Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 072016

The car pick up to slow and then start picking up little by little

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 052007

An existing recall on this vehicle should include the 3.5L engine as well as camshaft/crankshaft and tcm. All cause similar life-threatening symptoms while driving the vehicle suddenly powers completely off briefly losing all power to lights etc, decelerate rapidly and you lose steering control and speed control. Vehicles come up on you quickly at night and even if you get the vehicle restarted you have no power in transmission and merely limp on at an idle speed. Very very dangerous. Why it wasn't included in the original 2007 recall is Nissan trying to save a buck. They used the same mfg & same parts as in the 2.5L. They knowingly withheld it from being included. I also contacted them about the tcm. Keep in mind the were biting their nails after being presented with a class action suite regarding the defective tcm. Luckily for them it was dismissed temporarily. But they never mentioned any similar complaints when they responded to me and never offered any resolution to the problem.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Mar 112016

Check engine light due to error code P0335 which is camshaft position sensor, my car hesitate to start, need more cranking, as per Nissan so many vehicles were recalled for this code but if I give my VIN # they said there is no recall, I am the original owner of this vehicle, all the maintenances are up to date and currently I have only 72000 miles, I am requesting to recall 2005 Nissan Altima as soon as possible

- Hicksville, NY, USA

Aug 072015

Crankshaft position sensor same thing is happening to the 2005 summary: On certain passenger vehicles equipped with a 2.5L engine, the crankshaft position sensor can overheat causing a brief interruption in the signal output from the sensor. Consequence: If the interruption in the signal from the crankshaft position sensor is so brief that the electronic control module (ECM) logic does not have time to diagnose the condition, the engine may stop running without warning while the vehicle is driven at a low speed increasing the risk of a crash.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

May 142015

Car shuddered and RPM dropped and then came back up to current RPM level. Came to stop light and vehicle was then put into limp mode. Would not accelerate and RPM's would not go over 2000. Pulled over and turned car off. Restarted car and began to try and drive it again. Service engine light came on and vehicle would not shift gears. Tried to manually shift the automatic trans and it would hit hard upon gear shifts but was able to make it home the remaining few miles.. brought vehicle in to a mechanics shop the next morning and the codes indicate cam position sensor failures. I see numerous complaints and a recall for this under R2022 but of course my vehicle is not listed. This appears to be a common problem and all vehicles should be included in this recall as it is completely dangerous issue that comes out of nowhere while driving the vehicle. I am waiting for the vehicle to be repaired to see if the problem is completely resolved at my expense. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

- Oswego, IL, USA

Aug 182014

Altima 6-cyl

On August 18, 2014, after dropping my son off at school. I came to stop at a traffic light and when the light changed, I started to take off and noticed the car has shut down. I eventually made it home with the car going a very low speed and then speed up, but when car to a start the engine stalls. The vehicle was put on a computer to see what the diagnosis were and it was the camshaft sensors and crankshaft sensor costing $80 dollars for two and $70 for another, however these items has been changed along with a tune up and the car is doing the same. After doing some research on the computer, I noticed there were recalls on the crankshaft sensors and the ECM. I contacted Nissan dealer, an appointment was made and I was told that my VIN number is not showing so the problem had to been done, because I'm the second owner. It's funny how this problem comes about after 4 1/2 years of having this vehicle and the recall suppose to have been taking care of with the first owner. This is an inconvenience and it's frustrating. There is also rusting of the floor under the car, you can see the floor coming down from under the car on the passenger side. This is an outrage and something needs to be done at the cost of the dealers and not the owners. This is dangerous, you can be driving at a speed and the car just stop, which can cause a very bad accident.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 142014

• 1,025,677 miles

After going to my destination for 35 min stopping a gas pump after getting back in the car in wouldn't crank only after 2 hours. After getting back on the highway within 5 miles in stopped on me in the middle of the highway going about 55. Sat on side of the road for 2 more hours before it started again.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Jun 082014

Altima 4-cyl

My wife was driving the car at 25 mph and the car lost all speed as if the brakes were implied and almost caused a three car pile up. Now the car is stuck in 5th gear. I am really worried because my 2 year old daughter was in the car at the time. I have done research online and this is a major problem.

- Travis Afb, CA, USA

May 052014

Altima 6-cyl

The transmission is stuck in 5th gear, even if you try to downshift it manually it wouldn't come out of 5th gear.

- East Patchogue, NY, USA

Feb 012012

Altima 4-cyl

About 2 yrs ago the engine light came on in my Nissan. I took it for a diagnostic and it came up with two codes that at this point I don't remember. However, what I was told is that I needed my crankshaft sensor replaced. I checked online for information about this sensor and I came across a recall for this sensor. Around the same time my headlights started burning out bulbs also. I also noticed there was a recall on a headlight issue. I contacted a local dealership to check my VIN to see if I qualified for the recall and I was told my VIN was supposedly one of the impacted ones. Which is too coincidental. My car stalls while running and at times will not start. And I say will, because, I brought it in to 2 different shops for replacement and neither could find a compatible sensor. They even ordered one from Nissan and it did not fit and were unable to fix it. They apologized and said that I would be able to drive it but would eventually need to somehow replace it. I have since continued driving it, as it is the only vehicle I have. It has gotten worse and turns off my often. I am asking for some type of help. I am out of options. I am afraid it will one day shut off as I driving and cause a catastrophe.

