Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 7 of 28)

Jun 212015

Driving I-10 front right tire go's flat pulled over put on a pair tire got back in car to leave message starts in dash service power steering and I have no power steering called dealership they told me it was probably a coincidence that the flat tire and no power steering happened that a flat tire caused electric power steering to quit working searched this problem online a lot of people having same problem some of them just driving no flat tire just quits working some on and off at times

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

Jun 182015

My wife was leaving a patient's house, and when she started the vehicle, she had no power steering. She tried turning the car off and back on, but the power steering was still not working. She was able to carefully drive the car to a local mechanic. The mechanic found no codes related to the power steering. A nearby dealer offered to tow the vehicle down and inspect it. They claimed that there was nothing wrong with the car, that there were no codes available, and that there was nothing they could do. The local mechanic found no codes related to the power steering either. The only codes the car was showing were related to a "purge valve" in the gas tank, which was replaced at the dealer. As the source of the problem has not been found, we are looking to replace the car, as the loss of power steering would be dangerous. We will now be required to go drive the car from the dealership to another dealership to attempt to trade it in. Ford media has announced a recall on certain 2011 Fusion built at the hermosillo plant, but we have yet to receive notification or the recall notice on this one. The service center had yet to receive a notification, either. Https://

- Los Alamos, NM, USA

Jun 192015

The vehicle lost power steering in a turn and the driver had insufficient strength to control the vehicle. The vehicle drove over the curb on the side of the road and bent the tire rim. The displayed caution was "power steering assist fault/ service advancetrac." In a different situation, the curb could have very easily been another vehicle or pedestrians. This failure of power steering has occurred at high speeds as well. Service providers do not see the fault in the workshop as the fault clears each time the car is turned off and fails randomly.

- California, MD, USA

Jun 162015

While accelerating on the freeway the power steering failed. A warning came on. Turned off the car which reset the system and corrected the problem. This is the second time it has happened.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 122015

The power steering assist stopped and a warning light came on, then the traction control light came on. The power steering would not come back on after repeated restarts. This happened several time before but would work after restart.

- Casco, MI, USA

Jun 102015

Car notified me of an issue while I was driving. It said power steering assist fault. I was going approximately 45mph. I noticed that the power steering was not working. I was able to make it home, but it was very difficult. When I turned my car off and on again at home, the steering started working again. I haven't had a chance to try it again, but I heard it may be a daily occurance that this goes out. I called my dealership and they said they cannot help me yet because the recall is not officially available.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jun 082015

I changed my flat tire to my spare and when I turned on my car to try my car the system "steering now" shows up and my car is not drive able. Steering is stiff. Never had a problem with it before but now all of a sudden it shows up. This is very frustrating for my car is a 2011 Ford Fusion and hearing all these complains and issues made me doubt Ford and its cars.

- San Jose , CA, USA

Jun 092015

As my son was driving the car the power steering stopped working making it very difficult to steer. A service power steering now light has come on. Very dangerous for this to quit while navigating. I have restarted it several times and still no power steering.

- Sutton, VT, USA

Jun 052015

While driving the power steering assist malfunctioned and power steering was lost. It reset after restarting the car.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 272014

Vacation in gatlinburg tn. Driving out of gatlinburg traction light came on with service power steering light came on drove to place to check it turned car off looked under hood could not see anything wrong got back in cranked car service steering now light came on and car would not steer called tow truck carried car to local Ford dealer in sevierville tn cost $1970 to repair plus had to stay extra three days

- Louin , MS, USA

Jun 022015

While driving home last evening the power steering on my car quit working and I had difficulty controlling the vehicle. The indicator light came on stating that there was a system failure in regards to the power steering. This morning when I started the car the power steering was once again working. I took the car to the Ford dealership and was told that there has been a recent recall on this particular problem, but a repair will not be available until July 13th. I was advised to pick the car up and drive it with the defect until the fix became available because nothing can be done at this time. I find this to be dangerous and unacceptable.

