CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 14)

Nov 302015

Altima

Undercarriage rust I am seeing everyone with 2002-2005 Nissan Altima are having this issue. This getting out of control

- Warwick, RI, USA

Oct 122015

Altima

Undercarriage of driver side is severely rusted. Hole in driver's seat floor.

- Danville, PA, USA

Sep 022015

Altima

The front seat floor rusted out.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Nov 042015

Altima

My 2005 Nissan Altima has holes in the front driver's side and front passenger's side floorboard due to extreme rust.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 012012

Altima

Due to a known engineering flaw, water gets caught under the floor boards and rots/rusts out the flooring. My feet are about to fall through the floor of car. Passenger side is worse. The dealer/Nissan is well aware of the issue and still will not cover it. There should be a recall on this. There is a hole in each floorboard that was put there intentionally. Since there is nothing structural to fill it water can get in when the undercoating develops cracks. Once water gets in, it just lays under the asphalt insulation and between the sheet metal and rots from inside out. I had a warranty on it and the dealers I have taken it to, many times for many jobs and maintenance, etc. Never once mentioned it. I just recently was made aware of it and Nissan will not do anything to help. They are well aware of the issue and won't do anything about it unless made to.

- Huntley, IL, USA

Oct 012015

Altima

This is a 2005 Altima well maintained throughout all these years. I found a 10"X10" hole in passenger side floor pan. It was rusted very badly inside out. It must have been developing the rust for quite a few years. It is a safety hazard and there should be a recall as so many Nissan owners are having the same issue.

- Hanover Park, IL, USA

Oct 192015

Altima

Well maintained, garaged-kept Altima had no visible body rust anywhere upon inspection last November. Today I noticed rusty flakes on the floor of my garage, and upon looking underneath the car, found that one half of the driver's side floor pan was caving in. This rust is not noticeable to the consumer until the rust is all the way thru to the exterior, at which point the weight of the foot breaks it thru the undercoating. The passenger side floorpan was also caving in. When I took up the rubber mats, floormats, and carpet/pad, I saw large holes on both driver and passenger sides which only affected one half of each floorpan. These rusted halves have a type of hard "black shingle" stuck to the floor, and from what I observed also have a small 3"X3" silver paper completely covering what should have been a drain hole. The unrusted halves are painted, have no "shingles" and no rust whatsoever despite being butted right up to the rusted halves. These "shingles" appear to be the problem, the rusted metal was firmly attached to them. This must be a design defect or someone at Nissan did not do thier job right (since the drain holes were covered up with silver paper). This rust obviously started invisibly from inside the car. I was able to easily push the rusted metal thru - I am glad I was able to discover this before someone could put thier foot thru the floor of a moving vehicle or fall asleep at the wheel due to fumes. This was fixed at at cost of $900 to me, because I have children and this is a hazard. We also have a 2000 Chevy, and a 2005 Dodge, and neither have such rust on/in the floorpans, despite being parked outside and driven in the same elements. I would like to be reimbursed for the Altima's floorpan repair as the amount of rusting is not normal for the care taken, and also is not noticeable nor preventable by the consumer.

Oct 132015

Altima 6-cyl

I took my Altima to the Nissan dealership for regular maintenance and the mechanic noticed the common rusting problem in my front passenger side floor board. There is a hole about 3-4 inches and you can look up and see the carpet. I'm really upset and wasn't aware of this issue with Altima when I bought my car preowned six months ago. It is in otherwise excellent condition, completely pampered by the previous owner and myself, and shouldn't be rusting through at this age and with only 59K miles on it. Despite what Nissan might be claiming, having large holes in your floorboard is an absolute safety hazard and I really feel concerned for the Altima owners who didn't catch the problem as early as I have, or even have yet to discover it! some of the holes that other people have experienced can fit more than a foot through!! I am also very concerned about the fumes creeping in. Now that I am informed of the design flaw, I can 100% count on my drivers side to begin rusting out too. This is really expensive to repair and I shouldn't be repaired it as it is no fault of any of us drivers, nor the rain nor the salt. It is a safety design flaw and Nissan should recall. Thank you NHTSA for listening!

- Sinking Spring, PA, USA

Oct 092015

Altima

Floor pan almost completely rusted out. Vehicle was inspected today and reported severe rust, to the point that feet may be able to go through the floor soon.

