they will be negligent in their duties because of this recall and I do noy know what to do next. Do I have an recourse?

- West Bountiful, UT, USA

Jun 222015

Fusion 4-cyl

Power assist when out on the car and it was almost impossible to steer. Moved to a safe place and restarted the car. This is a disaster waiting to happen. I consider this a major safety issue iwth this car. Has happended mutiple times since then. What has to happen before there is a recall? I am having it repaired for safety reasons, but I am having to pay for their defective parts. Updated 09/08/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired at the manufacturer's expense. Updated 12/16/2015

- Garland, TX, USA

Jul 162015

Fusion

We have been told by Ford that our 2011 Fusion is not covered under the safety recall for the power steering failure, but our car's power steering went out last Thursday. We are getting messages that say "power steering fault" and "service advance trac, " and the power steering is most definitely gone. Our car was manufactured at the hermosillo plant listed in the recall notice, but the build date shows August of 2010, throwing it a month earlier than the date they're showing. When tested, we received fault codes U3000-49 and U3000-96 for internal module failure. The code C-1277 is also present. The tests point to the steering gear failure.

- Du Quoin, IL, USA

Jul 082015

Fusion

I was driving the car on the night of July 7th. The mil came on saying service power steering now. The next morning I had no power steering at all.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Jun 012015

Fusion

Power steering went out multiple times, had to replace power steering rack.

- Auburn, IN, USA

Jun 212015

Fusion

Driving I-10 front right tire go's flat pulled over put on a pair tire got back in car to leave message starts in dash service power steering and I have no power steering called dealership they told me it was probably a coincidence that the flat tire and no power steering happened that a flat tire caused electric power steering to quit working searched this problem online a lot of people having same problem some of them just driving no flat tire just quits working some on and off at times

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

Jun 182015

Fusion

My wife was leaving a patient's house, and when she started the vehicle, she had no power steering. She tried turning the car off and back on, but the power steering was still not working. She was able to carefully drive the car to a local mechanic. The mechanic found no codes related to the power steering. A nearby dealer offered to tow the vehicle down and inspect it. They claimed that there was nothing wrong with the car, that there were no codes available, and that there was nothing they could do. The local mechanic found no codes related to the power steering either. The only codes the car was showing were related to a "purge valve" in the gas tank, which was replaced at the dealer. As the source of the problem has not been found, we are looking to replace the car, as the loss of power steering would be dangerous. We will now be required to go drive the car from the dealership to another dealership to attempt to trade it in. Ford media has announced a recall on certain 2011 Fusion built at the hermosillo plant, but we have yet to receive notification or the recall notice on this one. The service center had yet to receive a notification, either. Https://media.Ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/05/27/Ford-issues-two-safety-recalls-in-North-America-.html

- Los Alamos, NM, USA