Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 4 of 14)

Apr 302015

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact inspected underneath the vehicle and noticed that the place where both front seats were attached had corroded. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The contact was unsure about what part needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000. MA 10/5

- Batesville, IN, USA

Apr 012014

I am the owner of a 2005 Nissan Altima. My floor boards are rusted to a point that the carpet installation is hanging on the ground. If it rains and I ride over puddles I can feel the water.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 012012

The entire floor in front of the front seats is completely rusted through to the point that you can see the road underneath the car. Ever since I purchased the vehicle the floor had holes in it (found right after I had already bought the vehicle). This is a hazard for the passengers, very common amongst Nissan Altima and should be addressed by the manufacturer. This issue makes the car unsellable since it will never pass inspection unless a major repair is done to its body. It is unacceptable that a car would have structural issues like severe rust and Nissan not do anything about it and the NHTSA not make Nissan buy the affected vehicles back.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Jul 182015

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. While having routine maintenance performed on the vehicle, the technician noticed that the passenger side floormat was visible from underneath the vehicle. The contact was informed that the lower structure of the vehicle had severe corrosion. The vehicle was not taken to be inspected nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Milford, NH, USA

Dec 052013

Passenger floorboard rusted out and was repaired at a collision repair shop in Dec. 2013. I felt branches and sticks through the floorboard. It was approximately 8" in diameter. In June 2015 I found where the drivers side is now rusted out. The car has been garaged the car has had deep rubber floor mats in the winter passenger side repair done at 122,000 miles driver's side repair done at 139,000 miles

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jul 012015

I brought my car to Firestone to have numerous repairs done on my car 6/27/15-6/30/15. While they had the car up on the lift, the tech noticed and told me that my floor boards are rusting out and he could see clear through to my carpeting. My windows have been repeatedly getting dirty from the inside and I could never figure out why. I have asthma and I am very concerned about the fumes that are entering my vehicle. This now explains why I feel the need to use my inhaler more frequently when I'm in my car or getting out of my car on shorter trips. For instance, I have a 1.5 mile ride to the train for my commute to work. By the time I get to the train, I'll need to use my inhaler again already. My car is paid off. I had planned to keep this car as long as I possibly could so I can pay down debt. Also, I had just this past weekend spent around $700 in repairs on my car. I've taken very good care of my car (I.e., regular oil changes, tire rotation, etc.). I just want Nissan to fix the problem so I can keep my car. Other than this issue, I love my car. I've had very few minor problems with it over the years and I'm overall very happy with it, except for this issue. I hope you can get them to help everyone similarly situated...updated 09/03/15

- Lisle, IL, USA

Jun 242015

This past week I had my car to the dealer for an oil change and battery. Then I took my car in for brakes. When I happened to look at the bottom of my car, I found that the floor on both the driver and passenger sides was rotting out. The dealer is always looking for problems when you take it in, but nobody mentioned the rust problem. Now I have the unexpected expense of repairing the floor. After doing research, I found out that Nissan has known of the problem for a long time now, but refuses to reimbursement or do a recall. It may not be a safety hazard, unless your foot goes through the floor, but something is not right.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 302015

Driver side floorboard is rusted out

- North Canton, OH, USA

Jun 132015

The floor of my 2005 Nissan Altima has rusted out on both sides, this shoulld be a recall because I have read that other customers have the same problem

- Dolton, IL, USA

Apr 282015

I had been aware there there was some rust on the driver's side floor pan. My Altima was recently taken to my mechanic and put on the lift for some maintenance and my mechanic took pictures to show me how extensive the rust had become. A significant portion of the floor under the driver's feet is missing and a large piece of metal is hanging down. The mechanic also noticed that the passenger side now has a small patch of rust.

- Brookhaven, PA, USA

Jun 182015

Passenger floor board rotted out from rust in a well maintained car. No other signs of damaging rust are present.

- North Ridgeville, OH, USA

Jun 202015

Just found out my car's floor boards are rusted through. I did some research and saw this is a common problem with Altima's from 2002-2006. It was not caught by my oil change people, and only came up today as I was getting it approved for a sale. This repair totals the car, which obviously put a financial hardship on me.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Aug 062013

Rusting floorboards

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jun 162015

Floor board drivers side is rusting out.

- Lawrenceburg, KY, USA

May 152015

Vehicle has extensive rust under floorboards under driver's seat. I read about other Altima from this year having this problem and found the damage to my car by taking pictures with my cell phone under the car. The car was inspected at a Nissan dealer service center about six months ago for an unrelated issue, but I believe the car would have been up on a lift, and the Nissan service people did not advise me there was rust on the underside.

- Dobbs Ferry, NY, USA

May 162015

Rusted floor panel in the front part of the car going all the way through so there is a hole. Driver and passenger side both affected.

- Allston, MA, USA

May 152015

After performing an oil change I noticed the bottom of the floor pans were rusted on both the driver and passenger side. Upon further investigation there is a hole through the floor pan into the interior of the car. I asked Nissan to fix it outside of warranty due to this being a common issue among several other Nissan Altima between 2002 - 2007. Nissan of America said they would not pay to fix it. I am hoping you (NHTSA) can help in this matter.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

May 142015

Altima 4-cyl

I am the original owner of this vehicle. I found out on line, that there is an inferior design flaw which is extremely dangerous, that involves water accumulation and severe rusting clear thru both the inner and lower floor boards, on most 2002 to 2006 Nissan's. I checked my vehicle and found on the front passenger side, I have a 6 to 8 inch hole clear thru both the inner and lower floor boards. This condition is extremely hazardous in that in addition to someone possibly falling thru the hole, engine exhaust carbon monoxide fumes as well as water can enter the vehicle. There is also the possibility of an electrical short in the wiring that can cause a fire and result in death. In reading about this defect on line it stats that repairing this problem can cost thousands of dollars and Nissan knew of this rust problem, poor water drainage condition and will not issue a recall since this condition happened after the warranty period. The inter net articles stated that hundreds of complaints have already been filed and advised persons affected by this problem to contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I thank you and appreciate your prompt attention, in looking into this matter and await your response.

- Garden City South, NY, USA

Jan 142015

Floor boards rotted from the inside out.

- Saint Johnsville , NY, USA

May 132015

I am placing a complaint against Nissan motor company for faulty flooring in their Altima models. I tried to have our car a 2005 Nissan Altima inspected today but it failed do to rusting floors under the front passenger and driver feet section. This is a well known issue now that nbc news has broke the story about this problem in one of the broad cast. Nissan should not be let off the hook with this issue so I'm writing to you in hopes that will not happen. This company screwed up now people such as my family are left wondering how to pay for something that is no fault of their own. Please do something !!!

- Bethel Park , PA, USA