CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 8 of 28)

Jun 022015

Fusion

While driving home last evening the power steering on my car quit working and I had difficulty controlling the vehicle. The indicator light came on stating that there was a system failure in regards to the power steering. This morning when I started the car the power steering was once again working. I took the car to the Ford dealership and was told that there has been a recent recall on this particular problem, but a repair will not be available until July 13th. I was advised to pick the car up and drive it with the defect until the fix became available because nothing can be done at this time. I find this to be dangerous and unacceptable.

- Prescott Valley, AZ, USA

May 302015

Fusion

I was driving along a road at 50 mph which was the speed limit, all of a sudden I get signals on the car that there is a power steering malfuntion. The wheel locked up and I could not even turn it to get my car to safety. I hit a sign due to me not being able to turn my vehicle, my foot was jammed and I was tossed into the steering wheel

- Yucca Valley, CA, USA

May 292015

Fusion

The problem is that the power steering will stop working without notice. It's happened to me once and my wife twice. The fact that this is her primary car and she has kids in the car with her is very concerning. We will be driving along and all of a sudden the power steering fails and a warning message comes up on the dash. After turning the car off and back on again, the power steering works again. This is the third time this has happened, the first two times I can't remember the dates. When we purchased this car a little over a year ago, the salesman said the reason it was traded in was the couple had problems with the steering, but he tried to make it into a problem with the owner and not the car. We purchased this car was purchased from a Ford dealer. I have made an appointment with the Ford dealer I purchased the car from and they will look at it on Monday. I have been doing a lot of research on this, and it is a very widespread problem yet Ford has yet to issue a recall on this particular year (I believe it issued a recall on earlier model year Fusion). I've seen differing reports on what fixed the problem, anywhere from bad ABS modules/sensors to the power steering rack and pinion, none of which were cheap and/or covered under warranties. I'm at a loss at what to do. We purchased this car from a Ford dealer, they knew there was a problem when we purchased it (because that's why the previous owner traded it in), and when I take it in to have them look at it I can guarantee it'll be money out of my pocket to fix a problem that should be on Ford to fix.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Mar 272015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving 34 mph and making a right turn, the power steering warning lights illuminated and the power steering failed. The contact pulled over to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electric power steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of this issue. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Oakland Park, FL, USA

May 202015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 60 mph, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. During the failure, the "service power steering" message displayed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the steering gear was faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

May 242015

Fusion

Power steering cut out while pulling car out of drive way. Flashed messages "service advancetrac" and "power steering assist fault." This has occurred previously and usually been remedied by restarting car. This time restarting car did not accomplish anything.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 232015

Fusion

I was backing out of a parking spot and the power assist failure, light came on. It had happen before but would correct itself it the car was restarted. I had attempted to take it to a mechanic but since it wouud not happen while there they could not diagnose the problem. I am not looking forward to this costly repair. Fzord please do something.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 152015

Fusion 4-cyl

I was traveling 45 mph on a dry, 2 lane, macadam road no shoulders when my power steering went out. "advance trac" light on, chimes & message: "no power assist". I drove with no power steering for 5 miles,10 mph to a safe place to park. Car off for over an hour, started & had power steering. Slowly drove 33 mile home. Ford dealer next day: No definite codes, power steering now working, could need a pscm, they called Ford engineers hot line. We were told it could be a fluke, never happen again; best to drive car in with power steering not working. Repair cost $1500. We did not repair, knowing others had this problem even after repairs. Didn't drive car except for short, low-speed trips. 5/1/15, needed to drive the turnpike 65-70 mph & reached destination with power steering, but 7 hrs later, we started the car, "no power assist", no power steering. I called the dealership to have it towed - told them I wouldn't drive without power steering on the turnpike. They said to let it rest a bit - we did, 20 min, and it worked. Drove home; did not drive again until I took it to the dealership and told them they could have it until it did it to them. Which it did eventually. Dealership notes from 1st service: "cau ids tested fault codes U0100-20 C1963 -20 ABS lost communication with". notes from 2nd service: "cor PCM C1277-20 C200D rotation angle sensor circuit malfunction fault traced and replaced power steering control module steering gear assembly program and verified repairs." I had informed service of the recall pending, and they assured me, we would be reimbursed if recall does happen. No problem with power steering since 5/12/15 (repair date) however, the windshield wipers quit working 5/18/15 and did not go on until next day. I wonder if this is another 'glitch' & fear for what will glitch out next. If I could, I wouldn't drive this car, even though it had the repair.

