Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 14)

Oct 012015

This is a 2005 Altima well maintained throughout all these years. I found a 10"X10" hole in passenger side floor pan. It was rusted very badly inside out. It must have been developing the rust for quite a few years. It is a safety hazard and there should be a recall as so many Nissan owners are having the same issue.

- Hanover Park, IL, USA

Oct 192015

Well maintained, garaged-kept Altima had no visible body rust anywhere upon inspection last November. Today I noticed rusty flakes on the floor of my garage, and upon looking underneath the car, found that one half of the driver's side floor pan was caving in. This rust is not noticeable to the consumer until the rust is all the way thru to the exterior, at which point the weight of the foot breaks it thru the undercoating. The passenger side floorpan was also caving in. When I took up the rubber mats, floormats, and carpet/pad, I saw large holes on both driver and passenger sides which only affected one half of each floorpan. These rusted halves have a type of hard "black shingle" stuck to the floor, and from what I observed also have a small 3"X3" silver paper completely covering what should have been a drain hole. The unrusted halves are painted, have no "shingles" and no rust whatsoever despite being butted right up to the rusted halves. These "shingles" appear to be the problem, the rusted metal was firmly attached to them. This must be a design defect or someone at Nissan did not do thier job right (since the drain holes were covered up with silver paper). This rust obviously started invisibly from inside the car. I was able to easily push the rusted metal thru - I am glad I was able to discover this before someone could put thier foot thru the floor of a moving vehicle or fall asleep at the wheel due to fumes. This was fixed at at cost of $900 to me, because I have children and this is a hazard. We also have a 2000 Chevy, and a 2005 Dodge, and neither have such rust on/in the floorpans, despite being parked outside and driven in the same elements. I would like to be reimbursed for the Altima's floorpan repair as the amount of rusting is not normal for the care taken, and also is not noticeable nor preventable by the consumer.

Oct 132015

Altima 6-cyl

I took my Altima to the Nissan dealership for regular maintenance and the mechanic noticed the common rusting problem in my front passenger side floor board. There is a hole about 3-4 inches and you can look up and see the carpet. I'm really upset and wasn't aware of this issue with Altima when I bought my car preowned six months ago. It is in otherwise excellent condition, completely pampered by the previous owner and myself, and shouldn't be rusting through at this age and with only 59K miles on it. Despite what Nissan might be claiming, having large holes in your floorboard is an absolute safety hazard and I really feel concerned for the Altima owners who didn't catch the problem as early as I have, or even have yet to discover it! some of the holes that other people have experienced can fit more than a foot through!! I am also very concerned about the fumes creeping in. Now that I am informed of the design flaw, I can 100% count on my drivers side to begin rusting out too. This is really expensive to repair and I shouldn't be repaired it as it is no fault of any of us drivers, nor the rain nor the salt. It is a safety design flaw and Nissan should recall. Thank you NHTSA for listening!

- Sinking Spring, PA, USA

Oct 092015

Floor pan almost completely rusted out. Vehicle was inspected today and reported severe rust, to the point that feet may be able to go through the floor soon.

Sep 302015

While I was parked at home I was examining the underside of my 2005 Altima and to my shock found a 12 inch by 10 inch section of rust with large flakes coming from the floor panel on my passenger side. There are holes in this section that are penetrating through the layers towards the inside of the car. The drivers side has the beginning of rust and cracking floor panel as well. I am cannot believe this, I am the second owner and have meticulously maintained the car just as the first owner had and there is no rust anywhere else on the body. I researched this rusted out floor paneling and found that there are news stories and that it is a nationwide problem that Nissan needs to address! I do not feel safe structurally with the rust compromising strength and safety and I do not want to have any passengers ride in that seat. Clearly there is a major issue that has been going on for some time to reach this extent! I believe this is a design flaw because of the rusting out of the floor panels from the inside out! I had the rusted out floor panels examined by a local body shop and they quoted me $2500+ that is outrageous and leaves me to deal with a problem that is not my fault, but failure of the materials.

- Tipp City, OH, USA

Sep 282015

Noticed a large piece of something hanging from undercarriage. Took to body shop who stated both driver's and passenger's sides are severely rusted with multiple holes up to 6 inches totally through to carpet and interior. Considered a safety risk due to exposure of fumes/gases from engine/exhaust as well as the risk of "falling through". rest of car looks good no visible rust on frame or rear. No history of collisions or impact damage. We are not in an area of great road salt need nor near an ocean. Estimate to repair over $1000. Advised not safe to drive or sell as is. Noticed in complaints, this has been an issue since at least 2010. Why has a recall not been issued?

- Vine Grove, KY, USA

Sep 262015

Part of the floor pan under the passenger side foot area fell off the car and onto my driveway. I now have a hole in my floorboard and can touch the rug.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

Sep 292015

The driver and passenger side floor boards have rusted/ rotted out. It is only visible from underneath the car. It was discovered by my mechanic when the car was on a lift.

