CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 122008

Altima 4-cyl

Motor mount failure. This is a continuing problem starting at 20000 miles. There are numerous internet and blogs with other Nissan owners experiencing the same problem causing hundreds of dollars in repairs and other safety problems like exhaust manifold cracks leaking into the environment.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Dec 102012

Altima 4-cyl

This recall number, #03V084 describes my situation precisely. My vehicle currently has 97,000 miles on the odometer and I have been experiencing (over the last course of a year) severe oil consumption. Soon after I changed my oil in may of 2013, I began to notice unusual engine noise. I took my vehicle to a mechanic and he discovered that my motor was only running on a quart and a half of oil. The mechanic replenished my oil to its normal level and since then, the motor consumes oil at an abnormally rapid rate. According to the NHTSA"?S recall #03V084, the catalytic converter disintegrates and the particles of the converter are drawn back into the motor, which causes scaring on the cylinder walls. This problem is the only logical explanation for my vehicle's rapid oil consumption. It?"S my intention to approach Nissan of North America about this issue. I would greatly appreciate your support.

- Pinole, CA, USA

Sep 102008

Altima 4-cyl

I purchased this car brand new. A little after it was 3 years (08)that I had it the transmission went out. Nissan told me that the car was over mileage so I was responsible out of pocket. So I took it to a mechanic 1200 dollars out of pocket, a little over a year (09), same problem another 1200, in 2012 once again another 1000 and now as of last month transmission number 4 another 1000. As of today July 30. 2013 the car once again is stalling. Friend of mind told me bout the class action lawsuit bout the Nissan trans. As a woman who depends on her car alot I can tell you that owning this car has not been pleasant at all. I have had it stall on me at busy intersections, highways, and in the middle of the nite while working. Nissan doesn't seem to realize that their way of doing business and hiding the truth behind their defective vehicles is and continues to put people lives in jeopardy. All they care about is their product being out on the street. If I would have known that such a pretty car was a piece of crack, I would have spent alot less than 20000 dollars on a new car that was so called good quality.

- Lakewood, NJ, USA

Jun 172013

Altima

I have a 2005 Altima SE-R 3.5 V6 I was leaving a mcdonald's parking lot and as soon as I put the car in reverse there was a hard jerk and the transmission did not engage properly. The car reversed after a couple seconds and when I put it in drive a hard jerk and the car was in 5th gear. No other gears were available. I parked the car and shut if off...after a few seconds I started it back up and threw it in reverse and got the same result, I put it in drive then tiptronic and saw a 5 (5th gear). I called a couple friends and mechanics they said it a fail safe. So I waited again and tried to restart the car and it took a good 10-15 seconds to crank and after I reversed the car would die. I was only trying to get home (1 mike down the road) because I did not trust this car to bring me anywhere at this point. After a couple start then shut downs and letting the car sit for a few I was able to get the car running and driving in all the gears. I got on the boulevard and I was going about 20-30 and the car dies on me. Luckily it was the middle of the night and the was no traffic. I restart the car and its running in 5th gear for about 10-15 seconds and then I see my rpms going up as speed going down. The transmission was not engaging and I knew something was definitely wrong at this point. I pull to the side and pop the hood, the was so much heat but the car was not overheating. I call my mechanic and he says let it sit a bit. 20 minutes later, car cooled down a bit and a reliable friend and mechanic come help me push the car into a parking lot. We later find out the transmission failed. Fluid was still red, not burned but something else was going on inside. $2000+ later and a replacement tranny the car is up but still dying at random times, won't start. Diagnosis crank and camshaft sensors. The transmission also goes straight to 5th gear and car stalls in traffic.

- Port Saint Lucie , FL, USA

Jun 262010

Altima 4-cyl

After driving in stop and go traffic on a very hot day, the clutch pedal lost pressure and was very difficult to use and shift gears. The pedal lost all but the last amount of pressure. This has happened multiple times since the first incident. Always occurs in warm, humid weather and heavy usage. Could be very dangerous if all pressure is lost and shifting is impossible. This must be corrected!