- Topton, PA, USA

May 162015

Fusion

Intermittent loss of power steering. Incidents were becoming more frequent. Last incident while car was in motion. Dealer diagnosed electrical steering rack failure, $1780. Escalated from dealer to Ford due to safety issue, Ford offered some assistance, still $1070. Parked car at home, escalated to Ford customer care, and given a case number. This is a safety concern that must be addressed! I cannot allow my loved ones behind the wheel of this vehicle. I'm sure no one at the Ford Motor Company would either.

- Sharpsburg, GA, USA

Apr 252015

Fusion

Within a month I had the power steering assist fault warning come up twice and the power steering gives out. I took it in for service and they diagnosed it with needing a power steering gear assembly. The quote for the repair was $1,630. I got this car with just 42,000 miles on it and I have just put only 8,000 miles on it and had to get the throttle body replaced under recall but I can't understand why the power steering gear assembly part isn't considered a recall since it can be a huge safety risk! I'm very disappointed with how Ford Motor Company is not taking issue this seriously!

- North Canton, OH, USA

Jan 052015

Fusion

A very dangerous and surprising power steering failure. The power steering stops functioning intermittently, which can, for a short period of time (maybe a couple of months), be corrected by restarting the car. Soon, the failure becomes a hard fault and can only be fixed by replacing the whole rack, which is not cheap. Beware, those individuals that do not have sufficient upper body strength will not be able to control the car in a turn. This includes my teenage daughter. I am very upset that Ford is not being accountable nor yet being held accountable for this very hazardous condition when there is clear evidence that they have been using faulty parts. Note, unlike most cases with a lack of power steering, it does not seem to require less effort when at higher speeds. There is a pretty consistent amount of effort required to steer the vehicle regardless of speed. There is also a noticeable wandering the requires constant correction, best characterized as "negative stability", with minor variations in the road surface changing the steering angle/position.

- Madison, AL, USA

May 172015

Fusion

Driver was entering a traffic circle and suddenly lost power steering functioning. Driver was able to continue through traffic circle exerting greater force on the steering wheel to complete turn in traffic circle. In car message came on regarding loss of power steering. Driver immediately turned into a parking lot and turned off vehicle. After waiting a minute or two, restarted the vehicle and was able to proceed with power steering apparently functioning. Took to dealer and was advised that needed new steering gear as it was failing.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

May 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

The first time my daughter and I was backing out driveway power steering warning came on. I could not steer my car.I live on a very busy street my neighbor came out and pushed us back in my driveway. Now barely a year later it has gone out again this time in was driving on 31 w bypass and barely made it off road.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

May 142015

Fusion

When leaving the parking lot I lost all steering and had to drive home with out power steering which made my drive very dangerous considering I had both of my children in the car

- Fort Bragg, NC, USA

May 152015

Fusion

Went to town and parked the car went in to the store and when I started to leave I noticed that the power steering didn't work. I drove the car home with no power steering. It's a good thing this didn't happen while going the speed limit. The dealer said that this is a common problem my question is why has it not been recalled if it's a common problem.

- Lovell, WY, USA

Jul 172014

Fusion

While driving under normal conditions the power steering suddenly stopped working. Warning message on dash says "power steering assist failure". barely avoided a crash due to unable to steer vehicle normally. I took to the dealer and they charged me $250 to tell me they could not identify the problem. This is an intermittent problem which has reoccurred more than 10 times since at speeds between 5 and 65 mph. It happened again at my kids school parking lot and I thought I was going to hit a pedestrian child. It has now stopped working completely at 51,000 miles. Dealer couldn't identify the problem before, fortunately no one was hurt, yet. I fear they are going to repair with the same defect present making this safety hazard continue for the life of the vehicle. Hopefully there are no fatalities in the future because no action or recall was forced.

- Rubicon, WI, USA

May 152015

Fusion

Driving down the highway came up to a slight bend and when I went to turn the wheel I noticed that it was hard to turn. Thinking it was tire going flat I went to get off the highway when I went to get off on the exit the steering was almost impossible to turn had to slam on the breaks to avoid driving off the exit ramp. With all the other complaints on here it would have been nice to know that this could happen

- Sebirng , FL, USA

May 112015

Fusion

As I was making a turn my power sterring fault light came on. This happen to me three times. I cannot afford to pay for the repair or part please help. I took to Ford and cost is 1800 to fix the problem. My car needs a steering rack.

- Timmonsvillie, SC, USA

May 162015

Fusion

Started my car on Saturday morning at 9am, put it into reverse to back out of my spot, when the "power steering assist fault" and "service advance-trac" errors showed on the display. I promptly shut the vehicle down and waited one minute and restarted it, the errors were still present. I am contacting the local dealership. Thankfully this did not happen while driving on the interstate.

- Dwight, IL, USA

May 042015

Fusion

My daughter was driving and as she went to turn left, the power steering became very hard. She pulled over because she was unable to continue driving.

- Roanoke Rapids, NC, USA