7.1

1. replace intake manifold gasket (54 reports)
  3. new intake fuel gasket and valve cover gasket (3 reports)
2001 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Nissan Altima:

2001 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Jun 232007

Altima GXE

I have the same problem with my 2001 Nissan Altima GXE. Around 65,000 miles the check engine came on and the dealer said it was the intake manifold gasket, so they repaired it under warranty. Now at around 80,000 miles the check engine light came back on, and this time the car shakes when it idles. I have to put it in neutral or hold down the gas & brake pedal at the same time to stop it from shaking. From the looks of it, it will happen a 3rd time after its fixed again! I think its going to be time for a trade in before the next intake manifold gasket problem!

- , Temple City, CA, USA

Aug 082007

Altima GXE 2.4L

As everybody else with this problem, my Altima shakes at idle, but not all of the time (especially when the mechanic has it). The problem started a few weeks ago and I feel certain that it will get worse. I took the car to a mechanic and he did a full tune up: plugs, wires, fuel filter, and it still idles rough occasionally. When it started again, my wife found this website and the mechanic is working on replacing the manifold gasket as I type this. This website helped us save possibly more unnecessary repairs. My wife has never owned anything but a Nissan, but if they don't do something about it, she will probably own a Toyota in the near future.

- , Copperas Cove, TX, USA

Jul 282007

Altima GXE

Intake manifold gasket failed at about 80000. Replaced at local garage for $300.00. Idling rough again and carb cleaner sprayed around gasket reveals another leak at 104000 miles. Definitely not impressed with Nissan.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Apr 022007

Altima SE 2.4L

I have a Nissan Altima 2001 SE (bought new in 2001) have just above 50K miles on it. Since last couple of weeks it started having the same problem others are having with 2000 Altimas, Rough-idling. When accelarating, there is no problem, only when idling as of now. I am going to have it fixed at a local workshop here in bay area. Also the SES light is intermittently comming on.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 262007

Altima GXE 2.4L 4cyl

I can't believe Nissan hasn't recalled this issue. I need everyone to email nissan USA and let them know about this. I love Nissan Vehicles we own three and this is the first mechanical issue we have ever encounterd. The worst part is our Altima was bought two months prior to the intake manifold gasket leaking, and of course the dealership could care less about our issue. I would still live and die by Nissan the are great cars. Just a faulty part from the factory.

- , Denver, CO, USA

Mar 132007

Altima GLE 2.4L

I am having the same problem as everyone else here has, but in a different way; most owner on here said their 1st cylinder has missfire, but mine read "cylider 1 missfire" I don't know if that would be the same problem causing from the Intake gasket, but I will have my car check on tomorrow.

- , Queens, NY, USA

Oct 122006

Altima GXE

Notice the RPMs surging up an down at idle. Took it to a Nissan shop that spent and hour diagnosing to conclude that the intake manifold gasket had a leak. They said it is a common problem they see with this model. They said it could happen again.

- , Berkeley, CA, USA

May 312006

Altima

It disturbs me to see that there are so many people with this problem yet it hasn't been recalled. My theory is that because it is so hard to get to and fix they will lose money by recalling it. If there weren't so many people with the same problem, I would be fine, but it pisses me off that this car is unreliable. Nissan's credibility sucks. I did complain to the customer support line (1-800-NISSAN1). They took down my info and complaint and will get back to me. I just can't believe they are charging so much!!!!

- , Dunedin, FL, USA

Oct 112006

Altima

My car has the same problem as many reported here, vacuum leak around air intake manifold, resulted in rough idle. It is apparently a design defect.

- , Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Mar 012007

Altima GLE

I've been having the same problem for a number of weeks now. Rough idling. Acceleration problems. Nissan originally diagnosed the intake manifold leak and quoted $700 to repair. I thought I needed anther opinion and went elsewhere and was told over and over by another place that wasn't the problem and that I needed new spark plugs and a fuel injection service. Spent about $300 for someone to not fix the problem.

I am so glad I found this site. My car warranty of course just expired and now I am just at the mercy and waiting to see if Nissan will approve a GRT repair. I knew this shouldn't be happening at 43k miles. I've had no problems until now. I think it's a definite Nissan design issue! And I'm annoyed it hasn't been recalled.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 132007

Altima GXE 2.4L

Well, at this point the problem is pretty well known/documented... I guess I hit the jackpot also... the mechanic said "This problem is pretty common with these cars"... I'm just VERY disappointed to have an engine problem of this magnitude with such a low mileage car... I bought a Japanese car to avoid these (sloppy) problems... oh well...

- , Acton, MA, USA

Feb 092007

Altima

While cruising there was no problem, it was at idle and during acceleration.

