3.7

1998 Nissan Altima electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Nissan Altima:

1998 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Jun 202005

Altima 4-cyl

After arriving home safely from a long highway drive (7 hrs), our car sat for about 5 hours. When I started the car, I smelled smoke and heard a unusual rubbing noise under the hood. After popping the hood, I saw smoke pouring out of the alternator. I turned off the engine, went inside to get a fire extinguisher. The fire was still burning, but seemed to be inside the alternator. I extinguished it and hopefully saved serious engine damage. The car was towed to the dealer, and is awaiting service now.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Oct 152000

Altima

The electrical system failed and sometimes the car won't start. I replaced the alternator and battery, but it still happens.

- Fairfax, SC, USA