Sep 302015

Altima

While I was parked at home I was examining the underside of my 2005 Altima and to my shock found a 12 inch by 10 inch section of rust with large flakes coming from the floor panel on my passenger side. There are holes in this section that are penetrating through the layers towards the inside of the car. The drivers side has the beginning of rust and cracking floor panel as well. I am cannot believe this, I am the second owner and have meticulously maintained the car just as the first owner had and there is no rust anywhere else on the body. I researched this rusted out floor paneling and found that there are news stories and that it is a nationwide problem that Nissan needs to address! I do not feel safe structurally with the rust compromising strength and safety and I do not want to have any passengers ride in that seat. Clearly there is a major issue that has been going on for some time to reach this extent! I believe this is a design flaw because of the rusting out of the floor panels from the inside out! I had the rusted out floor panels examined by a local body shop and they quoted me $2500+ that is outrageous and leaves me to deal with a problem that is not my fault, but failure of the materials.

- Tipp City, OH, USA

Sep 282015

Altima

Noticed a large piece of something hanging from undercarriage. Took to body shop who stated both driver's and passenger's sides are severely rusted with multiple holes up to 6 inches totally through to carpet and interior. Considered a safety risk due to exposure of fumes/gases from engine/exhaust as well as the risk of "falling through". rest of car looks good no visible rust on frame or rear. No history of collisions or impact damage. We are not in an area of great road salt need nor near an ocean. Estimate to repair over $1000. Advised not safe to drive or sell as is. Noticed in complaints, this has been an issue since at least 2010. Why has a recall not been issued?

- Vine Grove, KY, USA

Sep 262015

Altima

Part of the floor pan under the passenger side foot area fell off the car and onto my driveway. I now have a hole in my floorboard and can touch the rug.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

Sep 292015

Altima

The driver and passenger side floor boards have rusted/ rotted out. It is only visible from underneath the car. It was discovered by my mechanic when the car was on a lift.

- Nesconset, NY, USA

Aug 122015

Altima

On a recent scheduled maintenance visit to the Nissan dealership, I was informed that my 2005 Nissan Altima had a hole in the floor pan. My Altima is in otherwise excellent condition with less than 42,000 miles. I was told this has been an ongoing issue with this year and model Nissan, and it could cost thousands of dollars to fix it. It was also explained that Nissan has a plate that could be ordered for $700, which would correct the problem. You can buy a new Altima front floor pan from a company on the internet for $79.95. Why is Nissan gouging the consumer by charging $700. Shame on you Nissan for adding insult to injury. Nissan should be responsible for this repair. This should certainly warrant a recall by Nissan due to a manufacturing defect, thus causing a safety issue.

- Essington, PA, USA

Sep 242015

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the floor pan on the front passenger side was prematurely rusted and corroded. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

Sep 132015

Altima

I noticed rust flakes on the ground under the front of the car. There is a large rust hole (about 6"X6") in the front passenger side floorboard. The front driver side has a slightly smaller hole. The body shop estimate is $1425 to repair - they have seen other Altima with this problem. Called 1-800-nissan1 to register a complaint and was told "there is nothing Nissan can do at this time". I purchased the car new in June 2005.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Sep 032015

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. When the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for a state inspection, it was determined that there was severe corrosion underneath the driver side floorboard. In addition, there were large holes. The contact was informed that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000. The VIN was not available. MA 10/22/2015

- Dayton, VA, USA

Dec 312014

Altima

Severe rust on floor boards of 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S. Hole approximately 6" diameter has rusted through the floor boards, leaving the carpet wet after driving through rain. Noticed de, 2014 also, engine oil pan has rusted through, oil leaking through the pan. No, not through the gasket or the seal, through a perforation in the oil pan. Noticed at 80kmiles, Aug, 2015

- Cumberland, NY, USA

Sep 012015

Altima

The Nissan dealership, kelly Nissan of stoneham MA, informed me that there was a hole in the floor board due to rust. The rust seems localized to an area about 1 foot X 1 foot on both the driver and passenger side floor boards. I believe this is a hazardous situation for driver and passenger. I believe this rusting is due to a manufacturing defect because of the localized nature of the rust.

- Lexington, MA, USA

Aug 222015

Altima

Noticed metal hanging off bottom of car on the passenger side while it was parked in a parking lot. Got home and discovered that the coating underneath the car is peeling off and that the floor board is rusting through. At 10 years old, this should not be happening. I have a 16 year old car and it is fine. This car was recalled and treated not long after I bought it because I live in a salt state. This is a safety issue as a passenger could fall through the bottom of the car. I will be contacting Nissan on Monday but I doubt they will do anything about it. (Altima 3.5 sl-V6)

- Troy, IL, USA