- , New York Township, MO, USA

Jan 232007

Altima GXE 2.4L V4

I recently bought 2001 Nissan Altima GXE from a dealer. However after 1 month I noticed this particular problem of shaking when the car is idling. The problem is more noticeable after a short drive but not when I take my car out fresh. After long drives if I stopped at signals the shaking is embarrassing!!! However the engine doesn't stall. I guess I will check the manifold gaskets and see if it is the same cause. It is interesting to note that only 2000s and 01s are having the problem. Wish I should have checked for the possible problems before buying this car. The car is good just that it shakes

- , Paoli, PA, USA

Nov 162006

Altima GXE

I'm having the same problem as everyone else. The idle is acting wacky. I come to a complete stop at a light, it happens at every stop. My car dealership told me I needed a tune up. They were going to charge me $500 to have that done. I thought they were out of their mind... so I had my Uncle do it for me. It's a simple procedure that takes 30 mins. He did everything the dealership requested.. changed the cap, wires, plugs etc... all of that didn't solve the problem. A month later I'm still having the problem, and my check engine light came on this morning. With that said I'm taking it back to the dealership tomorrow to figure this out. And I should mention that I take my car to a nissan dealership... so they should know how to diagnose this. Considering it's happened to other people. I'm really surprised they didn't catch this problem the first time. I'll mention the solenoid valve when taking it in tomorrow. The previous posts made it clear to me. Hopefully that is the problem... otherwise I'm out of luck.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Apr 282006

Altima GXE

After $1289.00 dollars no one can tell me why the car still shakes when idling!! First they(nissan dealership) said it was a valve cover gasket leak and threw in a power steering flush and oil change of course!!! $300.00 dollars(which also included a $48.00 keyless remote to be reprogrammed that still doesn't work properly! but that's a whole new electrical story). So.... while servicing they noticed the lower intake manifold leaks as well. this will cost roughly $728.00 dollars to fix. So.... i found some place else to take it for $565.00 dollars and they threw in a much needed cooling sys. cleaner flush and 2nd oil change. The engine light still came on , car still shakes while.... guess what!!! IDLING!!!! So, after a diagnostic, it's a fuel injector problem! $250.00 dollars to repair, (plus parts and labor)$174.00. Guess what?!? the car still, that's right! shakes. To be continued...

- , Galloway, OH, USA

Nov 272006

Altima GXE 2.4L V4

I had 2001 Nissan Altima for 61 months (exactly, 1 month past the 5 year powertrain warranty), but had just 40K miles on it. At the end of the 60 month, the SES light came on, So I replaced 4 spark plugs and it went off for a couple of days. But it came on again and it idled pretty rough at traffic lights or stop signs. I took it to the dealer and they said the intake manifold gasket was leaking and the replacement cost was $850. Because it was 30 days past 5 yrs, warranty won't cover it. This is ridiculous, as the other complains suggested, this must be a design problem and we need to do something about it. If Nissan can't handle this properly, this Altima will be my first and last Nissan car I have ever bought.

- , Glen Allen, VA, USA

Sep 052006

Altima GXE

Car will shake when in D and not moving. Sometime it simply dies. Not getting the solution. Please update if anyone got any solution.

- , Overland Parl, KS, India

Aug 222006

Altima SE 2.4L V4

Basically my car is doing what everyone else has explained so far. It started with just a rough idle when sitting at a stop light or while trying to accelerate just after stopping. The RPMs would bounce between 500-800 and then it would take off and run fine once the RPMs were up.

This problem grew worse over the time period of about 2 months until I had to do something about it. I called Nissan and they said that I should bring it in. Knowing how much dealers charge I was lucky enough to find this site and figure it out without taking it to the dealer. The dealer didn't give me any hints over the phone to as what the problem was even though I am sure they knew it was frequent.

Right now the car is getting a new intake manifold gasket as we speak. I am trusting that this will be the fix. $250 for labor and $10 for the part wasn't too bad compared to what the dealer wanted to charge...

- , Amanda, OH, USA

Jul 132006

Altima

Same problem everyone else had shaking, idle rough. Changed plugs and plug wires ($280) mechanic recommended changing a fuel injector to fix the problem. Called the Nissan dealer for a second opion and they told me over the phone that it was an intake manifold gasket which tells me they've seen a lot of them. They should do a recall because its obviously a design flaw.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 092006

Altima GXE

Here's the problem, when i'm at stopped at a red light or stopped with Vehicle in [D] with Brake Engaged or during [Reverse] without pushing the accelerator, the car vibrates erratically and i can see the RPM swinging between 500 and 700. At some point it just dies. This is a real PITA [Pain In The Ass] and causes real concern if you are driving into a parking lot or coming out. It could just die on you. Once while coming out of the Parking lot. The engine shook so hard and died right at the merge on the road, this disabled my power Steering completely, i couldnt press brakes, cuz they lock up when engine shuts-off. I felt like the deer in the light.

well I took my Nissan Altima [2001] to Bankston Nissan for Engine Vibration Issue. They said its a Intake Manifold Issue and it would cost WHOPPING $700. In my mind i'm thinking this is just a rip-off. To get a second opinion, I took it to Meineke Center, at first they didnt know what it was, they did a engine diagnostic check and cleaned the fuel injectors [costed me $200] , but still no luck, finally they said it could be Spark-plugs and cables. Not heeding to their opinion just based on speculation, I didnt do anything further. But reading on this site, tells me that IT IS INDEED the Intake Manifold Gasket. I have found a local mechanic here, who does the job in $150. Will be getting it done there next week. Hope that fixes it. In the mean time, here's the Solution to keep it from dying at red light. Just shift the Gear to Neutral [N] when stopping at a red light and Slide it back to [D] to drive forward, give a 3 sec pause [for gear to engage] before pushing the accelerator. I know this gets annoying but its a intrim fix before u get that fixed.

- , Dallas, TX, USA