Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 14)

Jul 202016

Brought my 2005 Nissan Altima to mechanic for service. He noticed both driver side and passenger side floorboards rotted out. Each side has a 6" - 8" wide X ~18" long rectangular hole in the floorboard underneath the carpet. You are able to push up on the carpet from underneath the vehicle on both sides. The only thing separating the driver or passenger's feet from the road in these areas is the carpeting.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Sep 182016

My Altima is well maintained car bought all new from Nissan dealership. State of Pennsylvania needs state inspection done every year and this year my Altima failed safety inspection. Meaning, my car is deemed not safe to drive on the street because of Nissan Altima's design flaw making floor-board behind front wheels go rusted. I use the car to commute everyday to work, unknowingly exposing myself to unforeseen danger. Nissan should have addressed this common issue happening to many other consumers before any life threatening incident occur to their so called "customers".

- Oakdale, PA, USA

Aug 242016

My 2005 Nissan Altima passenger side floorboard has rusted through. After speaking with a local welding shop I discovered that this is a "typical" issue with older Nissan's. they informed me they have seen this on about 6 Nissan's in my area. I feel even if a recall has not been called, I should have been informed somehow of the potential issue. There seems to be a design flaw as this is not just a rare occurrence. My vehicle has just under 107,000 miles and I am baffled how the other body areas show no signs of rust with the exception of one area of floorboard. I am not providing a photo as this has been reported nationally for some time now and it doesn't appear anything will be done about it. You can google "Nissan floorboard rust" if you need a visual.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Aug 162016

Rust through of undercarriage under passenger and driver seats. Widely known problem that Nissan is aware of but refuses to issue a recall on. The rust occurs from the inside out due to inadequate drainage of water. Found out about it just today while getting an oil change.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Aug 092016

I purchased a used 2005 Nissan Altima - only to find my passenger floor near the door is rotted/rusted out!! I do not have money to spend thousands to repair this. Why isn't there a recall? I have seen many many posts on the matter but unfortunately only after I bought the car!

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Aug 032016

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. While the vehicle was parked on an incline, the contact observed that the floorboard on the front passenger side was corroding through and a hole was forming. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 137,000.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Jul 162016

I just noticed my floorboard is rusted on the passenger side. I didn't notice this until maybe a couple weeks ago when a part of the rug T J at covers it came apart and when I looked through I can see the ground.

- Perth Amboy, NJ, USA

Jul 302016

We noticed something hanging down from under passenger side and found that both sides of the floorboard are comepletely rusted out with big holes in the floor!! we have a 2005 Nissan Altima. We called a body shop and they said it would cost over $2000 to fix. How is this not a recall and safety issue"? Nissan do you not care about your customers safety?" we were gonna buy another Nissan maybe a Nissan rogue but if this is how they(Nissan) take care of their owners then im not so sure!! step up Nissan and do the right thing!!!!!

- Loves Park, IL, USA

Jul 212016

Saw something hanging down underneath driver side floor board. Took in for oil change and was told both front floor pans rusted through and carpet showing underneath car.

- Lebanon, IL, USA

Jul 132016

I noticed something hanging down under the vehicle directly under the drivers side. I had a neighbor who is a mechanic look under the car. He told me that the under carriage floor board was completely rusted through and was so bad it would be dangerous to continue driving it. I can't afford the repair. What can I do?

- Pewaukee, WI, USA

Jul 072016

Floor panels rusting completely through. Tire mechanic noted that "driver foot well has rusted through and carpet is visible on underside of vehicle". internet search strongly suggests that this is a design flaw in the water drainage system of Altima made during this time frame (as you are aware). Car runs beautifully otherwise, but I have to believe that having the carpet visible from underneath is a safety issue that should be addressed by Nissan.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Jun 262016

The floor boards on both the driver side and passenger side have rotted out. We discovered this problem when my wife accidentally pushed her foot through the floor while driving 70 miles per hour on the highway. Fortunately she wasn't hurt. Judging by the extent of the rust, this has likely been an unknown issue since before I bought it 3 years ago. I would guess that it was significantly rusted well before 100K miles.

- Prior Lake, MN, USA

Dec 012015

Rusted floor panels on both sides up front

- Davenport, IA, USA

Jun 182016

Deeply rotting floor board under passenger side. 2005 Nissan Altima with only 83000 miles.

- Huntington, NY, USA

Jun 112016

Floor under the passenger seat rotted out, hole exposed to the outside.

- Norton, MA, USA

May 152016

There is a rust/corrosion hole in the floorboard below the drivers feet. I'm sure it has been there for a while but I just noticed it recently because I saw a piece of the floor dangling below the car.

- Oregon, WI, USA

Dec 012015

2005 Nissan Altima with 60,000 miles on it needed drivers side floor replaced, dealer tried to tell me this was from snow and salt. Vehicle is located in philadelphia and not driven in this type of weather. Nissan manufactures a replacement set of floor pans but does not recognize the defect. I had to buy the set so I have the passenger side for when that rust out. This was not a cheap fix and based on age, condition and mileage, this should never have happened.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 222016

My front floorboards rotted out resulting in a safety issue and a $1,200 repair bill. It was discovered at a Rhode Island state inspection.

- Narragansett, RI, USA

Jan 012016

Many complaints are on the web from owners of Nissan Altima regarding floor boards rusting away. My 2005 Nissan Altima has such a problem even though it is garage kept. I am afraid that I will fall through the rusted out floor boards or my seat will fall through while I or any other driver is driving the vehicle. I 1st noticed how flimsy the floor boards were made after a week of having the car. This is a dangerous situation that the manufacturer should recall this car to fix. Please see the following web site: Https:// my friend spend over $1000 to have the floor boards repaired and I know more. Thanks julio mora

- Flushing, NY, USA

Nov 012015

From the auto body shop's diagnostic & estimate report: "rf interior foot space sunk in more" & "floor board rusted out on both front driver & passenger sides". in other words, the metal floor panels in front of both front seats have prematurely corroded to failure, in which the floor is no longer safely supports the occupants & the barrier between inside & outside the vehicle has been breached. Upon investigation this problem is a common with vehicles of this make, model, & year. The metal floor panel & its corrosion resistance are the manufacturer's error & are a safety risk to the users. I am worried about the possibility of a foot or item falling through the floor, exhaust or other fumes entering the interior, & the car's performance in an accident.

- Chicago, IL, USA