- Nesconset, NY, USA

Aug 122015

On a recent scheduled maintenance visit to the Nissan dealership, I was informed that my 2005 Nissan Altima had a hole in the floor pan. My Altima is in otherwise excellent condition with less than 42,000 miles. I was told this has been an ongoing issue with this year and model Nissan, and it could cost thousands of dollars to fix it. It was also explained that Nissan has a plate that could be ordered for $700, which would correct the problem. You can buy a new Altima front floor pan from a company on the internet for $79.95. Why is Nissan gouging the consumer by charging $700. Shame on you Nissan for adding insult to injury. Nissan should be responsible for this repair. This should certainly warrant a recall by Nissan due to a manufacturing defect, thus causing a safety issue.

- Essington, PA, USA

Sep 242015

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the floor pan on the front passenger side was prematurely rusted and corroded. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

Sep 132015

I noticed rust flakes on the ground under the front of the car. There is a large rust hole (about 6"X6") in the front passenger side floorboard. The front driver side has a slightly smaller hole. The body shop estimate is $1425 to repair - they have seen other Altima with this problem. Called 1-800-nissan1 to register a complaint and was told "there is nothing Nissan can do at this time". I purchased the car new in June 2005.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Sep 032015

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. When the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for a state inspection, it was determined that there was severe corrosion underneath the driver side floorboard. In addition, there were large holes. The contact was informed that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000. The VIN was not available. MA 10/22/2015

- Dayton, VA, USA

Dec 312014

Severe rust on floor boards of 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S. Hole approximately 6" diameter has rusted through the floor boards, leaving the carpet wet after driving through rain. Noticed de, 2014 also, engine oil pan has rusted through, oil leaking through the pan. No, not through the gasket or the seal, through a perforation in the oil pan. Noticed at 80kmiles, Aug, 2015

- Cumberland, NY, USA

Sep 012015

The Nissan dealership, kelly Nissan of stoneham MA, informed me that there was a hole in the floor board due to rust. The rust seems localized to an area about 1 foot X 1 foot on both the driver and passenger side floor boards. I believe this is a hazardous situation for driver and passenger. I believe this rusting is due to a manufacturing defect because of the localized nature of the rust.

- Lexington, MA, USA

Aug 222015

Noticed metal hanging off bottom of car on the passenger side while it was parked in a parking lot. Got home and discovered that the coating underneath the car is peeling off and that the floor board is rusting through. At 10 years old, this should not be happening. I have a 16 year old car and it is fine. This car was recalled and treated not long after I bought it because I live in a salt state. This is a safety issue as a passenger could fall through the bottom of the car. I will be contacting Nissan on Monday but I doubt they will do anything about it. (Altima 3.5 sl-V6)

- Troy, IL, USA

Aug 192015

As you well know by now, the numerous documented issues with 2002-2006 Nissan Altima has alas reached my Nissan Altima. Floorboard is rusting intensely but I am not do rich so can't afford the thousands of dollars that every mechanic (I paid to inspect by the way) is quoting me. Nothing much to add to this description because no one is going to do anything about this anyway. Issue has been on local newscasts so my insignificant contribution of filing complaint is strictly to join the cause in mind and spirit. By no means trying to sound insensitive instead truthful; it's clear someone will have to die before things change, just hope isn't is me.

- Rosedale, NY, USA

Nov 092012

In 2013 I took my car to an auto body shop to have them fix my bumper and they realized a hole underneath my passenger floor. They told me it was completely rotted through and I had the problem fixed at the cost 700 dollars. Now its 2015 and I'm having the same problem all over again. I don't really want to put this money back into this car if it's just going to happen again 2 years. Nissan really needs to figure out what they're going to do with this problem. I see a lot of other people having the same problem and they're doing nothing about it this is a safety concern someone could possibly fall through the floor.

- East Providence , RI, USA

Aug 092015

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while in park, the contact noticed that there were holes in the floor board of the vehicle underneath the driver and passenger side area. The contact mentioned that the failure was due to corrosion. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- West Hempstead, NY, USA

Aug 092015

When I was working on the brakes on my 2005 Nissan Altima, I placed my floor jack underneath the car I realized the drivers side floor board is starting to rust through to the inside of the car. When I went to passenger side the floor board was starting to do the same thing. Both sides are starting to rot all the way through to the inside of the car. I find this unbelievable that a car that is so well kept could have this problem. This is something Nissan needs to recognize as a design flaw. I have had other vehicles that never had floor boards rust away so prematurely. If Nissan does not recognize this as a design flaw this will be my last Nissan bought from the car company. I have been very loyal to the brand. I can't even imagine what the repair cost would be.

- West Hempstead , NY, USA

Jul 152015

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being inspected, the inspector observed that the front driver's and passenger side floor board were rotted and rusted through. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was confirmed that the front driver's and passenger side floor boards were severely rusted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 113,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Assonet, MA, USA