- Prescott Valley, AZ, USA

May 302015

I was driving along a road at 50 mph which was the speed limit, all of a sudden I get signals on the car that there is a power steering malfuntion. The wheel locked up and I could not even turn it to get my car to safety. I hit a sign due to me not being able to turn my vehicle, my foot was jammed and I was tossed into the steering wheel

- Yucca Valley, CA, USA

May 292015

The problem is that the power steering will stop working without notice. It's happened to me once and my wife twice. The fact that this is her primary car and she has kids in the car with her is very concerning. We will be driving along and all of a sudden the power steering fails and a warning message comes up on the dash. After turning the car off and back on again, the power steering works again. This is the third time this has happened, the first two times I can't remember the dates. When we purchased this car a little over a year ago, the salesman said the reason it was traded in was the couple had problems with the steering, but he tried to make it into a problem with the owner and not the car. We purchased this car was purchased from a Ford dealer. I have made an appointment with the Ford dealer I purchased the car from and they will look at it on Monday. I have been doing a lot of research on this, and it is a very widespread problem yet Ford has yet to issue a recall on this particular year (I believe it issued a recall on earlier model year Fusion). I've seen differing reports on what fixed the problem, anywhere from bad ABS modules/sensors to the power steering rack and pinion, none of which were cheap and/or covered under warranties. I'm at a loss at what to do. We purchased this car from a Ford dealer, they knew there was a problem when we purchased it (because that's why the previous owner traded it in), and when I take it in to have them look at it I can guarantee it'll be money out of my pocket to fix a problem that should be on Ford to fix.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Mar 272015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving 34 mph and making a right turn, the power steering warning lights illuminated and the power steering failed. The contact pulled over to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electric power steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of this issue. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Oakland Park, FL, USA

May 202015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 60 mph, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. During the failure, the "service power steering" message displayed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the steering gear was faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

May 242015

Power steering cut out while pulling car out of drive way. Flashed messages "service advancetrac" and "power steering assist fault." This has occurred previously and usually been remedied by restarting car. This time restarting car did not accomplish anything.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 232015

I was backing out of a parking spot and the power assist failure, light came on. It had happen before but would correct itself it the car was restarted. I had attempted to take it to a mechanic but since it wouud not happen while there they could not diagnose the problem. I am not looking forward to this costly repair. Fzord please do something.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 152015

Fusion 4-cyl

I was traveling 45 mph on a dry, 2 lane, macadam road no shoulders when my power steering went out. "advance trac" light on, chimes & message: "no power assist". I drove with no power steering for 5 miles,10 mph to a safe place to park. Car off for over an hour, started & had power steering. Slowly drove 33 mile home. Ford dealer next day: No definite codes, power steering now working, could need a pscm, they called Ford engineers hot line. We were told it could be a fluke, never happen again; best to drive car in with power steering not working. Repair cost $1500. We did not repair, knowing others had this problem even after repairs. Didn't drive car except for short, low-speed trips. 5/1/15, needed to drive the turnpike 65-70 mph & reached destination with power steering, but 7 hrs later, we started the car, "no power assist", no power steering. I called the dealership to have it towed - told them I wouldn't drive without power steering on the turnpike. They said to let it rest a bit - we did, 20 min, and it worked. Drove home; did not drive again until I took it to the dealership and told them they could have it until it did it to them. Which it did eventually. Dealership notes from 1st service: "cau ids tested fault codes U0100-20 C1963 -20 ABS lost communication with". notes from 2nd service: "cor PCM C1277-20 C200D rotation angle sensor circuit malfunction fault traced and replaced power steering control module steering gear assembly program and verified repairs." I had informed service of the recall pending, and they assured me, we would be reimbursed if recall does happen. No problem with power steering since 5/12/15 (repair date) however, the windshield wipers quit working 5/18/15 and did not go on until next day. I wonder if this is another 'glitch' & fear for what will glitch out next. If I could, I wouldn't drive this car, even though it had the repair.

- Topton, PA, USA

May 162015

Intermittent loss of power steering. Incidents were becoming more frequent. Last incident while car was in motion. Dealer diagnosed electrical steering rack failure, $1780. Escalated from dealer to Ford due to safety issue, Ford offered some assistance, still $1070. Parked car at home, escalated to Ford customer care, and given a case number. This is a safety concern that must be addressed! I cannot allow my loved ones behind the wheel of this vehicle. I'm sure no one at the Ford Motor Company would either.

- Sharpsburg, GA, USA

Apr 252015

Within a month I had the power steering assist fault warning come up twice and the power steering gives out. I took it in for service and they diagnosed it with needing a power steering gear assembly. The quote for the repair was $1,630. I got this car with just 42,000 miles on it and I have just put only 8,000 miles on it and had to get the throttle body replaced under recall but I can't understand why the power steering gear assembly part isn't considered a recall since it can be a huge safety risk! I'm very disappointed with how Ford Motor Company is not taking issue this seriously!

- North Canton, OH, USA