CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2006 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Mar 032014

Altima 4-cyl

Noticed left side driver's side floor and side rail is rusted through completely, no accidents or other incidents occurred to cause this.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Apr 082015

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for an unrelated repair and discovered that the there was rust present on the driver and passenger floor panels. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed with severe rust. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Dartmouth, MA, USA

Apr 082015

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for an unrelated repair and discovered that there was rust present on the driver and passenger floor panels. The vehicle was taken then to the dealer and diagnosed with severe rust. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000. Updated 7/21/15 the consumer stated the dealer repaired the vehicle, at not charge. Updated 08/04/15

- Dartmouth, MA, USA

Apr 032015

Altima 4-cyl

After hearing of other Altima owners having problems with drivers side front floor boards rusting out premature. I looked at the floor boards on my Altima only to find a large hole rusted through the drivers floor board making it unsafe to drive.

- Elizabeth, WV, USA

Apr 072015

Altima 4-cyl

I found out today at a routine oil change that I have significant rust damage to the floor board under my car. At this time it is my understanding that Nissan is doing nothing in regards to the many complaints of the same issue. It appears that the first layer has eroded away and the second layer is already rusted and peeling. It is unknown how long it will take to erode through the to the interior of the vehicle. I have two young children and no longer feel safe in this car.

- Carbon, IN, USA

Dec 152014

Altima 4-cyl

Front driver side and passenger sides rusted completely through. From underneath, you could literally push the carpet up with your finger - there was no metal there - all rusted! approximate size of the hole was 18" long by 12-14" wide. Same thing with the oil pan we had to replace. My husband saw the rust on the oil pan, pushed up on the area of rust and put his finger through. Had to replace. I have pics of the rusted out floor. Other than this, it's been a nice vehicle, however, we are stuck with it. Cannot sell the vehicle to anyone knowing it could hurt someone and we would have to dump a ton of money in to repair. The nada value is for "clean" is $7,075. Value for "rough" is $3,100. A difference of almost $4000. I just purchased a Kia...

- Hanover, MI, USA

Floor boards rusted out.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Altima 6-cyl

Driver side floorboards badly rusted.

- Channahon, IL, USA

Altima 6-cyl

Both driver and passenger floor pans have rotted through from the inside out.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Apr 022012

Altima 6-cyl

The floorboards on my 2006 Nissan Altima are rusted out. I've been informed by my body shop that this is a well known problem due to a design flaw in the car. Apparently the floorboards rust from the inside out. I called Nissan and they told me to buy a new car and offered employee pricing. They took no credit for the problem. The issue is very well know - see www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/rust-N333291.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Feb 122014

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the front driver and passenger floor panels rusted severely. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed the floor panels needed to be replaced. The repairs were made to the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000. Updated 5/26/15 updated 9/17/2015

- St Augustine, FL, USA

Mar 232015

Altima 4-cyl

Floor boards on both drivers and passenger side are completely rusted through. Insulation and carpeting are falling though the floor. Very unsafe. Contacted Nissan both corporate office and local dealership. Neither will do anything about the situation. This issue coincidentally made national news this morning. A number of Nissan owners and mechanics/body work technicians were interviewed. All said the same thing. The independent auto repair shop person I got an estimate from this morning said it was because the air conditioning evaporator is located in such a way that its draining inside the floor of the car. I don't understand how Nissan does not have to take responsibility for this issue. I have a case number with Nissan and the local dealership gave very expensive estimate to have it repaired.

- Rocky River, OH, USA

Mar 012012

Altima

I was told in 2012 by my car maintenance sho, that my car had a rust hole on the passenger side of my 2006 Nissan Altima. Now, 3 years later it has grown quite large. I was told I have to get it repaired before I have my car inspected in March of 2016. This is quite a problem for me since I am retired an living on a fixed income.

- Marcellus, NY, USA

Altima 6-cyl

Floor boards are rusting out on both sides of the vehicle making it unsafe to drive. The damage is extensive and has likely been rusting for quite a few years. Vehicle is maintained and washed regularly. Expense to fix the floor boards is more than the value of the vehicle. Common problem among these cars and should be recalled by Nissan.

- Wales, WI, USA

Mar 312015

Altima

While driving my entire vehicle will periodic jerk. Its done it numerous times since its began. Now the service engine light is on. The paint on my vehicle is also faded and the clear coats has come off. I have seen plenty of other people on forums complaining about the same things. So it appears to me that Nissan is falling down on the job and should be issuing a recall of some sort about these problems. I have two small children and cant afford something catastrophically happening to my vehicle.

- Macon , GA, USA

Oct 032012

Altima

Rusted through floorboards both driver and passenger side.

- Atkinson, NH, USA

Feb 022015

Altima 4-cyl

2006 Nissan Altima in excellent condition with the exception a significant structural defect. The floor panels on both the driver and passenger sides are severely corroded. This came to my attention while the car was at an independent auto shop for routine maintenance. The car has been well maintained and cared for. With the exception of the rust problem, the car is in excellent condition. It is incredible that the floor pan of a fastidiously maintained, modern unibody automobile would rust out almost completely within eight years. After a little research, it became apparent that this is a common problem for the 2006 Altima. Nissan is aware of this dangerous issue but they have no intention of rectifying it. Representative at Nissan usa with whom I spoke informed me to bring my car to a Nissan dealership for an estimate of the necessary repair. I brought the vehicle to decormier Nissan in manchester, ct and received an estimate of $1,700 plus tax. I again called Nissan North America and my case was transferred to the Nissan regional office. The representative informed me that my car was out of warranty and that the rust was due to salt applied to the roadways in ct, therefore Nissan would not be offering financial assistance in the repair of my car. She suggested that I pay for the repair out of pocket and wash the undercarriage regularly. The car is washed often. By hand during the temperate months and during the winter months at a car wash where the undercarriage is also washed. I have owned, driven and cared for a number of imported and domestic vehicles within the state of Connecticut for many years and have never experienced this type of issue. After research, it became evident that this is a common problem for this particular vehicle that has recently surfaced. Nissans response and lack of culpability pertaining to this issue is absolutely unacceptable.

- Colchester, CT, USA

Oct 282014

Altima 4-cyl

My 2006 Nissan Altima's floorboard is rusting through on the drivers side. This is a known defect that Nissan takes no responsibility for and my local dealership admitted as much. There is an engineering defect that causes this particular spot to be vulnerable to rust. This could become a safety issue.

- Waltham, MA, USA

Feb 042015

Altima 4-cyl

I was coming off 295 and hit a patch of black ice lost control of my car and hit a guardrail. The air bags never went off and everyone at the scene was trying to figure how or why they did not go off. My car is totaled.. updated 02/19/15 updated 3/30/2016

- Taunton, MA, USA

Jan 312015

Altima 4-cyl

I checked the underside of my vehicle only to find that the floor board was rusting out heavily on the driver side. I checked online and saw that there has been many complaints about this and that Nissan refuses to address the problem. Very upset about having to fix this.

- Piscataway, NJ, USA