- Waukegan, IL, USA

Aug 112009

Altima 4-cyl

Car will not accelerate and creeps along in limp home mode. Its vehicle speed control problem is exactly the same as NHTSA recall 13V43000 of Sept. 26, 2013, that affects Nissan infiniti models. After stopping and restarting once or twice the problem will disappear. In traffic this is very dangerous. It happens 2 or 3 times a year.

- Weatherby Lake, MO, USA

Jun 202013

Altima 4-cyl

The car stalled out... almost got hit.... had the throttle body replaced..looked online and saw there was a recall for this year model and in touch with Nissan and they said there was no recall on this particular VIN..from what I read all Nissan Altima's were recalled for this part..I also did not receive notice. Can someone check this VIN ast and let me know...thank this car has very low mileage and is well maintained.

- Dumont , NJ, USA

May 312013

Altima 4-cyl

NHTSA campaign number: 07V527000 summary: On certain passenger vehicles equipped with a 2.5L engine, the crankshaft position sensor can overheat causing a brief interruption in the signal output from the sensor with regard to above recall details, when I provided the VIN to Nissan dealership, they don't see any recalls for it. But it is quite dangerous to drive with this mechanical problem in the car. Appreciate if appropriate safety care is taken by manufacturer.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

May 222013

Altima 6-cyl

The first time car stopped running while driving 35 mph. The second time it stopped running while turning and the steer got real stiff. Thank god there was no accident but it was real scary!!!

- Lisle, IL, USA

Mar 232013

Altima 4-cyl

I was starting my car on 03/23/2013 and it would not turn over at all so I tried three additional times and then the check engine light came on I called Nissan regarding the recall for the crankshaft issue only to be told that my car is not under warranty or a recall and I have read several post of people having the same issue and Nissan is not owning up to and taking care of the issue furthermore when I am driving the engine starts to want to stall but thankfully I was going at a decent speed for it not to do that I did go to have a test ran on the engine light coming on and it came back to be a speed control sensor and crankshaft I went to O'reilly's auto parts and when I told the Nissan rep he says that the machine at O'reilly's was only taking a guess but I dont believe that one bit.

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Apr 182012

Crankshaft position sensor bad, part has a known defect from the supplier yet Nissan will not replace or call recall notice. Car can shut down while driving, high risk for fatality.

- Newtown Square, PA, USA

Apr 102012

Altima 4-cyl

Make: Nissan model: Altima model year(s): 2005 NHTSA campaign id number : 07V527000 component: Engine and engine cooling my car started having problems and it would not pass inspection because of the engine light alert. The reason was due to the crankshafts which I replaced but kept having the problem. The mechanic suggest to look up any outstanding recalls and I found the above campaign which describes my problem exactly. All I need to do is take it to the dealer to reprogram the ECM. The dealers states that my car is not part of the recall and want to charge to get it reprogram. Why should I pay for a manufacture defect when there is an outstanding recall on this problem. The cars has no other problems and the only reason why it won't pass inspection is because of the problem described above. I don't see why this should be and I need a recall notice to take to the dealer to get the car ECM programmed. Or do I have to be involved in accident before the problem can be corrected. Thank you

- Nanuet, NY, USA

Aug 232011

Altima 6-cyl

While transporting with my 1 and 2 year old in my vehicle driving about 30mph my vehicle suddenly shuts off.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 242011

Altima 4-cyl

The following is a detailed account of the automobile accident that occurred on February 24, 2011. At approximately 11:30am, while driving my father's 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S, which I regularly drive, I pulled into the parking lot of a local shopping center. I pulled into a parking space in which my vehicle was separated by a curbed sidewalk in front of the building. I placed the gear shift into park while the engine was still running. I glanced to the right of me at the passenger's seat to make sure I had my belongings. My hands were neither on the steering wheel or the gear shift when unexpectedly the vehicle instantly launch forward. It jumped the curb and hit into the shopping carts which were between my vehicle and the building's wall. The car began to lurch back and forth violently, ramming into the shopping carts, causing my body to also be tossed back and forth in the same manner. I placed the gear shift into reverse to try and remove the vehicle from the sidewalk. Immediately after I was able to remove the vehicle from the sidewalk I put the gear shift back into park. However the vehicle continued to move backwards with as much force and velocity as it exerted when it first launched forward. I found myself speeding backwards so rapidly that I had no means of stopping the car. The car finally came to a stop after it struck two vehicles that were parked across the parking lot.

- West Sayville, NY, USA

Feb 072011

Cars power started fluttering around 45-50 mph, like it was wanting to die. It had previously died while were checked they came up as bad crank and cam sensor..and bad speed sensor.and catalytic converter..noticed car was under re-call..towed it to dealer they flashed ECM..when we were driving car home all problems re-occurred..had codes checked at another garage all the same ones came up..called dealer they were no help at all and wanted to charge us to check codes told them we already had them and they said its not their problem...they have no interest in addressing the real issues or fixing what the real problem is, what a rip-off..

- Crothersville, IN, USA