- Roscoe, IL, USA

May 182013

Altima 4-cyl

Car felt hot even after sitting and when weather was cool. Car cut off on me at a stoplight, and another time while stopped. Car seemed to slip gears a few times.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Dec 112012

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the vehicle jerked as it changed gears. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Nov 182012

Altima 6-cyl

While driving in the highway vehicle lost power and engine shut off, was barely able to get to the side of the freeway before the car came to a complete stop. It was the most scary experience I have ever had in my life. The ses light came on only after loosing all control. I was told at the shop that this is a common issue with some Altima and that they had a recall.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 152011

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan maxima. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph the vehicle began to decelerate and shift out of gears. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated the transmission would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Saint Albans, NY, USA

Oct 172010

Altima 6-cyl

Clutch pedal began to creak when depressed and would begin to engage very close to the floor when car was driven in town and reached normal operating temperature. First failure was shortly after that when returning from a family trip to Missouri to Colorado. Clutch pedal fell to floor and remained there, preventing a downshift or to neutral. "floated" the transmission into neutral and pulled pedal back up with my foot. Was able to get the car home by lifting the pedal after every shift. Replacement of the clutch master and slave cylinders, and welding the housing of the clutch pedal due to (stress fractures) resolved the issue for about 11 months/15,000 miles, when the issue began again. After a few more months the entire clutch system; clutch plate (not worn out), clutch cover, flywheel assembly, master and slave cylinder, pedal assembly and rubber hydraulic line were replaced. The system was thoroughly flushed and bled for trapped air. Issue was resolved until a few weeks ago (6 months after replacing the system) when the problem resurfaced. Bleeding of the system was again performed with no change: Pedal will fall to the floor and stay there if held for 1-2 seconds. If the pedal is depressed about 1-2 inches and help for a few seconds, it will begin to pull itself to the floor with no assistance from the driver at all. I am planning to replace the entire hydraulic system once again.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Oct 062012

Altima

I purchased my 2005 Nissan Altima on October 6, 2012 with the assurance from the dealership that the transmission was good and strong. My wife drove the vehicle home and upon arriving home she said that it was driving rough. Not knowing anything about vehicles, she stated that it drove like someone learning to drive a manual car. She said that it was jerking and shifting hard like it was in the wrong gear(especially upon accelerating between 1st and 2nd gear and when coming to a stop, downshift is really hard. Also coming from reverse to drive, it would idle as if in neutral when pressing the gas then suddenly jump very hard into actual drive). She became to frightened to drive the car. In meanwhile I took the vehicle to a local Nissan dealer(not the Nissan dealership it was purchased from) to have it checked out and it was said that I needed to replace the transmission. I called the Nissan dealership out in gwinnett, Georgia where I purchased the vehicle and told them of the problem. They told me to bring it in and have them check it. I took it not knowing if it would even make it. They checked it out and indeed it was the transmission needing to be replaced. The Nissan dealership would not resume any responsibility for fixing my vehicle because I bought it "as is". as I read the cmplaints on this site and about a pending class action suit against Nissan for faulty transmission design in the 2005-2006 Altima and other Nissan vehicles, it is apparent to me, that they need to do a recall before someone gets into an accident and gets killed. Nissan knows this transmission is poorly designed and have done nothing but take peoples money in replacing the transmission a $3,000-$4,000 cost. Usually at the customers expense because car is out of warranty. One more thing, there is no warning that anything is wrong with the car, no service engine soon light -nothing. Help!!

- Hartwell, GA, USA

Mar 052010

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. While driving approximately 20 mph, a loud banging noise emitted from the transmission as the gears failed to shift properly. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who replaced the defective transmission. Two years later, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a transmission auto center where the transmission was being rebuilt. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 113,800....updated11/21/12 updated 11/30/2012

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 062012

Altima 4-cyl

Rattling noise in engine, unusual engine vibration and muffler sound coming from engine. This can be dangerous this screw is located in the engine and could cause $7500 dollars of damage. If this screw was to come loose it could ruin engine compressor, destroy the exhaust manifold, O2 sensor and power valve plates. I search to see if there was a recall on this and it seem to be or talk of it. Call dealership to see if a recall was issued. Some website suggest there was one, what has happen to quality products. If there was one they are not upholding it. Recall should never expire, for public safety...updated 10/24/12 the consumer would like to retract her complaint. The vehicle has since been repaired. Updated 10/25/12

- Trenton, NC, USA

Sep 082012

Altima 6-cyl

After 20 min or so of idling in traffic, then a 10 minute freeway drive at legal speeds I was approaching the off ramp and the clutch went to the floor, no hydraulic pressure. I was able to move out of the way of traffic without incident and pull over. After 10 min of talking to my insurance company for a tow, I noticed partial pressure restored and drove slowly home. Now, with research, I have seen this is extremely common and dangerous. Too many complaints have been filed online and with Nissan, yet there is no resolution and what's worse, no specific answer to the problem. I hope NHTSA doesn't wait for a serious injury or death to occur before this is looked into, a google search of Altima clutch recall brings up over a dozen forums with numerous complaints of the same problem.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jun 062012

Altima

The clutch pedal lost pressure after idling for over thirty minutes, while in traffic, and after the engine has gotten hot and being driven for a couple of hours. The pedal will fall to the floor and you cannot switch gears. The stick shift won't even move into neutral and the car jerks really hard. It will sometimes cut off in the middle of driving if you don't reach down and pull the pedal up with your hand. This has cause me to run off the road because I could not down shift or go into neutral, I recently ended up tapping the rear of someone elses vehicle at which my daughter is still complaining her neck hurts. This is a defective part dealing with the hydraulics and is very dangerous. A lawsuit is sure to be on the way now that I have wen to several dealerships only for them to tell me nothing is wrong with the car because it won't do it for them. All Nissan forums are filled with customers having the same issues with these year model cars. Nissan is about to kill somebody.

- Hephzibah, GA, USA

Jun 162012

Altima

Clutch loses pressure and sits on the floor. Shifting is minimal and extremely forced to get in to gear. This happened from a stop, getting on a highway. A month later, it is happening again. With two small children, this makes me nervous to drive with them in the car. I have researched and found an unacceptable amount of complaints regarding the same exact problem. Why has this not been a recall issue yet?? I suggest it becomes one, before numerous lawsuits, from accidents, occur.....

- Snohomish, WA, USA

Mar 152012

Altima 6-cyl

While driving the clutch pedal will loose all pressure and will fall to the floor. The vehicle must be shut off and left prior the pressure building back up in the clutch. This is extremely dangerous as the driver is unable to shift gears or put the vehicle in neutral. This is a notorious problem with all Nissan Altima SE-R with manual gear boxes. This problem will cause an accident and get someone killed.

- Calgary, AL, USA

Apr 282011

Altima 6-cyl

Clutch failure - repeated, temporary clutch failure. Frequency is unpredictable and random - sometimes months apart between occurances. Duration of occurance has not exceeded 10 minutes, then clutch behavior is normal and can drive normally. Petal "sticks" to floor and must be pulled up by hand in order to engage and change gears. All parts of clutch assembly have been replaced (petal, master and slave hyd. Cylinder, corroded bleeder valve) and problem continues to happen.

- Bear, DE, USA

Oct 102011

Altima 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5se. It's a one-owner, and was brand new when I bought it. This car has been relatively dependable--my issue is this: I noticed a metal "whirring" sound around 50000mi whenever I would pull out from an idle position. I inquired about the noise through a mechanic employed with the dealership I bought the car from--of course, the mechanic said--"those things tend to be a little noisy by nature, on occasion!" so, I continued to drive my "occasionally noisy" Altima for another 58000 miles. Just paid the thing off 2 months before my major issue occurred. I apparently was a fortunate Nissan owner (even though I don't feel like it)--because apparently Altima and maximas are notorious for timing chain failure. Seems the chain gets a little "used" and begins making the noise I experienced, and then can ultimately completely fail. Needless to say...I have a $2,000+ repair on my hands.the mechanic I am hiring said that most Nissan with timing chain issues fail long before mine did (mileage-wise!).my problem is with Nissan, because Nissan is aware of these timing chain failures, and does nothing about them. My car should have been on a recall thousands of miles ago, but wasn't...because Nissan has been allowed to overlook some very important mechanical issues. I need a timing chain, or my car is of no use whatsoever to me.the replacement part for my timing chain is not the original part that was put on my car from the factory! imagine that! Nissan knows that they put "bum" parts on our Altima and maximas when they were built in their factories! --- I say Nissan should be forced to replace every single timing chain that they put on our american-bought Nissan cars--at no cost to the consumers. They should be forced to recall.

- Bluefield, WV, USA

Jan 272011

Altima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle violently jerks while accelerating and decelerating. The failure occurred at all speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the motor mounts were replaced; however, the failure continued. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Waldorf, MD, USA